Josh watched Katie as they were walking through the restaurant. Alex had told him that this Katie girl was pretty, but really the way he describe her gave her no justice, she was beautiful.

He had been a little surprised that they had invited him, even though he is staying at Alex and Addy’s place, he wasn’t expecting anything else.

It had been a while since they really had hung out, but Alex told him that a girl he really had to meet would be there, so he really didn't know what to expect from dinner.

Alex had been trying to hook him up for the past year. He really had no interest, but he remembered Alex's words when he picked Josh up at the airport, "Hey you don't know what will happen. Its just dinner with two old friends and one new friend." 

Getting to the table they all got settled, and Katie watched Josh from the corner of her eye trying not to get noticed.

Addy really never talked about Josh, so Katie knew nothing about him, so why was Addy trying to hook her up with him?

Suddenly blue eyes locked with hers. Her checks went red with embarrassment, and her head shot down to look at the menu. Fuck. She really didn't even know where to begin to talk to him.

Looking next to her, Addy was laughing at something Alex was saying. God sitting alone in her apartment with Ben and Jerry's sounded better. 

"What are you thinking about so hard?"

"Ah what?" She quickly said, snapping her head up to look back into blue eyes. "Nothing, sorry."

Josh smiled wide, "So, how do you know Addy?" 

"We work together at the Pikes Peak Advertising. So, what brings you to Denver?”

"Oh, Meetings. So it’s just a quick trip."

"Doesn't sound all that fun."

"No, this will probably be the only fun I'll have while I'm here." 

Katie laughed. She was about to say something when the waitress walked up. Everyone ordered another drink. 

"Can we have a few more minutes," Addy said looking up. 

"Of course take your time."

"Thank you."

Josh watched Addy take a drink of her water. "Alright Addy, what's up?" he asked.

"What do you mean 'What's up'?" Addy replied taking a drink of her water. 

"Well for all the years I've known you, you usually have a beer or a some kind of fruity drink when you go out, so what's up with the water?"

"Yeah Addy, you didn't even go out for your daily 2:00 Starbucks run, so what is up?" Katie added. 

Addy just looked at Alex, who just shrugged, she sighed, "Fine, I'm 3 months pregnant."

That’s when Katie started hitting Addy on the arm, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Hey! Stop hitting the pregnant lady!" Addy said grabbing Katie's arm. "And we only found out a month ago, and told my family last night at dinner, and also called Alex's family last night to tell them too!" 

"I can not believe you didn't tell me."

"I just did."

Katie laughed but shook her head. "You're going to be a great mom."

"Aww thank you." Addy said giving her a large hug. "This is why I love you."

"You know that he or she is going to be spoiled."

"I have no doubt about that."

"Did your mom cry?" Katie asked.

"Of course she did. You know my mom. She's already trying to figure out what it's going to be. At dinner, she was like ‘I can tell it’s going to be a boy, and I should know because I had 3, although I’m thinking it might be twins because I had those too,’ and I’m like yes mom that would be Casey and I, and yes I know you had 3 boys, since they’re my older brothers,” Addy said rolling her eyes.

"Congrats Addy," Josh said. 

"Thanks Josh."

"She's glowing already," Alex spoke smiling; reaching over he took her hand. 

"I love you." 

"I love you too." 

Blue eyes met again making them both smile and Katie and Josh were very happy for their friends. 

Just as the appetizers were coming, Katie looked up and her eyes got wide. This was defiantly not good, so she kicked Addy under the table, however she ended up not hitting Addy.

“Ow!” Josh yelped.

Katie turned bright red, “Sorry that was me, I was trying to hit Addy and guessed I missed.”

“You guess you missed? I think you did miss,” Addy laughed. “Plus, why do you keep trying to hit the pregnant lady?”

“I guess it brings me joy,” Katie smiled. “Anyway, look who just showed up.”  

 “Great,” Addy signed rolling her eyes.

“What?” Alex asked.

“Douche ass is here,” Addy said, “And with what looks like his skank of the week.”

Josh kept looking back and forth between the three friends.

“What? What’s going on?”

“Oh just Katie’s ex, Trevor, just showed up. Why is he even here? He doesn’t even work or live near here,” Addy said.

 “Well hello Katie,” Trevor said approaching the table.

“Trevor,” Katie replied.

“Hi Addy, Alex,” Trevor smiled.

“Jackass,” Addy replied under her breath, only to get a kick from Alex. “Hi, Trevor.”

“Trevor,” Alex replied, both Addy and Alex never really liked Trevor from the moment they met him.  There was just something about him that was kinda off, they thought.

“What are you doing here?” Addy asked giving Trevor a death look.

“Just checking out the new place in town.” Trevor replied.

“Okay, so you’ve checked it out and now you can leave.”

“We were just on our way out, but then saw you guys and wanted to say hi,” Trevor said giving Addy the death glare back.

“Alright well hi, and now bye,” Addy said.

“Bye,” Trevor said as he and his skank of the week left the restaurant.

“Oh god,” Katie said putting her head in her hands.

“Well that was interesting,” Josh replied.

“Sorry about that.”

“Don’t be sorry. It’s happened to all of us at one time or another,” Josh smiled.

“Why yes it has, in fact, last year it happened to Josh, when we were out to dinner back in Vermont,” Addy said. “So don’t worry about it Katie, it happens to the best of us.”

 

After a couple of hours, and the entrees and desserts enjoyed, that’s when Alex & Addy decided to head home, but insisted that Josh and Katie stay and continue chatting.

“Alright you guys, we’re going to head home,” Addy said standing up.

“Yeah, I got early morning rounds tomorrow morning,” Alex said standing up himself.  “But you guys are welcome to stay. Josh, you got the spare key, and know how to get back to the loft right?”

“Yep, I think I know how to get back, it’s just down the street right?” Josh replied

“Yeah, and I’m sure if you lose your way, I’m sure Katie can guide you,” Addy smiled as Katie just gave her a “what are you talking about” look.

Around 1:00 in the morning, Addy heard the front door to the loft open, so she tried to shake Alex awake. However, that didn’t do the trick, even after a few more times, so in order to wake him, she kneed him in the back.

“Ow! What was that for?” he asked rolling over to look at her.

“Josh just got back,” Addy smiled.

“Um, okay…”

“Well it’s 1:00ish, that’s 4 hours after we left them at Bliss,” Addy said.

“So?” Alex sighed closing his eyes. “Can I go back to bed? I have to be up in 3 hours for 6:00rounds at the hospital.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Addy sighed.

“Thanks,” he said trying to get back to bed.

“I should text her,” Addy thought out loud.

“Addy, please let her be. You’re going to see her in 7 hours, and then you can gossip then,” Alex said with his eyes closed. “So please put the phone away!”

“Fine,” Addy said placing the phone on her side table on her side of the bed.

“Actually, give it to me,” Alex said holding out his hand as Addy placed her phone in it. “That way you won’t be tempted when it’s over there.”

In a few seconds he was sleeping again, while Addy just laid there thinking for a few minutes then rolled out of bed. Pulling her robe on, she quietly headed out of the bedroom and heard noise in the kitchen so she headed that way. Leaning against the door jam she watched her friend look in to fridge. 

"What are you looking for?" She giggled as she watched him jump and slam the door. 

"Shit Addy."

"What you doing Josh?"

"I... I was looking for some water."

"It's called a tap Josh,” she said pointing to the sink

"Ah yea true." He said pointing a finger and going to the cabinet. Grabbing a glass he poured some water and took a long drink. 

"Are you drunk?"

"No!" He paused and looked at the ceiling. "Ok maybe buzzed."

"So where have you been?"

"What was the restaurant called?"

"Bliss?"

"I was there."

"With?"

"Katie, duh. You guys did leave her there with me."

"You were with Katie this whole time?"

A goofy grin formed on his lips. "I was."

"And by the look on your face. You had fun?"

"It was fun."

Sitting down at the bar, she placed her head on her hand. "Am I going to get any details?"

Josh stared at her for a few minutes then shock his head. "Nope I’m going to let you suffer."

"What! That's just not fair. You did get her home, right?" 

He gave her a hard glare. "Of course I made sure she got home. I'm not a retard."

"Sometimes that’s debatable when you’re drunk,” Addy mumbled. “I was just checking. I want my friend to be safe."

"I'm not a jackass you know."

"Josh I didn't imply that. So what did you do?"

"We talked."

"You talked and drank?"

"Yep, I have to go to bed. I have a meeting in the morning. You should be in bed getting your rest."

"I'm just fine. Did you kiss her?"

"It wasn't a date."

"So, it doesn’t have to be a date to kiss her. So, will you be asking her out on a date?" Addy said standing up from the bar.

“I’m not saying anything, Nosy Rosy. Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t, I’m only in town for 2 more days, but now it’s time to go to bed,” Josh said spinning Addy towards the direction of the bedroom.

“Fine,” Addy said heading back to bed. “You suck!”

“Yes, I know I hear it all the time,” Josh laughed as Addy disappeared into the bedroom



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc