The next morning, Addy was alone in the loft when she woke up. Alex was already at work, and Josh was already at his meetings. She reached over, and grabbed her phone from Alex’s side, and to her surprise she had no messages from Katie, which could mean one of two things: Katie really had a great time or Josh killed her. So Addy sent her a message, Hello! Are you alive?, and then got ready for the day.

As she was walking to work, she got a text message, hoping it would be Katie, she sighed when it was just Alex saying they were going to do take-out for dinner and just stay-in.

Since Katie had yet to reply to her, Addy stopped at Starbucks, once again to get Katie coffee. It was her go-to trick to get Katie to talk, or agree to something. Plus, the Starbucks employees were starting to worry since Addy didn’t show up for her 2:00 run the day before, like she has everyday for the last 3 years, since her and Alex moved to Denver.

Addy arrived at her office and noticed that Katie wasn’t in yet, which again could be a really good or a really bad thing. However, just a few minutes after Addy arrived, Katie arrived, and after giving her a minute to get settled, Addy walked over and into Katie’s office.

Addy shut the door, “Alright woman, now that I know you’re alive, tell me details of what happened after we left.”

“There’s no details to tell,” Katie simply stated.

“Oh come on! I even brought you coffee,” Addy smiled setting the coffee on Katie’s desk and taking a seat.

“Like I said, nothing happened!”

“Something had to happen if Josh got back to our place at 1 in the morning. That’s 4 hours after Alex and I left!”

Katie sighed, and was about to say something when there was a knock on the door. Addy got up and opened the door to see the receptionist holding a vase with a dozen roses.

“I got a delivery for you Katie,” she said.

“Just put them on the table,” Katie said pointing to the round table in the corner of the office. The receptionist put them on the table and then left.

“And you’re telling me nothing happened?” Addy questioned looking at the flowers.

“Exactly!” Katie said as she grabbed the card that was in the flowers. “Plus, these aren’t from Josh…”

“Then who could they be from…” then it hit Addy. “Oh god, please don’t tell me they’re from Trevor.”

Katie looked at Addy and nodded ‘yes,’ while closing her eyes and handing the card to Addy to read.

“Katie- it was great to see you last night. I would love to take you out tonight,” Addy read aloud. “Please don’t tell me you’re going to take him up on his offer.”

“Oh hell no!” Katie said and then mumbled, “I already have plans.”

“What was that last part? I couldn’t understand your mumbling,” Addy said.

“I said- don’t you have a client meeting to go to?”

“Yeah, Adam and I have one with the Rockies and some of their players, including Casey. But, I will find out what happened last night after we left,” Addy said opening the door.

“No you won’t, especially when nothing happened,” Katie said pushing Addy out of her office.

“Oh I have my ways,” Addy smiled walking back to her own office.

 

After the meeting with the Rockies was over, Addy and Adam were packing up their things when Addy’s twin brother, and Rockies catcher, Casey, came up to her.

“Hey you wanna grab lunch?” Casey asked.

“Yes, please! I need to pick your brain,” Addy said as the 3 of them walked out of the conference room. “Hey Adam, I’ll catch you back at the office, I’m gong to grab lunch with Casey.”

“Sounds good. I’ll see you when you get back,” Adam said just as the elevator door open.

“Okay,” Addy said, “So, where do you want to go?”

“There’s a sandwich place across the street,” Casey said. “I just have to be back at 2:00 to get ready for tonight’s game”

“Perfect!” Addy smiled, she always enjoyed lunch with her brothers, especially Casey.

After they grabbed their sandwiches, they found a table to sit at on the patio.

“Okay, so why do you want to pick my brain?” Casey asked his sister.

“Okay, so Josh is in town right?”

“Right…”

“Well, last night we went to Bliss for dinner, Alex brought Josh, since he is staying with us, and I brought Katie hoping that something will happen between the two. Well, Alex and I left around 9:00 because Alex had to get up early for work, so we left Katie and Josh there hoping something will happen, and I think something did”

“What makes you think something happened?” Casey asked taking a bite of his sandwich.

Addy took a sip of her water, “Well I think something happened because Josh didn’t get back to our place until 1 in the morning, and this morning Katie was just acting weird, she didn’t even answer my text this morning! Plus I think I heard that she had plans tonight, and Katie NEVER has plans on a Tuesday night.”

“Did Josh indicate that he had plans tonight?”

“No, but when I asked how it was and mentioned Katie’s name, he got this goofy grin on his face, but again he did say he was buzzed, so I really don’t know.”

“Well, why don’t you do what we did when we were kids, go spy on them, just like we would do on Jakob, Lukas, and Erik on their dates,” Casey suggested, reminding her of the fun they had spying on their older brothers.

Addy’s eyes got wide with excitement, “Casey! You’re a genius!”

“Of course I am! Plus it’s in your nature, as Jakob, Lukas, and Erik did the same to us, so it’s in your blood.”

“But, how exactly am I going to find out where they’re going for dinner or whatever they’re doing tonight?”

“I don’t know. Follow them from work? Tell Alex you’ll be late for dinner? There has to be a way to track her phone location,” Casey asked.

“Actually, why yes there is! The app is called ‘Find My Friends’ and I know she has it and is on my list of friends because I had to guide her to a party once, and I don’t think she ever disabled it. See she’s in her office right now,” Addy said showing Casey her phone.

“Does she know it’s on her phone, and it’s being used in the background?”

“I don’t think so, and I don’t think she even remembers having it on her phone. I think Josh has it on his phone because he’s also on my list, but I know he has his turned off because he doesn’t want people to know his location while he’s working”

“Well there you go,” Casey smiled as Addy got up and hugged him from behind.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! I got get back to work though,” Addy said wrapping up the rest of her sandwich. “I love you, and I’ll text you later with what happened. Good luck tonight!” and with that Addy was already down the street on her way back to work.

While she was on her way, she texted Alex, ‘I’m going to be late for dinner, working late’ and with that she put her phone back in her bag and walked back to work with a smile on her face hoping that her and Casey’s plan will work.

 

Addy headed back to work, her brain was in overdrive thinking about her best friend dating Josh. Josh had a long stream of women. Most of them hung him out to dry, especially the last one. Then there was Katie, who hadn't dated since dumbass ripped her heart out, and the bastard still comes around. She hated the guy with a passion; there was just something about him that stirred her the wrong way. Addy truly hoped that things had sparked between Josh and Katie, as it would be good for both of them.

 

Getting back to the office she went straight to work. She could see Katie working in her own office; the flowers already in the trash, making her giggle a little.

 

It was close to 5:00 when she noticed Josh walking into their main office, her mouth hung slightly. He was picking Katie up from work. Damn. He waved to her with a large smile, and she couldn't help but wave in return. He was so cute and adorable when he looked happy. Getting up she went to her door, and leaned against the door jam.

"Evening Josh."

"Evening Addy. How are you?"

"Good, and how are you?"

"I'm doing well, just picking up Katie for dinner," he said, his cheeks going red.

"So you DO have plans tonight?"

"Yea.." He was going to say something more, but Katie walking up ended his train of thought. "Hi Katie."

"Hi Josh." Her cheeks reddened.

Swallowing thickly, he rubbed his hands together. "Are you ready?"

"Yep, I just need to get my coat and purse."

Katie tried ignoring Addy because she knew she was standing there with a large grin on her face. Quickly she went back to her office to retrieve her things, her eyes floated to the flowers in the trashcan, and cursed at them. Looking up, she looked at Josh and Addy, she didn't know where this relationship was going to go, but it had to be better then the relationship she had with Trevor, right? Closing her door she walked back over to her friends.

"Ready."

"I'll text you later Addy."

"You better! Have fun you two."

"Thank you Addy," Josh said helping Katie into her coat. "I'm starving."

"Aren't most men hungry all the time."

Laughing Josh held out his arm. "Yea, I suppose we are hungry all the time."

Taking his arm, she looked up and smiled. Josh felt like he was going to melt to the floor.

 

Addy watched them leave, then went back into her office to gather her things. Looking at her phone, she knew she should call Alex, but she decided to wait. Locking the door, she went to follow her friends because she needed to see how they acted together



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc