"So how were your meetings today?" Katie asked when they were finally seated.

"They were alright, boring. How was your day?"

"Boring."

Josh looked at Katie, he watched her for a few seconds. Her eyes shinned a deep blue in the dim light, then he remembered the flowers in her office.

"Who were the flowers from, and why were they in the trash?"

He watched her face wrinkle in disguised.

"They are from that guy who came up to the table last night. My ex, Trevor."

"I'm taking things ended badly."

"Very, he's not the smartest man on this earth."

Josh clapped his hands and laughed making Katie laughed with him.

"Me and him were a bad idea."

"I got the impression Addy hates him."

"Very much so. Alex also dislikes him. So, how does a handsome men like you not have a girlfriend?"

"My job mostly. I travel a lot, and along with my ex, who took a car and ran over my heart."

"Ouch."

He quickly took a long gulp of his beer.

 

Addy took a seat at the bar; she had full view of her friends sitting at a table. They were each drinking a beer, and she could see they were enjoying themselves. It almost felt bad for spying on them, but then when her drink came and she heard Josh laugh, and that’s when she changed her mind as this was going to be fun. That’s when she got a text from Alex, Where are you? I know you’re not at your office… as you didn’t pick up your office phone.  Addy just ignored the text, and threw her phone back into her bag.

 

The waitress's walked up and took their order. Both Josh and Katie were in the mood for burgers, laughing at each other each other when they had ordered the same thing.

"So besides for loving burgers and beer. What do you like to do?"

"Hmm... That's a long list. There really isn't anything I won't do, but I love camping, hiking, swimming, and drinking," Katie said laughing.

"It's a good thing you live in Denver."

"Right, it's all here. How about you?"

"I don't mind doing what you have said, but I'll add watching football."

"Of course you would. I like watching football, football and drinking go hand and hand."

Josh laughed out loud. "Yes it does."

"So what were your meetings about?"

Taking the last gulp of his beer, he smiled. "I'm moving to Denver. They were finishing up all the details."

Katie's jaw dropped slightly. "You’re moving here?"

"Yep in the next couple of weeks."

"Wow, are you excited?"

"Yea I am, I'm really excited," Josh said smiling, then saw a familiar face in the bar trying to hide behind a menu.

"That's great Josh."

"I'll be right back," Josh said excusing himself to the bathroom.

Katie took out her phone when he disappeared, and saw there was one message.

Hope you are having fun. Addy had written.

Yes. Katie responded.

With that she put her phone back into her purse. She really was going to have to fill in her friend.

"Hi Addy." Josh said sneaking up behind her.

Addy jumped and turned around. "Shit Josh!"

"Now who's scaring who," he said with a large grin.

"Haha,” Addy said rolling her eyes.

"What are you doing here Addy?"

"I'm having a cup of water."

"You're spying."

“Me spy? No…” Addy said as Josh just stared at her. “What? I’m having a cup of water, this place is known for their water”

The bartender just looked at her, and Josh had his arms crossed over his chest, before pretending to start digging a hole.

“Will you stop doing that?” Addy asked swatting at his hands.

“I’ll stop, once you stop digging yourself a hole,” Josh said.

Katie started wondering what was taking Josh so long in the bathroom. ‘Did he die in there?’ she asked herself as she looked in the direction of the bathroom. That’s when she saw Josh talking to someone at the bar. Katie got up from the table, and walked that way to see if Josh was okay and was ready to ball him out just in case.

Once she saw whom he was talking to, she just rolled her eyes and joined the two.

“What are you doing here?” Katie asked.

“I believe she’s spying on us,” Josh said.

“Actually, I just wanted to try this places amazing water,” Addy smiled and took a sip. “Yum!” Then the bartender leaned in.

“I hope you’re going to order more than water,” the bartender said.

“Shh,” Addy said, signaling the bartender to turn around and mind his own business.

“Actually she was just leaving,” Katie said pulling Addy off her chair.

“Wait! I can explain,” Addy said.

“Okay. Explain… this better be good,” Josh said.

“It was Casey’s idea,” Addy said, hoping they would go along with it. They didn’t.

“Alright, if it’s Casey’s idea, where is he then?” Katie asked.

“Well… since he has a game tonight, he wanted me to fill in for him,” Addy smiled.

“Nope… sorry,” Josh said as the bartender interrupted their conversation.

“Wait?! You’re Casey Enstrom’s sister?”

“Yeah… so?”

“He’s one of our best customers! I knew you looked familiar, you guys kinda look alike…”

“Um yeah we’re twins… Now can you please, um, turnaround and mind your own business?” Addy smiled, and then rolled her eyes.

“How did you find us anyway?” Katie asked.

“Um…” Addy didn’t know how well this would actually go over, “Kinda followed you, and tracked your phone.”

“YOU WHAT?” Katie shouted.

“I’m calling Alex to come get you,” Josh said.

Addy sighed as Katie death glared her.

“I’m sor…” Addy started, but Katie shushed her.

“No! Don’t say anything,” Katie sternly said.

Addy just sighed and shut up, as she looked over at Josh, who was on the phone with Alex.

“Yo dude! Come get your wife,” Josh said over the phone, not letting Alex answer with the general “Hello?”

“What she do this time? Wait- don’t tell me, I don’t even want to know,” Alex said standing up from the couch and grabbing his keys.

“Just come get her.”

“Where are you guys at?”

“Corner of Blake & 17th,” Josh said reading the address off the front of the menu.

“I’ll be there in less than 5,” Alex said just as Josh hung up the phone.

Josh returned to where Addy and Katie were.

“Alex will be here in 5 minutes to pick you up,” Josh said, patting the top of Addy’s head, as she swatted his hand away. “You really did it this time.”

“But I…” Addy started.

“No, don’t say anything. You’ve already done enough,” Katie said before heading back to their table.

Addy sighed and sunk further down in her chair.

“I think you’ve outdone yourself Addy,” Josh said.

“I know,” Addy said with her head down in shame.

“What do you think you would’ve accomplished?” Josh asked.

But before Addy could answer, Alex walked into the bar. Alex couldn’t help but smile at how adorable his wife looked as she had her head down in shame.

“Hey- you ready to go?” Alex asked Addy.

“Yeah,” Addy sighed standing up. “Oh Josh just remember these 5 things: Spring Break, Freshman Year, dinner, spyers, Alex’s parents,” she said before meeting up with Alex who was at the door waiting.

“Uh? What? Whatever,” Josh said confused at what Addy was telling him, as he headed back to the table.

Addy started to wave bye to Katie, but Katie just glared at her and turned her back on Addy, who hung her head as she left with Alex.

“I can’t believe she did that,” Katie said.

“Well to be honest, I can. After knowing Addy, for as long I’ve known her, she’s done worst,” Josh said as their burgers arrived.

"I just didn't think she would spy on me." Katie said staring at her plate.

Josh shook his head. "It's Addy she loves us. They problem is she didn't mean anything about it."

"Maybe for you, but. I don't know. I've never had friends who really cared about who I have dated."

Grinning, Josh took a bite of his burger, he liked that Katie had said dated; it meant they had a chance. Looking up he could see that Katie was still thinking about it. Reaching over he took her hand into his bringing it to his lips he kissed it softly.

"Katie go back to the great time we were having."

Looking up Katie smiled. "Thank you."

Josh started them on a new conversation getting them laughing again.

 

After they were finished eating and the bill came, Katie began taking her wallet out.

"Katie what are you doing?"

"I... Sorry I'm so used to paying."

Josh shook his head on disbelief. "Seriously, this Trevor guy is on my shitlist," he said taking his wallet out and handing a credit card to the waitress.

"Yea, he's great at the ‘I forgot my wallet.’"

"He needs to turn his penis in."

Katie busted out laughing, "Addy has told him that a few times."

Josh just laughed and shook his head.

The bill came back, and Josh sighed and stood up to help Katie with her coat. She turned right to him and placed her hand on his cheek.

"Come back to my house for a beer. I'm not ready for tonight be done."

Leaning down Josh kissed her cheek. "I thought you would never ask."

Katie grinned and took his hand leading him out of the restaurant



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc