The next morning, parking the car in short term parking Katie followed Josh into the airport. They stopped at the small cafe before airport security getting a coffee and muffin. They had spent an amazing evening together. Josh took Katie's hand softly.

"I really had a great time Katie."

"I really had a great time too. I wish you weren't leaving."

"Me too, but I'll be back soon."

"I hope so," she said looking up and smiling.

Putting his hand gently on her cheek, he leaned in and kissed her softly.

"I will call you."

"Travel safe."

Putting her hand around his waist she moved closer. She hugged him tightly, going against everything in her head. She could have a chance of never seeing him again. Taking a deep breath, she pulled away trying everything to keep her emotions in check.

"I have to get going to work."

"Ok."

"Thank you for the past couple of days."

"It was my pleasure, thank you for last night."

Katie smiled. "It was my pleasure."

One last kiss and hug then Katie forced herself to walk away. She took one last look to Josh going thru security, and then walked out of the airport heading to her car.

 

Around 10:30 a.m., Addy was knee deep in paperwork, when Katie walked into her office with a smile.

“Here’s your key,” Katie said putting the key on the desk.

Addy grabbed the key, “Thanks.”

Katie was worried about this one, Addy never just said one-word answers to her, and so she took a seat across Addy. “Aren’t you going to ask how last night went?”

“No, not really,” Addy said as Katie felt her forehead to make sure she wasn’t sick.

“Are you feeling okay?”

Addy removed Katie’s hand, “I’m fine, plus I didn’t think I had to ask how last night went after seeing your smile this morning, plus I also kinda figured what happened from Josh’s text to Alex last night. I also didn’t want to butt in after I know how pissed off you guys were last night.”

Before Katie could respond, the receptionist came into Addy’s office.

“Oh good, Katie, you are here. You have a visitor,” the receptionist said.

“I’m not expecting anyone until later this afternoon,” Katie said as she looked at Addy, who just shrugged in response.

“I know there’s something going on with you Addy, and I will find out what it is. You can’t get rid of me that quickly,” Katie said as she left Addy’s office and headed into her own.

Before she walked into the door, she stopped dead in her tracks.

“Trevor, what are you doing here?”

Addy peaked out of her office, and was sort of able to see inside Katie’s, and she saw that Katie did indeed have a visitor, and it was Trevor.

“I just wanted to take you out to lunch, so we can talk about things,” Trevor said grabbing one of Katie’s hands.

Katie quickly took her hand back from Trevor’s grip, “I don’t think so Trev.”

“Oh come on its just lunch, nothings going to happen,” Trevor said flashing his charming smile. “My treat.”

Katie was never one to say no to ‘free’ food, so she agreed, plus he was right, they needed to talk.

Katie sighed. “Fine… let’s go,” she said as she grabbed her purse.

“Great!” Trevor said guiding her out of the office.

Addy saw what happened and quickly texted Alex, even though he would most likely not see it for a couple of hours. 

Katie went to lunch with Trevor- not jumping to conclusions just yet… but interesting

And to her surprise, Alex actually replied.

Good- don’t be jumping to conclusions… jumping is bad

**

"What do you want Trevor?" Katie asked watching him carefully. She really didn't know why she was sitting across from him.

"Can't a man have lunch with a friend?"

"We aren't friends Trevor."

"Aww Katie that hurts. I thought we could be friends."

"So no flavor of the month?"

"Man you act like I'm a slut."

"If the shoe fits."

"Come on Kate, let's just have a nice lunch, please."

Katie eyed him. She really never figured out what she saw in him, and all she could think about was Josh.

"Fine."

 

About an hour later, Katie came marching into Addy’s office and slammed the door, causing Addy to jump in her chair, as Katie threw herself onto the loveseat with her arms across her chest, and fire in her eyes.

Once Addy’s heartbeat returned to a normal pace, she looked at Katie, “So, I’m taking it that lunch didn’t go so well?”

“That would be the understatement of the year- it was the worse lunch in the history of lunches! I don’t even know why I agreed to go!”

“Because you fell for his charm again, probably offered to pay, and you can never turn down ‘free’ food,” Addy said knowing she was spot on, and Katie rolled her eyes.

“That wasn’t even the worse part! I ended up paying because he “forgot” his wallet,” Katie said.

“So why did you even agree to go to lunch with him?”

“Because I thought we could talk, and I would finally get it through his non-existent brain that it’s over for us and has been for the last 2 years!” Katie said “And, I told him it’s almost getting to the point of legal action”

“And what was his reaction?”

“He just kinda laughed, and that’s when the bill came…”

“And he made you pay,” Addy said finishing Katie’s sentence.

“I kinda wish you were there, I would have given you permission to punch him straight in his pesky little face,” Katie said, smiling at the thought.

“Um after last nights incident? I don’t think so,” Addy said.

“Which by the way, after thinking about what happened last night, I’m not mad at you for what you did,” Katie said.

Addy looked up from the papers she was going through, “You’re not mad?”

Katie smiled, “Well kinda, but after thinking about what did happen. I’m lucky to have a friend, who cares about me that much to actually make sure I would be okay, even though you’ve known Josh longer, it still felt nice, plus you’re really the only one who knows about the string of crap dates I’ve been on lately, and you were there during the Trevor ordeal, so I kinda forgive you for last night- keyword kinda,” Katie said.

Adrea got up from her desk and sat on the loveseat next to Katie and hugged her. “Thank You! Plus even though I’ve known Josh longer than I’ve known you, I would still punch him if he ever did or does anything to hurt you,” Addy said as Katie took in the hug. “Plus, I’m guessing that he didn’t tell you about a similar incident that involved him, some of Alex’s other friends, Alex, and I did he?”

"No he didn't, but I did get some other great stories about you"

Addy laughed. "Oh great, but we used to spy on each other all the time. The first time… let’s see it was Freshman year at BU, spring break week Alex and I went up to his parents in Vermont, and it was my first time meeting them. Well we go out to dinner the first night, and in the middle of dinner, we find Josh and 2 of Alex’s other friends spying on us because they thought Alex was making up that he had a girlfriend, and they wanted to see if it was true. Well after we found them in a nearby plant hiding, Alex’s mom asked them to join us at dinner. "

Katie laughed while shaking her head. "I forgot that you guys have know each for awhile."

"Josh is a good guy."

"I like him Addy, I really like him."

“That’s good because I believe he likes you, and you guys would be good together,” Addy smiled.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc