Author's Chapter Notes:
Will this whirlwind ever end?  You never know with these two.  They have that mad, mad love.

"Okay, thank you very much."

 

Johanna hung up the phone, relieved and frustrated at the same time.  If Justin had let her explain, she would have told him that she'd gone to her doctor.  She would've told him that there was no one else.  Instead he flipped out.  He should have known there was no one else and frankly she was insulted by the fact that he thought otherwise.  She didn't know where he went and at this moment she didn't care.  

 

She wasn't about to lay in bed all day crying over a man either, a little while later, she got back up and headed downstairs.  Maybe a chat with her bestie would make her feel better.  She let herself in the house and headed up to the nursery.  It was the only place Mollie ever was now a days.  She heard multiple babies crying and hurried in only to find Justin with a panicked look on his face and two babies in his arms.  

 

"Sit down.  They like the rocking chair," she said angrily.  

 

He obliged and she grabbed baby Joshua and laid him on the changing table.  After she was sure everyone was clean, she rocked them to sleep.  Justin was down to Ella and Johanna took Landon while the other three slept quietly.

 

"You're amazing with them," Justin said quietly.

"Thanks." 

"You're going to be a really great mom," he conceded.  "Look, I know there was no one else.  I shouldn't have said all of that.  I panicked.  My best friend just had five babies, at one time.  I know he can totally handle it, he's way more mature than I am but the thought that it was happening to me scared the shit out of me."

"Great," Johanna replied sarcastically. 

"It wasn't about you.  I want all of this," he said gesturing around the room, "with you.  I just don't think we're ready right now.  But if it's coming right now, we'll figure it out.  I'm sorry Joey."

"You know, for once I just wanted it to be a discussion, instead of an argument.”

 

She got up, placing Landon gently in his crib.  She turned to look at him.

 

“Did you ever stop and think I might be just as scared as you?  Did you once think about how it feels to be me?  The person carrying a baby?  To know that just when you thought you found the right man, the right relationship, that it might all come crashing down?”  She wiped a tear that slipped out.  She headed for the door.  “For your information, the doctor called.  I’m not pregnant.  You can celebrate alone tonight.”

 

She walked out the door and left Justin with some serious thinking to do.   

 

 

Justin stood for a long time outside Johanna's front door.  He debated listening to her orders and heading home, but decided against it.  He slipped in and headed upstairs, the sound of music calling him forward.  When he reached the top of the stairs he recognized what it was.  It was the song he wrote for her and sent her a few weeks ago.   He found his way into the bathroom where he saw her in the tub.  She glanced up at his arrival then closed her eyes again.

 

"Can we talk?"  She didn't respond.  "Okay, I'll talk.  I'm stupid.  I'm 24 and this is my second real serious relationship.  I know that I should understand the consequences of sex and what happens when you don't use protection, and I do, but they've never been real until I found that stick.  I want you to know that my panic was completely selfish.  You're right...not once did I think about you.  I thought about my career, my lifestyle, selfishly not wanting to share you just yet.  I didn't think about you because I knew you could handle it.  I don't want you to think that I don't realize how it would have changed both of our lives, I just had a knee jerk reaction."

 

She had opened her eyes and held his gaze as he spoke.  He didn't know how she was feeling but he had to apologize.

 

"I want all of that with you, I do.  Marriage, kids, a home, forever...I want all of that.  I just want us to be able to be us first.  We've only been fully together for a little while now...our time will come. Forgive me?"

 

She sighed.  Of course she had to forgive him.  She'd had those same thoughts when she first took the test.  She'd just hoped he would have thought about her just a little.  "Get in," she said, giving in.

 

He smiled and stripped.  Stepping into the bath, he sat across from her, taking one of her feet in his hands and massaged gently.

 

"So, are you okay?" He finally asked. 

"Yeah.  I mean I was scared but I actually had started picturing what it would look like, and what we would do...I was almost disappointed when the doctor called."

"Our time will come.  Let's just hope it looks like you because I don't want to give my kids this big old honker," he said, grabbing his nose. 

"As long as they have your height, I always wanted to be tall."

 

And just like that they fell back into their routine.  When they crawled into bed that night, Johanna let out a sigh of relief.  She'd always wanted to be settled and have someone to call her own and now she had it.  She couldn't wait to see what was next.

 

 

……

"I could fly like this all the time," Johanna said, reclining her seat back and sipping champagne.

"First class ain't so bad huh?" 

"It's no private plane," Johanna said, referring to their trip to London.  "But it'll do."  They both laughed as the flight attendant came over the loudspeaker.

"Please put your seat back in the upright position and make sure trays are folded up and locked for landing.  All electronics should be turned off and seat belts should be buckled at this time.  We will be arriving at Los Angeles International Airport shortly." 

"So, remind me of the schedule?"  After a long stretch of love and freedom, it was time to get back to work.

"Off your game, huh?" 

"Well, I'm no longer the assistant, remember.  I'm just a makeup artist now."

"Well, tonight, I take you on a romantic date.  Then tomorrow we head to the studio to finish some things up with Tim. Sunday we're off, Monday we have a meeting with the label to let them hear the album one last time and decide when it's going to come out." 

"I'll have to find something to occupy my time while you have meetings."

"No you won't, you're going with me." 

"Is it appropriate to bring your girlfriend to a work meeting?"

"No," Justin replied, "that's why I told them you're on my management team." 

"Justin!"

"Joey, it's not a half bad idea, okay?  I mean look how you handled the Superbowl fiasco.  That's exactly how a manger should be.  Plus...I may have already had Johnny add you to the payroll." 

"Do I get any say in this?"

"Sure you do.  I just figured it would be better to have you in a position of power this time.  Plus, they always send someone from management on tour with me...who better than you?" 

"And what do I get as part of management?"

"Your share of 15% and benefits...lots of benefits," he said, wiggling his eyebrows. 

"I'll think about it."

"I'll make you an offer you can't refuse."

 

They had a smooth landing and waited as everyone else exited the plane.  Justin's strategy was that everyone would clear out and he could have a straight shot to baggage claim.  He wanted to avoid any sort of ruckus.  He was right, they slipped off to baggage claim, sunglasses and a hat for Justin, just the sunglasses for Johanna.  Justin pulled their shared bag and Johanna followed behind, purse on her arm.  Justin had already called to make sure Trace was waiting out front.  When they got to the doors, it was clear their little plan wouldn't go off without a hitch.  Photographers were lining the sidewalk, cameras at the ready. 

 

"Shit, I really thought just this once I could get away with it," he said, annoyed. 

"I take it this is all for you?"  A deep voice came from behind them.  They turned and found a policeman.

"Afraid so," Justin said. 

"Want a little help?"

"If you could."

 

The police officer signaled to his partner and the two of them went ahead, parting the seas.  Justin took firm hold of Johanna's hand and ducked his head as they walked towards Trace's car.  Justin opened the door for Johanna and helped her in.  She slid down the seat and he quickly shoved the suitcase in the backseat.

 

"Justin, who's the girl?  Is that your girlfriend?  Justin when will you have new music?  Justin did you send Britney's baby a gift?"

 

He shook his head and got in beside Johanna.

 

"They're so annoying!  Why would I send Britney a baby gift?  Did "Cry Me a River" not make it clear that things didn't end well?  Do I have to be asked my thoughts on her life constantly?" 

"Yes, we all wanna know," Trace said from the driver's seat.

"As a matter of fact, I did not send her anything.  I was too busy," he said, pulling Johanna closer. 

"Hey now, seat belts on, hands off in my truck."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers assistant tour soloj drunksex justin friendswithbenefits