The light was harsh as Johanna attempted to open her eyes.  When she cracked them, she immediately shut them again, burned by the bright light streaming in the window.  She rubbed her eyes, brushing away dry pieces of old mascara.  After a moment she opened them again, letting them adjust to the morning sunlight.  After a moment, she felt an instant panic.  Something heavy lay across her midsection and the clothing on the floor was not solely her own.  She peered over her shoulder and saw Justin lying beside her….but she was naked…and so was he.

 

Johanna cursed herself, connecting the dots of last night.  She slipped quietly out from under his arm, slid her dress on, collected her undergarments, shoes and purse, and slipped out the door.  She could not believe she’d slept with Justin.  She shook her head and prayed nobody else was awake yet.  She snuck down the hall to the room she’d gotten for last night and tumbled in, throwing down her stuff and heading for the shower.  The shower knob creaked as she turned it and the water shot out from the spout.  She undressed and took off her jewelry, stepping into the shower.  The water was scalding and it cleansed her skin.  When she stepped out, her skin was red from the heat but she felt slightly better.  As she dressed, she tried to figure out how she could avoid Justin for the rest of the day. 

 

Justin heard the click of the door shutting and opened his eyes.  She’d escaped.  He’d been drunk the night before, but not drunk enough to forget what happened with Johanna.  To be honest, he’d hoped it would happen.  She was gorgeous and funny and sassy.  He liked girls who challenged him and she was definitely a challenge.    He got ready and headed down to the lobby, expecting to find Johanna there, waiting to ride with him to the airport.  Instead he found his bodyguard with a message that Johanna had left early and changed her flight to an earlier one.

 

On his own flight home, he settled into the cushy first class seat, glaring at the empty one next to him.  He was frustrated that Johanna had gone so far out of her way to avoid him.  Was he bad in bed?  No, he’d been with other girls after Britney and they had all seemed more than satisfied.   Did she really hate him?  That couldn’t be it either; though they fought, there was something in her eyes that showed she was having fun, that she thrived on it.  She couldn’t avoid him forever.  He’d offered her a job the previous day as his personal assistant.  They’d always had one as a group and he figured now that he was trying out a solo career, he would need some help keeping everything straight. She’s seemed intrigued but now he feared everything was fucked up.  He’d see her again tomorrow. 

 

 

The next day after Mollie’s recital, the gang was hanging out at her house, having a cookout.  Justin kept locking eyes with Johanna, who had managed to continue evading him.  He stood, frustrated, and nursed a beer, wondering what was on her mind.  He didn’t have to wait too long though, after talking to Mollie for a while, Johanna headed over to him.

 

“Hey, I think I know you, weren’t you naked in my bed yesterday morning?” he said, his tone snarky.

“Yeah… about that,” Johanna said, her hands in her pockets.  “Listen, I want the job you offered me, so we probably shouldn’t have any…uh, slips like that again.  It wouldn’t be professional.” 

“You’re not very good at this huh?”  Justin replied.  “The whole, morning after.  Or in our case day after.”

“No.  But I meant what I said, we should probably not do this if we’re working together.”

“Alright.  Then pack your bags baby because we’ve gotta hit the road on Monday.”

“Really?  It’s Saturday night…” 

“Welcome to my world Johanna Ramos.”

 


Johanna found herself in a dance studio in Los Angeles two weeks later, sitting in on yet another dance rehearsal for Justin’s upcoming tour.  She’d dived right into her role as his assistant, making sure his schedule was in place, handling his personal mail and fielding calls.  She liked her new job and she thought she was doing well.  Justin seemed to like her just fine most of the time but his relentless flirting was ever present.  She tried many times to shut it down but he didn’t seem to get the hint.

 

Sure, he was gorgeous, anyone with eyes could see that.  He was talented, charming and sweet, and that night they had together was amazing but it was also a mistake.  He was younger than Johanna by a few years and now he was her boss.  It would be all sorts of complicated if they started a relationship.  Not to mention he got on her nerves, all the time.

 

“Hey Joey,” he called, snapping her out of her haze.  “How’s about you go get me a sandwich?” 

“And…” Johanna prompted.

“Don’t forget the mayo?” 

“Please?” she said, reminding him of his manners.

“Girl you ain’t gotta say please, you want it you just say when.” 

“Nice, you kiss your mother with that mouth?  Speaking of which, I’ve been meaning to call Lynn and…..”

“Don’t call my mother.” 

“Then speak to me with respect or your sandwich might come with some spit instead of mayo.”

 

She marched out of the room, heading for the door.  She’d get everybody lunch, they’d put in their orders earlier, but tiffs like that were what drove her nuts about him.  They were moving onto promotion for the tour the next day and she did not want tension when they’d be traveling together all day every day.

 

Upon her arrival back, everyone ate and continued on with their day.  Johanna fielded a few e-mails and stepped out when a call came on the phone Justin had given her for work.

 

“Hello?”

“Hi, um I’m looking for Justin.”  Johanna could tell by the soft sweet voice who it was. 

“Britney?”

“Who is this?” 

“This is Johanna, I met you briefly at an Nsync show…Mollie’s friend?”

“Oh hey.  Why are you answering this number?” 

“I’m actually Justin’s assistant now, believe it or not.  He needed one, I needed a new job, its working for now.  Do you want me to get him?”

“No…I probably shouldn’t have called.  I just…don’t know why he’s making certain comments lately.  I feel weird about the whole thing.  You know, it’s not worth the argument.  Can you just tell him I got his message and I’m around if he wants to talk about it?” 

“Sure.  I can do that.”

“Thanks Johanna.”

 

 

Johanna hung up the phone and headed out to the lobby.  Justin was waiting for her to ride back to the hotel.  She climbed into the car next to him and debated telling him that Britney called.  His mood had been hot and cold with her as it was and she didn’t want this to cause another cold front.  As she chewed her lip, she could feel his eyes on her.

 

“What’s up with you?” 

“Nothing.”

“You’re biting your lip, something’s bothering you; it’s your tell.” 

“I don’t have a tell.”

“You do.” 

“I don’t but anyway.  Britney called while you were finishing up.  She wanted me to tell you that she got your message and she’s around if you want to talk to her.”

 

 

Justin looked out the window and his expression instantly changed.  She thought at first he was sad but then he looked annoyed.

 

“I don’t want to talk to her.  I was just being polite and giving her a heads up about the video.”  They were headed to a video shoot for the next two days for ‘Cry Me a River’ which was about Britney.

“Okay,” Johanna replied.  She didn’t know the story of their breakup but she could guess from the song. 

“She doesn’t even deserve a heads up in my opinion.”

 

Johanna thought it best not to comment on the situation, especially since she didn’t know what went on.  When they got back to the hotel, he was silent in the elevator.  He’d booked a suite with two rooms and she was staying in one, him in the other.  She didn’t know if this was a normal occurrence in the celebrity/assistant relationship or just because they were friends before, but Johanna wasn’t hating on the luxury.

 

Justin headed for the shower and Johanna decided to order them some room service.  He’d worked hard today and then clearly took the Britney news badly so she figured it would make him feel better.  Just as he was stepping out of his room, the food arrived and she set it up on the coffee table.

 

“You set this all up while I was in the shower?”

“Yeah.  A good assistant is always two steps ahead,” Johanna said with a smile. 

“And the pie?” Justin said, lifting the lid on dessert.

“You seemed like you needed a pick me up.” 

“Thanks Joey,” he said, with a sincere smile.

 

They watched TV as they ate and a movie came on.  They watched for a while longer and before they knew it they were asleep.  When Johanna woke after rolling into his body, she shook her head.  They’d agreed they wouldn’t get themselves into situations like this.  She headed to her bed and climbed in, grateful she wouldn’t have to sneak away in the morning.

 

Things in the morning, however, were no less awkward than they’d been after they’d slept together the first time.  Justin was grumpy, giving her short answers on questions and the silent treatment in the car.  It was times like this that reminded her just why she felt they needed to not get involved with each other.  He was hot and cold.  Yesterday they were two friends, eating dinner and chatting but this morning, they were strangers. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers assistant tour soloj drunksex justin friendswithbenefits