March 24, 2013

1:00pm

Formosa Cafe

West Hollywood Gateway, 7156 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046



“I think we should just go with Nicole and Trish, and forget a third female vocal.  They can carry their own, and I have Vince as male backup.”

“I’m telling you, we need someone there to round the sound out.  I could hear it in soft rehearsals. Something’s missing.”

I sigh harshly.  “I’m really not in the mood to sit in for auditions all day, Daryl.  Rehearsals start next week, and I want relax until then.”

“Justin it’s one day. You’ve put all this effort into your project and now it’s tour time.  Please don’t bail now, all right?  Johnny is counting on me to make this an amazing production, and I can’t do it if I don’t have the right people involved.  You’re so anal I can’t make a decision without you, so…please, just do this for me.  One day, that’s all I’m asking.”

It’s been a whirlwind, getting this album written, put out, and promoted.  When I went into the studio with Timb over a year ago, I didn’t expect to walk back out twenty days later with two albums worth of material.  It feels good to be back in the game.  It really does.  Acting was fun, but my heart has always been in the music.  It’s been really exciting to see peoples reaction to the albums.  I didn’t do as much promo as I did for Future Sex.  I just didn’t feel it was necessary, because…well, people were going to buy my album regardless.  

A million copies sold in the first week, after being out of the game for six years, is quite the accomplishment.

Touring is something I’m only partially excited about.  Don’t get me wrong, I love being on stage and everything, but it’s tiring.  It’s three to five years of my life, gone, and I’ve told plenty of people that before, but when Johnny sat down with me and said I could charge whatever I wanted for tickets, I guess I couldn’t refuse to do a giant world tour. At two hundred bucks a head for the floor, and upwards of seven hundred a head for specialty packages, I’ll be walking away from this thing richer than I ever could have imagined.

I’ll be exhausted though.  I’m still tired from touring with Jay over the summer.  I had fun.  It was fuckin’ awesome, but I didn’t think I’d be embarking on a major tour so quickly after it ended.  I got conned not only by Johnny, but my mom, who told me she’s been dying to see me ‘doin’ my thing’ again.  I can’t tell her no.  Poppa passing was hard on her, and I want to do whatever I can to get her out of that rut.  Still, I was looking forward to spending the rest of this week relaxing, chilling with my friends too, possibly going on a couple of dates with this girl that Trace introduced me to.  She’s friends with his wife and seems like a cool girl.  

Now it looks like my plans are starting to fall apart.  Daryl is right of course.  We do need another vocal.  I may be ignorant at times, but I know music.  The sound was getting muddled with one male vocal mixed with two powerful female. In a club setting it’s not as noticeable, but in a large venue it’ll make a world of difference, at least to me.  I’m very picky.  The fans don’t care about that stuff so much, they’re too busy screaming, dancing and getting drunk.  If I’m not happy with the sound though, I can’t do a good show.  Daryl Ambers is the best in the business, and I should know better than to argue with him.  I’m paying him to make this tour incredible.  

“How many do I have to see?”

“I have twenty three.”

“Damn.”

He shrugs.  “Word got out, and a lot of them are from Johnny’s list of contacts.  They all wanted a shot and I couldn’t say no.  It’ll start in the morning and flow into the early afternoon.  If it gets too late, we can always do the final cut the following day.”

“Tell me who’s going to make the final five or six.  I know the rest are just a formality, Dar.”

“Tricia Lanes, Robyn Burke, Sonya Young, this girl Kelsey Masters, from Johnny’s recommendations, and there’s this one other girl…I think she might just be a major undiscovered talent.”

“Where’d you find her?”

He laughs lightly.  “I’m not sure I want to tell you.”

“Why?”  I smile and sit up a little.  “Now you have me curious.”

“I saw her sing the other night, at a bar.”

“Which one?  Darks? Barring Bar?”

“No…not one of those elite places.  It was just a dive bar.  They had one of those karaoke dj’s, you know what I mean.”

I laugh at him, so hard, clutching my stomach and doubling over.  “You can’t be serious.”

“Hey, I know what I’m doing,” he says seriously.  “I wouldn’t have invited her to the audition if I thought she was that mediocre.”

I can’t lie.  I’m totally intrigued to see this girl.  A karaoke singer at a major tour audition? It’s never happened at one of mine, that’s for sure.  They never stick me with those kind of people.  Actually, at all the auditions I’ve ever held, I’ve seen the same group of singers.  Johnny is usually really hesitant to send me anybody else.  He knows how pissed I get if I have to sit through mediocre bullshit.  “Karaoke huh?” I finally laugh out.  “You better earn your paycheck with this one, Daryl.  If I don’t pick her, I’m never letting you live it down.  You realize you’re giving up a prime spot that you could have given someone else that has a hell of a lot more experience.”

He just smirks.  “We’ll see what you make of her.”

“You’re on.”
****************
March 25, 2013

9:55 am

LA Rehearsal Studios

 5327 Santa Monica Blvd. • Los Angeles • CA 90029

“Just…don’t say anything, to anyone.”

“Well I wish you would just tell me what this is all about,” My mother says, winded, as we race down the sidewalk.

I have exactly two minutes to check into this audition, or I’ll lose the whole thing.  I tried my best to get her up early.  Gary was gone, probably out spending the rest of the money he stole from my wallet at some point after I got home last night.  It was better that he did.  I didn’t have to deal with him, just with her.  Unfortunately, she was still drunk.  I had to run her under a cold shower for twenty minutes before she started to become coherent again, and then I begged her, pleaded with her, to come here with me.

I didn’t tell her what it was for.  I just said I needed her to come shopping.

“This doesn’t look like Walmart,” she says stupidly, as I stop in front of the doors.  It’s a performance studio where professional dancers and singers practice their shows, pre tour.  It’s amazing that I’ve been invited to go inside the place.

“Mom, it’s an audition,” I huff.

“Oo American Idol?” She grins.  “I love that show.”

“No, this is a real audition.” I roll my eyes. “You were a mess this morning.  I couldn’t leave you alone.”  I ring the buzzer.  “Please, can you promise me that you’ll be civil?”

“When am I not civil, Sterling?”

I sigh.  “Mom.”

“Fine…fine, I’ll be good,” she nods.  “You haven’t even told me what this is all about.”

“You’ll find out soon enough.”

The door swings open, and a burly black man is standing before me.  He looks like he could have been a linebacker on a football team, and all I want to do is run away.

“Who’re you?”

“Um…Sterling Daniels.  I’m here for the audition.”

He glances at his list and then looks back at me.  “It’s a closed audition.  Who’s she?”

“Hi I’m Denise.”  My mother gives him her most seductive smile and goes to shake his hand.  

He doesn’t shake it.

“This is my mom.  She…she can’t be left alone and Daryl said it would be okay if I brought her, just for today.”

The man glares at my mother.  “If you cause trouble, I’m throwing you out.”

“I cause no trouble sir,” she smiles.

“Hmph.” He rolls his eyes.  “Come with me.”

I grimace, and shoot her a dirty look as we’re lead through the double doors.  I can hear the music vibrating through the walls already, and I feel like I’ve stepped into a different world.  A weird sensation fills me up inside, telling me that this is where I’ve always belonged.  I notice that I’ve started to hold my head a little bit higher, walk a little bit taller.  Suddenly, I don’t feel so out of place anymore.

That is, until we reach the end of the hallway.

“Don’t mess around,” the burly man warns me.  “Check in with Rachael, and listen to what she tells you, got it?”

I just nod.

He glares at my mom one more time before he walks away from us.  “I’m watching you.”

“Geez,” she says, laughing a little.  “What is this, Ster? The military?”

I let out a sigh but don’t answer her.  I walk up to the table instead.  The woman sitting behind it must be Rachael, and I force my smile to fly on.  “Hi, I’m Sterling Daniels.”

“Hm…”  Her eyes scan the sheet laying on the table top.  “Right.  You’re just in time.  Your number is Eleven.  Go inside and sit down.  I’ll tell Daryl that you’re here.”

“O-okay.”

She points in the direction of another set of doors, glancing at me as if to say ‘god girl, where’d they find you?’.  I just walk quickly, trying not to draw too much attention to myself, and pray that my mom is behind me.  Hearing the clip clop of her stilettos though, is a sure sign that I haven’t lost her.  I yank open the doors, and see an entire new world come into view.  There’s dozens of girls scattered throughout the large auditorium, waiting for their audition to begin.  In the very front of the hall, is a huge stage.  A single piano is in it’s center, and the rest of the musical equipment, drums, guitars, and such, have been pushed to the back of the stage.  

“Okay…tell me,” My mom whispers in my ear as I try desperately to find a place to sit down.  “Who is it? Barry Manilow? No, it’s Bruce right? Bruce Springstein?”

“No mom,” I hiss, and walk down the next row of seats that I come across.  “Just sit down, okay?”

She does it silently, crossing her arms stubbornly across her chest.  

Great.  One down, now I just have to get through this audition, and beat out thirty other people for this one spot.  I wish Daryl had prepared me more, but if he had, I doubt I would have come.

We wait for over an hour.  Daryl comes out at some point, and he’s on his phone, rubbing his hand over his bald head as he talks to whoever it is.  He seems stressed, and I’m not really sure why, until another set of doors open near the stage and…

And Justin walks in.   Three people trail in behind him, and they’re focused, scurrying here and there, setting things up for him.

He looks better than his pictures.  I don't really have time to indulge in celebrities, and I could never afford to go to one of his concerts or anything, but I've always found him good looking.  I guess he would be my celebrity crush, if I had time for one.

“I told you I was in traffic!” He yells out to Daryl, and then looks out into the audience.  “Sorry everyone.  We’ll get started in a few.”

“Oh my…isn’t that JT?” My mom says, jumping out of her seat and craning her neck to get a closer look.

“Mom…mom…please.”

“Justin!” She screeches.  “Justin I love you!”

Oh my God.

“Sit down!” I hiss and tug at her leggings while she proceeds to wave her arms in the air.  My gaze lands on Justin, who’s standing there with Daryl.  He’s staring at my mother like he can’t imagine who would have let her in, and then…then he looks at me. I sink very low in the seat and cover my face with my hands.

“I love you too sweetheart,” he finally says, but it’s not with a smile.  He’s obviously pissed. “Can you me a favor though, and sit down?  I’m trying to run an important audition today.  You can holler all you want when I’m on tour, okay?”

“Oh…sorry,” she giggles.

She sits.

Wow.  That almost never works.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story