Mollie felt so relaxed when she got back from the salon.  She was excited to see a rental car in JC’s driveway, indicating that Johanna and Justin had arrived.  She had the driver drop her off there first and ran in to say hi.  She tried her best to play off their comments about her size and was kind of glad when they turned down her dinner offer.  Something was up with them she could tell and frankly, if they didn’t want to talk, she’d enjoy a nice evening with her boyfriend alone.

 

She stopped short when she opened the door to her house, finding it filled with beautiful flowers.  She smiled at how romantic her boy could be.  She walked over to the bouquet on the hall table to smell it and found a note sticking out of it.

 

Mollie,

The day of pampering continues.  Head out back and see what I’ve got for you.

-JC’

 

She smiled to herself and continued through the house, finding Boo asleep on the kitchen tiles.  She found a note taped to the sliding glass door and took it as she opened it and stepped outside.

 

I’ve set up a little something for you to see.  Kick up your feet and press play.’

 

Now Mollie was confused.  She sat on the adorable love seat that JC had set up in front of this large screen.  There was a projector on a stand and the yard was lit by twinkly lights.  She hit play on the projector and JC’s face popped up on her screen.  She could tell this was from a while ago by his hair.

 

“Hey Molls.  You’re probably wondering what the hell I’m doing right about now, as you sit up in my childhood bed alone,” he started to ramble.  It clicked for Mollie, his parent’s house last year on his birthday.  “I just finished talking to my dad.  I was asking him about how he knew my mom was the one… because I think you’re the one for me.  He told me that if I knew then it must be right but that I shouldn’t rush it.  If it’s forever then we’ve got plenty of time to be together.  Maybe he’s right.  I’ve just never felt like this before.  Nobody has ever understood me like you do.  Nobody had ever clicked with my family and friends the way you do.  I just wanted to make sure you knew how I felt, in this moment, while I felt it so strongly.”

 

The video faded to black and Mollie sat in shock.  She knew they had moved faster than most couples due to their situation but she hadn’t realized he’d felt so strongly from that early on.  The video came back up and there was JC with bed head and a sloppy grin.

 

“So many people would think tonight was a great night because we won a few awards and performed with a legend,” JC said.  This was clearly after the VMA’s.  “And don’t get me wrong, it was pretty awesome but for me, I think being able to introduce you to Michael Jackson, your idol and seeing your face light up was better.  Watching you dance on that stage, proud to be doing your choreography next to one of the biggest stars in the world…it was magical.  I learn more and more about you every day and today I was happy that we got to see each other do what we’re best at.  Again, I wonder why I’m waiting to make you mine forever but you know, I’ll be patient.  Love you.”

 

Mollie was in awe of his thoughtfulness and his commitment.  She listened to a few more before they got more serious.  Mollie immediately recognized the background as the walls of his room at his parent’s home.

 

“This silence is killing me.  I have to talk to you on this video because I refuse to believe I’ll never see you again.  You have to make it through this nightmare,” JC said, his voice breaking.  Tears were rolling down his face.  “I know that you and Johanna can do this…you have to do this.  I don’t know what there is for me if there is no you.  You can’t leave me.  We’re a team, bubby.”  Mollie smiled at his little pet name for her but she cried at his overwhelming emotion.  The video continued with a less sad but more anxious video.

 

“You just told me you’re pregnant and I can’t believe it.  I’m so excited.  If you had asked me if I wanted to have a child right now before you said it, I probably would’ve said no.  But hearing those words, my immediate thought was joy.  I can’t wait to see your belly get bigger and to plan things and pick out names.  Most of all I can’t wait to see this baby…the living proof of our love.”

 

“Mollie.  It’s been a few days since we lost the baby and you won’t talk to me.  I don’t think I’ve ever felt more lost.  My instinct in life is to protect you and make sure that you’re safe.  I couldn’t do that this time and now there’s nothing I can do to make you feel better.  I know there will be sunshine at the end of this darkness.  When we get through this, we’ll be stronger than ever.”  He paused, fiddling with something in his hands.  He held up the small velvet box.  “I was going to surprise you with this when I got home from the trip.  I went back to the store where I saw the ring I thought was perfect for you and I was going to ask you to marry me.  Now you won’t even look at me…”  He bit his lip to hold back tears.  “I just hope you remember how much I love you...maybe that will lead you back to me.”

 

Mollie was a mess at this point.  He’d had a ring for months? This was a lesson in underestimating him, she’d never do it again.  The video continued and we finally got to happier times.  He made her laugh few times and she started wondering where he was.  She wanted to hug him and love on him.  Finally the video cut to him in what she was sure he had been wearing when she left.

 

“In case you couldn’t tell, I’ve been hopelessly in love with you for a very long time…turn around.”

 

Mollie turned and saw him standing out on the dock.  She didn’t know whether to laugh or cry as she walked to meet him.  She did both and when she got to him, he dried her tears.

 

“Mollie, I think I’ve loved you since the moment you ran into my kitchen in a bikini,” he said, as they both laughed.  “And I knew I wanted to marry you not long after that,” JC said, getting down on one knee.  “So will you make all of my dreams come true?  Will you marry me?”

 

Mollie cried and covered her mouth as he got down on his knee.  She thought the video might be leading to this but she wasn’t prepared for the sight of him in front of her.

 

“Yes!” she managed to get out.  She bent down and kissed him long and slow.  When she pulled back to dry her tears, JC slipped the ring on her finger.  It was gorgeous.  Not too big, simple and elegant, it was exactly what she would have chosen if she picked it out herself.  “You’ve really had this ring for a year?” 

“Yes.  I’ve wanted this for so long and after hearing about the babies, I knew I couldn’t wait one more minute.  Those babies deserve the world and I want to give that to them with you by my side.”

“I can’t believe you.  Whatever I did to deserve you, I hope I keep doing it forever,” she said, kissing him again and pulling him close.

 “Just be you,” he murmured against her lips. 

 

Waking up the next morning, Mollie held her hand up to her face and stared at the ring.  She couldn’t believe it was real and it took her a while to get up and start the day.  She had plenty to do, so upon finding a dress that fit over her sizeable stomach, she headed down to the kitchen.  She started on the pies and once they were in the oven, she moved on to peeling potatoes for dinner.  She was glad to see Johanna appear as she was mashing the potatoes.  She was getting tired on her feet and ordered her friend to transfer the potatoes to a baking dish and cover them and put them in the fridge.  Mollie sat herself on one of the high stools that lined the island in the kitchen and started chopping veggies and cheese for appetizers.  She’d already discussed with JC that she was going to tell Johanna about the engagement before the party.

 

“So, something happened last night,” Mollie said, holding up her left hand.  “Jayce proposed.” 

“Can I be honest?”  Johanna asked.  “I know, we saw you guys out the window.”

 

She ran around to hug her friend and the two giggled and talked excitedly about possible wedding plans.

 

“Well I definitely don’t want to be a pregnant bride.  I mean nothing fits me now as it is, I would never find a dress.”

“Well how long after you have the baby do you want to wait?” 

“I feel like Jayce and I have never been in a rush to do anything so for me, I’d like to fully experience the parenting thing before tackling a wedding and that stress on top of it.”

“Yeah, I mean a crying baby is kind of a buzzkill for a party.”

 “Hey!”

“Well your kid I’m sure will be great…”

 “Yeah,” Mollie said, knowing she was keeping another secret.

 

 The girls continued to get ready and before they knew it people were arriving.  Mollie flitted from group to group, trying to be a great host.  Dinner was great, she’d outdone herself but by the time they were clearing the dishes she began to get super nervous.  Everyone gathered in the great room and was chatting and laughing.  JC called for everyone’s attention and Mollie was excited to not have a secret anymore.  He started with the proposal which elicited cheers from everyone.

 

“But that’s not all.  By now you all know that Mollie is pregnant and some of you have made comments about her size,” JC started.

 “Jerks,” Mollie added, laughing.

“So we’ve decided to share with you guys that we’re pregnant with quintuplets.”

 

Instead of the cheers from earlier, they were met with dropped jaws.  Everyone had wide eyes as they processed the news.  Then they all ran up to them with hugs and congratulations.

 

“You could start your own boy band,” Chris joked.

 “Or girl band,” Kelly, Joey’s wife, added.

 

Mollie basked in the glow of the happy news.  She felt so loved and nothing in the world could break the bubble she was in at the moment.  She refused to let the nagging negative thoughts breakthrough.  Tonight, she was invincible.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: solojc