Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Bonus! Two chapters since I haven't posted much lately.

After a quick but playful shower, JC and Ken dressed in comfortable clothes and climbed back into her car. She had been pretty quiet and he worried that he’d upset her by accepting the invitation so he asked.

"No, boo." She glanced over at him with a soft smile. "I’m just nervous about you meeting them. There’s a LOT of family in the area so I imagine the house will be full."

"I’m sure I can handle them."

He smiled over at her and she chuckled, her hand patting his on her thigh as she navigated. He watched the buildings change. They went from nice condos to industrial buildings to tiny houses. He was surprised when she pulled up in front of a large two story house that sat on the corner of a dead end. The house appeared to be the watch house of the little neighborhood tucked behind it and JC was NOT surprised to see Ken’s Pop positioned on the porch, his eyes taking everything in. Earlier, JC had noticed Pop’s eyes were the same size, shape and color as Ken’s and he smiled.

"OK. We have to stay long enough to eat then we’ll make a quick exit."

"I’m sure I’ll be fine." JC smiled reassuringly at her. "It’s been a while since I met a woman’s family but I think I remember how it goes."

"I…I…"

"What, love?"

"I don’t know…" she paused and fidgeted before continuing, "I’m unsure how to introduce you. Is friend OK?"

"I’m good with friend because we ARE friends. I’m also good with boyfriend…if you are."

He watched her chew on the inside of her lip as she searched his face. He knew she was looking for any clue as to how he WANTED to be introduced and he smiled to reassure her. Boyfriend wasn’t a term he was super comfortable with usually but it felt like a prideful name with their situation.

"OK. I would like to leave here by 8. I want some alone time with you because I work the next three days, 12 hours each."

"It’s 3. I’m sure we’ll be on our way LONG before 8." He laughed and she only smirked back at him. "Right?"

"It’s our plan."

He watched Kennelly climb out of the car and he turned to do the same thing, jumping in his seat at the sight of Pop peering into the window. It took a second for his fingers to obey and open the door as his heart thumped wildly in his chest.

"I wondered if you’d show, boy."

"Hey, Pop." Ken laughed as she pulled him into a hug and allowed room for JC to get out of the car. "Is anyone here yet?"

"The important one is. You, a chroi."

"Pop, you sweet talker."

"Come. Inside, boy. You must meet my heart." Pop insisted as he marched JC inside. "Anna! Come meet Ken’s heart."

"Your heart?" JC smirked as he draped his arm around Kennelly’s shoulder. "Am I?"

Ken looked up at him and started to answer but was interrupted by the blast of noise that engulfed them as they entered the house. People were everywhere, sitting, standing, lounging. Children of various ages were playing on the floor, being held or running through the house. JC considered plugging his ears but didn’t because he knew it would be rude and offensive. He could feel his eyes widen at the sheer number of people in the living room and he tightened his hold on Ken. He felt her pat his back then he followed her through the swinging kitchen door.

"It smells amazing in here."

"That’s my Gram. She is happiest when she’s cooking for a huge group." Kennelly pointed to the tiny lady with a bun of gray hair on the top of her head. "She’s amazing."

"That must be where you get it from. You’re pretty damn amazing yourself."

Her eyes flipped up to his and she gave him a shy smile. He loved how her cheeks flushed and he made a mental note to compliment her more just to see that look on her face. He realized how much he wanted to know more about the older woman.

"Introduce me, please."

JC watched Ken square her shoulders and lift her chin before she took his hand and led him further into the kitchen. He saw three different pots on the stove and the left counter was full of spices and empty jars. He wondered how many hours this woman had already spent on dinner.

"Gram, I have someone who wants to meet you."

"Ah, my Kennelly. My beautiful granddaughter." Anna smiled and wrapped her arms around the younger woman, hugging her tight. "Pop says the fridge is toast."

"Yeah, but auntie will order a new one tomorrow. We’ll make do."

"You always do. Now, who is this handsome man?"

"This is JC."

"Hello."

JC smiled and stepped forward, expecting to shake the woman’s hand. Instead, he found himself wrapped in a surprisingly strong hug. His body relaxed into her and he hugged her back. She smelled of garlic and spices and her grey hair was very soft against his cheek. He held her until she patted his back and pushed him to arm’s length, her shrewd eyes taking him in from head to toe multiple times before she looked over at her granddaughter.

"He’s strong and healthy. I heard his heart, too."

JC froze, unsure where this was going and what the old woman thought she ‘heard’ from his heart. He wasn’t even sure himself what was in his heart when it came to Kennelly. How could she possibly know?

"Mom, don’t freak the boy out." Pam laughed as she came into the room and dropped her arm around Ken. "He is a fine looking man, though. I do enjoy his muscles."

"Aunt Pam, stop. You’re making him blush."

"What kind of a name is JC?" Pop piped up from the corner. "Does your mama call you that?"

"No, sir. My Mom calls me Josh or Joshua."

"Such clear eyes…very unique color…" Gram was still giving him a look over. "You like my Ken?"

"Yes."

"You treat her right?"

"Yes, ma’am."

"OK. You can stay for dinner."

Kennelly laughed and took his hand, pulling him away from the sink. He watched as Gram went back to stirring the pots and checking the oven. She was a tiny but impressive powerhouse and he knew she and Pop were a definite force to be reckoned with.

"Do you want some tea?"

He nodded and took the offered glass then followed Kennelly out to the backyard where even more children were playing on a well used swing set. A couple of adults were scattered throughout the fenced in yard and Ken waved to them before leading him to the two seated glider in the corner.

"So? How freaked out are you?"

"A little." He laughed and draped his arm around her shoulder. "Gram and Pop make a fierce couple."

"Yes, they do."

With a quick look around, JC decided they were secluded enough and pulled her closer, connecting their lips. He felt her sigh into his mouth and her hand came to rest on his chest. He swept his tongue into her mouth and released his own sigh before she ended the kiss.

"Hi."

"Hi. How are YOU doing with me meeting the fam?" His voice was quiet and their faces were still close. "These people are very important to you."

"You’re important to me, too."

"Good because I want to be."

She smiled and kissed him once more. Somewhere at the back of the house, someone started some music. A softer ballad started and Kennelly tucked her head under his chin as he listened to the words.

What's your all time high, your good as it gets?
Your hands down best ever make-up sex?
What's your guilty pleasure, your old go to?
Well if you asked me, mine would be you

What's your worst hangover, your best night yet?
Your 90 proof, your Marlboro Red?
The best damn thing you lucked into
That's easy girl, mine would be you

Mine would be you
Sun keeps shining, back road flying
Singing like crazy fools
Making up our own words
Laughing 'til it hurts
Baby, if I had to choose
My best day ever
My finest hour, my wildest dream come true
Mine would be you

"Who sings this?

"Blake Shelton," she answered. "I like it."

"Me, too."

What's your double dare, your go all in?
The craziest thing you ever did?
Plain as your name in this tattoo
Look on my arm, mine would be you

Mine would be you
Sun keeps shining, back road flying
Singing like crazy fools
Making up our own words
Laughing 'til it hurts
Baby, if I had to choose
My best day ever
My finest hour, my wildest dream come true
Mine would be you

What's the greatest chapter in your book?
Are there pages where it hurts to look?
What's the one regret you can't work through?
You got it baby, mine would be you
Yeah you got it baby, mine would be you

Mine would be you
Taillights fading
Daylight breaking
Standing there like a fool
When I should've been running
Yellin' out something
To make you wanna hold on to
The best love ever
Girl, can you tell me
The one thing you'd rather die than lose?
Cause mine would be you
Mine would be you, you

 

"Ken?!?! Gram says you have a man here."

"That’s my sister, Chloe. Brace yourself." Ken laughed and stood just as a petite red head came barreling out the back door. "What’s up, Chloe?"

"You brought a guy home?"

"Yes."

"Are you crazy? Gram is going to start planning your wedding tomorrow."

JC froze again. Was she serious? Did old people still do that? Crap!

"Ooh! Look at you," Chloe purred as she stepped around her sister and came to get a closer look. "Wait. You look familiar. Have we met before?"

"Chloe…don’t freak out…PLEASE," Ken begged as JC stood. "This is JC Chasez."

"FUCK! KEN! WHY DIDN’T YOU FUCKING TELL ME!"

"Hi. It’s nice to meet you."

JC stood there watching Ken’s sister’s reaction. She seemed to not believe her eyes before she shot a nasty look at Ken then a sly grin at him. She licked her lips and placed her small hand in his, leaning forward to offer a glance down her shirt.

"Hi," was her breathy greeting. "I’m a huge fan."

"Since when?" Ken asked and rolled her eyes. "I thought you wanted to rock Justin’s body."

"Shut it, Ken."

JC smiled at Chloe then released her hand to place an arm around Ken, his hand resting comfortably on her hip. She smiled up at him then turned her head back to her sister. Chloe’s mouth was hanging open and her hands were fisted on her hips.

"You’re fucking with me, right?"

"Nope."

"Ken," Chloe whined and stomped her foot. "How could you NOT tell me?"

"Chloe..."

"I tell YOU everything…how can you keep him a secret from me?...I’m your sister."

JC watched as Chloe pouted and sent Kennelly a guilt trip about her own personal life. He didn’t think it was fair and his siblings would never do that to him but he wasn’t sure of the dynamics between the girls so he just watched.

"It’s still very new and I didn’t want to jinx anything." Ken shrugged.

"But you brought him HERE."

"That just sorta happened. C was with me when I got the call about the fridge so he offered to help then Pop showed up and wouldn’t take no for an answer. I don’t usually introduce guys to family at this stage of a relationship."

"RELATIONSHIP!" Chloe exploded and drew the attention of several people. "THIS IS A RELATIONSHIP AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME!!

"Yes, it’s a VERY new relationship. Now shut up!"

Chloe had tears streaming down her face and she looked incredibly hurt. JC had a good view of Kennelly’s profile and he knew she was sorry for hurting her sister but also angry at her sister’s reaction. He patted her hip and sat down, giving them a little privacy. It took several minutes and a lot of heated whispering before Chloe stopped sniffling and Kennelly finally came to sit beside him again.

"She’s very dramatic." Ken sighed and rubbed his thigh. "She acts like I never tell her anything important."

"It seems like you don’t usually bring guys home."

"I’ve only brought one other guy home and he couldn’t keep it in his pants so he never got a return invite."

"Ah, Mr. Baby." He smiled and kissed her temple, his arm around her again. "I hope I get a return invite."

"So far, so good."

Chapter End Notes:

 

Starving for feedback! What did you think of JC meeting Ken's family? Did you like him helping out? Do you hate it?



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: girlontop friendswithbenefits drunkjc