JC felt Kennelly kiss him goodbye early the next morning but he went back to sleep. He woke several hours later to an absolutely quiet condo. He stretched out in her bed and laughed when he realized he could touch all four corners of her bed if he really tried. He took a quick shower then checked his phone, finding a lunch invite from him Dad so he called and accepted. He had a text from Joey Fatone and he called his friend.

"What’s up, dude?" Joe answered on the second ring. "How’s it hanging?"

"What’s up, man? How are the girls?"

"We’re all good. The girls miss their Uncle C though. You should stop over sometime soon."

"I need to. I will try to come over later this week. I’m in Chicago right now and I have a session on Wednesday."

"Come over on Friday and we’ll grill," Joe offered. "Who’s the session with?"

"This new kid…he’s an up and coming rapper but wants a hook for the chorus so I wrote something. We’re getting together for him to listen and see how it flows."

"That’s cool, man. Are you working on anything for yourself?"

"I have a few things started but nothing finished yet," JC said with a sigh. "Nothing is really settling in."

"It will. You’re one of the smartest songwriters I know."

"Thanks, man."

"Well…I just wanted to catch up and see if you wanted to hang soon. I’ll let you get back to your parents."

"Oh, uh…I’m not at my parents at the moment."

"Oh really?" Joe laughed. "Lance said there was a new woman sniffing around. Are you hanging with her?"

"I’m at her condo but she’s at work."

"Fabulous! I’d like to meet her if she’s in LA with you soon. OH! I think me and the family are going to Orlando for Labor Day. Do you want to get together then? Maybe take the boats out on the lake?"

"That sounds cool. I’m not sure what day will work best so I’ll chat with the folks and let you know."

"Is the new woman coming?"

"I…I don’t know, man." JC sighed and rubbed his face. "She’s great but things are still new and I don’t want to rush things. I haven’t introduced a girlfriend to my family since Eva."

"Girlfriend? Interesting, C."

"Ken is amazing…she is so smart and funny. She doesn’t demand anything from me and she works hard. She listens to me…I mean REALLY hears me."

"That’s awesome, buddy." Joe’s smile could be heard through the phone. "So why not take that next step?"

"She’s already met my Mom."

"HA!"

"My Mom ordered my birthday cake from Ken’s family’s bakery. I went with her to pick it up and introduced them."

"How’d that go?" Joe asked. "Ms. Karen usually goes with the flow."

"Mom just rolled with it. I introduced Ken as my friend tho…but the ‘rents saw through that. I’ve only been there about half of this visit."

"Sounds like you’re hooked, man."

"I’ve only slept with one person since I met Ken and I didn’t come. She’s done something to me."

"I’m happy for you, bro. We’ll talk later in the week."

JC hung up as he headed down to the kitchen and brewed a cup of coffee in the Keurig machine she had. He wasn’t hungry and his Dad was coming to pick him up in less than an hour so he didn’t make any breakfast. He looked at all of the pictures on her fridge and noticed a list of emergency numbers, adding Marilyn’s to his phone on a whim. He also noticed a printed schedule and was excited to see that she had four days off in a row in two weeks. He checked his schedule on his iPhone and he didn’t have any session scheduled.

The pictures reminded him of the Disney picture he’d brought for her so he headed upstairs. Once he’d removed the protective covering, he smiled at the frame he’d found to put it in then searched for the best place to leave it. He decided to add it to her collection of family and friends photos on the wall by the stairwell. He found a hammer and nail and added the picture, wondering how long it would take her to notice. He headed out to lunch with his Dad, grabbing the spare key she’d left on the kitchen counter for him.

He parked his Dad’s truck in front of the condo at 7:30 and was surprised to see no lights on. Ken was supposed to get off at 7 he thought and he hadn’t received any texts from her. He grabbed the sandwiches he’d purchased and headed inside. Grabbing a beer, he flipped channels until Ken arrived home nearly 45 minutes later. She looked beat and sad and he immediately hugged her close. She melted into him and he kissed her forehead before walking her up to the master bath.

"Do I want to know what’s on your scrubs?" She shook her head. "OK. I won’t ask. Are they salvageable?"

"Yeah, I just need to soak them."

He started a hot bath as she stripped off her soiled uniform. She looked dead on her feet and he decided to join her so he could take care of her. Together they climbed into the hot water and settled with her leaning back against him. He sighed at the feel of her against him and started working his hands across her shoulders.

"You don’t have to take care of me."

"I want to." He smiled and kissed her temple. "I know you’re extremely capable but I want to so please let me."

She nodded and seemed to enjoy his hands. He worked along her shoulders then down her arms before working his thumbs down her spine. She leaned forward to allow him more access and he continued until she had had enough and leaned back into him.

"So…I saw a copy of your schedule on the fridge…It looks like you have a four day stretch off in two weeks."

"I do." Eyes closed, her hands were resting on his thighs. "That’s when I have Lasix eye surgery, remember?"

"You didn’t tell me you were having surgery."

"Yes, I did."

"No, you didn’t." He was angry and he couldn’t really pinpoint why. "I was hoping you’d come out to LA again."

"I want to come to LA again but it won’t be in two weeks. I’ve already paid for half of the fee."

"So when do I get to see you again?"

"You’re welcome HERE anytime. I think I can get to LA the third week in September." She slid forward then turned to face him. "I have six days off around Labor Day but you have other plans so that’s the best I can do."

"Are you fishing for an invite to Orlando?"

"No. You’ve made it super clear that you aren’t ready for me to meet your family and I’m OK with that."

"I’m NOT ready to share them." He stood from the water, his skin pink from the heat. "What am I supposed to do sex-wise for six weeks?"

"Same thing I will be doing…abstaining or masterbating."

"Fuck that."

"Why are you so angry?" Ken asked, her face as red as her skin below the water. "This is what monogamy is."

JC couldn’t form words as he dried off then left the bathroom. He hated not knowing when he’d see her again and he couldn’t think straight. This uncertainty was a HUGE part of why he preferred FWBs. He stuffed his legs into some boxers then jeans. He needed space and time to think and he couldn’t do that here, surrounded by her and her smell. He needed to get out. That was his only thought as he tugged a shirt on then turned to leave, her shocked face standing just outside the bathroom.

"You’re leaving?" she whispered and he nodded, not trusting his voice. "I…I…Can’t you stay and talk this out? I don’t want you to leave mad."

"I need to think."

"So think here. Please."

"I need out." He hoisted his bag onto his shoulder as he started past her. "I can’t do this."

"Do what? Fight with me? Or monogamy?"

He didn’t answer as he trotted down the stairs, hearing her follow him. He didn’t trust his voice so he kept quiet and made it all the way to the door before she spoke again.

"I…I…JC, this is crazy. Just talk to me."

He stopped for a second and she caught up to him, laying her small hand on his back. He turned to face her, hating the tears swelling in her eyes. He felt his heart break but he didn’t know what he wanted or how he could face weeks without her so he remained silent.

"I’ll give you some space…but I want to hear from you. You need to figure out what you want from me and remember what I can give you. My life and jobs are here in Chicago."

His eyes etched everything about her face into his brain and he knew he’d never forget the look of hurt and confusion on her face for the rest of his life. She was so achingly beautiful as she tried to be strong and he loved her at that moment. He couldn’t bring himself to tell her but he knew he was in love with her and that scared him more than anything.

He watched her square her shoulders, lift her chin and rise up on her tip toes to kiss the corner of his mouth. Her touch was feather light and it felt like she was kissing him goodbye. He voice clawed up his throat but he couldn’t let any sound out as he turned and left, closing the door behind him.

The drive to his parents’ house was a blur and he really had no idea how he made it there safely. He made himself take several deep breathes before he entered the darkened house. He tossed his bag on the bed and sat, his shoulders slumping. His eyes stung, his ears rang and his heart ached but he couldn’t bring himself to say or do anything to ease it. He felt trapped and alone. His phone beeped and he dug it out of his pocket as a reflex.

I’m here. Talk to me when you’re ready. – K

Chapter End Notes:

 

That's it...that's all I have. What do you think? Did you like it?


Completed
KrisB is the author of 16 other stories.

This story is part of the series, Love Without Borders. The previous story in the series is L.A.. The next story in the series is ORD MCO HTO.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: girlontop friendswithbenefits drunkjc