Justin sat on the edge of the stage, a bottle of his own tequila '901' sitting beside him, along with a shot glass. The bottle was half empty thanks to the thoughts going through his mind. He sat there, swinging his legs and heaving out another sigh. On the other side of him, his phone lit up with a plethora of missed texts and calls.

Chris (group message: Sent to Justin, Joey, JC and Lance)- Happy New Year to my brothers from another mother!

His eyes went to the last message, frowning. Justin hadn't bothered to call any of them on Christmas, busy visiting his fiance's family and enjoying the holiday. Still they'd messaged and called him, leaving voice mails wishing him a Merry Christmas and give them a call when he could. By all accounts, Justin should have answered the phone and talked to them. It wasn't like he was busy, sitting on the couch watching Christmas movies.

Justin poured himself another shot and downed it. The tequila was smooth and burned slightly after it went down his throat. It had been two years since he'd seen all four of the guys. It wasn't like they were expecting something from him. He knew they weren't. They'd all told fans and the media numerous times that they weren't getting back together. However, Justin couldn't deny the fun and how the atmosphere changed when the other four men had joined him on stage back when he'd accepted the Video Van Guard award.

He sighed, his mind going back to earlier that had led him to be sitting on edge of an empty stage in a hotel, hiding. That had been three years ago and had changed his life.

Justin had been out shopping for some last minute groceries, trying to stay inconspicuous. His hat pulled low, sunglasses on. He was at a store close to their home, one that didn't bat an eye when someone came in. No one was dogging him, looking for a picture or an autograph.

“I'm so sorry,” a familiar voice said as she bumped lightly into him, passing to go down the aisle.

Justin saw her and smiled. “Mandy? Is that you?” he asked, watching her turn around in surprise. “You haven't changed in fifteen years...” he accepted her hug and chuckled.

“I've gotten older and so have you, Mister,” she told him, looking him over. “Do you ever miss it?” Mandy's brunette hair was pulled up in a messy ponytail, her body still in dancer form even though she told him she hadn't been doing any tour work since the Celebrity tour.

“At times. I miss the guys,” Justin admitted to her, thinking of the other four. “What are you doing to keep yourself looking like that?”

She chuckled, looking down at herself. “Well, let's see. I teach dance and do yoga on the beach as often as I can. I'm really proud of you, ya know.”

Justin gave her a genuine smile, sort of shaking his head. “Thanks. It's been a wild ride.”

They chit chatted a few more minutes before she hugged him and let him continue his shopping. Justin thought how odd it was that out of nowhere Mandy had just shown up. He'd found her again before they both had left the store, getting her phone number with a promise to call her.

It hadn't even taken a couple days before he'd asked Mandy out on a date. Justin had surprised even himself. She wasn't his usual 'type'. He showed up at her door with a bouquet of tiger lilies and a bottle of wine. The memory made him smile.

“Justin, these are gorgeous,” Mandy said, inviting him in as she took the vase of flowers. Her hair was pinned up and she was wearing a dress and heels, ready for their date. “And how did you know I loved this wine?” she asked, looking at the new bottle of Pinot Grigio.

He shrugged, following her into the kitchen. “I noticed you had a bottle of it in your shopping cart and figured it was a safe choice.” Justin was dressed in some nice slacks and a button down shirt and a nice leather jacket. “You ready?” he asked Mandy, watching her put the wine in her wine fridge. “That's kinda snooty,” Justin chuckled.

“Like you don't have one, Mister Superstar,” she quipped back, making him laugh even more.

“Okay, fine. I do. Let's go to dinner so we can come back and enjoy some wine,” Justin suggested, offering Mandy his arm when they got out the door to go to the car. “Wait a minute,” he said, pausing. “There's something I need to tell you.”

“What's that?” she asked, raising an eyebrow at him. Mandy had always liked Justin, but had never had the chance to tell him. She was more than surprised when his lips brushed hers in a small but fiery kiss. “Justin...” she half whispered, studying his face.

“Sorry. I don't want to rush things, but at the same time...You've been on my mind for longer than a couple days. I just didn't know how to get a hold of you or anything,” his voice trailed off and he gave her the patented Justin Timberlake grin.

“You're something else. Take me on this date so we can see what else happens,” Mandy told him with a grin of her own. “I may or may not have liked you back in the day as well. Although JC was pretty hot as well.”

“Oh yeah,” Justin rolled his eyes as he looked at her, opening the passenger side door. “Comparing me to Chasez gets you no brownie points.” He snickered when she gave him a dirty look.

“Sorry, I just don't see you as this huge superstar. I mean, I know you are, but when I think of you, I just think of Justin.” Mandy was being honest with him. They'd been pretty close during those days, even though they hadn't caught up with one another until a couple days ago.

“That's just who I want to be with you. Just Justin.”


Justin's eyes flickered and brought him out of his thoughts. He had things lined out for the coming year. A movie and music were on the list, along with spending time with Mandy and getting a wedding together. However there still felt like there was something missing. He picked up his phone and unlocked it. He hit send at the first missed call and listened to it ring.

'You've reached Joey. I can't come to the phone right now, leave a message and I might call you back' it said and beeped. He hung up and didn't leave a message, suddenly unsure of what he wanted to say. That was Justin's problem. He never knew how to approach the rest of the guys. They always had his back and had shown they would come if he needed them.

He sent out a group text in reply to the one Chris sent, not caring if he misspelled a few words. Justin informed them he was drinking as well, sending a picture of him holding up the half empty bottle.

'I can't drink you away' Joey replied to the text with a picture of him holding a bottle of Corona.

'I've tried Jack' Chris texted, with a bottle of Jack Daniels, in his hand a shot of it.

'I've tried Jim' JC said with a picture as well.

'I've tried all of their friends' Lance finally got in, a picture of bottles lining the wall of a bar he was at apparently.

A thought came to Justin as he went to reply. He needed the guys again. Just to be themselves and act stupid. Playing a pick up game of basketball or video games. It wasn't like they were planning to be busy for a week for a performance or anything. Justin just wanted a day.

,i>'Happy New Year...We need to get together and hang out' he texted. 'Like it was 2000 again' he added with a smiley face.

'The plastic clothes!'

'Your 'fro'

'I think Chris was even hot back then...'

'Very funny, Joey'


He smiled at the replies, feeling better than he had all night. Getting up gingerly, it took Justin a little while longer to not weave back and forth so bad as he went toward the door to join the party. It had taken some reflection to figure out just what he needed. What Justin needed was his friends; his four brothers. And the amazing woman that was with him to keep him in line and inspire him.

“There you are,” Mandy said, noting the glazed eyes and grin on Justin's face. “You okay, baby?” she asked, giving him a smile as he kissed her cheek. The ball was about to drop and everyone was counting down to the new year.

“I'm great. I just had to go think about some things. And I think 2016 will be the best year yet.”

“I think it will too,” Mandy told him, listening to people get louder around them. “Happy New Year, Justin.”

“Happy New Year, baby. Now lay one on me,” he told her, not waiting and giving his fiance a soul searing kiss.

Completed
DiamondDoss is the author of 17 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story