“Welcome,” Jax exclaims with a grin as she spreads her arms wide. “To my humble abode.”

 

Michael laughs as he slides his sunglasses up onto his head. “Humble, my ass,” he says as he steps inside, his shoes tapping on the wide planked bamboo floors. He looks around and whistles under his breath. “This place is gorgeous.”

 

She grins and looks around herself, feeling pretty proud. “It really is, isn’t it? I love it. Thank God for interior designers right?” She chuckles and motions him inside. “Come in, come in. Let me show you where your work will go. Is Lance with you?”

 

He nods as he follows behind her while they walk from the entranceway into a large open concept kitchen and living room. From the striking white of the furniture, the earthiness of the bamboo flooring to the pops of colour ranging from aquamarine to lemon yellow found in throw pillows and accessories, the space is impressive. What’s most impressive though is the floor to ceiling windows that cover the entire far wall facing the crystal clear Pacific ocean that glimmers in the bright California sunshine.

 

“Yeah, he’s here. He’s just directing the moving truck to the door. I wanted to come in to make sure everything would be able to fit where you want it.”

 

She grins and indicates the wall above a large white marble fireplace. “That’s where the first one will go. I had someone measure and install the hooks and fasteners for it already.”

 

He nods. “That will looks great, it’ll work really well with the room. The other one is for your bedroom right?”

 

She nods and motions for him to follow her once more. “Yeah, this way. It’s going to go at the head of my bead, the wall is all set up there as well.”

 

“Sounds great. I’ll actually go tell them we’re ready to go. I um…” He hesitates and stops walking behind her as they pass by the entrance once more on their way to the other side of the house.

 

He glances at the front door somewhat guiltily and adds,“So, um...Lance sort of mentioned to JC that we were coming here today.”

 

She raises a brow for him to continue. “So um, he sort of offered his help to bring your pieces.”

 

She scratches the back of her neck uncomfortably and laughs softly. “I uh, I didn’t realise they hung out so much anymore.”

 

It’s Michael’s turn to laugh uncomfortably. “They really don’t…”

 

“Oh,” she says with a pause then adds with a slanted smile, “Well, I guess I wouldn’t kick him out of bed for eating crackers, so I certainly won’t kick him out of my house if he’s willing to do some manual labor.”

 

They both crack up at her comment only to get interrupted by JC’s now familiar voice saying “This is kinda heavy ladies, can we get a heads up as to where it’s going? Mmmk, thanks.”

 

Both Jax and Michael turn to see Lance and JC each carrying one side of a large canvas covered in paper.

 

Jax grins and motions them toward her living area as she teases them. “Who would have thought, once mega millionaire boy banders, now manual laborers sweating the day away. Oh how far have they fallen…”

 

*

 

JC sits back against a rather comfortable white leather easy chair in Jax’s living room. After delivering her canvases earlier in the evening she’d convinced them to stay for dinner, so now with a belly full of delivered sushi and a few glasses of sake he feels warm and cozy as he observes her.

 

She’s sitting in a matching easy chair diagonally across from him while Lance and Michael occupy the couch. Lance is telling another of his extravagant stories complete with exaggerated hand movement and she’s laughing but he can tell that something isn’t right.

 

Her large, expressive hazel eyes seem to have clouded over with thoughts ever since she’d excused herself earlier to take a call. After she’d returned to the living room and rejoined them, she’d been quiet; only listening to everyone else talk, smiling and laughing at the right times but to him she seems somewhat detached.

 

Of course he doesn’t really know her. Really, he isn’t even a good friend of hers so he doesn’t know if she’d be comfortable with him asking her if she’s okay. So he keeps watching her out of the corner of his eye.

 

He’ll admit that he thinks she’s beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous actually, but what had piqued his curiosity at first was when he’d heard her first single on the radio over a year ago.

 

It’s rare nowadays that something on the radio will catch his attention enough for him to pause and turn the volume up. He remembers that the first time he’d heard one of her songs he’d been stuck in traffic and that within the first few bars, he’d quickly reached over and turned the dial of his radio up as high as it went.

 

He’d sat there and listened to the entire song with so much interest that he’d only been brought back to reality when the car behind him honked for him to move forward. When he’d finally gotten home and logged onto his computer, he’d typed her name into the browser and clicked the first link that the search engine had brought up. Instantly he’d been rewarded with a current picture and a brief synopsis of her life and career.


Thank you, Wikipedia.

 

He’d learned that she is a California native and that she’d been a singer-songwriter since her late teens. Four years ago she’d caught the attention of a producer when she’d unknowingly performed one of his songs acoustically during a showcase and their partnership had bloomed: they’d paired up and within two years she’d been signed to a label and released her first album a year later.

 

He’d bought that album and had followed her career ever since, seeing each one of her singles rise up on the charts as her star seemed to shine brighter and brighter.

 

She’s a regular on talk shows, always up for a good time and a good laugh. She comes off as very friendly and approachable, which seems to work in her favor since everyone in the industry seems to only have nice things to say about her.

 

A few weeks ago he’d gotten a random text from Lance asking if he’d watched Fallon the night before. He’d wondered why he was asking, not having heard that any of the guys (including Justin) were scheduled to be on. He’d checked his PVR recordings since he kept a timer on the show and watched the ones he was interested in when he had time to. When he’d pulled up the previous night’s show and seen that she was a guest, he’d smiled and pressed play. He hadn’t remembered telling Lance that he was a fan but nonetheless, he was interested in watching.

 

 

“So, if you could date anyone in Hollywood who would it be?” Jimmy asks Jax as she sits in the chair next to his desk. She looks incredible: her long hair falls in beachy waves on her right shoulder, her knee length tailored navy blue dress clings tastefully to her curves while her sky high copper colored heels accent the similarly colored metallic necklace she’s wearing around her slender neck.

It’s apparent that she’s surprised by the question and her back visibly straightened. “Uh.You know, Jimmy,” she laughs nervously. “I’m not sure I want to answer that…”

At her reaction Jimmy’s face lights up like a kid in a candy store: he’s excited that he’s struck a nerve and starts teasing her, telling her that he certainly won’t tell anyone.

She shakes her head and waves her hand, still embarrassed by the idea as she explains to Jimmy that she’s terrified that she’ll run into him somewhere and look like a fool while she fan-girls.

 

JC remembers the interview well and had felt badly for her because Jimmy had kept pressing her until she’d finally admitted that her crush was a musician, and that now he primarily worked behind the scenes.

He’d thought it was a cute interview and had texted Lance back saying so, but had asked why Lance had wanted him to watch it. The text he’d gotten back hadn’t really explained anything other than asking him if he could stop by the next day when Dirty Pop was done.

Since JC had had no specific plans the next day and had figured he hadn’t seen Lance in a while, he’d consented and gone over to Lance’s house in late afternoon. Not pleased with the answer, or rather lack of one, he’d received the day before, JC had pressed Lance further until he’d come right out and said it: Lance was certain that the musician Jax had been talking about on Fallon was him.

As in him; JC.

He’d laughed it off and shaken his head not taking him seriously. After all, there was an almost ten year age gap between them and he doubted that she meant him of all people. He was a C-list celebrity, at best, and she was on the top end of A. There really was no way.

Lance had shrugged with that self satisfied little smirk of his and had asked JC to follow him downstairs which he had. Just as they’d come down the stairs and turned the corner toward Lance’s studio space a figure had stepped out of the room and suddenly he’d been face to face with Jax.

He’d groaned inwardly at Lance and his machinations (he should have known!) and had taken in her shocked face at seeing him.

Nervously, he thought he’d try to make the situation comical by saying the only thing that he could think of at the moment. “So, it’s totally me right?’

It hadn't worked and he’d felt stupid the moment he'd said it.

He could tell that he’d taken her off guard even more and had tried to laugh his way out of it when her phone beeped notifications three times in quick succession.

She’d still seemed tongue tied for another moment but then she’d reached out to shake his hand. “I, um. You’re JC Chasez.”

Unable to do anything but laugh again, he then nodded, beyond flattered that she of all people seemed to be starstruck by him. “Yeah, and you’re Jax.”

She’d nodded and blushed as her phone beeped several times again and she’d sighed. “I-uh, I have to go. It’s nice to meet you though.”

“Yeah, same.” He’d nodded as he’d watched her almost run up the basement stairs on her way out.

 

“You okay?”  JC hears Michael ask Jax in a concerned voice when Lance finishes his story. JC turns to look at her as well, brought back to the present by the question.

 

She shrugs and shifts in her chair slightly absently biting on one of her colorful nails. “I dunno,” she answers before she sighs and runs a hand through her long hair, flipping it onto her other shoulder.

 

“You don’t have to tell us-” Michael starts and she shakes her head.

 

“No, it’s okay. I just...I got a call from my manager.” She shifts again as if her thoughts are physically making her uncomfortable. “The execs listened to the new songs.”

 

From the look on her face it isn’t good news so they wait for her to continue.

 

“They want to me try to work with another producer.”

 

Lance sits up and sets his wine glass onto the coffee table in front of him. “Other than Beats you mean?”

 

She nods and takes a sip of her wine, her eyes fixed on a spot on the floor. “Yeah. They think it would help make the album feel more...diverse. They say that what we have is fine, but they feel like I’m settling into a bit of a rut, so they want me to try something else.”

 

JC sits forward and rests his forearms on his knees. He’d be lying if he said he doesn’t feel a bit of excitement at the idea. “And how do you feel about that?” He asks tentatively.

 

She shrugs again and purses her lip. “I um, I’m not sure honestly. I’ve always worked with Beats. We just get each other, you know? We know how to work together and it’s worked well for both of us so far.” She shifts once more and now pulls her legs to her chest to hug them closely as she rests her chin on her knees. “I’d be lying if I said I haven’t thought about it before. I love Beats…”

 

She trails off and Lance asks, “What does Beats say?”

 

She winces and bites her lip before she answers. “They haven’t told him. They wanted to talk to me first.”

 

JC nods and leans back against the chair. He picks at thread on his jeans and asks, “Do they already have producers lined up for you or?

 

She slides her knees down and sets her feet on the floor as she clutches her empty wine glass and stands. “They have suggestions yes, but they said I could also pick. Anyway.” She shakes her head signalling the end of the conversation and motions to the kitchen. “You guys don’t need to worry about that stuff, more wine?”

 

Lance shakes his head and Michael says, “We actually should be going.”

 

Lance nods. “I’m sorry, Jax, but we promised some friends we’d stop by tonight at one of their parties. But we'll stay if you need us to.”

 

Michael nods quickly agreeing with Lance’s words. JC can tell that she seems to have momentarily deflated at the thought of them leaving but then she smiles and shakes her head. “It’s fine.”

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Michael asks in a concerned voice.

 

Jax nods quickly. “Yeah, I’m fine guys. Go ahead, have fun.”

 

“I’ll stay a while if you want.”

 

The words come out of his mouth before he really thinks them through and now as everyone turns to look at him he wonders if he should’ve kept his mouth shut.

 

“That’s a great idea!” Lance exclaims as he stands from the couch and hands his keys to Michael who’d been the one to abstain from drinking. “He’s a really good listener, Jax.”

 

JC looks down into his wine glass and takes a sip, avoiding her gaze but looks up when he hears her say, “I’d welcome the company.”

 

He smiles at her and stands to say goodbye to Lance and Michael. Jax hands over her glass to JC and asks him if he wouldn’t mind refilling both of their glasses while she escorts them to the door.

 

A few minutes later as he’s loading the last of the dirty plates that had been left on the kitchen island from dinner into the dishwasher, she comes back into the room with a soft laugh.

 

“House trained and everything huh?”

 

He looks up and laughs, closing the dishwasher door. “You had us over for dinner, least I can do is help clean up.”

 

“You’re sweet,” she says as she hops onto a stool and pulls her now refilled wine glass closer.

 

She seems lost in her thoughts again until he ventures quietly, “You know, I was in the same situation when I was working on my second album.”

 

She looks up from her glass and raises it to her lips for a sip.  “Yeah. I sort of know that.”

 

He chuckles as he leans back against the kitchen counter, crossing his arms loosely against his chest. “I guess it’s not a very well kept secret huh?”

 

She shakes her head and smiles sadly. “It’s a shame that it never got released.”

 

He shrugs and waves a hand dismissively. “I’ve moved on. I had to. I’m happy doing what I do now.”

 

She nods and rubs her hands over her arms, suddenly feeling cold. “I just don’t know how I’ll tell Beats honestly. He can be, um...” She seems to think about the words she wants to use and then tips her head to the side. “Difficult to deal with sometimes.”

 

JC raises his eyebrows in surprise. “Really? He seems like a really chill guy. Or at least that’s the vibe I got from him when I met him once.”

 

Jax nods quickly and raises her hands. “Oh no, don’t take me wrong. He is a chill guy and I love working with him. He’s like my big brother and I owe a lot to him. It’s just...sometimes he can get a little dramatic and I don’t know how he’ll react to it.”

 

JC nods. “Yeah, I can see why that would bother you. And I can see why it would bother him. Where is he now anyway?”

 

“Away,” she says, resting her elbows on the island. “Since we were done with the album he took current girlfriend off on some super yatch in the Caribbean. Just to decompress from everything we’ve been doing to get the album ready. I just know I’ll really have to measure how I tell him about this or he’ll be really hurt. And to be honest I don’t want to do it right now, I don’t want to wreck his vacation.”

 

They stay quiet for a few more minutes and she finally sighs. “I mean there’s no harm in trying something new right? I could meet with a producer and work on a song, see where it goes...at least just to appease the record company.”

 

She straightens again and crosses her arms, looking down at the white marble counter as she continues. “Like how do I even work with a new producer? I’ve never worked with anyone else. Plus on top of that, I have to worry about keeping it quiet so that Beats doesn’t find out right away. Just my luck someone will blab and  I’m terrified it will get back to him before I can explain.”

 

JC’s phone beeps and he pulls it out of his pocket. Damn it, he was going to have to leave after all.

 

May as well take a shot in the dark.

 

“Listen Jax, I know this is tough for you. But I know a producer that knows how to keep things quiet and that would be more than interested in working with you. Even if it’s just to listen to what you already have and to give it a second opinion.”

 

She straightens and smiles. “You do?”

 

He chuckles and nods. “Yeah. You’re looking at him.”

 

At the look on her face his chuckle turns into a laugh and he add, “Plus you already paid him in sake and sushi which is as good as his usual going rate.”

 

“You’re shitting me right?” She still looks shocked and he’d be lying if he said that it didn’t make him feel pretty good about himself .

 

He shakes his head, still smiling. “Nah. I’d love to. I’m just throwing it out there.”

 

She pushes off the counter and before he knows it, he’s wrapped in a tight hug which he doesn’t hesitate to return.

 

He hears his phone beep again and knows that it’s a text indicating to him that his Uber has arrived so he pulls away and smiles again. “Just um, shoot me a text when you're ready and we’ll set something up.”

 

She nods adamantly and they make their way back to the front door where she thanks him again. As he steps outside and makes his way toward his ride, damn it if he doesn’t feel like a million bucks.


Chapter End Notes:

I'd love it if you'd leave me a review to say if you're liking this story!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc producerjc