Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it has taken me so long to update. I no longer have a working laptop so I am writing on my phone or in a notebook. I had this chapter done so I decided to post it. Enjoy!
You're up early,” Melissa told Chris, surprised at seeing him in their bathroom as she was going to get ready for the day. “Happy Birthday” she told him, giving him a smile as he brushed his teeth. She frowned when he just nodded and didn't even get a muffled 'Thanks' in return.

“Do you want to go out for breakfast before your appointment?” she asked after he'd spit the toothpaste out and rinsed his mouth off. Melissa had cancelled her appointment for that day, wanting to spend time with Chris.

“I already have breakfast plans...Sorry, babe,” he said, watching her in the mirror. Chris wondered if she'd ask. Or if she would shrug and go on, leaving him to his own thoughts.

“So what are those plans?” Melissa asked after a moment, not sure who he'd be meeting up with.

“Kiley said she'd take me out after therapy for breakfast if I wanted. I know you weren't going to be there so I told her yes. It's not a big deal,” he said with a shrug. He turned to watch his wife glare at him, chewing on her bottom lip.

“Do you know where I go while you're at physical therapy, Chris? Do you even have a clue? Because you've never asked. I keep waiting on you to ask, but you don't. I'm going to see my own therapist. I go lay on a couch for an hour and try to work out all of my feelings while I know you're flirting with another woman,” she told him, her voice breaking with emotion. “You get so mad at me for not getting housework done. Or for not cooking every night....Do you not realize what I do?” When he ddn't answer, she continued her voice getting louder. “I make sure our children are dressed and fed before I take them to school and preschool five days a week. I come home and help you get ready for your appointment. I go to my therapy appointment. I come home and pay bills, I make sure we have groceries, I do yard work. I answer mail and calls because fans want to know how Chris Kirkpatrick is doing since he decided to become anti social to everyone. I do the work of 2 people, Chris. You used to help with the kids and laundry and housework...”

“I've helped with housework,” Chris said, glaring at her.

“One or two days isn't going to magically fix everything. You know what? Don't worry about it. Happy fucking birthday,” Melissa said, leaving him standing in the bathroom.

Chris snorted and rolled his eyes, going out of their bathroom. He paused when he saw a Steelers jersey laying on the bed and a couple of boxes wrapped in comic book character wrapping paper. He picked up the envelope and studied his wife's handwriting. Swallowing, Chris put it down and got dressed, going out to his chair. There he found another envelope with Hadley's handwriting and a wrapped present as well.

“Daddy are you gonna open your presents?” Kenna asked as she came out of her room, holding her shoes. “Momma let us pick them out,” she said with a proud smile.

“Yeah, Kenniebear. I'm waiting until Hads and Cam are in here too,” he said.

“Are you letting Momma take you to Pittsburgh?”

Chris was confused until he thought about the presents on the bed. “Oh..I..I don't know Kenna,” he said softly, noticing when Melissa came into the living room that she didn't even look at him, going to their bedroom and shutting the door.

Melissa sat against the door and cried, listening to the kids telling Chris happy birthday and the excited noises of them watching him open presents. She wasn't sure what to think or do, getting dressed and ready to take them to school. She saw that her husband hadn't even opened her presents to him, which was just as well, she thought.

“Joey's dad will be here in half an hour to take you to your appointment,” Melissa told Chris as she herded kids out the door. It broke her heart to think about what he'd be doing afterward, trying hard not to care she'd been pushed aside.

“Why aren't you taking Daddy?” Hadley asked when they got into the car. She didn't miss much when it came to her parents.

“Because Daddy has other plans for today, Hads. So I have other plans,” Melissa answered simply. “I'll be there to pick you up from school, okay.” She gave the kids a small smile knowing she had to keep it together for them.

“Love you, Momma,” Cam said, giving her a smile that was just like Chris'.

“Love you too, Cam,” Melissa said, wiping a tear quickly.

**^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Chris had ten minutes until Joe, Sr got there. He sat on the bed and opened the envelope that had his name on it. A birthday card was tucked in there, along with tickets to a Pittsburgh Steelers game in November.

'Surprise! I guess this year I'll cheer for 'your' team. I love you, Kirkpatrick. Love, Melly'

Chris put the card down and opened one of the presents. He stared at the object in his hands and felt a knot grow in his stomach. It was Melissa's diary she'd gotten back before they were married. She'd written it in when Derek had taken her and then kept writing in it afterward. She'd jokingly told Chris she'd give it to him when she'd filled it.

Now he wasn't sure if he wanted to read it or not, skimming through a few pages. He set it down and grabbed the other package. It was about the same size as the journal but Chris had no idea what it might be. It was a box of custom guitar picks from his favorite place to get intruments with a note from the owner of the small store in Nashville, Tennessee.

'Chris, Happy Birthday man. Your wife has gifted you with these guitar picks and we've thrown in the guitar when you get ready to play again. Just give us a call and let us know when you're in town to come by and pick out the guitar you want. Cheers, Greg'
Chris flexed his right hand and watched his fingers bend. It had hurt at first and he still had no feeling in his middle finger but they worked enough to grip things now for small periods of time. He swallowed hard when he realized what Melissa had done. She was making him do what he loved, whether he liked it or not. A knock at the front door paused any other thoughts he had, getting up and making his way to answer the door.

“Hey, Joe. Thanks for taking me today,” Chris said, making sure he had his wallet and phone along with a house key.

“Not a problem. Melissa called and said something had come up...” Joe didn't say anything else as they got into the car. “Any big plans today?”

“Nope. Just coming back to the house...”

“Oh. Melissa said something about you having a breakfast date. With her?”

Chris shook his head no, looking over at Joe at a red light. “With..a friend.”

“A friend?” Joe looked at Chris, raising an eyebrow but didn't say anything when the other man nodded.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Are you not eating?” Kiley asked Chris, watching him push food around on his plate. “I mean, I thought you were excited about this,” she said, frowning a little.

“Sorry...” Chris sighed and took a bite of his omelette. “I'm having a good time. Thanks for taking me out.”

“You're welcome. I'm glad we got some time alone that's not at my work,” she said with a big smile. She'd known Chris for over a couple months and they'd connected quickly in that time. “No one complained you were going out today?” she questioned, watching Chris shake his head.

He looked down at his phone that dinged and lit up with text messages before he could reply.

'Happy birthday asshat' from Joey

'Old man...HBD fucker' Justin

'Someone said it was your birthday. I had to look on caveman drawings to check' JC

'Have a great day today. We miss you. Actually I miss Mel more than you, but it's only cause she's prettier. Happy Birthday!'
from Lance and it made Chris pause. He scrolled back up and saw Facebook notifications as well as Twitter.

Chris swallowed hard when he saw one he'd missed earlier.

'melly82: Happy Birthday to the worst patient I've ever had to take care of. I love you @IamCKirkpatrick.' Attached was a picture from a month ago that Hadley took of them. Chris was pretending to snarl at Melissa as she kissed his cheek.

Below that was a reply from one of his sisters.

@melly82 @IamCKirkpatrick @itstaylor: Ewwwww, kids look at this stuff. ;) Get a room. And Happy Birthday I guess, big bro. Still like Mel more than you. hehehe

He looked up at Kiley who was staring at him. “Sorry,” he said, putting his phone down.

“So did you want to do something after this? We could go to a movie or back to my place...”

Chris paused at the question. He glanced down at his wedding ring. It hadn't moved in over ten years. He'd worn it other than his time in the hospital. Flirting and going to breakfast was one thing. Going back to Kiley's place was something else entirely. She was pretty. She had no other responsibilities except for work and taking care of her own obligations.

“I...I can't...” Chris said softly, looking at her. “I mean, you're a nice girl,Kiley-”

“I get it Chris,” she replied with a small smile. “You're married. Most guys wouldn't care..I didn't think you'd even be interested in me. She's lucky as hell to have you.”

“Not that lucky. I'm out with you and not her,” Chris said, throwing a couple of twenties down on the table to pay for their meal and leave a tip.

“I'm sure she still considers herself lucky,” Kiley told Chris. They got out to the parking lot and she leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips. “Happy Birthday.”

“Thanks,” Chris said, not sure how to feel as they went to her car. He glanced around the parking lot and froze for a second. Melissa was sitting there in the pick up parking spot, staring at him. She'd seen the kiss. He didn't do anything except get in Kiley's car. “Take me home, Kiley,” he said softly.

Chris had no idea what was going to happen, but he figured whatever it was that it wouldn't be good. While his wife was trying her best to do everything to save their marriage, he'd managed to tear it apart in a matter of a few seconds. The song playing on the radio seemed to ironically mimic real life.

'Let it rain, let it pour, she don't love me anymore, let it come down on me, let it come down on me...Let it rain.”

Incomplete
DiamondDoss is the author of 17 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked All The Way Around also liked 24 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris