Story Notes:
Also available on JJB
***Isloated Kingdom ***

Walking I noticed the streets the hustle of everyone around me; it was cold so it wasn't surprising that everyone was hurrying. More to get from the cold than anything else. It was always at this time of year, when things got colder, darker earlier than usual that it seemed the loneliest time of the year. Winter had a way of making everything seem glum. Depressing and lonely.

I on the other hand should have been on top of the world. I had everything id ever wanted. Career going strong, friends and relatives that loved and supported me. Everything that anyone should need right.

Yes, that's what I thought too. But as great as it sounded it was still wrong. There I was living in a city of strangers, in an apartment that I overpaying for with a room mate that was your basic unpaid prostitute. I knew I could afford a place alone. But the thought of no company at all wasn't the most alluring of ideas.

London, it was a city of so much. History, culture, hell even royalty all that and millions of people who pass each other on the streets and not even acknowledge their presence needless to say I wasn't loving it. But I had made a choice and when I did that I stuck to them. Three years ago I made the choice to leave my small town to the big city, London was, for a girl from a small town the biggest and best place in the country. A place of possibility.

Journalism was my love, my passion and it was something I knew I had a talented for.

Unfortunately for me, here the only journalism that pays is the scandalous tabloid version, if you could even call that journalism.

I had become over the last few years the most feared of them all. And not because I was insensitive or fraudulent like all the others but because I had a talent of always being accurate, I had the power and the one thing I knew celebrities hated- and that was losing power.

It wasn't something I enjoyed. Well I know that it's hard to believe since we are a society that feeds on gossip and I liked a good scandal like everyone else. But I still held the belief that they were people too, and in turned deserved the basic right to privacy.

Unfortunately my boss didn't.

******

This city was one that rivalled New York in the "it never sleeps" category. I had been there several months and I still had to confess - it was hard to get used to. Sure it had everything and more but it lacked the things I needed. I needed people I trusted, that I loved around me. Making movies, it was one of the many dreams that I had, and pursued, I loved it. But like I said, like everything at that time it was difficult to get used to. Things here now were different and yet the same. The same hysteria happened when I went out. The fans still showed up were ever I was supposed to be, but living in the city full time made actually "Living" really complicated. The one thing that made it difficult. The British press. They seemed to have it in for me from the moment I arrived. Constant rumours, with me and models, pop singers, my co-stars. It was ridiculous. Since I can tell you I hadn't seen anyone in a romantic or sexual capacity in quite a while, and that was the truth.

But as they say no publicity is bad publicity so I grinned and bared it. It didn't make that much of a deal to me since I never read the damn things…but I knew others did so I was in a bitter state as to what other people saw in me now. A view unreal, distorted and twisted and all because of the way I was written - all to sell.

It sickened me.

******

Party after party, I wasn't I allowed to enjoy of the monumental fear of losing that "scope, exclusive" to a rival paper or magazine.

It was unthinkable. It was pathetic. Hence the reason I had from the past three months been submitting my CV to every credible newspaper in the country. But as my luck would have it with reputation that I had with my work now, it was more a hindrance when it came to credibility. Catch 22, Id say absolutely.

Coffee, was one of my indolence's, others treated themselves with wine, champers…I was a chocolate-hazelnut latté kinda girl. It was enough for me.

So there I was coming out of the store late on that Saturday night the city was buzzing as usual. Crowded, and yes very cold. When I bumped literally into something, or in this case some one. Very hard might I add knocking my blistering hot coffee all over my new Marc Jacobs dress?
"OH for the love of Jesus, watch where you're going!" I yelled at whoever the hell it was hiding underneath a cosy looking diesel hat.

"I…im sorry ok I didn't see you."

"How could you not have seen me? Doorway…tiny doorway, person in the doorway HELLO!"
Ok so I was over acting, but the *+@# burned in to me, and not to mention the fact that the dress was very expensive.

I knew the accent, southern. American, and scared. Then of course he looked at me, and the face was instantly recognisable.

"Oh, you're…" I realised.

"I am" he pull his baseball cap further down on his head "and I am really sorry about your coffee…and the" he eyed my dress "that too…could I make it up to you?"
"Why you've got 600 quid to pay for this thing?" I wiped and wiped but to no good.

"Um…not on me, but uh" he chuckled nervously "how bout I replace the coffee I messed…please?"

It was late, I was exhausted…

"Well I suppose it's the least you could do…" I rhymed off my flavour and he handed me a large version of the small that he had spilled.

"Sorry again, it's just…well I was avoiding someone and I rushed…" he grinned bashfully.

"Let me guess, the press?"

"Yeah…that obvious huh?"

"No, its just I saw them parked across the street….camera lenses the length of the entire car…that kinda gave it away…"

He turned to look, "No don't look…" I said

"Why???" I think he knew why, im just not sure he knew I knew why.

"They haven't got a clear shot of you here…it would be better if you moved to the far corner" I pointed to a far empty corner of the coffee shop.

"Thank you…I didn't even notice…I just saw the one car, I had no idea there was another."

"Oh, it's not a problem….well I should go." I motioned to the door "it was nice, uhh banging into you..." I couldn't help but laugh, at myself more than anything.

**********

She seemed nice, and she watched my back which was huge plus. So I asked,

"So, um im alone here and as it seems still being followed….would you maybe wanna join me for a few minutes?"

Ok I was weird and at that point I was sure I was scaring her.

"It's ok if you don't…" I added picking imaginary link of my jacket.

"Um, no I don't mind…" she said finally walking over to the seat facing the window.

It made me smile, it was unusual for someone not in the "Biz" to know the protocols of what to do when out and about…the measures that had to be taken in order to just have a cup of coffee.

"So you know who I am, who are you?"

"No…I don't know who you are actually I know your name…the rest. Well what am I to know whats true and whats not??" she answered coyly

"Ok…that's true enough, whats your name then?"

She looked away all coy again before answering me "Anita James"

"Well Anita im Justin, nice to meet you…"

******************************************************************************

"No, im sorry but no…"

"What IM sorry but you are completely wrong…."

"Sorry missy but am not, he is the best footballer there is, there is NO comparison."
"Sure he's fit and can kick im not disputing that but David Beckham, best player EVER? Nah…what about Besty?"

"Before our time…"

She sat her coffee down and smirked at him,

"Ah so what you mean is Beck's is the best player of OUR time, not of ALL time…"

"Um, yeah what are you an English teacher or something, you always this up and up on grammar?"

She rolled her eyes, "no im not but I did love English at school…what was your favourite?"

"Math…science….all the geeky stuff…"

she laughed out loud.

"What?"

"Nothing, its just I never took you for a geek…"

"Im not, I just liked….never mind"

"No, im interested, come on tell me…im sorry I won't laugh again" she visible tried to stop laughing…even bit her lips to stop a smile forming and turning into a giggle.

"When I was like 10 I wanted to be a pharmacist."

He smiled, and then blushed when she giggled.

"Really??? Like giving out meds and things like that? Well can I just say on behave the women of the world…we're glad you didn't follow that particular dream….the one you do now is a much more fitting job…it would be a shame to waste such a pretty face."

"I see….well sometimes I wonder you know….its like this life offers me SO much that I never even dreamed off…."

"But?"

"But it's just hard, recently…" he looked like he wanted to go on but he looked around and snapped out of the mode he had been in.

"Um you know im sorry I know I must be boring you…."

It was clear he realised that she was a complete stranger, she sensed the awareness.

"I get it, I mean come on you don't know me….its fine." There was an awkward moment, one that neither of them anticipated.

"So, Justin this has been really nice but I really should be going. By the time I get a taxi it'll be really late…or really early depending on what way you look at it….and I have to work tomorrow." She grabbed her coat from the seat behind her and stood up.

"Well, Anita it was real nice meeting you…"

"Yes you too Justin….take care okay?" she seemed to genuinely mean that.

As she made her way to grab her bags, and her scarf he stood up too. "Um listen, I have a car waiting for me from the hotel…if you want I could give you a ride back to your apartment if you'd like…."

He noticed as she looked hesitant, "im weird aren't I? Im sorry….you'd rather take a cab wouldn't you?"

"No, actually it would be nice…not having to wait in the freezing cold…I live about a half a mile from here…"

"Well…cool just let me make a call and we can bounce"
"Bounce?" she asked in her distinguished British accent.

"Um…I mean, that means - go, we can go…sorry, language confusion…" he laughed.

"Definitely…American English is completely different…its funny how you all make up words…."

"We do NOT…"

"Um yes you do…for instance what is up with "ya'll" or putting the word "like" in front of ever other word…it makes NO sense."

"It like so totally does y'all…" he smiled wide mocking her as she rolled her eyes at him.

"See…it's insane. You know that old saying when in Rome…well when in England - do as the English do and TRY and speak it…."

"Ill try your highness. Ill try."

And with that she led the way outside, where he made a short phone call "yeah so we're two streets away from the club you dropped me off at, yeah, yeah that's it…oh and we're gonna have to make a stop too before I get back to the hotel. That's cool right?" she watched on as he talked on the phone, everything from the way he held the tiny device in his hands, to the way he just kept up with her fast paced walking all the while holding a conversation…pretty normal things right? But at that moment something in her saw something very different in him, she didn't know what it was… but it was there.

"David, the driver…." He turned to her, "well he'll meet us…he said there a park across the road…do you know where he may have meant?" he looked around the snow covered city in confusion.

"Yes I know it, its just down here…follow me. there's no cars allowed up this way see…that's probably why he asked you to meet him here…"

As they approached the small kids park that was duly decorated with the usual - swings, slides, jungle gym…they sat on the already frozen over swings.

"So you've been in London a while now? I remember there being a big fuss in the papers when you said you'd be working over here…"

"Uh, yeah that was….expected…"

"Wow, cocky much? I see you've brought that American ego along for the ride..." he blushed as she called him on the remark.

"No, I didn't mean it like that…it's just here…I mean I love it an all I do…but the fans, and especially the media, they tend to blow everything I do or say completely out of proportion…."

"Rough break huh? I mean the tabloids here…they can be brutal when they want to be."

"Yeah…" his eyebrows rose when he spoke this time; she knew that he meant it in a "more than you know" kinda way. " I mean its ok most of the time, and I know my manager an all would say that "No publicity is bad…all it good you know, but its like when its gets to the point when I cant even dance with a girl - but we're sleeping together, or she's my new "flame" or whatever…it's a little tiring is all."

She just nodded, almost afraid to say anything else.

"Im sorry I do tend to talk a lot more than I should…it's a curse really." He spoke up after a few seconds silence.

"It's okay…"

With that the blacked out Mercedes pulled up and the white man in a weird cap - his uniform apparently spoke up.

"Mr Timberlake? Are you ready?"

He nodded to her and they both go into the luxurious car.

"Where do you live Anita?"

"Oh im sorry" she realised she'd been staring. "Notting hill, it's just…" the man in the driver seat cut her off

"I know where it is darlin' we'll have you home in no time." She smiled then, even in a Mercedes he behaved like your basic cabby. Everyone was darlin' or sweetheart…I guess it was to try and make women feel comfortable with the fact that they were getting into a car with a strange man.

It seemed to work most of the time. As she rhymed off her street and house number he nodded and she sat back into her seat.

"Anita, I just realised I never asked you earlier…in our two hour talk…what do you do?"

Oh now that was awkward, did she tell him and risk him hating her for now coming up front in the first place? Or did she lie and hopefully earn a chance to stay in touch with this person that she was now completely fascinated by?

Umm well what do you think?

"Ooh, Im…well im…In over seeing a department, sales, mostly…but I deal a lot with people so I like that aspect of it." Vague, very…

"What kind of sales?"

"Mostly literature…"

"Oh, books…that's sounds kinda cool….is it fiction or facts?"

"Oooh you know it can depend on the person, the story they want…whats popular whats not, you know that kind of thing."

"Sounds nice."

"Its not, sometimes it can get rough you know…competitors, deals falling through, its demanding keeps me busy."

"But you like it?" he seemed really genuinely interested in her story; she'd never had someone look at her that before. It made her warm all over.

"It's almost like what you said, its great but tiring…I have my mixed days" he nodded then.

The she heard the smallest smirk, "what?"

"Nothin'"

"No, it's not nothing Justin, what are you laughing at?"

"It's just…I love your accent, it's so…posh it's funny."

"Excuse me; I do NOT have a posh accent."

"I hate to break it to you sweetheart but yes you REA-LLY" he mocked her accent - badly "really do."

"I don't, just because I don't have a cockney London accent doesn't mean im POSH." He rolled his eyes playfully "uh yeah whatever you say your ladyship. Whatever you say…."

With that the car came to a stop, "well this is me." she pointed to what seemed to be a red bricked two storey with a black door.

"Right." He got out of the car with her.

"Um, not to be rude or anything but what are you doing?"

"Im not being rude…" he walked ahead of her a little.

"Uh look I don't know what gave you the impression that, well…that I was willing to…they we would…." She stepped up beside him "I not like those other girls you know Im not going to sleep with you if that's what your thinking…" she seemed flustered as she spoke, almost embarrassed.

"Anita, that's NOT what I was doin, I was simply walking you to your door, id made it this far with you I wanted to see that you got in safe, that's all…so you can chill…I didn't think anything…. I know you're not like those other women, who ever they are…" she crossed her arms at his statement.

"Oh well…OH…" her cheeks flushed. "Im sorry I jumped to….im sorry."

"It's alright…"

"No, no its not I let my mouth just take over sometimes and I didn't mean too…wait, what makes you think I wouldn't be like the others…"

"What?"

"I mean what is it? Is it my personality or is it that I don't look slutty enough…."

"What are you talking about?"

"What makes you think I wouldn't sleep with you???"

"you mean other than the fact that you just flat out TOLD me you wouldn't, humm lets see, woman are you crazy?"

"No, I just…well I mean it's a little premature of you to just say oh she won't sleep with me, off I go."

Ok at this point he was CONVINCED she WAS insane.

"Uuhk…"

"Oh god, there I go again…Jesus, im so sorry. Look im going to go in now before I make an even bigger fool of myself. Again, it was really nice meeting you…"

"Nice meeting you too…even if it was a little confusing…" he smiled that trademark smile. "Maybe we could do this again sometime? In a less freezing surrounding?"

"Oh, um well"

"That's only if your boyfriend doesn't mind…." He added, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"Boyfriend? Oh No, I don't have a boyfriend…"

"Husband then?" he asked again, she just shook her head "No" as if it was non sense.

"Girlfriend?" he blurted out disappointedly

"No, I don't have any of those and for the record im not a lesbian…"

"Good to know….good night Anita."

"Good morning Justin, its 4am."

"*+@#, so it is…." She smiled as she turned her key and walked inside, his smiled matched her as he made his way back to his car.

He'd had a good night, one of the best since he'd arrived in jolly old England. Well this England just got a whole lot more jolly.

Now all he had to do was figure out a way to see her again, he definitely wasn't going to let her slip through the cracks of his crazy job; no not her…she was too amazing for that.

She was definitely a potential….definitely.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story