Author's Chapter Notes:
I feel like I haven't updated this in forever! More details in the end notes.

“Damn it!” Joey groaned as he picked up his pen to scratch off another failed attempt at finding the right chords for Chris’ song.

 

He had been sitting in the living room for hours and he still hasn’t made any progress with the music. He would aimlessly strum his guitar, hoping that some magic would radiate through his finger tips to produce the perfect music.

 

“Music ain’t an easy career choice.” Joey’s dad said under his breath.

 

“But it’s what I love to do.”

 

Mr. Fatone Sr. adjusted his seat as he leaned forward to look at his son a little more closely. He couldn’t help but feel guilty about Joey’s decision to not go to college. At his age, he chose to do music as well. Things didn’t fare too well for him and he nearly became homeless. There was no way in hell that he was going to let his son follow his footsteps. “Joey, I’ve done that before and I have to tell you, it was-“

 

“It wasn’t great for you. Yeah, I know.” Joey interrupted. “But you have to at least give me this chance. You got one so why can’t I?”

 

Mr. Fatone Sr. stared at Joey intently. There was a burning flame in Joey’s eyes and he knew better to try and put it out. He was almost sure that it was the same flame that his father saw in him when chose to pursue music. “You really want to do this?”

 

“Yes, more than anything.”

 

“Alright.”

 

“Really?” Joey stood up unable to fathom that his father agreed to let him do music.

 

“Yes. But you have to move out. I know this goes against me not wanting you to follow in my footsteps and it seems like I’m basically setting you up for homelessness, I want to see how well you’ll do without my help. If you think music is the life you want, then you have to go about it like I did. It’s the only way I can show you that you’re wrong.”

 

Joey gritted his teeth at the memory. It was because of his father that he became homeless for a few months before meeting Chris at the beach. His dad was a hypocrite for throwing him out after explicitly explaining to him the hardships of living on the streets and how he didn’t want his own son to experience the same thing. After Chris had tripped over him, he felt so horrible for stumbling over a homeless guy that he offered to let him live with him.

 

“You’d actually let a complete stranger live with you? How do you know if I’ll be able to pay you rent?” Joey stared at the shorter guy, bewildered.

 

“Uh… well all I know is that you’re homeless, therefore you need a home. Do you really want me to ask if you have a job?”

 

Joey brushed the remaining sand off him. “… No.”

 

“That’s alright, you can apply at Brickman’s with me. It’s that crap building over at the end of the pier. They’re remodeling it, apparently and the old coot who bought it is naming it after himself.” Chris pointed at the shoddy shack in the distance.

 

Joey blinked. He couldn’t believe this guy. “Are you for real? How do you know I’m not a murderer?”

 

Chris pinched himself, causing him to squint a little. “Yeah, that hurt so I’m pretty sure I’m a real person. You don’t look crazy enough to be a murderer so I’m not worried about that. Also, I can seriously kick your ass.”

 

Joey laughed as Chris playfully punched him. “Alright, if you say so. I’m Joey, by the way.”

 

“Hi Joey By The Way. That’s a weird surname if you ask me. But I’m Chris.” Chris held out his hand as Joey reached out to shake it.

 

“Uh, Joey Fatone. That’s my full name.”

 

“Cool.” Chris looked at Joey’s thin stature and suddenly felt even more horrible for not asking him the most obvious thing he should’ve asked when he first met him, “Wanna grab a bite to eat? I know a place that sells THE best hotdogs.”

 

Joey owed a lot to Chris. He probably would’ve been dead if it wasn’t for him so writing music for his songs was the least Joey could do. As Joey began to strum his guitar once more, the door flew open as Chris ran inside the apartment and jumped on the couch.

 

“Duuuuuuude, she’s awesome!” He yelled.

 

“I take it that the date went great?”

 

Suddenly Chris stopped jumping and stood as he scowled at Joey. “It wasn’t a date. Her stupid boyfriend was there.”

 

“Ah, pity.”

 

“But she’s still pretty cool. Her boyfriend’s kind of a douche though. He’s really full of himself and he doesn’t let her do anything. No wonder she asked me for help, he’s a total dud.” Chris plopped his butt on the seat as he picked up Joey’s notebook.

 

Joey started to explain his failed attempts but before he could open his mouth, Chris ran into his room and came back with his own guitar. “No worries, bro. Let’s jam.”

 

The two played chord after chord but none of them seemed right. Eventually, they gave up and ended up playing some of their favorite songs. Chris opted to play Edwin McCain’s I’ll Be while Joey sang along to it. They were great together and on normal days, the music would just flow out of them.

 

“Didn’t you have any music in mind while you were writing this?” Joey picked up Chris’ lyrics and scanned them.

 

I lose my step

I lose my ground

I lose myself

When you’re around

I’m holding on for my life

To keep from drowning in your eyes

Girl what have you done to me

To make me fall so desperately

To think that I don’t even know your name

No, no

How am I supposed to live?

If I can’t get over this

 

“It’s definitely a love song.” Chris only stated the obvious. “Guess who I wrote it for?”

 

“Don’t tell me you wrote it for Hailey.” Joey rolled his eyes.

 

“You betcha! She’s so cute and pretty and smart and awesome and I could go on and on.” Chris couldn’t stop swooning.

 

 “So is this thing serious? You’re in love with her now?” Joey laughed.

 

In love? No way, José! Didn’t you read my lyrics, man? I didn’t even know her name at the time.”

 

“Good, because she sucks.” Joey didn’t mean to let that slip.

 

“Dude, she was only being weird like that because we stalked her.”

 

“That wasn’t my idea, was it?”

 

Chris shrugged and patted Joey’s shoulder. “Don’t be like this tomorrow.”

 

“What’s tomorrow?” Joey’s brow narrowed.

 

Chris smiled sheepishly and set down his guitar before answering Joey. “I volunteered you to help her out tomorrow.”

 

“With WHAT?”

 

“I don’t know. I told her that you’d be willing to help with whatever she needed help with tomorrow and she took up the offer. She’ll pick you up tomorrow at ten.” Chris spoke so fast, hoping that it sounded better that way.

 

“TEN? But it’s my day off tomorrow! I was hoping to sleep in.” Joey crossed his arms and leaned back into the couch.

 

“Be nice. I’m pretty sure you’ll like her but remember...” Chris held up a finger, “I saw her first.”

 

"Technically, her boyfriend saw her first." Joey retorted. 

Chapter End Notes:

Song: Falling by *NSYNC

This was the song that inspired me to write this story. I know it's from the movie On the Line but Chris did write it so I feel like it's appropriate.

I probably won't be updating this as quickly as I usually do since I'm working on a story for the Awesome August 2016 challenge (so be on the lookout for it on August 6th lol). However, I have a whole outline set up for this story so I will be working on it whenever I can.

 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Reviews are much appreciated! Thank you (: 


Incomplete
charleeene is the author of 6 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendship joey fatone chris kirkpatrick friendships music origin