Author's Chapter Notes:
This is not a continuation of chapter two. This is a different version of events that happened when the knock at the door came in chapter 1. Read it like Chapter 2 didn't happen.

When the knock at the door sounded, Rachel put down her phone and stood. She wondered if Mike was back from his run. A peek through the peephole told her otherwise. It was a hotel employee. She pulled the door open. "Yes?"

 

"Ms. Bass," the lady said with a smile. "This came for you."

 

Rachel stared at the envelope for a moment, confused. Who would be sending her mail at the hotel? She hadn't even been here long. Taking the envelope, she frowned. The outside only held her name. Looking back up at the lady, she sent her a smile. "Thank you."

 

"Have a good day." The lady returned the smile and walked away.

 

Rachel closed the door as she inspected the envelope. The handwriting on the front was foreign. She didn't recognize it. That didn't mean anything. Someone at the front desk could have written her name on the envelope before they delivered it. Turning the white envelope over, she slid her finger beneath the flap.

 

Inside was an invitation.

 

To Eric Podwall's New Years Eve party.

 

Rachel stared at the invitation in confusion. Her heart beat faster as she read the information. Who had sent it? Better yet, why had it been sent to her? Who would think she wanted to go to Camp Podwall's party? Right now, it was the last place she wanted to be. She glared at her phone.

 

Lance.

 

Rachel snatched up her phone from the couch and furiously typed out a message.

 

‘Did you tell Eric where I was staying?'

 

‘What are you talking about? Who's Eric?'

 

‘You know damn well who Eric is. Did you tell him where I was staying?'

 

‘Why? He come over trying to get you to sign with his team?'

 

‘You did. You fucking jerk. Why did you tell him?'

 

Rachel was irritated. She didn't want to go to Eric's party. She didn't want to run in to JC. She wanted to go back to Nashville where she could be in the privacy of her own home. There she could pour a glass of wine and cry over what was lost. Not that she hadn't cried the night before when she got back into her hotel room. When she had climbed into the shower the tears started. Some of the tears were over the embarrassment at how pathetic she was, at how oblivious she was over the years. Some of the tears were over the sadness of coming to the realization that something she wanted wasn't going to happen. The loss of a dream.

 

‘So you'll go and talk to JC.'

 

‘I don't need to talk to JC.'

 

She definitely didn't need to talk to JC. Right now she wasn't sure if she could even look him in the eyes. How she must have come across to him. There were probably many instances where she had put them in awkward situations, embarrassed him. She was a fool. How many times was she the butt of jokes to people who saw her fawning over him?

 

‘I'm gonna send him over there.'

 

‘I'll be in Nashville. I don't care.' Rachel sent but her heart jumped at JC knocking on her door. The thought of seeing him after the new information...

 

‘I can have him knocking on your door long before you are even packed and on your way to the airport.' ‘Will you stop freaking out and listen to me?' ‘JC is single. He's not dating anyone. He and Jennifer are not back together. The dumbass wants you.'

 

Before Rachel could reply a picture came through. It was a screen shot of a text conversation. She read the line where JC had stated he was interested. Her heart pounded faster. She stared at the invitation then back at her phone screen. A decision faced her. Did she ignore JC's words and go home or did she take a final chance and go to Eric's party? Reverting back to her childhood she chanted ‘eenie meanie miney moe' back and forth over her options until she landed on one.

 

Her decision made, she tapped her phone screen a few times and lifted it to her ear. "Mike, I need to go shopping."

 

*~*

 

"I'm not so sure about this," Rachel said as she and Mike stood in the elevator that would take them up to the roof top of the Nautilus where Eric's party was being held.

 

"Too late to back out now." Mike said as he leaned back against the side of the cart, his hands gripping the railing.

 

"No it's not. When the doors open we just hit the close door button, go back to the lobby, flag down a car and go back to my hotel."

 

Mike gave her a dry look. "Did you really drag me shopping, spend hours trying every damn piece of clothing on, make me your own personal dress holder to chicken out at the last minute?"

 

"Yes?" Rachel said sheepishly. It had taken her hours to find the perfect outfit. Mike had been correct. She figured she tried on every dress within the Miami city limits. She'd pull dress after dress off the rack and make Mike hold them until he resembled a clothing rack himself. Then she'd drag him to the changing room where she'd try on each outfit. Some got tried on more than once because she just wasn't sure. She really didn't pay him enough when it came to days like today.

 

"I will toss you over my shoulder and carry you into this party and deposit you in his lap." Mike threatened.

 

He'd do it too.

 

Rachel scrunched her face and sighed. She had to do this. She didn't spend hours getting ready to spend the night in her hotel room watching Ryan Seacrest on TV. The dress she wore came to mid-thigh. She'd always been told she had great legs and the dress really showed them off. It was a pale champagne color, long sleeve, and covered in silver, sparkling sequins from breast to hem. The material on her chest and arms was a nude sheath. It held the same sliver sequins sporadically dotted down her arms and across her chest. On her feet were peep-toe high heels in a champagne color. The heels definitely emphasized her legs.

 

Her hair was left down with wavy curls. Three tier drop crystal earrings were in her ears. Make up had her wishing she had her team available, but she was able to muster through the foundation and bronzer, the eye shadow, eye liner, and mascara. A pale pink lipstick capped off the look.

 

Her nerves built the closer they got to the top. "How do I look? I look okay right?" She brushed her hands down her stomach.

 

Mike sent her a look. "Did you see the commotion you caused downstairs?"

 

"No?" She had been too busy trying not to throw up.

 

"You caused a fender bender. A bicyclist ran into a sign. A pedestrian ran into the trash can outside the door. Another one tripped over that blue vase. The valet shut a passenger in the car door. This was all before we got inside where a husband tripped over the luggage cart knocking the suitcases all over the floor. I'm pretty sure you caused three divorces on the walk to the elevators and will be the cause of a wet dream for four teenagers tonight. Do I need to go on?"

 

"You're such a liar."

 

"Surprisingly not this time," Mike chuckled. It had been comical to watch the reactions from people as Rachel walked through the lobby.

 

The elevator came to a stop and a second later the doors opened revealing a small lobby. Rachel assumed the elevator would have opened to the roof top. Stepping from the elevator she could see the doors to the outside. She could see the shadows of people on the other side. She could hear the music pumping and the loud conversation. A sign was erected depicting the event as Camp Podwall. It stood next to a table with a host who had a clipboard. A private party had a guest list. A man stood at the table talking with the host. Both men turned to look at her.

 

"Hey!" Eric grinned and stepped forward. He drew her into a short hug. "Been waiting on you."

 

"How'd you know I was coming?" Rachel asked when the hug ended. "Do you have spies downstairs?"

 

Eric grinned but didn't answer her question. "Hello, I'm Eric," he held his hand out to Rachel's bodyguard.

 

"Mike."

 

"You didn't have to bring him here. There's no one here except my crew."

 

"He's a big Glee fan hoping to see Matt."

 

Eric laughed at the thought of the big burly man watching Glee. "Sorry Man, he couldn't make it this year."

 

"Guess we'll have to stalk him later," Rachel teased Mike.

 

"You're hilarious." Mike said dryly. The look on his face signaled he wasn't impressed. "Regular riot."

 

"You look amazing." Eric said as he looked Rachel up and down. JC wasn't going to know what hit him

 

"Mike said I caused a traffic accident downstairs."

 

"I bet you did." Eric laughed. "You ready?"

 

"No." Rachel said, but it didn't matter. Eric simply tucked her arm through his and walked toward the door. Mike followed behind.

 

Eric opened the door and held it open allowing Rachel to walk through first. The music was loud as the DJ spun tracks. People mingled all over the roof, talking and laughing as they enjoyed the night waiting to ring in the New Year.

 

The nerves continued to build. There was no turning back. Rachel was outside, on the roof top, in the middle of the party. She'd been seen. She'd been recognized. She had no idea who any of the people were. She thought she recognized an actor from Glee but she wasn't sure.

 

"If you had been thirty seconds quicker last night or slower," Eric had to lean close in order for Rachel to hear him over the noise. "I'm not sure what C said to Jennifer to make her leave, but she didn't stick around."

 

"Meet me back at my room?"

 

"Not hardly," Eric shook his head. "Trust me. After what she did, he won't be getting back with her."

 

JC was in front of them. He hadn't noticed them. He was talking with a couple of people. His hair was down and he wore the same black rimmed glasses as last night. He had on black dress pants and brown shoes paired with a long sleeve button up dark green floral print shirt.

 

"The man has no fashion sense."

 

Eric chuckled. "Maybe you could help him with that?"

 

"I am only one person and that's a full time job." Rachel watched as he laughed and her stomach did a summersault. "You sure he's single?"

 

Eric snorted. "You think any woman would have let him buy that shirt, let alone walk out of the room with it on?"

 

Rachel titled her head in agreement. She would have burned the shirt on sight. There was still a bundle of nerves inside her belly. A quick look over her shoulder revealed Mike. He crossed his arms and arched an eyebrow. She wasn't getting passed him. If she tried to make a run for it now, she knew Mike would make good on his threat. He would toss her over his shoulder and deposit her right in front of JC. She thought about testing him, but before she could, Eric yelled out.

 

"JC!"

 

Hearing his name, JC turned his head in the direction. His eyes widened when he saw Rachel standing next to Eric.

 

"Holy shit," Kevin said, his eyes wide.

 

"I feel like I'm in the middle of Grease," Bryce said, leaned on Kevin's shoulder. "And bad girl Sandy just showed up."

 

"I got chills! They're multiplying..." Kevin sang as he chuckled.

 

JC left the guys behind and walked toward Rachel unable to take his eyes off her. She was stunning and he felt not worthy. He looked at her arm, tucked in Eric's and felt a wave of jealousy course through him. The green eyed monster reared its head and he wanted to forcefully remove Eric's arm. He hadn't been expecting her. Not here. Definitely not here at an invitation-only event. The smile on Eric's face alerted him the fix was in. Even Mike had a guilty look about him.

 

Rachel...she looked nervous. He could see the nervousness on her features. Twenty years. The words echoed in his head. The smile grew on his face as he came to a stop in front of her. He searched her eyes. The woman before him had been trying to get his attention for twenty years.

 

He didn't say a word. JC raised his hands and cupped her face. His fingers threaded through her hair. He lowered his head and captured her lips. He felt her hands grip his wrists as her lips moved with his. He felt a sense of victory knowing she had let go of Eric to hold on to him. When he broke the kiss he stared at her, watching as she slowly blinked her eyes open. "I owe you a drink."

 

A blush built on her neck and swept across her cheeks as Rachel thought about the previous night and the aborted drink.

 

"Lance said you were going back to Nashville."

 

"I thought about it," Rachel confessed. "Then I played eenie meanie miney moe on coming here or going home."

 

"And it picked here?"

 

"No it picked go home, but I didn't like that choice."

 

JC grinned and pulled her into a hug. Her arms wrapped around his waist and she relaxed into his hold. He saw Mike behind her in conversation with Eric. They were laughing, smiles on their faces. Even in conversation Mike's eyes constantly scanned the crowd looking for threats. He briefly wondered what had happened to make Rachel need a bodyguard. The thought vanished when Rachel raised her head.

 

"I've been trying to get your attention for twenty years." Rachel said she stared into his eyes.

 

"I've been told I'm an idiot."

 

Rachel smiled as she entwined her arms around his neck. His hands sat on her waist. She could feel the tiny movements of his thumbs as they moved back and forth. "Do I have your attention now?"

 

JC slide his hands from her waist around to her back and pulled her more tightly against him. "One hundred percent."

 

"Good," she closed the distance between them; their lips a breath apart. "My next step was lying naked in your bed." She watched his eyes darken.

 

"We don't have to stay here." JC's voice came out rough. That had been the text message that sent his thoughts reeling last night. The thought of walking into his bedroom seeing Rachel laid out of his bed. Naked. Waiting for him. He felt a shiver work its way through him.

 

Rachel giggled softly at his response. "We gotta ring in the New Year together."

 

"We can do that from my room."

 

Their noses touched gently. Breaths mixed. Their voices were soft. Even with the loud music around them, they still understood every word.

 

"You owe me a drink."

 

"I can get it to go."

 

The smile was slow to form on Rachel's lips. "We've waited this long. What's a few more hours?"

 

"Are you going to kiss me again?" He whispered against her lips.

 

"At midnight."

 

"Then too..." Before Rachel could respond, he kissed her.


Completed
TeamChasez is the author of 31 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story