Awkward was the word for the day, according to Sabrina. First, the flight to Savannah with Kelsey, then the limo ride, then the walk to dinner - which had consisted of Aria and Beckett walking with their father and Tinsley while Sabrina and Kelsey trailed behind - and now here they all sat together at dinner in what could only be described as an awkward gathering.


When JC had said they would be eating at City Market, Tinsley had immediately made a face and so at the last minute, they decided instead to go to River Street and eat at The Boar’s Head. As they had walked down the steep cobblestone steps to the restaurant, Tinsley had nearly tripped over her feet in her stiletto’s. Sabrina had stopped counting just how many times she’d stifled a laugh at this woman. She was a comedy act in the making.


The restaurant was apparently a historic landmark in the city and Kelsey had mentioned that she’d eaten there for prom her senior year of high school. It was upscale but compared with restaurants in Manhattan, fairly cheap.


They sat at a round table. JC sat next to Tinsley and Beckett sat on his other side. Aria had reluctantly sat on the other side of her future stepmother and Kelsey and Sabrina sat across from JC.


“Everything’s good here.” Tinsley spoke up. She looked at Kelsey. “But you said you ate here for your prom? You’re from here?”


“I told you that, honey.” JC reminded Tinsley.


“Yes, I grew up on the Southside near Oglethorpe Mall.” Kelsey answered and was trying her best to be polite. Sabrina could tell she was trying hard to keep her calm.


“Ohhh. Mother and Daddy live on Skidaway Island. Well, it’s like their summer home. Normally we’re in Atlanta,” Tinsley said. “We’ll be having the bridal luncheon tomorrow on Skidaway.” She looked at Aria. “And your dress will be ready to be picked up. It’s at Bleu Belle.”


“Where’s that?” Aria asked, not looking up from the menu. Sabrina wished she could kick her daughter under the table. Especially after the lecture she’d received from her in the hotel room.


“Kelsey, you know where it is, right?” Tinsley turned to Kelsey again, who shook her head.


“I haven’t lived here since 2000.” Kelsey just shrugged. “I’m sure we can google the address.”


“Do I have to go to the bridal luncheon?” Beckett spoke up and looked at his dad.


JC shook his head. “Nope. You and I are gonna go and have lunch together.”


Kelsey couldn’t help but smirk. This meant she wouldn’t need to make an appearance and might be able to meet up with Sarah Kate.


“Kelsey, Mother and I wanted you to be there. We’re all one big, happy family!” Tinsley’s giggle was as annoying as her entire given name.


Kelsey bit on her lip, forced a tight smile, and said, “Great. I’ll be there.” She looked around for their server, hoping he’d return to at least take their drink order. She was already wondering if it would be tacky to order a shot of Fireball before the bread arrived.


Sabrina, as if reading Kelsey’s mind, waved over their server, not caring if she appeared rude or not. She needed a glass of wine. Or liquor. Or really, if he just wanted to bring over a bottle of straight tequila, Sabrina would gladly chug it.


“What would you all like to drink?” The server - Wade on his nametag read- asked. Sabrina wondered if he could sense her desperation.


“I’ll have a glass of the Blufeld Riesling.” Sabrina had been ready and didn’t care if she’d jumped ahead of everyone.


“The Murphy Good Cab.” Kelsey jumped in behind Sabrina, disappointed that most of the red selections were bottle only and she didn’t think it would exactly be wise to order a whole bottle for herself.


“Sir?” Wade looked at JC and did the famous double-take people did when they recognized him. Kelsey and Sabrina could both tell Wade was now trying to brush off any nerves and not make a big deal that he was serving JC Chasez.


“Uh, whiskey neat.” JC didn’t glance up from the food menu. “And an order of Fried Green Tomatoes for the table.”


“Sure.” Wade scribbled on his pad, then turned to Tinsley. “Ma’am?”


“Um. Hmm. I can’t decide between a Pina Colada or an Appletini.” Tinsley sighed and looked at JC. “What do you think I should get?”


Sabrina saw Aria roll her eyes and shot her a look. Aria glanced at her mother and then looked down at the table.


“You love your Appletini. Let’s save the Pina Colada for Hawaii.” JC winked at her and Sabrina felt her heart sink. He’d always promised her a trip to Hawaii. They’d never made it because Aria had come along and then of course, Kelsey.


“That’s where we’re going on our honeymoon!” Tinsley gushed to the table.


Kelsey cringed and hoped she wouldn’t ask the two exes at the table where they’d been taken on their honeymoons. She hoped Tinsley wasn’t that stupid, but then again she was fast losing hope in JC’s fiance.


“May I have a Coke?” Aria spoke up, not giving any indication that she cared where her father and his soon-to-be wife were going on their trip.


“Beck, what do you want, buddy?” JC asked.


Beckett looked at Kelsey. “Can I have a Coke, too?”


Normally, Kelsey wasn’t keen on Beckett having caffeine at dinner, but tonight she didn’t care. It was already going to be a long dinner. She nodded at him and went back to looking at the menu.


Sabrina was still in her feelings about the whole honeymoon in Hawaii and was trying her best not to look crestfallen. It was years ago, stop, she told herself. She glanced over at Kelsey who was buried in the menu as though it were a novel. If Kelsey hadn’t come along, maybe she’d still be married to JC. Maybe they would’ve taken that trip to Hawaii. And they certainly wouldn’t be sitting here with some dimwitted girl who was going to be the third Mrs. Chasez.


Wade returned with their drinks and as he set JC’s whiskey in front of him, said, “By the way, I still listen to Schizophrenic. One of the best albums I’ve ever owned.”


JC smiled and acknowledged him. “Thanks, man. I appreciate that.”


Wade nodded and finished passing around the drinks. “I’ll be back with the fried green tomatoes. Are you all ready to order?”


Kelsey was starving and thankful that the bread had also arrived with the drinks. She reached over and tore off a piece, then slathered it with butter, not caring if she looked as ravenous as she was feeling. “I’m ready.” She spoke up and looked around the table.


“I’m not.” Tinsley sighed. “I just don’t know which salad I want.” She looked at JC. “Which one do you like?”


“I can come back,” Wade said, after observing the table and headed over to another patron.


“Omigod can you believe he actually liked Schizophrenic?” Tinsley giggled as though it was the funniest thing she’d ever heard before.


“Yes,” Kelsey decided she wasn’t going to hold back on this one. She knew how hard JC had worked on that album. She’d also known about the second album that had never come out nor had a chance.


Tinsley smirked. “Oh, I mean, sure it was good. It just...wasn’t my thing.” She looked down at her perfectly manicured nails and pretended to wipe away something on her hand.


“Well I’m sure in elementary school you probably weren’t allowed to listen to it.” Kelsey had spoken before she’d thought about what she was saying. Sabrina nearly choked on her wine and Aria snickered.


“Excuse me?” Tinsley shot a look at Kelsey, who was wishing she’d just kept her mouth shut.


“Nothing. Sorry.” Kelsey wasn’t going to get into it. Not here, anyway.


“Hey, it’s ok. I know people have their own taste in music.” JC glanced over at Kelsey when he said this. “It’s fine.”


“I wasn’t in elementary school,” Tinsley muttered, but it was a lie and Kelsey and Sabrina both knew it.


“Aria, how’s dance going?” JC turned the attention on Aria so as not to let this awkward interaction between Wife #2 and Tinsley linger.


Kelsey was only half paying attention to what Aria was saying and sipped her wine, wishing she wasn’t so damn impulsive.


Sabrina listened to Aria go on and on about her dancing and smiled proudly at her daughter. She glanced over at Kelsey who was listening but Sabrina could tell the interaction a few moments ago had shaken her. If she liked Kelsey, she might have done the “I have to go to the bathroom, come with me” thing. But instead, she decided she’d let Kelsey figure this one out on her own.


Their food came and the conversation never lulled. If it wasn’t about Aria or Beckett, it was about the bridal luncheon the next day and how Kendall Jenner was going to get there right before the actual ceremony. Kelsey said nothing, only watched the conversation and ate and drank in silence. She’d lost count of just how many glasses of wine she’d had, but judging from her fuzzy head, she knew it was at least two and a half.


“Stop contemplating,” JC told her as they walked out of the restaurant. Tinsley was walking ahead of them and Aria and Beckett were talking to Sabrina.


“What?” Kelsey looked up at him. “I’m not contemplating anything!”


“Yes you are. You’re contemplating how you probably shouldn’t have said what you did and how you wish you didn’t speak before you think. You were quieter tonight than I’ve ever seen you. Since when do you care about what you say?” JC looked down at her and winked at her. Kelsey sighed and rolled her eyes.


“I’m not contemplating anything, Josh.” Kelsey hated how well he still knew her. She had been quiet at dinner because after drinking as much wine as she had, she knew it was best to continue to keep her mouth shut. She had been surprised that Tinsley hadn’t said anything else to her about her elementary school comment, but Tinsley wasn’t going to bring that much negative attention on her in front of JC.


“Well, anyway. I’m glad we all got to go out.” He reached over and squeezed her shoulder. Kelsey forced a smile and trailed behind them as they walked along River Street.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: triangles otherwoman tabloids cheaterjc