Story Notes:

JC and Kennelly fight their way back to each other. Can they make it work?

 

“What’s the plan for today, hon?” Karen asked as she patted her son’s back where he sat at the kitchen table. 


“I’m not sure. Are the movers coming today?”


“Tomorrow at 9am. I’m going to be packing the last of the stuff we are taking to Florida.”


“I can help.” He offered his mom a small smile, knowing it didn’t really convince her.


She nodded with a smile and then patted his shoulder before heading out of the kitchen. JC hated that his Mom was worried about him. He knew staying in Chicago while stuck in his head about Ken would spill over onto his parents. He just needed time to think it through. He finished the coffee in his mug and then rinsed it in the sink as his phone dinged with a new text message.


Kennelly: I just found the picture of us that you hung. It looks amazing. We had so much fun that day. Xoxo


He couldn’t help but smile. He could imagine her face when she saw the framed photo of them at DisneyLand. He had found it online and loved the inscription: a Wish is a Dream Your Heart Makes. It seemed to be so fitting since they were at Disney and she seemed to be the wish he didn’t even know his heart made. So why had he run? Why did he get so angry when she had other plans for her days off? He knew she was a busy, professional woman and he loved that she had her own life. But he still didn’t want to play second fiddle.


He stared down at his phone, debating whether to answer her or not. It had been two days since he’d left her condo and he still wasn’t any closer to putting his thoughts into words. His phone vibrated back to back in his hand signaling two incoming messages.


Kennelly: I do wish you’d talk to me. I want to help you find answers if I can.


Eric: What’s up, dude? You in LA?


JC replied to Eric.  I’m in Chicago. Helping M&D get ready for big move to FL. You?


Eric: I’m home in LA. Thinking about Labor Day. You in for Hamptons? The Bs are going.


JC smiled at the mention of some of his favorite people. His group of friends always had a great time no matter where they were. He wondered what his friends would think of Kennelly. What would she think of them?


JC: I can do part of the weekend. I have family stuff already planned. I’ll let you know for sure.


Eric: Cool, man. Lemme know if your new girl will be joining us. How is she, BTW?


JC: IDK. I think I screwed up. Still wrapping my brain around it.


JC tucked his phone into his back pocket and headed off to find his Mom.


***(((**((***((((


Kennelly felt like she was walking in a fog. She couldn’t stop replaying the memory of JC walking out of her condo. It had been two days. Two days since her world had been turned upside down. How had he gotten to be the center of her world so quickly? How could she recenter her world? How could she get back to ‘normal’ if he didn’t want her any longer? She took a deep breath, tied her sneakers and headed out. She wanted to try running down her problems, not running away from them.


**((((****(((***(((


JC loaded the last of the boxes from his Mom’s office into the back of her car and his brain returned to Kennelly. He couldn’t get her out of his head and, if he was honest, he didn’t want to. She was the first thing he thought about when he woke and the last thing on his mind when he went to sleep. She consumed his brain anytime he wasn’t focused on keeping her at bay. Her beautiful face and olive eyes haunted him, as did a song he’d written years before.


I can't be with anyone since I felt our worlds collide

It's like I almost died

The way you make me feel

I'm changing, got me breaking down inside

Baby can't you see, you ruined me

For life


He needed to talk to her and get some perspective but he didn’t know what to say. He’d practiced the conversation in his head a million times and each time was different. The only consistent thing was that she hung up on him and never spoke to him again. He knew he absolutely didn’t want that and now he was afraid his silence and hesitation had driven her away. How long had he expected her to keep trying?


“Just bite the bullet,” he scolded and pressed send on his phone.

 

“Hello?”


“Hi. It’s JC.”


“Oh,” her surprise was evident. “How are you?”


“I’m...I’ve been better.”


“I can imagine.”


“How’s Ken?”


“Miserable,” Marilyn answered. “Why don’t you just talk to her?”


“I-I don’t know what to say.”


“Start with hello. It works for me, but you could also try hi or hey.”


He laughed. It was genuine and loud and felt amazing. He needed that release.


“Why did you run?”


“I’m still working that out.”


“Let me tell you something about my friend, Ken.” Marilyn took a breath and cleared her throat. “She doesn’t do casual. As hard as she tries, she can’t disconnect sex from emotions. The first time with you had underlying feelings as a fan, but she really likes you. I’d fashion to say she more than likes you, but I don’t think she has realized that yet. If you were to commit to just her and make even half an effort, you’d be the center of her world.”


“I….I..


“Did you know she applied to do travel nursing after she got back from LA?”


“No.”


“Did you know she is set to take the California Nursing Exam in October?”


“No.” His voice was incredibly quiet. “She never told me.”


“Why would she? Until you came to Chicago, she was under the impression that you were still sticking it to other women.”


“I tried sex with a friend once since Ken came into my life and it didn’t go well.”


“Could that be because your  heart is interested in only Ken? Or already involved with Ken’s?”


“I…..I….”


“I’m just trying to give you some things to think about and consider.” Marilyn took another deep breath. “You need to really figure out what’s going on and start talking to her. She’s all over the place when it comes to you. Your silence is making her crazy. I’ve never seen her like this. She’s running every day, sometimes twice a day. She’s not sleeping much and she’s overworking herself but she’s strong and she won’t back down.”


“She’s one of the most fascinating women I’ve ever met,” JC said with a huge smile and a sigh. “I miss her. I miss her voice and her laugh and her crazy stories. 


“When are you going to call her?”


“I-I’m not sure what to say yet. I need to think.”


“The ball is in your court, hon,” she reminded and he heard people in the background. “My guests have arrived. Think it over tonight then reach out to her. She needs to hear from you or she’s going to move on. She won’t be whole but she’s a survivor.”


“I’ll figure it out. Thanks for listening.”


“You’re welcome, hon. Come back to Houston soon and hang on the boat with us.”


They hung up and JC formulated a plan as he went back inside. 

 

****((((****((((

 

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know what you think!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc producerjc