“Is it normal for my hands to hurt a little?” JC asked as he flexed his right hand. “My fingers are stiff.”


“You frosted more than 50 cupcakes. I’d be surprised if you weren’t a little sore, punk.”


He laughed and pulled Ken close, nuzzling her neck. The afternoon and evening had passed quickly as they worked in the bakery. After they had finished the cupcakes, Ken had moved on to the Mickey cake. He watched her roll out fondant and cover the cake. Pieces seemed to be temperamental but Ken didn’t give up. It took her nearly an hour but her finished cake looked fantastic.


“Is your hand up for a smash cake?”


“What’s a smash cake?” He asked, bringing his hands up to cup her face and change the angle of her face for a better kiss. “Is it for us to take back to your condo?”


“Ha! No. It’s for the birthday boy.”


JC lost all thought of the smash cake when Ken’s tongue swept past his lips. He wasn’t sure how it was possible but everytime he kissed her, he felt more and more intune with her. He was definitely learning to speak Kennelly. All too soon, she pulled back and sighed.


“I could kiss you for hours.”


“I could kiss you for hours as well,” Ken smiled and stepped out of his reach. “I need to finish the smash cake and box the cupcakes or I don’t get to go home.”


“We don’t want to leave you trapped here.”


“No, we don’t. Especially since it’s Monday and I happen to know you have a recording session on Wednesday. I imagine this is your last night in Chicago so I’d really like to spend it with you but not here.”


“I can work on the cupcakes while you do the cake if you want.”


“Thank you, punk.”


Ken lead him to the boxes and showed him how to fold it. Once they had four ready to go, Ken left him to start on the smash cake. 


“You’re just doing more swirls.” JC’s hands paused loading cupcakes as he watched her cover the 6 inch cake in blue swirls. “I could do that.”


“I asked if your hands were up to it but you offered to do the boxes.”


An hour later, all of the cupcakes were boxes and the smash cake was resting in the walk-in. Kennelly checked the order book one final time before hanging the last of the rubber spatulas above the mixer. She took the rag JC used to wipe down the counters and grabbed the full laundry basket by the back door before heading out to the front of the bakery. 


“What are your dinner plans?”


“I’m all yours.” JC took the basket so she could lock the door. “Anything specific you’re hungry for?”


“Honestly, something we can take home so I can relax with you.”


“I saw a Thai place on the way here. Do you like Thai?”


“I do.” Ken opened her trunk and JC loaded the basket before she pulled him close for a long hug. “Do you want to stop and get it while I head home? I can get this laundry started and make some iced tea.”


JC nodded and took her order. Twenty minutes later, he rang her doorbell and carried a large bag of food inside. She had their drinks and utensils ready on the coffee table. Together they unpacked the food and settled on the couch.


“Do you work tomorrow?”


“Yeah, 7a to 7p. What time is your flight?” Ken asked before taking a bite of noodles, expertly using chopsticks.


“2 in the afternoon.”


“You’re welcome to stay here until you need to head to the airport.”


“Thanks. I want to be here.” JC pulled her ponytail so he could get a quick smooch. “I need to check on a few things in LA but I’d like to be back for your eye surgery. Is that OK?”


“You’re welcome here anytime, punk. I like having you here. I like being able to touch you and see you and smell you.”


“I like being close to you, too.”


They ate in a comfortable silence for several minutes. Ken switched on the television to some mindless comedy and then sipped her tea. She bit her lip and scrunched her nose before finally turning on the couch to face him.


“So...when we were in the bathtub and discussing my schedule, you asked what you were going to do for sex while we were apart.”


“I’m not going to fuck anyone else. We agreed to be exclusive when we talked in the cooler at the bakery. Or did you forget?”


“I didn’t forget. Let me finish, punk.” She playfully swatted his arm, making him drop a piece of chicken on his lap. “I was just going to mention that I thought of another way we could...uh...connect.”


“Oh yeah?”


“We could skype or video chat. I don’t know what app you use but we both have iPhones so maybe Facetime.”


“Our own digital getdown.” JC grinned and set his food aside before leaning into her. “I love that idea.”


“I’m not saying we have to actually ‘get down’ on camera but the option is there if the distance or time apart is too much.”


“Everything is a poor substitute for the real thing but sometimes you just need a little visual stimulation to get through.”


“Right.” Ken nodded and tilted her head so JC had better access to her neck. “I need to look at the work calendar when I’m there tomorrow and see if I can move some things around so that I have a chunk of time off that’s not Labor Day weekend.”


“Don’t.”


“Why not?”


“I..uh..I think I want to invite you to Florida or the Hamptons.”


“Who is in the Hamptons?”


“Eric rented a place and several friends will be there.” JC took a deep breath then asked, “Do you want to go with me and meet some of my friends?”


“You want me to meet some of your friends?”


“I do.”


“Oh, uh, I’d like that.” Ken smiled tentatively. “I hope you don’t feel pressured to invite me.”


“I don’t. I think you’ll like them and I know they will love you.”


“I’d love to go and meet your friends. Thank you.”


JC grinned and kissed her, pushing her back onto the couch. He easily pushed one knee between hers and a hand under the rib cage. He had no idea that he would actually invite her to the Hamptons and she’d say yes. Now, he had to get her to agree to come to Florida.


“So…”


“You want to talk now?” Ken asked with a laugh and hooked one of her legs around one of his. “I can think of other things we could be doing, punk.”


“We’ll get to that, I promise. I just wanted to know if you’d like to go to Florida with me as well.”


“You said it was a family weekend. I don’t want to intrude.”


“You’re not intruding.” JC rubbed her nose with his. “I’d like to introduce you to my family. Well, the rest of my family since you already met Mom.”


“Are we ready for that step?”


“I am. Are you? I mean, I’ve already been submerged into your family. Why not return the favor?”


“Punk.” Ken laughed and swatted his bottom. “I’d like to meet them as long as you’re OK with it.”


“I want you there. Dad, Ty and I are doing a fishing trip early one morning but I can skip it.”


“Don’t you dare. I’m sure I can entertain myself or something.”


“OK, OK. I won’t skip it.” JC kissed her once more then rested his head on her chest, working his arms under her. “I love being this close to you.”

 

“Agreed.” Ken sighed and combed her fingers through his hair.”

Chapter End Notes:

 

Looks like I've had some readers. Are you enjoying this story?



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc producerjc