Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the hiatus. I was on vacation. :)

 

JC arrived back in Chicago the night before Kennelly’s eye surgery. She had picked him up at the airport and they’d driven back to her condo. 


“I need to wash the day off. You want to unpack and join me?” Ken offered with a smile as she unpacked a few groceries she had picked up before she met him. 


“Definitely!”


He followed her up the steps, his bag in hand, then into the bedroom. He dropped the bag on the bed and unzipped, easing his toiletry bag out. He then pulled a stack of shirts, shorts and jeans and placed them on the bed.


“I cleared out 2 drawers for you.” Ken slid open one large and one small drawer of her dresser then stood nervously to the side. “I thought you might like to not live out of a bag when you’re here.”


“Ken, that would be awesome. Thank you.”


JC quickly unpacked into the drawers then pulled her close, nuzzling her neck. His fingers made quick work of the rubberband, freeing her curls. The vanilla scent of her filled his nose and lungs, making him feel centered and at home.


After a quick but fun shower, the two resettled back in the kitchen. They made a delicious dinner of shrimp scampi and salad before settling on the couch, the TV playing in the background. Their conversation was light as they caught up on each other’s last few days. Ken smiled when JC relayed Lance and Michael’s love and dinner invitation. 


“Does the dinner invitation have an expiration date?” Ken questioned as she settled back into the arm of the couch. “I don’t know exactly when I’ll be in LA again. I hope sooner rather than later.”


“I hope so, too. You test in October so maybe not that long after you get your results.”


“We also have to figure out the bakery. I can’t leave my family high and dry. Any move for me has to be planned and will take some time.”


“I understand.” He squeezed her leg and moved a little closer. “How much time do you think though?”


“JC.” She sighed.


“I don’t need an exact number of days, but like a ball park.”


“I don’t know for sure.” Ken sighed but didn’t wiggle out of his grasp. “I doubt it would be before the end of the year.”


“I assumed a nursing license was valid in every state.”


“Not necessarily. It was something I had to learn and consider before moving. A travel nurse agency will help with a job placement after I’ve passed.”


“Do you get to specify where you want to work?” JC was curious on how it all worked now that he knew she had a plan. “Like which city?”


“City, yes but I’m unsure if I’ll have a choice of which hospital though. I’m qualified to work at a Level One Trauma center so that should allow me to work just about anywhere.”


“Will you stay in the Emergency Room?”


“Yeah, that’s my skill set and I don’t think I’d do well as a floor nurse.” She smiled again. “I need to be busy.”


As she talked, he couldn’t take his eyes off of her. He loved how her brow wrinkled with her determination but her smile was his favorite feature. Her lips flattened across her white teeth and the sides of her mouth showed a few laugh lines.


“I love your smile.”


She blushed a little and he slid his hands up to her knees as he shifted closer. When she didn’t stop him, he eased himself between her knees so he could get closer to her face.


“Punk.”


“God, I’ve missed you.” He paused with his face just above hers and waited until she lifted her lips up to his. “My Ken.”


He kept his kiss light and short but gave an internal scream of joy when he felt her kiss him back. Ken laughed and he joined in before lightly biting where her shoulder met her neck. As they wrestled and laughed, both slid further down on the couch and he held his weight above her so as not to squish her. They kissed but she pulled back before he was able to work his hand under her bra.


“Punk.” Her voice was filled with regret as she pulled back from him.


“You don’t want to? We can go slow.”


“I have my period.” She made a face and they both laughed. “I haven’t ever done period sex and the thought just isn’t appealing. Not even with you, punk.”


“I get it.”


“Are you disappointed?”


“A little but I get it.” He rested his forehead on hers again then kissed her nose. “I think we need to go a little slow anyway. I want to make sure you have no lingering regrets about letting me back in.”


“I don’t.”


“I also think we need to come up with a nickname for me to call you.”


“Why?” Ken laughed and swatted his ass. 


“Why not? I mean, I enjoy you calling me punk. No one else on the planet calls me that.”


“That’s because I’m special. I mean, I don’t want you to get confused on who you’re with.”


“You’re so ornery to me.” JC captured her hands and held them above her head as he nuzzled her neck. “Cupcake. That’s what I’m going to call you.”


“Cupcake? Because I’m a kick-ass baker?”

 

“Yes but also because you smell like a cupcake. My cupcake.” Her laugh made his heart sing and he couldn’t resist kissing her again.

Chapter End Notes:



Do you like what you read?


Incomplete
KrisB is the author of 16 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked ORD MCO HTO also liked 19 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Love Without Borders. The previous story in the series is Chicago.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc producerjc