Story Notes:

Fan encounter

Kandi sat at the breakfast bar sipping her delicious morning coffee. She was still in disbelief. She had spent the weekend with a new group of friends, including JC Chasez. The group had driven up the Pacific Coast Highway to a beach house that Eric rented. They had all spent time at the beach, around the bonfire and lounging around the spacious house. All too soon they would be loading up the two cars to return home.


“Morning.” JC’s voice came out as a low grumble as he walked directly to the coffee pot.


“Morning.”


Kandi took her time appreciating him from behind. He was dressed casually in jeans that hung slightly off of his hips, a white beater with an open blue shirt over it, and sliders. His too long hair was tucked under a baseball cap and his adorable glasses were in place as he turned to join her at the bar.


“Is Jen up and moving?” Kandi asked since Jen was the reason she’d been invited along.


“Yeah. She’s in the shower. Man, this coffee hit the spot.”


“Agreed.”


They sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes. She liked that JC didn’t pull out his phone and ignore her. She had noticed that he wasn’t addicted to his phone as much as the normal person. It was more of an afterthought. She knew from her friendship with Jen that he didn’t answer Jen’s texts or messages as quickly as Jen would prefer. Looks like he wasn’t going to change that anytime soon and that made her smile.


There was so much Kandi, as a fan, wanted to ask him. When was he going to release some more music? Was he truly happy doing what he was doing? Would he ever put out more music with NSYNC? What projects were in the works now? Why did he like his hair so long? Why did he dye it so dark? Did the gray she’d seen popping up in his stubble and sideburns bother him  or those around him? Before she worked up the courage to pick one and ask, the other guests joined them in the kitchen. All too soon, they were loading the cars.


“All set?” JC asked the rest of the car including Kandi, Jen and another friend Rob. “Good. Top up or down?”


“Dude, you’re in a convertible, driving down the PCH. Down, of course,” Rob answered with a laugh. “Better tie your hair back, ladies.”


Kandi pulled her hair back and smiled in the rearview mirror when she met JC’s eyes. She watched as he turned his ball cap back around so it wouldn’t blow off either then pushed the button to lower the top of the car.


“Here we go!” JC yelled as he put the car in gear and pulled out of the driveway.


Kandi’s brain immediately started singing ‘Hey We Go’ by NSYNC and found her head bopping along to the dance moves she’d watched so many times from their live performances and recordings. She caught herself after a minute and shifted around, hoping no one had noticed. No one seemed to be paying her any attention as Jen and Rob settled back and closed their eyes. 


Not long into the drive, JC turned on the radio then met her eyes in the mirror.


“Is this OK?”


“I love music but could you turn it up some? The wind blocks a lot of it out.” Kandi smiled as she tucked an escaped piece of hair behind her ear.


“Your wish is my command.”


Both grinned as he turned up the music. Kandi sat back to enjoy the ride, silently hoping, wishing and praying that JC would sing along to the music. Her brain flipped through hundreds of songs she wanted to hear him sing, not able to come up with a favorite.


Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect” came on and Kandi bit her lip to stop from begging JC to sing it. The first two sections of song played with no noise leaving JC’s lips. Disappointment started to settle in the pit of Kandi’s stomach.


“Baby, I’m dancing in the dark,” JC belted out and Kandi let out a delighted but quiet squeal as he continued.


OMG OMG OMG was all she could think. Her heart raced and the smile on her face was blinding. My own personal concert! How many other fans across the world would love to hear this! Her hands moved without thought and she pulled up the voice recorder app she had on her phone. She pushed the record button just as the chorus came back around and held it close to the back of his seat. She was extremely thankful that Jen and Rob both had their eyes closed and that the others were in the lead car so no one caught her.


Over the next two hours, Kandi recorded little snip bits of JC singing along to the radio without being caught. She recorded pieces of Pink’s “Slut Like Me”, Bee Gee’s “How Deep Is Your Love”, “Bring It On Home To Me” by Sam Cooke, John Legend’s “Tonight” and “All Of Me” and Gavin Degraw’s “Say I Am”.


She couldn’t stop smiling as they pulled up to her condo. Jen and Rob were still snoozing as JC parked then got out. He pushed the seat forward then offered his hand to help her out of the back.


“Thank you.” She squeezed his fingers before letting go.

 

They both moved to the trunk of the car and JC pulled out her bag. He placed it on the curb and eased up the handle before turning back to her.


“Thanks for coming with us this weekend,” JC said with a kind smile. “It was great getting to know you, especially after hearing stories from Jen about you.”


“Thanks for having me.”


“Well, I’d better get the sleepyheads home so they can go to bed.”


Kandi laughed with him. To her surprise, she found herself wrapped in his arms. She was caught off guard for a split second before she hugged him back. She couldn’t stop herself from sniffing his neck and was immediately embarrassed when they pulled apart.


“I like your cologne.”


“Thanks.” JC winked then walked back to the car. “See you next time, Kandi.”


Kandi waved before heading inside, not surprised to find her roommate in their living room. Kris wore a look of expectation.


“Hi.”


“Hi?” Kris laughed. “Did his hug short circuit your brain?”


“No, don’t be ridiculous. He has a girlfriend who happens to be my friend and coworker.”


“I know, I know but I also know how big a fan you are.”


Kandi flopped down on the couch near Kris, catching the pile of shirts she nearly knocked over. Her face was starting to hurt from all of the smiling but she wouldn’t change it.


“The weekend was a lot of fun. Those folks are cool and Jen made sure to include me in conversations.” Kandi sighed. “But the best part was the ride home.”


“You wanted to leave?”


“No, let me finish, brat.”


“OK. OK.” Kris laughed and turned to give Kandi her full attention, the laundry forgotten.


“I had my own private concert on the way home.”


“WHAT?!?!?!?”


“Yep. Jen and Rob fell asleep so it was just us. He turned on the radio and soon he was singing along. The seatbelt could barely contain me. I can’t stop smiling.”


“What did he sing? Was he quiet? Loud? Did he sing to you?” Kris nearly vibrated with questions. “I’m so jealous!”


“Wanna hear some?”


“WHAT!?!?!?!”


“I used my voice recorder on my phone. I don’t know if it actually worked but I tried.” Kandi grinned as she pulled her phone from her pocket.


“OMG OMG OMG!”


“I know!”


Kandi pulled up one of the recordings and hit play. The room was filled with JC’s smooth voice and both women sighed. Neither spoke until the clip was over.


“OH MY GOODNESS!!”


“I know. It was even better in person,” Kandi admitted as she slumped back on the couch. “I have no words.”


“Stunned. I’m stunned. It has been so long since we’ve heard him sing live.”


“I know.”


“Are you going to share these online or with other friends?” Kris asked and Kandi shrugged. “You’ll share with me, right?”


“I just did, didn’t I?”


“I meant more. You’ll share more of them, right?”


“Of course,” Kandi agreed with a laugh. “I know other fans would love to hear these but I didn’t ask if I could record him and I don’t want to ruin my friendship with him or Jen.”


“I get it.”


Both sat in silence as Kandi played the same clip again then Kris’ grin widened.


“So...when are you hanging with him again? And can you get a video of the body next time?”

 

“PERV!!”

Chapter End Notes:

 

 

Story idea came from hours upon hours of JC discussion with my JC bestie!


Completed
KrisB is the author of 16 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story