Rachel pulled open her apartment door and smiled seeing JC standing in the hallway. Her heart flip flopped at his smile. She moved to hug him but stopped seeing the stocky black man standing behind him. She paused.

 

"Don't mind him," JC told her. He took a step forward, lifting his arms and drew her into a hug. It had been two weeks since he seen her last. Two long weeks filled with shows, interviews, and appearances.

 

"So glad you were able to get away." Rachel grabbed her purse from the back of the couch. JC held the door for her as she walked out into the hallway.

 

"I owe Joey a favor now. I was supposed to go with Lance and Chris to do a radio interview."

 

"Well tell Joey thank you for me." Rachel said as they stepped into the elevator taking it to the first floor. "After yesterday fell through, I didn't think we'd be able to hang out."

 

"I'm sorry about that," JC apologized. They were in Chicago for the weekend for two shows. Yesterday, he had tried to sneak away to spend time with Rachel but an interview popped up squashing those plans.

 

Rachel waited while JC's bodyguard opened the door of the black SUV with tinted windows. She climbed into the backseat when JC nudged her. JC followed behind her while the bodyguard climbed into the passenger seat. A few moments later they pulled away from her apartment building.

 

"No sneaking out today huh?"

 

JC chuckled. "No. Not only did I have to wheel and deal to get Joey to take my interview, I had to do the same with Lonnie here."

 

It had taken a lot of planning on JC's part to carve out three hours on a Sunday afternoon before a concert. A lot of begging and pleading as well. He'd been excited to realize they were coming to Chicago - where Rachel lived - for two shows. Ever since New York, they had talked every day. It had been hard not seeing her yesterday knowing he was so close. They were supposed to catch a movie yesterday afternoon but a last minute interview popped up that required all five of them. He hated having to call and cancel knowing he didn't have any free time to see her. Joey had made him work for it earlier. He wasn't looking forward to what Joey would make him do in return. Whatever it was would be worth it though. Seeing Rachel's smiling face when she opened the door was worth what he had to do.

 

Rachel accepted JC's hand when he climbed from the SUV. He had his hat pulled low and sunglasses covering his eyes in an attempt at anonymity. "What happens if you get recognized?"

 

"Pandemonium." JC squeezed her hand. "But don't worry. We'll be fine. That's why Lonnie is here. He'll get us to safety."

 

"Maybe we should have done something somewhere quieter." Rachel looked around the area outside the movie theatre. There were lots of people milling around. Waiting in line for tickets. She was confused when they bypassed the ticket window and went inside. "Don't we need tickets?"

 

JC shook his head. "It's taken care of." Standing in line gave him a greater chance at being recognized. If he was alone with Rachel, he had a better chance at going unnoticed. Lonnie stuck out like a sore thumb. He looked like a body guard and would cause people to look closely at him.

 

A few minutes later they were settling in their seats with drinks and popcorn. Lonnie sat in the row directly behind them.

 

"I have never had a chaperone on a date before," Rachel whispered.

 

"I'm sorry. I know it's not ideal..."

 

"No no no," Rachel said quickly settling her hand over his. "It's okay. I appreciate everything you had to do just to do this."

 

JC turned his hand over and threaded their fingers together. He lifted their hands and pressed a kiss to her knuckles. "I've been looking forward to today since we had lunch."

 

"Me too."

 

Rachel tried to inconspicuously wipe her tears. She had no idea Moulin Rouge would be sad or else she would have suggested something else like The Fast and the Furious. No way would that movie induce tears. At least she didn't think it would.

 

JC saw the movement from the corner of his eye. A small smile grew on his face and he let go of her hand to wrap his arm around her shoulder.

 

"Sorry," Rachel whispered with a slight laugh. She felt her cheeks heat in embarrassment.

 

"It's okay," JC tightened his arm around her shoulder holding her close to him. As much as the theater chairs would allow. Without thought he pressed a kiss to the top of her hair.

 

They watched the final moments of the movie. The lights came on as the credits started and people stood to make their way to the exits. JC took Rachel's hand in his as they slowly made their way out of the aisle. He kept his head down and his eyes averted.

 

Once they cleared the row, he felt Lonnie fall in behind him. With his hand still in Rachel's he followed closely behind. When they made it to the lobby, his hand tightened in hers. He moved to her side and lengthened his stride moving quickly to the doors and outside. He put his sunglasses on.

 

Rachel kept pace with him as they walked to the black SUV. The vehicle running; the driver already inside. Like before, Lonnie opened the back door. She climb in first with JC behind her. Lonnie shut the door and climbed into the passenger. Then they were leaving and heading back to her apartment.

 

"Sorry about the water works," Rachel said as they walked down the hall to her apartment. They were alone. Lonnie had stayed in the car. Nerves grew in her belly. Would he kiss her goodbye? She hoped so. This would be the last time they would see each other until... she didn't know when. When would they see each other again? JC was still on tour. She lived in Chicago.

 

"It's okay."

 

"You're a champ watching something without blood and guts. No action."

 

"I liked it. I'm not a big fan of blood and guts anyway."

 

"I don't want to say goodbye..." Rachel confessed after silence had fallen between them. She looked down when JC took her hand.

 

JC didn't either. It was only June. He was touring until the end of August. He wasn't sure when he could get away. If he even could until September. "I don't either." Lonnie would be coming after him if he didn't move.

 

"Thank you for rearranging things so we could meet up."

 

"It was just as beneficial to me." JC lifted his free hand and tucked Rachel's hair behind her ear. "I don't know when I'll be able to get away again."

 

"I know." Rachel squeezed his hand. She reached up and took his hat off his head. The low bill caused his eyes to be partially hidden. She felt she hadn't been truly able to see his face all afternoon. She stared into his eyes, her heart skipping a beat. "We still got phones."

 

"Not the same." JC swung their hands back and forth.

 

"I know."

 

JC took a step forward, bringing them closer together. "I gotta go," he whispered.

 

"I know," Rachel said just as softly. Her breath caught when he his head lowered.

 

"I'm gonna kiss you."

 

"I know." His lips brushed against hers. The hat fell from her hand to the floor when her fingers relaxed at his kiss. He deepened the kiss and she melted against him. Her hands grabbed his waist. Her lips parted and moved with his.

 

When the kiss ended, JC cupped her face. He smiled when her eyes blinked open. "I'll call you tonight after the show."

 

"Can't wait." Rachel slipped her arms around his waist pulling him into a hug. She laid her head on his chest, breathing him in. They hugged for a few minutes before she picked her head up. This time she initiated the kiss. "Have a good show," she whispered when the kiss broke.

 

"See you later," JC kissed her softly once more before he let her go. He leaned down to pick up his hat from the floor. He put it on his head and pulled it low. "Bye."

 

"Bye JC."

 

Caught a movie



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story