The cramp ripped through her belly causing her to cry out. She dropped the bowl of cut up watermelon wedges she'd been carrying and bent at the waist wrapping her arms around her protruding belly.

 

"Rachel!" Karen gasped and quickly skirted the island in the kitchen to her daughter-in-law. "What's wrong?"

 

"I think I'm in labor..." The pain eased in her belly and she blew out a breath as she stood. "I can't be in labor..." She met Karen's eyes frantically. "I'm not due for another week."

 

Karen smiled softly and squeezed Rachel's hand. "I think the baby has other ideas."

 

Laughter trickled in from outside on the patio where JC's family was gathered alongside hers. It was the Fourth of July. She and JC were hosting a family get together cookout. Celebrating the holiday. Celebrating family. Having a last hoorah before the baby came. Next week. Not this week. Not today.

 

"But the cookout..." Rachel repeated numbly.

 

"Don't you worry about that. We will take care of everything." Karen rubbed Rachel's back comfortingly. "We just need to relax. See how far apart the contractions are."

 

"Oh!" Rachel stared at her mother-in-law wide-eyed. "I didn't look at the clock. I forgot."

 

"It's okay Sweetie I got it. Just relax. We're gonna go sit down. Relax and see how far apart the contractions are. Are your hospital bags packed?"

 

Rachel nodded. "Yeah. They are in the bedroom." Her bags had been packed for weeks. The nursery had been done for months. From the moment they had found they were expecting, both she and JC had been counting down the days.

 

"Good. Let's get you sitting down and I'll go get JC."

 

As Rachel took a step another pain ripped through her stomach. She gave a small cry and clutched her belly.

 

"Oh dear," Karen's eyes widened as she looked at her watch. The timing couldn't be right. Rachel's contractions couldn't be this close together already.

 

"Are you eating all the watermelon or what?" Lindsay asked as she walked into the kitchen from the patio. The difference in temperature hit her immediately. It was hot outside. Even with the umbrellas set up to block the sun and well placed fans to send a cool breeze over the group. She had definitely jumped in the pool a few times to cool off. Was close to doing it again. "What's going on!" She exclaimed seeing the watermelon on the floor and her sister bent over. "Rachel! Are you okay?" She rushed to her side.

 

"I'm okay," Rachel breathed out. Tears pricked her eyes. "I'm okay."

 

"Lindsay, Sweetie, go get JC," Karen said calmly.

 

"But Rachel..."

 

"Lindsay, I need you to get JC. Just tell him I need his help in the kitchen. Don't send anyone into a panic."

 

"Is Rachel okay?"

 

"She's fine Lindsay."

 

"Are you sure?" Lindsay asked.

 

"I'm okay," Rachel righted herself and sent her younger sister a smile. "It looks like you're gonna be an aunt sooner than you expected."

 

Lindsay's eyes widened. "Really?"

 

"Lindsay?" Karen said. A smile on her face. "JC please."

 

"Right." Lindsay quickly turned and went back outside. She found her brother-in-law sitting at a table surrounded by her brothers, Nate and Ben, JC's brother Tyler, and Joey.

 

"Where's my watermelon Linds?" Ben yelled when he saw his sister approaching.

 

"I ate it all," Lindsay smarted. "Karen needs you in the kitchen."

 

JC wasn't sure what alerted him. Looking back he would be certain Lindsay's voice had been calm and even. Normal. Something about her told him he needed to get to the kitchen. He pushed the chair back from the table and put his drink down. Before he entered his house, he could see the scene through the sliding glass door. The mess on the floor. His wife bent over. His mother at Rachel's side. He jumped into gear, throwing the door open. "What's wrong? What's going on? Mom? Rachel?"

 

Karen looked up, staring at JC over Rachel's back. "She's in labor, JC."

 

"In labor?" JC echoed his face paling. "But she's not due until next week."

 

"The baby's decided today was as good as any."

 

"Rachel," JC brushed his hand over his wife's back as he wrapped an arm around her. He bent over with her. His other hand reached to hold her hand. Her grip was tight.

 

Rachel lifted her head. Her cheeks were streamed with tears. "JC..."

 

"I know. I know..." he said softly. "Can you stand? I got you. Just hold on to me."

 

Rachel unfolded her body and stood. Her hand kept a tight grip on her husband's. Before she could open her mouth she felt liquid rush down her legs. She gasped and stared at the tiled floor. "My water broke!"

 

The words set off utter commotion as Denise had been coming inside to check on her daughter. Her cry in exclamation brought everyone inside. Roy had been the one to take charge; sending most back outside to stay out of the way. He sent Tyler to start JC's car and turn the air conditioner on. Nate had been sent to clear the vehicles from the drive clearing a path for JC to leave. His wife collected the hospital bags while JC and Denise had taken Rachel to change her soiled bottoms. In no time at all his son and daughter-in-law were on their way to the hospital to have their first child.

 

Hours later as the sun neared descent over the western Florida sky, JC bent over a hospital bed pressing a kiss to his wife's forehead. "You're doing great. I love you so much."

 

"It hurts JC..." Rachel whispered. She lifted her arm, hospital bracelets falling up her wrist and threaded her fingers through his curly hair. She pressed her forehead to his and let her eyes close. Breathing. Trying to soak up his strength.

 

"I know it does." JC said softly. "You're doing so great. We're almost there. We're gonna be parents soon. Our little firecracker."

 

"Please don't call our baby a firecracker.

 

"Why not?" JC grinned. "He or she will be born of the Fourth of July."

 

"I'm sure Chris is already thinking up a million nicknames to celebrate the occasion," Rachel said dryly. Her stomach pinch again and she grabbed the bedrails and pushed as the doctor instructed.

 

"That's it..." In the back of his mind he was thankful she had the foresight to release his hair when the contraction came. It was a thought better left unspoken. He counted to ten like the doctor had instructed him to do when the pushing started. "Breath..."

 

"Almost there," the doctor said from between Rachel's legs. "A couple more pushes and we'll have a baby. JC, do you want to watch?"

 

It was something JC had wrestled with for most of the pregnancy. Did he want to watch his child being born? Did he want to stay at Rachel's side and wait until he could cut the umbilical cord? If he watched would be pass out? The last thing he wanted to do was pass out and become the joke between all their friends.

 

"I..."

 

"Go JC." Rachel told her husband. Another contraction started and she clenched her eyes closed barely feeling the kiss JC pressed on her forehead.

 

JC stood next to the doctor and watched in awe as his baby was born. First the head covered in lots of dark hair. The doctor quickly suctioned the nose and mouth. Tears streamed down his cheeks as he stared down at the face of his beautiful baby. A few seconds later, with a cry from his wife, the baby's shoulders appeared. The baby slid into the doctor's waiting hands.

 

"It's a boy!" JC's grin was wide. He laughed through the tears. With a shaking hand he cut the umbilical cord under the watchful eye of a nurse. He watched as the baby was checked out and weighed. With trembling arms he accepted his six pound ten ounce son wrapped in a blanket. Walking back to the bed he placed the baby in his wife's waiting arms.

 

"Oh JC..." Rachel whispered. Her eyes were filled with tears. This time the emotion was different. She was full of happiness. What she felt now was worth the pain she had just gone through. "He's perfect."

 

JC sat on the side of her bed. One arm wrapped around his wife's shoulders. The other wrapped under the baby. His son. He was a father. Joey had been right. The birth of his child would fill him with one of the most incredible feelings that nothing would ever compare to.

 

"You have so many people waiting to meet you," Rachel whispered unable to tear her gaze away. "Is that why you chose today to make an appearance? You knew everyone was here. Heard all the fun we were having and didn't want to be left out."

 

"This is so incredible," JC ran his finger down the baby's cheek.

 

Rachel tilted her head up looking at JC. "I love you."

 

"I love you doesn't seem appropriate right now. What I'm feeling is so much more. I can't describe it..."

 

"Me too. But it's the only thing I got."

 

JC leaned down and kissed his wife with their baby snuggled between them. Life couldn't get any better.

 

And gave me a son



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story