The following day, JC and Nicole savored their slow awakening. Sergio had informed them that no new guests were expected until Saturday, allowing them to relish the comfort of their yurt. Bathed in the gentle morning sunlight streaming through the skylight, they nestled in each other's arms, reluctant to leave the embrace of the bed or each other. Their playful banter filled the air as they discussed their return to Los Angeles.

JC gazed down at Nicole, her head resting on his chest, and pulled her closer. "Have you ever been to Perch downtown?" he inquired softly. 

"No," she replied, her voice equally soft. "But I've heard the view is incredible." 

"I think I'll take you there for dinner when we get back-a proper date," he chuckled, his tone warm. "I want to remind you of the beauty of city lights and glamorous modern buildings before I lose you to nature permanently," he teased.

Nicole laughed. "Oh, and what if I prefer the wilderness to the glitz and glam?" 

"There are parks in the city," he offered. 

"Maybe I'll take you on a proper date-a hiking date in the Hollywood Hills. It's practically your backyard."

His mind drifted back to his time at Runyon Canyon the previous week, a memory that felt both distant and recent. So much had changed in such a short period of time. 

JC looked down at Nicole, a soft smile playing on his lips. "Isn't this what we're doing?" he laughed. "We camped in a tent and stayed in a yurt. I think I'm done with nature dates." JC grinned, his fingers tracing lazy patterns on her skin.

Though they could have lingered there forever, reality called them back. Reluctantly, they untangled themselves and began packing their belongings. As they prepared to leave, Angie and Charlotte approached him, eager to discuss his future music plans. JC, polite yet strategic, skillfully evaded their questions, guarding his privacy. Nicole observed the interaction, her amusement evident, appreciating JC's poise under pressure.

"Going to say goodbye to Sergio and get some coffees to go," Nicole called out to JC as he made a final trip from the yurt to the Jeep with their things. 

After ensuring everything was stowed, Nicole met him in the yurt for a final check that nothing was left behind. Just before they got to the car, Charlotte, accompanied by Angie, couldn't help but ask JC about Jen, having seen a picture of them together at a gala two weeks before. Panic flickered in JC's eyes, but Nicole remained unfazed. Ignoring the question entirely, he hurried Nicole to the car, hoping she wouldn't notice the tension in his voice.

 

On the road to Santa Fe, the final destination of their adventure, JC drove while a debate unfolded between them. The topic: whether it was better to fold or crumple toilet paper. JC advocated for folding, while Nicole was on Team Crumple.

"Folding allows you to be neat and precise." 

"Crumpling gives you more surface area to work with." 

"But you never know where the gaps are. A finger might not always be completely covered."

The conversation then shifted to wild theories about alien encounters and a futile attempt to find a route to Santa Fe through Roswell on Google Maps. But eventually, a comfortable silence settled over them. JC took Nicole's hand, intertwining their fingers and placing their hands in his lap. After a while, the phone's GPS announced their imminent arrival at Joel's parents' house.

"Do they know I'm coming with you?" JC asked suddenly, the weight of the situation sinking in. He had invited himself on this trip, but the reality of being brought "home" to meet Nicole's surrogate family had not fully registered until now.

"Yeah," Nicole replied calmly, trying to hide her nervous energy. 

"Okay," he said, after a beat, "give me the cliff notes. I want to be prepared. Who's who? There's Karen... and what's the birthday boy's name?" 

"Paul." She answered. "Karen and Paul are Joel's parents. Marty is Joel's brother, and his wife is Michelle. They have a daughter, Penelope. But you've met these people-they were all at my birthday party. And of course, you know Joel and Kaylee." 

"I know, but I didn't really meet them. Will they wonder who the hell I am?" 

"You're Josh, my friend."

"And we're staying at the house with all these people? Should I get a hotel?" 

"No. Karen would lose her shit if I tried to stay in a hotel." 

"I can get a hotel; it sounds like a full house." 

"Do you not want to come?" 

"What?" he asked.

"Because you don't have to. I mean, you can fly home or stay in a hotel. Your part of the trip can end here if you want."

"Do you want me to go?" he asked nervously.

"I guess I'm used to you at this point," Nicole joked, attempting to lighten the mood. The car ride had become too serious. JC's lack of response left her uneasy. "Josh, you can go or get a hotel. I'm okay with that. I know you don't really know any of these people. But also, I mean it when I say I'm used to you," she half-smiled. "And I like when you're around, so I'd prefer it if you stayed." Still no reply from JC. "But if you don't want to, I won't be upset or anything. I'll just maybe miss you a bit." She gently squeezed his hand, still locked with hers, resting in his lap.

"So, what about sleeping arrangements? I'm getting used to you too, especially when you're not wearing any clothes, and we're in bed together, and other things" JC said, also attempting to lighten the atmosphere. 

"Other things?" Nicole laughed out loud. 

"What? It's like those meet the parents movies. Is Paul going to threaten me with a gun if I don't make an honorable woman out of you? Will we have to stay in separate rooms? I don't know." 

"He uses a bow and arrow, Josh, remember? Honorable kills." 

"Not helping." 

"Honestly, I don't know. I hadn't thought about it. But 'other things' might not happen. The idea of banging it out in Paul and Karen's house just feels wrong." 

JC let out a nervous breath. "Well, at least I know Joel likes me," he said, trying to reassure himself.

 

****

 

Joel's parents' home felt more like a compound than a house. The adobe structure featured a main house in a shotgun style, boasting two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Flanking each side were additional standalone adobe structures, each equipped with two bedrooms with en suites, a kitchen, and a living/dining space. Together, these units formed a U-shaped perimeter around a drought-tolerant yard adorned with cacti. The yard also featured a fire pit on one side and an outdoor kitchen and dining area on the other. Every detail adhered to the standards of typical southwestern decor, with hues of browns, oranges, and turquoise.

Upon their arrival, they were warmly welcomed. Karen rushed out to meet their car, immediately pulling Nicole into a warm hug. "Nice to see you again, Josh. We met briefly at her birthday," Karen greeted. JC reached out to shake her hand, but she enveloped him in a warm embrace as well. 

Karen guided them into the main house, where Paul met them at the door. He shook JC's hand and hugged Nicole tightly, expressing his gratitude for her journey to celebrate him. Joel, too, greeted JC with a friendly handshake, his eyes filled with interest about the man who had captured Nicole's heart. Kaylee, however, regarded Nicole with her typical thinly veiled disdain. She had never approved of Nicole's close friendship with Joel, convinced that their bond was inappropriate.

A short time later, Marty, Michelle, and their daughter arrived, and the large group gathered around the dinner table. Throughout the evening, subtle conversations about the nature of JC and Nicole's relationship buzzed in the air, but were never directly addressed. As they enjoyed Karen's famous chili and cornbread, the topic of family emerged. Paul gushed about having his entire family under one roof again, making sure to include Nicole in the warm sentiments.

"You're like the daughter we never had," Paul smiled warmly.

"Sweetie, you've always been like a daughter to us, and you always will be," Karen added, her voice filled with genuine warmth.

Kaylee's eyes narrowed, her jealousy festering. She couldn't stand the thought of Nicole being the daughter that Paul and Karen had never had. They already had a daughter; Michelle was their daughter, and she would be soon as well. To Kaylee, it felt like an intrusion, a reminder of the bond Nicole shared with her soon-to-be husband.

After dinner, the discussion shifted to room arrangements. JC's worry was unnecessary; Marty and his family would take one side-house, while Nicole and JC, along with Joel and Kaylee, would take the other. Before they parted ways for the night, they made tentative plans for the next day. The party was scheduled for the evening, so the day was free. Joel and Marty made plans to golf, while Kaylee chose to stay with Michelle and her daughter. The mere thought of spending time with Nicole made her ill. JC and Nicole planned to explore the city near the historic plaza.

Nicole and JC followed Joel and Kaylee to their side of the house. Joel retrieved two beers from the fridge, handing one to JC. They sat at the small wooden dining table that connected the kitchen to the living area. Kaylee settled on Joel's lap, while JC took a seat across from them, and Nicole stretched out on the couch.

"So, Josh," Joel inquired, "how did Nicole persuade you into this, and what crazy antics did she make you partake in? Climbing a mountain?"

Kaylee rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath. "Babe," Joel whined, adjusting his fiancée on his lap. "Give it a rest; we just got here." 

Furious, Kaylee pushed away from him and left his lap. "You always take her side."

"There are no sides!" Nicole called, monotone, from her spot on the couch. Clearly, this conversation had been had before. 

Kaylee stormed out of the room, slamming the door to the bedroom she shared with Joel.

"You win Kaylee!" Nicole called out, her tone now sarcastic.  "I never had a chance against your beauty and grace," she added in the same manner.

"Nicole, don't provoke her," Joel chided before following after Kaylee.

Nicole rose from the couch, motioning for JC to join her in the bedroom. The week's travel had caught up with her, and she felt sleepy. She unpacked her clothes for the party, hanging them neatly in the closet before changing into her pajamas. JC eyed her playfully as she changed.

"Not here. Don't get any ideas," Nicole teased, smirking as she pulled on her pajamas.

As they settled into their room, Nicole turned to JC, her expression filled with a mix of gratitude and vulnerability. "I'm sorry about the awkwardness," she said, her voice soft. "Kaylee's never liked me."

"She's quite a character, that one," he confirmed, crawling into bed and holding the covers open for her.

"She's suspicious of everything," Nicole explained, crawling into bed next to him. "Suspicious of me and Joel. Why? Because we shared a room when we were 7 because my mom was on a bender, and I was homeless! She's suspicious of me and Matt; hell, she probably thinks Candace and I hooked up. And you being around-she's suspicious of that too! She hates it."

JC brushed a strand of hair from Nicole's face, his touch gentle. "It's okay," he murmured. "I can handle a little suspicion if it means being with you." 

Nicole smiled at his statement. The thought of him being with her warmed her. She reached up, switching off the light before nestling back into him.

"I can't believe Joel is going to marry her," JC said suddenly.

Nicole laughed quietly and quickly fell asleep.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: affair triangles otherwoman boyfriendjc postsync producerjc moodyjc friendswithbenefits cheaterjc