Author's Chapter Notes:

Mina goes on a date! What could go wrong? 

Chapter 9:


The next night Mina prepares for her date with Madison consulting via Facetime.


 “You sure that’s what you want to wear?”


“What’s wrong with this?” Mina asks about her outfit. She was going for casual- it was just a first date. She had settled on dark jeans, a white lace camisole, and her emerald green blazer. Madison never mentioned how tall Alex was so to be safe she paired it with her green flats. 


“Nothing… you look great!” 


Mina brushes her hair over her shoulders and applies her lipstick. She does a twirl for her best friend. 


“How’s this?” 


“You look beautiful! Hope it goes well. Call me after!” Madi tells her with a wink. Mina sticks her tongue out in reply and waves goodbye. With one last look in the mirror, she smiles 


“Here goes nothing.” She hated first dates, especially blind dates but she somehow felt that this one would go well. 


Mina arrives 15 minutes early at the Wellesbourne, a new restaurant that resembles a 19th-century pub. She’d heard many great things about it and was excited when Alex suggested it. She was always early but even more so now cause she was nervous. With a deep breath, she gets out of her car and walks to the door. Upon entering she notices a sandy-haired guy sitting at the bar. Not her usual type but he was cute. His navy short sleeve button down clung to his upper arms. He takes a sip of his drink and turns towards the door. Their eyes meet and he smiles. Mina finds herself forgetting her date and walks towards him. 


“Hi” he states as she reaches him. 


“Hi” she answers. He smiles at her again and she gets lost in his green eyes. 


“Sorry…” he begins “I’m meeting someone here and…” 


“A little nervous?”


“Yeah, blind date” 


“Me too” she mutters, still standing there. She pauses. “Alex?” she asks on a whim


“You must be Mina” his face brightens as he looks at her again. He finishes his drink and stands up. He towered over her. “Alex Crawford” he extends his hand


“Mina Morgan” she replies, shaking his hand. Tall and extremely attractive and a doctor? She whispers a silent thank you to Madison. Alex goes to speak to the hostess about their table. He walks back over with her and she shows them to a cozy booth towards the front of the restaurant. 


“This is nice,” Mina states awkwardly. 


“First time here actually, a friend recommended it” 


“Me too, first time here that is” she smiles at him. They continue to make small talk until their server takes their drink order. Alex orders another old fashioned and Mina asks for her usual white wine. “How do you know Madison?” she asks as their server heads to the bar. 


“She dated my friend Mike for awhile. I guess things didn’t work out with them but we kept in touch, as friends of course. She mentioned her friend was single and would I be interested… and here we are” 


“Friends have been setting you up for ages too?” 


“Yes,” he laughs. It was a great laugh. “Can’t anyone just be dedicated to their work?” 


Mina almost chokes on her water. Alex was her- in guy form. “I’ve been saying that for years! Madi said you were a doctor? What do you specialize in?” 


“I’m a pediatric oncologist over at Cedars. Been there about 10 years now. I did my residency there too after graduation”


“What made you decide on oncology?” 


“I’ve always had an interest in pediatrics but I discovered at Cedars that I really want to help kids beat cancer. They’re tougher than anyone I’ve ever met” 


Mina listens as he explains more when she sees him walk in. Josh. 


“Are you kidding me?” she mumbles


“Sorry?” Alex looks at her confused. Damn, she must have said that louder than she realized. Mina watches as the hostess leads Josh and his friend to a booth towards the back of the restaurant. 


“Sorry, sorry. Not you. Just saw a friend come in. Didn’t realize he’d uh be here” she apologizes. 


Alex looks around, spying someone at the back “You know Justin Timberlake?”


Mina knew the guy with Josh looked familiar. “Friend of a friend, well everyone knows him” she plays it cool. 


“He plays in our charity golf tournament every year.” 


“Will you excuse me a moment?” she asks.


“Sure” Alex replies. She wasn’t sure what she was going to do but found herself heading towards the booth where JC and Justin sat. She stops in front of the table. 


“Mina!” JC states surprisingly as he notices her standing there. 


“The infamous Mina?” Justin speaks up, turning towards her with a grin. JC sends him a glare and he quiets. 


“Josh, what are you doing here?” 


“Can’t I hang out with a friend or do I have to run it past you first?” he answers, his tone dripping with sarcasm


“Oh shut up! You know what I mean! Here. In this restaurant- of all the ones in LA?” 


“Justin invited me out. Wait, what are you doing here?”


“I’m on a date” 


“Oooh, a date” Justin jokes. Mina and JC both send him glares. “I’ll shut up,” he says, quieting again. 


“Yes a date, which happens to be going very well” she states


“Well don’t let me stop you” JC replies with a smirk. Mina lets out a huff and storms back off to her table. 

“What was that all about?” Justin asks once she’s gone


“Beats me” JC replies, watching her from across the restaurant. How did he end up in the same place as Mina- on a date. Damn Justin and his bright ideas- let's hang out at this new place. Of all the restaurants in LA, it had to be this one that Mina was at for her date. He sighs internally as their server approaches. 


“Everything alright?” Alex asks as Mina returns


“Fine. Just had to go say hi. Oh, look- the food's here” she changes the subject as their dinner arrives. 



“And JC was there?” Madison asks the next day as Mina gives her a date recap. The rest of the night had gone perfectly. 


“Yes! Of all the fucking restaurants in LA he just shows up to that one!” Mina shouts


“Wow talk about awkward” Madi laughs


“Awkward?”


“Cause of your feelings for each other” 


“Mads. I don’t have feelings for Josh, we’ve been over this! Besides Alex is very nice, we’re seeing each other again this weekend” 


“Things are moving pretty quickly! I’m so glad. I know y’all would be perfect!” Madison’s Georgia roots tended to show when she got excited. 


“I think so too! I know I used to doubt your matchmaking Mads but this one, I think he might be a keeper. He’s a 42-year-old, never been married doctor, with no baggage that is dedicated to his job? Perfection” Mina laughs as Sarah buzzes them about their next appointment. 

 

“You know who else is dedicated to their job?” Madison asks as Mina shoots her a “don’t even go there” look from across the conference table. Alex was the perfect distraction. Mina hoped that spending time getting to know him would get Josh out of her head. She still had his party to deal with but that was weeks away. 

Chapter End Notes:

The Wellsbourne is a real place in LA. Was it around in 2016? Who knows but it looks cool. 

https://www.thewellesbourne.com/



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync jc