Author's Chapter Notes:

A little cute extra. Inspired by Mary... had to get this idea out on paper! 

How Mina Met Josh

August 2016, Santa Monica, California

 

The box of photographs lay on its side, spilling out onto the coffee table. Mina searches through them looking for one in particular. She finds it and smiles wide. A little girl and boy sit proudly in a giant pile of leaves. She remembers being so happy in her new purple coat. The little boy smiles happily, despite the gap in his teeth. They couldn’t have been more than 5 years old. Mina laughs at the memory. She remembers it like it was yesterday… the day she met Josh for the first time. 

 

October 1981, Bowie Maryland

 

Fall was Mina’s favorite time of year. Her daddy would rake all the pretty leaves together in a pile and let her jump in them. Sometimes he would even toss her in to make her laugh. Mina lived in a nice house with a big backyard with her Mommy and Daddy. She kept asking for a brother or sister but she didn’t have one but they said maybe she could have a puppy if she was really good. She didn’t have many friends- just her mommy and daddy. There was a nice young couple that lived next door. They had a little girl named Heather but she was too small to play with Mina. From her spot in the front yard, she heard a car door slam next door. The young couple was walking up their drive with a little boy she had never seen before. The three of them disappeared into the house. 

 

One day Mina was outside in the backyard with her Daddy raking leaves and jumping into piles. She heard a noise and saw the little boy standing by the fence watching her jump in the leaves. She climbs out and walks over. He had brown hair like hers but bright blue eyes instead of her deep brown ones. 

 

“Hi” Mina says 

 

“Hi” he says back softly 

 

“I’ve never seen you around before”

 

“I just moved here”

 

“Oh. I’m Wilhemina, my daddy named me that but he and my mommy call me Mina”

 

“That’s a silly name. I’m gonna call you… Willie!” the boy announces proudly. They both laugh. 

 

“Willie, that’s a funny name. What’s your name?” 

 

“I’m Joshua but my mommy and daddy call me Josh” 

 

“I’m 5 years old” 

 

“I’m 5 too!”

 

“My mommy says you have a baby sister”

 

“Her name is Heather. She’s okay” Josh explains

 

“I don’t have any brothers or sisters but my mommy says I can get a puppy if I’m good”

 

“Cool!”

 

“Do you wanna be friends?” Mina asks

 

“I’d like that” Josh answers. Mina smiles. 

 

“Best friends, just the two of us” she tells him. “You wanna come jump in leaves with me?” 

 

“Josh- lunch” the nice lady next door calls out from the back porch. 

 

“I can’t. I have to go inside now. Maybe after lunch?” 

 

“Okay! Now that we’re friends- you can play in my treehouse my daddy is gonna build me!” Mina announces happily

 

“Cool! See you after lunch Willie” Josh says waving goodbye. 

 

“Bye Josh!” 

 

A friend! Mina knew they were gonna be inseparable. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

How cute are little JoshMina? 

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync jc