Author's Chapter Notes:

Gonna do my best to finally finish the tales of Joshmina! 

In the meantime... Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays :) 

 

Chapter 23: 


Once they land, everyone loads into a large black SUV to head to the ski resort. Mina sits quietly in the back with Madison as Justin sends a million texts to his personal assistant back home. 


“You sure you’re okay?” Madison whispers 


“Madi, I’m fine. If you ask me that one more time I’m gonna slap you” Mina jokes 


“You’re gonna have the whole cabin to yourselves…” 


“Trust me, I haven’t stopped thinking about that since before we left. I just… need more time” Mina eyes JC a few rows ahead of her. 


“Just do it! I’m surprised you haven’t already” 


“You know why! It’s complicated… I’ve been mad at him for so long but I have finally admitted to myself that I was wrong. We’ve spent so much time together recently and it’s so easy to see that he’s still my Josh” 


“Aww” Madison says loudly as Mina shushes her. JC turns in his seat and flashes a smile. Her heart flutters and she grins back. 


“Gina got us checked in” Justin calls to the others from his seat. 


A few moments later they pull up to the biggest “cabin” Mina had ever seen. Everyone climbs out of the SUV as a short man in a parka heads towards them. 


“Welcome, I’m Daniel, one of the hospitality managers. We are pleased to have you staying with us” he greets, shaking Justin’s hand. “The staff have prepared both your cabins for you, the refrigerators have been stocked and fires have been built in the main rooms. Would you like us to unload your luggage for you?”


“I think we can manage that, thanks” Justin answers, looking at the rest of the group. 


“Do not hesitate to let us know if you require anything further during your stay” Daniel adds. The driver had unloaded the bags from the car while Daniel welcomed them. Mina takes her suitcases from JC as he rolls them over to her. 


“Mr. Chasez staying in the secondary cabin?” Daniel asks as JC raises his hand in acknowledgement. “Wonderful, follow me…”


“Good luck” Madi mouths to Mina as she follows JC and Daniel. Off the main driveway to Justin’s cabin was a set of stairs leading down the snow covered hill. Reaching the bottom of the steps, a small wood cabin nestled within the trees came into view. 


“This is more my speed” Mina thinks to herself as they walk up the drive. 


JC speaks with Daniel as she walks through the door. Mina gasps as she looks around.A fire roared in the fireplace in the main room. A kitchenette with an island and some bar stools was off to the right. She could see why JC had picked it, it was small but cozy, the perfect size. A door to the bedroom, she assumed, stared back at her from the wall next to the fireplace. She sets her bags down and takes it all in. Wood panelling, everywhere. Very rustic but also reminded her of… 


“Meet your standards?” JC asks from behind her, pulling her from her thoughts


“It’s cute. All the wood reminds me of the...” 


“Treehouse?” he says, finishing her sentence


“Exactly” 


“I thought so too. Are you hungry or?” he asks, changing the subject rather quickly. 


“Not really” she replies, shivering a bit. JC walks over to the kitchen and starts opening cabinets. 


“There’s some cocoa… want some?” 


“Sure! I’m gonna get my suitcase…” 


“The bedroom is all yours, I’ll take the couch” JC reminds her as he pulls mugs from the cabinets. “Get settled and I’ll make us some cocoa” he adds


“Are you sure?” 


JC just grins in reply and busies himself with starting their hot chocolate. Mina wanders to the bedroom and slowly opens the door. The double sided fireplace came through from the other room, warming it. A huge bed took up the middle of the room, large white pillows and a thick plaid quilt covered it. Mina resisted the urge to run and jump on it. The ensuite bathroom was to the left, the glass stand up shower looked roomy. “Damn it Mina'' she mutters as she finds fluffy robes hanging from the door. She couldn’t wait to wrap herself up in one after a nice hot shower. Mina sets her suitcase on the trunk at the foot of the bed and unpacks her toiletries. 


As the warm water washes over her she considers all her options. Turning off the water, she dries off and wraps up in a fluffy robe and walks out to get her cocoa. Josh was sipping from a mug and watching TV on the couch as she emerged into the main room. 


“There you are, thought you got lost in there” he states 


“Had to wash off the plane” Mina replies, sitting down next to him. “This one mine?” 


“Yeah, sorry if its not hot anymore” 


“It’s okay. Room temp cocoa is fine” she laughs. 


“A shower sounds great actually. Mind if I?” he asks


“Go ahead” she answers, gesturing towards the bedroom. JC passes her the remote and heads into the bedroom. Mina hears the water turn on and thoughts of JC in the shower fill her head and she completely loses interest in whatever is on the television. She finishes her drink and takes both mugs back to the kitchen to try to distance herself. She busies herself washing their mugs and the rest of the dishes but her distraction plan only works for a few moments as the bedroom door opens. 


“Hey Willie… can you grab my bag for me” Josh calls. Mina walks back into the main room to see him standing in the doorway, towel around his waist, the water droplets from his hair falling onto his chest. 


“Uh...right your bag” Mina snaps out of it and looking around, spots the bag next to the front door. She takes the bag in question to him. 


“Thanks” he smiles and closes the door back. 


“Fuck. It’s gonna be a long weekend” she mutters, falling back onto the couch. 


Mina attempts to distract herself again with more random German television when Josh reppears clothed. She assumed he slept almost naked but it was winter… wait were those… flannel duck pajamas? Mina tries to hide a laugh. 


“Oh? These? My friend Autumn and her kids got them for me as a joke, jokes on them! They’re comfortable” JC smirks, sitting down next to her. That all too familiar silence fills the air. 

“Mina-Josh” they begin at the same time


“You go first,” he says. Ever the gentleman. 


“I was just gonna say… I’m exhausted, jet lag and all that besides lots of skiing to do tomorrow. Gotta hit the slopes early, fresh powder or whatever it is they say. I’m gonna call it a night. Do you need blankets or pillows? I think there’s some extras in this trunk in here” Mina points into the bedroom. JC nods in reply. She brings back a few spare quilts and a pillow from the bed. 


“Thanks Willie”


“Sure you’ll be alright out here?” 


“I’ll be fine. Fire might die out soon but I think I’ll be warm enough.” 


Mina nods and walks back to the bedroom as JC arranges his bed for the night. She stops and turns around. 


“What were you going to say?” 


“Nothing important. See you in the morning” JC answers, fluffing his pillow up. Mina moves further into the bedroom and stops again. 


“Josh” she calls. He turns, blanket in hand. 


“Yeah?” 


She pauses. Say something, do something, say anything. “Goodnight” Mina tells him. 


“Idiot” her inner voice yells. 


“Goodnight” he answers, getting settled. She smiles and closes the door. 

 

Hours later and Mina lies in bed awake. “Goodnight? Really? So stupid.” she scolds herself and she tries to get into a comfortable position but ends up staring at the door, looming large in the darkness. “It’s late, maybe he’s awake too… just talk to him… but what if you wake him up?” multiple thoughts flash through her mind. “Ugh it is hopeless” she flops back onto her back and stares at the ceiling. Counting sheep never worked, humming a song to herself never worked… at this point she would try anything. She starts counting bottles of beer on the wall in hopes of finally getting to sleep. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync jc