Chapter 24: 


The smell of coffee awakes Mina the next morning. She couldn’t remember what time she finally drifted to sleep but she was thankful she got a few hours in. She was honestly surprised Josh was even awake because he loved his sleep especially when he had time off. Mina glances at her phone on the bedside table. 7:00AM? Definitely early for Josh. She stretches and sets her feet on the floor. The touch of the cold floor on her bare feet sent her jumping back. She sets them back down and hurries to her suitcase to grab the fuzziest, warmest pair of socks she could find. Wrapping herself in the robe from the night before she heads to the kitchen to face the day and JC. 


“Morning!” he calls from his place at the kitchen island, sipping a steaming mug


“You are awfully chipper this morning… and that’s saying something. Usually I’m the morning person” she laughs 


“You’re on vacation. You deserve to relax so I let you sleep in a little and figured you might want some coffee when you wake up” 


“Thanks. Any food around here or did they conveniently only stock Justin’s fridge?” Mina asks


“Good question…” 


“I could make pancakes… I did promise you some if we ever had a sleepover like old times” 


“You did promise me pancakes but your mom’s pancakes… are you up to the challenge?” JC jokes


“It’s been awhile but let’s see what we have to work with” Mina states, opening the fridge and the cabinets. “Looks like I was right… no pancake ingredients here. We may have to venture up to Justin’s for food” she laughs. “But I won’t turn down some coffee first” she adds as her ringtone sounds from her robe pocket. 


“How did last night go? Did you jump his bones?” Madison’s voice asks


“Fine and no and good morning to you too Madison” she replies and JC raises an eyebrow. “Please tell me you have breakfast over there… I am starving” 


“We do. I was going to fix some here shortly... Want to help? Then we all get ready and hit the slopes after” Madi answers


“You are amazing! Seriously… Josh’s stomach is growling” Mina jokes. “Great… see you soon!” 


“Knowing Justin… there’s a variety of cereals available for us” JC laughs, placing his mug in the sink. 


“Who knows. I’m starving so I don’t care… I’m gonna go get dressed and then head up there. I’ll change in the bathroom, you can use the bedroom” 


“Okay… not that I haven’t seen most of it before” JC winks at her. 


“Trust me… a lot has changed” Mina shoots back with a grin, grabbing her clothes and closing the bathroom door. 


Mina finds Josh in the living room looking around. “Did you lose something?” 


“I can’t find my custom Nikes…”


“You were just wearing them last night. How did you lose them?” Mina laughs as he looks underneath the couch. 


“GOT EM!” JC shouts, standing up, his Nikes in hand. He sits down on the couch to put on his shoes. His shoes didn’t match but she knew he didn’t care, he had made quite a few questionable fashion choices in his day. 


He was wearing red ski pants and a thick navy cable knit turtleneck sweater and now rainbow shoes. How did someone make a turtleneck look that good? 


“Jeez Mina, rein it in” She yells at herself. She grabs her ski jacket from the hook by the front door and looks over at him as he stands up. “Are you all set? Hopefully they’ve got food left. I’m starving!” she states with a smile 


“Me too,” Josh replies, following her out the door. 


After the short trek back up the stairs to Justin’s, they arrive at his “cabin” and walk through the front door. Mina follows the smell of bacon into the kitchen to find Justin and Michael sitting at the table while Madison and Lance move around fixing breakfast. 


“Hey! Just in time, you can help” Madi states, pulling Mina over as JC takes a seat at the table next to Justin. 


“May not come close to my mom’s pancakes but breakfast is served” Mina announces, setting the tray of pancakes in the center of the table next to the scrambled eggs and bacon. 


“I’ll be the judge of that” Josh laughs, reaching for the pancakes. 



“Ready to hit the slopes” Lance asks everyone as breakfast ends. 


“I’m gonna be honest... I’m a little nervous. I really don’t have much ski experience” Mina states 


“There’s nothing to it!” Justin chimes in from his spot by the sink, washing dishes. 


“If skiing isn’t your strong suit, I can teach you to snowboard” JC offers


Mina laughs, almost choking on her coffee “You know how to snowboard?” 


“Sure! It’s like surfing but on snow”


“YOU know how to surf?” Madi inquires from the kitchen as Mina and Justin break out into laughter. 


“Wipeout doesn’t count C” Justin adds


“Hey man… I learned the basics!” Josh defends himself


“Whatever makes you happy, you keep thinking that!” Mina says, finishing her coffee. “But I trust you… you can teach me, snowboards do seem sturdier” she adds with a grin. 


Everyone grabs their coats and gear and piles into the SUV to head down to the lodge. 


“We should go tubing… or SLEDDING!” Justin says excitedly as they near the resort. Madison just giggles and pats his arm. 


“Sure babe” she tells him and his smile grows wider, the little kid in him excited. The SUV stops and the group unloads and JC pulls Mina aside. 


“What’s up? Everyone is heading to the lifts” she says


“If we are gonna board, we need equipment. Follow me” 


“Of course” Mina mutters to herself, following Josh to the equipment rental. They find the perfect boards and head out towards the lifts. JC stops short in a spot clear of people. 


“First, we practice and then we can take to the slopes” he explains, dropping his board to the ground


“Got it” she replies, setting her board down, mimicking JC’s actions. 


“Set your feet in the holders, but don’t lock them in… place them apart just so…” he squats down and takes her leg and helps her. “Good…” Josh continues the lesson and Mina’s heart flutters. He was too close but smelled amazing. Her heart flutters. Whenever he looked away she couldn’t help but stare. 


“I think you’ve got the hang of it” Josh states, looking over at her. Mina looks away quickly and focuses on her feet, pretending like she wasn’t just staring. 


JC could feel her looking at him, she looked away quickly but it was too late. He saw her. 


“And you move back and forth like this?” 


“Yeah. Ready to give it a shot?” 


“Let’s go!” she announces as they hike over to the lifts, passing Justin and Madi sledding down a small hill, laughing and smiling at each other. Mina smiles to herself, glad her best friend was happy. 


Mina really did have the hang of it! They cruise down the mountain, the icy wind hitting her in the face. On their third time down, however, things didn’t go quite so well. 


Mina picks up speed on her board and passes JC on her way down. He gives her a thumbs up as she goes by. She turns back to look at him and loses her footing and slams to the ground. Her nerves send a shock up her back and down her legs and her butt hits the ground. Even with the snow, the impact still hurts. She slides down the rest of the hill and falls onto her back at the bottom, completely out of breath. 


She lays there, staring at the sky. She hears a whoosh and glances over to see JC coming to a stop next to her. He unbuckles his feet and rushes to her. 


“Willie, are you okay? Are you hurt? Do I need to call a medic?” he asks, looking down at her


“I’m fine. Just a little bruised… mostly my dignity” she laughs, looking up at him. The look she gives him sends JC into a fit of laughter. 


“Okay” is all he says, trying to subside his laughter. “Let me help you up” he adds, moments later. He helps her unbuckle her shoes and picks up her board. 


“I think we can safely say… that this is the end of my snowboarding career”


“The winter olympic committee is safe” Josh adds with a grin, as they walk back towards the lodge. He notices her limping slightly.  “Are you sure you’re okay? We can head back to the cabin if you like?” 

“I’m fine. I just need to walk it off” Mina replies. JC slows his pace and keeps in step with her as they make their way to return their equipment. 


They find Lance and Michael inside, relaxing and drinking coffee 


“Taking a break?” JC asks 


“Yeah, we’re gonna go back out soon. Mina, are you okay?” Michael asks, as she holds her leg


“Yeah. I fell but I’m fine” she replies, taking a seat next to him. 


“We were thinking of heading back to the cabin. No more slope adventures for us today” Josh adds “Are Justin and Madi still out there?” 


“I think so” Lance replies “We’re gonna head back out. We will see you guys for dinner later?” he adds as JC nods yes in reply. He takes Lance’s vacated seat as Lance and Michael walk back outside. 


“Do you want to sit for a while or do you want to head back to the cabin?” JC asks after a few moments of quiet. 


“Calm down Nurse Chasez” Mina laughs “Let’s just sit for a little bit and I’ll let you know” she adds, propping her leg up on the table. 


JC grabs them both a bottle of water while Mina rests. “You were doing good before you fell,” he tells her. 


“Thanks but yeah competing in the Winter Games is not in my future” she replies, taking a sip of water. “I had fun though, thanks for inviting me” 


“You’re welcome” Josh smiles at her “Should we take the car back to the cabin or leave it for the others?” he asks 


Mina pauses to think and rubs her leg. “I can walk. My leg is fine, just a little bruised that’s all. Besides, the others have all that stuff to take back. Let’s leave the car for them” 


“Are you sure? I don’t need you being mad at me for 20 years for injuring you” Josh laughs, as Mina shoots him a glare. “Sorry poorly timed humor” he adds, helping her stand up. 


The walk doesn’t take much time. 20 minutes or so later they spot Justin’s cabin and the stairs leading to theirs. 


“How’s the leg?”

“Fine. I think walking helped” Mina replies. She turns to find Josh gone and everything eerily quiet. “Josh?” she calls out, looking around 


Suddenly a snowball smacks her right in the back. She turns back around to find Josh bent over laughing. “Oh you are so gonna pay for that!” she calls out, bending down to make a snowball of her own. 


She chases after him, getting him square in the back. Josh tosses one back at her and misses. Josh stops to reload and Mina takes the opportunity to sneak up behind him and toss a snowball down his jacket. He turns quickly and knocks her down to the ground, falling on top of her. 


“I win!” he grins. 


“Okay, okay you win” Mina agrees. His face moves inches from her and that familiar silence fills the air again. 


“Josh” Mina whispers, moments later. 


“Yes…” he moves closer


“You’re on my leg” Mina states. 


Josh jumps up and reaches down to help Mina up to her feet. “Are you okay? I’m so sorry!” 


“Josh… it’s fine. Let’s just get inside where it’s warm” she smiles, brushing off what snow she could. 


He follows Mina inside their cabin and they both hang up their coats. He shakes the snow from his hair, tossing it all over the floor. 


“Do you want some cocca?” Mina asks, removing her boots


“That sounds great, I’m freezing cause someone put a snowball down my neck” 


Mina grins as she walks toward the kitchen area and Josh heads to build a fire. 


“There- that should get this place warmed up” Josh calls, walking into the kitchen minutes later. He finds Mina sitting on the countertop, a mug of steaming cocca in her hand, one next to her. 


“Oh great, they had the kind with mini marshmallows!” he exclaimed with delight. Mina laughs as he picks up his mug and leans on the counter next to her. 


“I had fun today, thanks for inviting me” 


“I had fun too! Sorry I freaked out when you fell” 


“It’s okay. Thanks for caring, at least it wasn’t worse” 


Josh sets his mug down on the counter and turns to face Mina. 


She grabs him by the shirt and pulls him towards her. Her hands grab his hair as their lips meet, first softly and then more passionately. Josh moans as her fingers lock around his neck and he closes the small gap between them to deepen the kiss. Suddenly he pulls back and looks at her. 


“Not that I’m not enjoying this… but what about Alex?” Josh asks


“Alex who?” Mina grins as JC lifts her off the counter and sets her down in front of him. He wastes no time in kissing her again with fervor. 

 

“Bedroom” she mumbles as his lips move from hers to her neck. They move as one out of the kitchen towards the door. 

Chapter End Notes:

:) you're welcome 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync jc