Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you everyone for all the love and support thus far! Much more coming soon. I promise. 

Chapter 3:

 

“I think that will work great. We should give them a call and go over the plans and maybe set up a lunch meeting next week” Madison states.

She was sitting across from Mina in Mina’s office. It had been two weeks since the JC run in and Mina had filled Madison in on all the details. They hadn’t spoken of it since. Mondays were their busiest day, getting new accounts, dealing with issues from over the weekend, and meetings. 

 

“I’ll have Sarah set it up,” Mina replies. Sarah buzzes in before Mina can buzz her desk. 

 

“Mina, there’s a Mr. Scott here to see you” 

 

Mina looks across to Madison who shrugs her shoulders. Sarah knew new accounts always went through Rachel, one of the senior employees first and then Mina and Madison would assign the account. 

 

“New accounts always go through Rachel” Mina buzzes back

“I know. They asked for you specifically” Sarah answers. Mina and Madison both look at each other confused. 

 

“Okay. Um, send them in Sarah” Mina replies just as a knock comes at the door. It opens to reveal Sarah and a man just behind her. The man removes his sunglasses and Mina’s smile fades. JC. He was dressed simply in jeans, a navy bomber jacket over a white tee and a blue ball cap. 

 

Smart move using his middle name to fool her. 

 

“There’s a Mr. Scott here to see you Mina… do you want me to get Madison or?” 

 

“Already here” Madison speaks up. Sarah shows JC in. 

 

“Can I get you anything Mr. Scott… water, coffee?” Sarah asks

 

“He won’t be staying long. Thank you Sarah” Mina replies curtly. JC laughs as Sarah leaves and shuts the door. 

 

“Madison can you excuse us?” Mina adds


“She can stay,” JC states. 


“I think it's best I head out” Madi stands up and heads to the door. “Sorry” she mouths to Mina as she heads out. 


JC takes a seat across from Mina’s desk.


“What are you doing here Jace?” 


“Jace? That’s new.”


“Well you aren’t really Josh anymore, are you? Now answer the question… why are you here?” 


“I’m here as a client. I want to hire you” 


“I thought you weren’t interested in a birthday party”


“People change their minds and I changed my mind and according to Charlotte, you’re the best for the job”


“Okay,” Mina states. 


“But I have one condition,” JC replies. Mina rolls her eyes


“And that would be?” 


“When I say I want to hire you, I mean I want to hire you specifically”


“That’s not exactly how it works Jo...JC. You meet with Rachel who’s in charge of new accounts and then Madison and I assign you to a planner. We only deal with corporate accounts. I haven’t been a planner myself for quite some time”  


“As I said, according to Char… you’re the best!” 


“Madison really is amazing… she’d do great planning your birthday. Trust me!” Mina argues


“No one knows me better than you do Willie” 


Mina sighs at the mention of her nickname. He definitely knew how to get under her skin. 


“It’s been 20 years JC… you’re different, I’m different. I doubt you still have the same taste. Listen I have a lot of work to do and I’ve got to get back to it”


JC stands up quietly and starts to make his way to the door. 


“Let me think about it and I’ll get back to you,” Mina says unexpectedly, breaking the silence. She picks up a business card off her desk and scribbles a number across it.

“This is my cell phone… text me, I’m sure you have to change your number a lot. I’ll text you my decision” she adds. JC walks back over and takes the card from her and grins. She hated that stupid grin. She glares at him and he chuckles as he leaves her alone. 


No more than 5 minutes later- her phone chimes. A number she didn’t recognize flashes across her screen. She didn’t usually answer texts from people she didn’t know. A slight smile spreads across her face as she opens it. 


“Make a decision yet?” it reads. 


“I told you I had to think about it” she types back


“I know. I gave you 5 minutes” *winky face*


He was such a pain in the ass. Mina sets her phone aside and tries to go back to her work. She could feel her phone staring back at her. She checks her desk calendar. Her week was pretty free. 


“Fine. Dinner Thursday at 7. My place. I’ll give you my decision then. Now stop texting me. I have a lot of work to do” Mina answers. 


JC quickly checks his calendar on his phone. He had a songwriting session on Thursday but it was early enough he could make dinner. 


“I’ll be there. Can’t wait” he grins even though no one is around to see him.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync jc