Author's Chapter Notes:

Mina tells Josh about THE THING! 

PS to my Shady Ducks... I wrote that bit in the flashback scene BEFORE we watched that episode. Crazy that the same thing happened. Maybe that's why I had the  reaction I did LOL

 

Chapter 6: 

 

Mina sighs and tries to focus back on her laptop. Everything was slowly coming together for JC’s party which was great because they were a month out. Even better was she hadn’t had to see him in a while. He was busy so they just confirmed things over the phone. She just had to get this presentation done because he was coming by the office in the morning to see it. Mina downs the rest of her wine and pours more into her glass. “Focus Mina focus” she mutters to herself. She was contemplating taking a break when the doorbell rang. 

 

She peers at the time, it was after 9 and she wasn’t expecting anybody. Mina gets up from her spot on the floor and walks towards the door. 

 

 

“Josh! What are you doing here?” Mina asks in shock, finding JC on her doorstep. He was wearing his glasses which he didn’t do often but it made him hotter. The wine was definitely taking its effect. She leans against the door for support. 

 

“I was in the neighborhood. Thought I’d stop by” he smiles

 

“That’s bullshit. It’s Santa Monica, last I checked you lived in the hills” 

 

“Okay fine you caught me. Just thought maybe you’d want to hang out” 

 

“JC… it’s after 9, I have a lot of work to finish and…” she begins. She pauses, glancing up at him. “I guess I could use a break” she finishes, showing him in. 

 

JC takes in Mina standing before him. So she caught his bullshit lie, of course she did, he lived half an hour from her. He couldn’t just show up and say hey let’s be friends and hang out. It didn’t help anything that she opened the door wearing sweatpants that were hanging low on her hips and a long-sleeved, comfy top with her dark brown hair piled in a messy bun on top of her head. She looked beautiful. 

 

“Sorry about the mess” Mina apologizes, trying to organize the chaos on her coffee table. 

 

“It’s okay” he replies, taking a seat in the middle of her sectional. 

 

“I was finishing up the presentation for your party. I was making a few last-minute adjustments before our meeting in the morning. It's coming together really well. Did you want some wine? I only have white, hope that’s okay”  

 

JC nods and Mina carries another bottle and glass over to the couch. JC pours himself a glass and they sit drinking in silence. He glances down at the coffee table. It was entirely covered with what looked like invoices, sketches, random paperwork, two iPads, and a MacBook. She did work too hard. 

 

We used to be able to talk to each other, Mina thought. Now we just sit in silence and stare at each other. Madison’s words echo in her head. You really could cut the tension with a knife. 

 

“Were you watching something?” JC speaks up, noticing the paused screen on her tv. 

 

“Just FRIENDS, background noise. I can put on a movie or something” Mina replies

 

“FRIENDS is fine” JC replies as Mina resumes her episode. 

 

They sit in silence, sipping their wine, watching Friends. It was quiet but it was nice, just sitting together hanging out, Mina thought to herself.


A few episodes go by and they remain the same way, only breaking the silence with laughter when Chandler puts himself in a box. 


“I forgot to tell you that my family is coming into town for the party and they’re staying a few days” JC speaks up as the episode ends. 


“That’s great! I can’t wait to see them, it’s been ages” Mina smiles. She sets her glass down on the table and turns to face JC. 


“Sorry not sure why I said that. I won’t see them, it’s not like I’ll actually be at the party” she adds. 


“I thought you would be, you’re a friend after all and you’re putting everything together” he replies with a wide grin. Gosh, that smile made the butterflies in her stomach start fluttering.


Mina smiles in reply and sighs. 


“Everything okay?” JC asks


“Yes. I just think it’s time we talked” 


“About…” and then it dawns on him. The thing. “Oh,” he answers.

Mina reaches for her wine and downs her glass. She would need some extra courage for this. 


“When you left I was hurt and somewhat angry. You know I didn’t have many friends, occasionally I’d hang out with Robin and Erica but really the only friend I had was you. I know you said you’d come back to Bowie when the show wasn’t filming so I was looking forward to it. Well then you started appearing on the show a lot and of course, everyone at school watched and then you never came back. The second season you were on you had what they call a glow up” Mina laughs.

 

JC gives her a funny look and she continues


“You got hotter and all the girls wanted to be my friend even more because we were best friends. So I lied, said we talked all the time, that I was going to visit you in Florida and meet the cast but what they didn’t know was that you were too busy to answer my letters, I’d call and your mom said you were out with Nikki or playing basketball with Dale and Tony, rehearsing, the list goes on. I know we were young but you were the only close friend I had and you were gone and I felt forgotten.” 


“Wills…I didn’t realize…”


“I know you didn’t but that’s not... Remember when the show ended and you came home?”

 
“Yeah summer of 94... I think, right?” JC replies 


“I was so excited that summer. I was going to NYU but before I left for school, you were coming back to Bowie. Of course, you had lots of people to hang out with because you were practically the local celebrity but I guess I wasn’t one of those people…”


July 1994

Bowie, Maryland


Mina sat in her treehouse, staring out into the night. She wasn’t looking at anything particular, just staring into nothingness. She could see his bedroom from her spot, the light was on. 


Josh had come home. Mouse Club had ended and he was back in Bowie but he still had no time for her. Her mom had let it slip a few weeks ago that he was home. She waited like a fool, hoping he’d call or come by to hang out but nothing but silence. Mina spots her flashlight sitting on the milk crate bookcase. She was tempted to use their “signal” to get his attention but doubt it would work. She walks over to grab an old blanket that lay under the flashlight. 


She felt like such an idiot. Josh had been gone for about 3 months before she admitted it to herself and that’s why she was taking this all so hard. Mina was in love with her best friend and he didn’t even know she existed anymore. She fought back the tears. Soon she would be in New York and she’d make new friends and move on just like he had. 


“Willie?” a voice calls from outside the treehouse


Mina ignores him, fiddling with the blanket she was wrapped up in. It was cool for summer. She hears Josh’s footsteps on the ladder. 


“Hey Wills, can’t believe you still come up here” he calls from the doorway


“What do you want Josh?” 


“Your mom told me you were out here. Thought we could hang out” 


“You’ve been home for weeks and now you want to hang out with me?” 


“I know… I’m sorry… I should have…”  


“Should have what? Called me back, answered my letters? We were best friends, Josh, what happened?” Mina asks, wiping tears from her eyes. 


“I wish I could answer that but I can’t. I’m sorry Mina, things were just different in Florida. I met a great group of guys, we’re talking about heading out to California!” Josh replies excitedly. Mina ignores him once more. 


“So I hear you got into NYU, that’s pretty cool” he adds. He hunches down the best he can and comes to sit next to her. 


“Yeah… I leave in a few weeks” she mumbles


“Wills. I really am sorry. I missed you! Catch me up on everything” 


“You’re an idiot you know” she answers


“I admit it. I’m an idiot but you love me” Josh flashes his big smile. Mina wanted to be angry at him but that smile got her every time. She tries to hide a laugh. 


“I saw that! I knew you couldn’t be mad at me forever” Josh nudges her with his elbow. 


“I guess not. You’re still an idiot. You did miss quite a crazy senior year though…. Stephanie and Brittany R got into a huge fight at prom and Stephanie fell into the punch bowl!” 


JC doubles over with laughter “Those two still fighting over Kevin?” 


“Nope, this was over Brian L” Mina replies, as they laugh together “Apparently Stephanie was mad cause he asked Brittany to the dance the day after they broke up” 


“Wild!” 


“It was. I’m really glad you’re back…” Mina admits, looking over at Josh


“Me too” he answers as silence fills the air. Their eyes meet and Josh leans in, pulling Mina closer as their lips meet. 


“This can’t be happening,” Mina thought to herself. Josh is kissing me. This has to be a dream. She opens her eyes to find that it was all real. Her blanket drops off her shoulders as they fall back onto the beanbag chair behind them. 


Josh pulls back and looks down at Mina lying against the beanbag. She smiles up at him and he leans down to kiss her once more. Josh deepens the kiss, Mina’s tongue slips through his lips, her fingers reaching up to run through his floppy dark hair. Mina wasn’t sure when it happened but suddenly her shirt was gone and she was pushing Josh’s over his head. They were caught up in the moment and the next thing she knew Josh was easing inside of her. They lock eyes and she smiles up at him as she clutches his back, pulling him close to her. 


The sun shines through the window of the treehouse. Mina blinks and throws her hand in front of her face to block the light. Why was she in the treehouse? And then it all came rushing back to her. She had sex with Josh, last night, in the treehouse. She blushes remembering the touch of his lips on hers, on her neck, his fingers on her hips. Mina sits up and pulls the blanket over her, reaching for her bra. She turns to her left and finds the spot next to her empty. 


“Josh?” she calls out softly. No response. His clothes were gone and so was he. He probably just woke up and went home so his parents wouldn’t freak out that he was missing. Mina gathers her clothes and gets dressed quickly and hurries inside before her parents begin to think the same. 


After a few more hours of sleep, Mina hops in the shower. After getting dressed she heads downstairs for a quick breakfast. 


“Honey, where were you last night?” her mom asks as she enters the kitchen


“I, um, fell asleep in the treehouse by accident” 


“Mina, how many times have I told you not to do that?” 


“I know Mom! Listen gotta go. I’ll be back later” she calls, hurrying out the front door. Mina practically ran across the lawn to the Chasez’s. 


She smiles as Josh’s mom answers the door. 


“Hi, Ms. Karen… Is Josh home?” 


“Mina honey… he didn’t tell you? I thought he said he was going to stop by before he left” 


“Left?”


“He left for California this morning. He moved out there with his friends from Mouse Club. I thought you knew honey” Ms. Karen explains.

Mina vaguely remembers Josh mentioning it to her the night before but he never said when he was leaving. Did he leave because of her, because of what happened? 


She was the idiot now. 

Chapter End Notes:

But wait there's more! Chapter 7 coming soon 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: presync postsync jc