Hope blinked, thinking that maybe she’d had too much wine and was hallucinating. The blue eyes that were staring and studying her were familiar, yet their owner was a stranger to her.  The boy she’d known years ago was gone, replaced by someone who was all man.

He towered over her, most likely topping six feet by an inch or so.  His typically curly hair was cut short and darker than she remembered it.  Broad shoulders and chest tapered to a slim waist while muscled thighs were encased in a pair of well-worn jeans, his dark boots shiny in the dim light.

She swallowed hard, heart racing, her hands fidgeting at her sides.  He’d always made her nervous as a teenager and apparently this hadn’t changed now that they were adults.  His blue eyes never seemed to miss anything and as invisible as she’d made herself when she was younger, he’d still seen her then.  Just as he was seeing her now.

She flushed as she remembered that she was in pajamas, sans bra and she immediately crossed her arms over her chest protectively.  He frowned at her defensiveness.  The silence continued to stretch on.

“Are you guys going to have a staring contest all night?” a new voice questioned from behind Justin, shattering the connection between then.

Hope stepped to the side and noticed Alex Morrison, Justin’s childhood friend and the boyfriend of her real estate agent Aspen, standing on the stairs.  She smiled and gave a small wave.  He grinned back as he pulled out his phone and turned to head down the stairs.

“Glad you’re alive Hope.  If you don’t mind, I’m gonna head back to the bar before Aspen calls the national guard or files a missing person’s report on you,” he said as he began to descend, then looked back over his shoulder, “Check your phone, you’ve got a couple worried people trying to get in touch with you.”

Before she could say a word, he hustled down the stairs and was gone.  She chewed on her bottom lip as she turned back to Justin.  He’d shoved his hands into his pockets and was rocking back and forth on his feet like she was the one that made him nervous.

“Do you want to come in?” she hesitantly questioned.

“Are you okay?” he asked at the same time.

They smiled at each other.

“I might need more wine before I answer that question,” she said with a sad laugh as tears welled up in her eyes, “Come on, I’m hiding out.  I’ve got wine I can share if you don’t mind drinking out of the bottle with me.”

Hope suddenly found herself being crushed against a well-defined chest as muscular arms wrapped around her back.  The hug was unexpected and for a moment she froze.  But with everything that had happened that evening and all the emotions coursing through her, she immediately relaxed and wound her arms around his waist, returning the hug.

He smelled like woodsy pine trees mixed with a musk that was all his own.  Her heartrate picked up and when she laid her ear against his chest, she could hear his heart beating the same erratic beat as hers. He laid his chin on the top of her head and she sighed.

Why had she not realized that she’d been missing out on this – the basic touch of another human being?  Jacob was not an overly affectionate person, but he’d become even more distant in the last few months.  He’d hardly even held her hand anymore and sex had turned into a routine of once per week, on the same day, the same way every time.

She’d not realized just how stifled he’d made her feel…

“Evie sent me on a mission to find you because she was worried when you didn’t pick up your phone.  I kinda get the feeling that she wasn’t all that crazy this time with her worrying,” Justin finally said as he released her.

Hope sighed again as she stepped out of his embrace.  Of course her best friend had sent him.  She and Justin were practically strangers, hadn’t spoken or seen each other much in the last ten years, so it was stupid of her to think he’d been seeking her out on his own. 

“Come on, let’s go drink that wine you mentioned,” Justin stated as he closed and locked the door, pulling her deeper into the apartment.

“But…”

“We were friends once upon a time, Hope, and friends don’t abandon each other when they’re clearly having a bad day.  And besides, I’ve been dying to see the view from these windows since I was a kid,” he said, grinning, “So I still get something out of crashing your pity party.”

“I’m not having a pity party,” she huffed, punching him playfully in the arm.

The grin he sent her shot straight to her lady parts and she felt her nipples stand at attention.  She quickly crossed her arms back over her chest so he wouldn’t notice.  She highly doubted he’d appreciate it if she jumped his bones solely because she hadn’t had good sex in years.

Apparently the crush she’d had on him years ago hadn’t really gone away…

“Could’ve fooled me,” he returned before turning away and walking up to the four large arched windows, “Damn is that a good view.  If you don’t plan on living here, I may just have to beg you to rent the place to me.”

“I thought you lived in Chicago,” Hope said as she came to stand next to him.

“I do.  But I’m considering moving back,” he stated with a shrug at her questioning gaze, “It’s complicated.”

“Isn’t it always?” she asked with a wry smile.

They lapsed into silence, standing side by side, arms touching as they stared out the windows.

The snow continued to fall at a steady pace outside, the streetlights dimmer due to the large flakes.  There was already a good couple inches accumulating on the streets and sidewalks and if the weatherman was correct, they’d be left with about a foot of it by morning.  Main Street’s shops were now closed, and the sidewalks were deserted as it appeared everyone was taking shelter from the weather.

She wondered how Justin was expecting to get home in this.  If he left now, he’d probably avoid getting snowed in with her.  Especially considering all she had with her was a few bottles of wine, some junk food and a couple frozen breakfast burritos.  She was literally just crashing out here until she figured out what to do next.

Maybe she would move in here.

They’d sold her grandma’s house about six months ago when she’d told her parents she was planning to continue living at Jacob’s house.  Keeping another house and leaving it empty hadn’t made much sense.  Besides, the home had needed some TLC and updating, things that she’d had no interest in at the time.   And it must have needed more work than she thought for it was still in the process of being renovated.

By Justin’s dad’s company no less.  She peeked at him out of the corner of her eye as the silence between them continued.  He seemed lost in his own thoughts as he stared out at the swirling snow.

The ding of his phone broke the silence and he quickly grabbed it out of his back pocket.

“I’m guessing you should probably let my sister know you’re not dead,” he said with a laugh after looking at the screen, “She says if I don’t find you then she’s going to go steal Jax Stone’s snowmobile and round up a search party.”

“Sounds about right,” Hope responded, grinning, “And it must be pretty serious since she and Jax hate each other.”

“Something I need to know about?” Justin asked as he turned to face her.

“No, just your sister being your sister like usual,” she retorted with a roll of her eyes, “The two of them have been at each other’s throats for the last six months over the dumbest shit when all they really need is to do is admit they like each other and go have some crazy monkey sex.”

Hope immediately clapped a hand over her mouth, her cheeks turning red. But Justin merely threw his head back and started laughing.  The sound washed over her, sending tingles down her spine.  She clenched her hands to her sides, ignoring the urge to grab him and pull him in for a kiss.

“I know it’s your sister…”

“And she’s a grown ass adult.  Besides, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a little monkey sex,” he huskily responded as his eyes dipped down from her face.

With a start, she realized her nipples were again standing at attention and because she was still without a bra, he’d taken note.  Her cheeks flamed again.  With a muttered excuse about needing to pee, she quickly grabbed her phone and fled to the bathroom.

His deep chuckle followed after her.

Hope closed the bathroom door and leaned against it, her heart racing.  What was she thinking talking about sex like that?  And around the guy who’d starred in her fantasies more times than she could count.  She was an idiot.

The phone buzzed in her hand, exactly the distraction she was looking for.

Eve: You’re worrying me Hope.  Please tell me you’re not dead somewhere! I’m about to go steal he who shall not be named’s snowmobile and start searching for your frozen ass.

Hope: Not dead.  Just hiding.  Stop freaking out.

Eve: Where? Did my brother find you?  Do I need to come get you?  What the hell is going on?!?  You’ve been radio silent for hours!!

Hope: Found out Jacob’s been cheating on me.  I’m not ready to be around anyone.

Eve: That motherfucker!  Can I pleeeeeease go kick his ass?

Hope: Nobody is kicking anyone’s ass.  We’re almost 30!

Eve: Doesn’t mean I can’t still throw a mean right hook.  And you know he deserves it.

Hope: Yeah, I guess.

Eve: Dude, are you moping?  You know you’re too good for him.  This just proves he’s more of a moron than I thought.

Hope: Please don’t start on the I told you so’s.  I don’t have enough wine for that.

Eve: I can always bring you more...  And besides, you shouldn’t be drinking alone!  Drinking someone away is so much better when you’ve got company.

Hope: Well I’m not alone thanks to you.

Eve: Wait, is Justin there?  He never responded to my last text.

Hope: Yes, he’s here.  You never told me that he was in town.

Eve: He just showed up out of the blue.  Wasn’t supposed to be here for another three weeks.  But why does it matter?  It’s not like you do much besides say hello….

Hope: Do I need to remind you that we’re talking about YOUR brother?

Eve: And you want to bang the shit out of him.  I’m not blind!

Hope’s mouth fell open at her friend’s last text.  Was she that obvious with her crush on Justin?  She’d thought that it had faded as she grew older, especially as she saw less and less of him as the years went by.  And as far as she was aware, Eve was oblivious to Hope’s feelings for her brother.

Besides, they were friends first and foremost and she’d never risk that just because she thought Justin was hot.

Hope: You knew?!?

Eve: Of course I knew!  You may think I was too wrapped up in sneaking out and boys when we were growing up, but you’re my best friend and he’s my brother.  There’s always been sparks between you two.  Figured one of you would’ve acted on it before now though.

Hope: There’s no sparks.  Just me having a stupid crush on him which I've outgrown.

Eve: Bullshit.  As soon as you got boobs Justin couldn’t keep his eyes off you.  I may be a few years younger than him, but I still noticed.  And you were over like every day when we were growing up.

Hope: Pretty sure you were just seeing things.

Eve: Dude, you wanna bet?  20 bucks says if you stop hiding in the bathroom and be the badass I know you are, you and my brother will both be having a much better night.

Hope: Eve!!!

Eve: What?  You know I’m right!  You’re my best friend and he’s my brother, I want you both to be happy.  And if it’s together, I’m certainly not going to judge!

Hope: Stop trying to play matchmaker.  I just got out of a relationship like 5 hours ago.  And he lives in Chicago.

Eve: Then ask him what he’s doing here three weeks early!

Eve: But now that I know you’re alive, I’m gonna leave you alone so my brother doesn’t think you’re taking a massive dump while hiding in the bathroom.

Hope: OMG, you’re ridiculous

Eve: But you love me all the same.  I’ll call you tomorrow so we can talk.  Bye girl.

Hope sighed as she moved away from the door and splashed some water on her overheated cheeks.  The conversation with Eve had her mind racing.  There was no way that Justin looked at her as more than a little sister…  He’d been a senior when she was a sophomore in high school; had been popular, athletic and incredibly handsome while she was a shy teen not fully confident in herself.

He’d left Eversfeld soon after graduation and life had gone on.

Well she wasn’t about to make things weird just because of something Eve thought she’d seen years ago.  She was an adult who’d had a shitty day and was going to casually drink some wine with an old friend.  Not sex him up.

A knock on the bathroom door startled her out of her thoughts.

“Hope?  Are you okay in there?” Justin called.

“Fine!” she replied as she dried her damp cheeks on her shirt.

She opened the door and he stood there, towering over her much shorter frame.  Immediately she was wrapped up in his woodsy scent again and her heart began to race.  Her traitorous body wanted very much to be closer to his and she inadvertently took a step forward.

“Eve told me to make sure that you’re okay and not planning on jumping off a building or something,” he explained, his eyes shining with concern.

“Ugh, she’s such a pain in the ass.  And she’s being dramatic.  I’m not gonna jump off a building just because I got cheated on,” Hope retorted as she quickly brushed past him and headed back to the living room.

“Hope…”

Wine.  She needed wine.  And for this day to just end already.

She stalked to the counter and grabbed the open bottle she’d left there.  After taking a healthy swig of the oaky red liquid, she walked back over to the windows, wrapping her arms around her middle and hugging tight.  The snow was still swirling, the wind now howling, much like her heart was doing.

In the reflection of the windows, she watched Justin walk up behind her.  He went to reach for her, then thought better and shoved his hands in his pockets.  She would’ve taken another hug but of course he must think she was such an utter disaster right now.  He was right to keep the distance between them.

“Well he’s definitely a complete idiot,” Justin finally stated into the quiet that filled the room, “I’m so sorry Hope.”

Tears welled up again and she angrily wiped away one that trickled down her cheek.  She’d cried enough tears today to last for the rest of her life.  She was more upset and angrier at herself for missing all the red flags Jacob had been throwing up in the past few months.  But like a fool she’d just kept going through the motions every day as if everything was perfect.

“It’s just a shitty thing to find out.  And now it feels like I did something wrong or maybe that I’m just not enough,” she softly responded, staring at the floor.

Why would it not just open up and swallow her whole?

“That’s bullshit,” Justin angrily retorted as he stalked over, grabbed her chin and forced her to look him in the eye, “Nobody should ever make you feel like you’re not good enough.  I see you Hope.  I may not be around all the time, but every time I see you, you shine.  You’re caring and kind.  You spend time listening to others and helping them out whenever you can.  Any guy that can’t see that and know your worth clearly doesn’t deserve you.”

With that, his lips crashed over hers.  The kiss was not gentle; it was hot, demanding and so full of want and need that Hope felt it all the way down to her toes.  With a breathy moan, she opened her mouth and allowed him entrance.  His tongue delved inside as his hands gently cradled her face, keeping her locked in place.

She grabbed his shirt and pulled him closer, wanting to feel more.  More connection.  More heat.  And more of his body pressed up against hers.  The passion that had been missing in her life for the past few years was exploding between them.

He wrapped his arms around her back and pulled her flush with his body.  She could feel the bulge in his jeans against her belly and she sucked in a breath of surprise.  He broke the kiss but continued to nuzzle along her jawline and down her neck, his breath coming in raspy bursts.

“Damn it Hope, I wasn’t supposed to kiss you,” he mumbled into her ear.

“Why not?” she asked, her heart pounding as she pulled back to look at him, “What’s wrong with me?”

“Sweetheart, there’s nothing wrong with you.”

“Then why…”

“Hope, you’re Eve’s best friend.  I forced myself to keep my distance when were kids because you were younger and I didn’t want to fuck up the friendship you and my sister have,” he explained as he let her go and ran agitated hands through his short hair, “Then I moved away and it was easy to put you into my past.  But now I don’t think that I’m going back to Chicago.  And I can’t promise that I can stay away or keep my hands to myself.”

“Well I never said I wanted you to,” Hope retorted.

“What…”

With a huff, she pushed out of his embrace and walked over to grab the bottle of wine.  She took a swig of it before walking back towards him, holding it out.  He quickly grabbed it and tipped it back for a long pull.

“I never wanted you to keep your distance when we were kids,” she began, then smiled when he almost spit the wine out in surprise.

“You didn’t?”

“No!  I can’t believe you never noticed that I had the biggest crush on you when we were teenagers.  But I was too shy to say anything.  And you were Eve’s older brother, so I didn’t want to make things weird if you only thought of me as a little sister,” she explained.

“Little sister?  How could you think I saw you like that?” he asked, his eyes raking her from head to toe; she flushed.

“I was sixteen,” she reminded him, “And I also thought Eve would kill me if I told her I wanted to date you.”

“She probably wouldn’t have even noticed.  She was a bit boy crazy at the time,” Justin said with a laugh.

“No, she would’ve.  She was just texting me that she’s surprised we haven’t gotten together sooner.  Or at least had some crazy hot sex,” Hope said.

This time Justin choked on his wine.  Hope broke into a laugh as she slapped him on the back a few times.  As soon as he was back in control of his breathing, he turned intense blue eyes in her direction, and she squirmed under the scrutiny.

“Don’t worry, I’m not going take advantage of you,” she teased.

“Damn, what’s a guy gotta do to change your mind?” he questioned, grinning.

“Maybe some more wine?  And how about some input on what to do with this place?” Hope replied, waving her hand around the apartment as she steered the conversation back to safer ground, “I’m thinking of moving in since I’m currently homeless.”

As much as his kiss had rocked her foundations, Hope knew the last thing she needed was to have a rebound with the one guy from her youth that she’d never forgotten about.

“What the hell, did he kick you out?” Justin demanded, frowning.

“Oh gosh no.  I left,” Hope explained, smiling, “It’s his house anyway so I’m not exactly sad about it.  But I need somewhere to live.”

“Well I think we can…”

He was interrupted by the ring of her cell and she quickly fished it out of her pocket.  With a groan she noted Jacob’s name on the caller ID.  She was not in the mood to deal with whatever bullshit he was going to throw at her.

“That him?” Justin casually questioned, noticing the annoyed look on her face.

“Yeah…”

He quickly grabbed the phone out of her hand and pushed accept.

“Hope’s phone, Justin speaking,” he said as he put the call on speakerphone.

“Who the hell is this?” Hope heard Jacob demand, “Why do you have Hope’s phone?  Where is she?”

“Hope’s a little bit busy right now and can’t be bothered with assholes who can’t see what’s right in front of them,” Justin casually stated.

“But..”

“Oh and just as a little heads up, she’ll be coming by in the next few days to get all her things out of your place,” he continued, “I hope that you decide to make yourself scarce on the day that happens.”

“Now wait a minute…”

But Justin hung up the phone before Jacob could get another word in.  He looked warily in Hope’s direction, wondering if he’d overstepped some boundaries he shouldn’t have.  But she smiled easily at him and motioned at him to follow her into the kitchen.

“Popcorn to go with the wine?” she asked as she grabbed a bag of microwavable popcorn out of her bag of junk food, “And then you can pretend to like the Hallmark Christmas movie I was watching on my phone.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” he agreed.

“Hey Justin…I, well, I’m glad you’re here,” she whispered.

“Me too,” he agreed as he casually bumped his shoulder into hers, “Maybe tomorrow we can talk shop about the apartment.  I may have a few ideas that you might like.”

“I’d like that.”

“And since I’ve known you so long, I won’t even charge you,” he teased.

“Asshole,” she grumbled, shoving him away as she strode back into the living room, popcorn bag in hand.

He grinned, following her and settling onto the blankets spread on the floor after kicking out of his shoes.  Hope resumed the movie she’d started on her phone as they passed the bottle of wine between them.  The snowstorm continued to rage outside the four arched windows, but they paid it no mind.

They’d deal with the snow and everything else in the morning.

 


Incomplete
ComplicateMe is the author of 8 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story