Hannah smiled to herself as she laid cuddled up to JC in his bed.They were enjoying a lazy Sunday morning. Their favorite kind. JC had a book in hand and Hannah was perusing morning papers, while they both enjoyed hot coffee and breakfast in bed- which was really just pop-tarts.


Hannah moved her feet closer to him, unable to get them as warm as she wanted them to be.


“DUDE...What are you doing?” he laughed. 


“I’m cold,” Hannah laughed back. 


JC shook his head, smile stuck on his face. “Go get socks…”


Hannah smirked, not complaining. He had a robust sock collection, and loved how warm they always felt on her smaller feet. She got out of bed and made her way to the drawer, selecting a fuzzy pair of crew socks that looked like they had never been worn. As she lifted them, something in the back corner of the drawer caught her eye.


A small black velvet box. Running her hand over it quickly, she looked back at him, only to find him too engrossed in his book to be paying attention. With careful fingers, she flipped the box open, revealing a pear-shaped diamond ring with a pave band. Hannah’s breath caught in her throat. 


“You find a pair?” he asked, eyes not leaving the book. 


“What? Uh, yeah…” Hannah covered, flipping the box shut and pulling the socks out quickly. She pulled them on her feet and made her way back to the bed, blushing at her discovery. 

Crawling back next to him, she perched on his leg, stretching up to kiss his cheek, down his jawline to his neck.


Pausing his reading, he grinned as he looked to her. “What’s that for?”


“Nothing just...you…” she beamed. 


He gave her a suspicious look before kissing her quickly. “Um. Okaayyy…” 


Hannah smiled up at him again before grabbing her coffee to take a sip.


“I’m gonna take a shower,” he smirked at her ‘Wanna join me?”


Hannah’s mind went to the box in the drawer. “Um...sure...Gimme a minute, though. Just wanna finish this article.” she bluffed.


He smiled softly at her, kissing the top of her head before pulling the comforter off to get up. “K…”



Bathroom door closed, Hannah snuck out of bed to hurry to the drawer. Carefully opening it, she opened the box again, noticing a folded up piece of paper sticking out from the bottom. Pulling it out carefully, she unfolded it and her eyes went wide. 


“Transaction Date: February 11th, 2010”


Hannah stared at the date in confusion. Over a year ago. He had bought the ring over a year ago. Was it not what she thought it was? Was it not for her? She had no suspicion he was cheating on her, but why would he have kept it in a drawer for an entire year? Mind reeling, she carefully tucked the receipt back into the bottom of the box and closed it, returning it to where she had found it. Maybe on her birthday? Maybe he’d ask on her birthday?


She swallowed the lump in her throat, trying not to think the worst. Taking a deep breath, she closed the drawer, making her way to the bathroom.


*****


Hannah grinned to herself, stirring awake at the sound of a soft voice singing. 


“Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you..Happy birthday dear Annie…”


She opened her eyes and rolled over to JC perched on the edge of the bed.


“Morning, birthday girl…” he chirped.


She sized him up, a chuckle finding her half asleep senses “Why do you look like you are about to rob a bank?” He was decked out in sweatpants, a hoodie, dark sunglasses, and a baseball hat pulled low. 


JC grinned and reached for a paper cup “Soy, extra shot, 3 pumps of pumpkin”


Hannah’s eyes went wide. “You got this yourself?”


He nodded, biting his bottom lip.


“Awww...You risked your life for pumpkin spice? For me??” she teased. 


“Shut up…” he laughed, shaking his head. He leaned over to kiss her. 


“Thank you.” 


“The day is yours, Hannah...except...for dinner…”


“Dinner?”


“Mmmhmm.” He handed her a bag, and she immediately recognized the branding. 


“What did you do?” she stared at him.


“Nothing...much..” he smiled.


Shaking her head, she dug into the bag, pulling out a buttery soft mid-length dress with flutter sleeves.


“Jace…” she looked at him. 


“You like it? Is it the right size?”


She giggled “You, sir, are a BRAVE man...but...Yes and yes. I love it…”


“Good,” he smiled “Thought we could try a real date tonight...get a little fancy?”


“Is this cuz I’m old now?”


Jc chuckled “Yep. Gotta get out while we still can...Ya know before the walker…” he teased.


“Dick…” she laughed, throwing a pillow at him. 


He laughed, catching the pillow before crawling next to her. “I mean it, though, wear the dress, don’t wear the dress, but I want tonight to be special.” He stared at her with crystal eyes and Hannah’s heart began to race. 


Oh my God. This was it! Was this it? Was she right? He had never bought her clothes before. He HAD to have something big planned.

**

Hannah took another sip of her wine as their waiter arrived with a silver tray and a smile.  Dinner had been AMAZING. Jc had arranged a private dining at one of the most exclusive restaurants in Los Angeles. Not usually his speed, but he seemed to be going big tonight, including a $130 bottle of a delicious, seasonal Barbera red wine. 


Hannah grinned, stuffed from the caviar, oysters, and truffled pasta carbonara she had just enjoyed. 


“What did you do? “ she smirked at him. 


He shrugged, his eyes playful “Spoiling you a little, Hannah…”


The waiter laid down the tray to reveal a perfectly presented chocolate souffle with creme fraiche and vanilla gelato. On the plate, in perfect script, was written “Happy Birthday, Annie <3” 


As she grabbed a spoon, another waiter came along with a chilled bucket containing a bottle of Dom Perignon. Hannah’s eyes went wide. 


“Are you wining and dining me, Jace…” she teased.


He bit his lip “Obviously…” He reached out to grab her hand, rubbing it with his thumb “Happy Birthday, Mama…”


Hannah’s heart was thumping in her chest. Was it in the dessert? That would be SO cheesy, but she had to admit this moment felt like she was in a movie. She dug a spoon into the souffle, trying to be subtle about pushing around for anything hidden in it. 


“...Something wrong?” JC was looking at her concerned. 


“What? Oh uh...No..” Hannah answered, taking a quick bite, rolling the chocolate around in her mouth just in case. The flavor immediately distracted her. 


“OHMYGODJACE…” she mumbled, eyes rolling back a bit. 


JC laughed, his eyes crinkling “Damn, that good? Do I have to be jealous of cake?”


Hannah covered her mouth, laughing. She held out a bite and he slowly took it, pulling away slowly with his lips.


“MMMMYEAHOK” he mumbled back. “If you need to be alone with that I totally understand,” he joked. 


Hannah grinned at him, studying his face. He was looking at her with the excitement of a child. She all but expected a puffed out chest. He was thoroughly enjoying pampering her and watching her enjoy every bite and every sip. He heart softened as she sighed.


“This is all incredible, Jace. Thank you.” 


His lips twitched into a smile. “Well...I’ve uh...I’ve never been with anyone like you, Hannah. I’ve never been this happy. God...that’s cheesy…” he shook his head.


Hannah giggled “Me too, Jace. You caught me. I can’t help it.”


JC nodded, pouring them both a glass of champagne. Holding up his glass, he toasted.


“No more broken hearts club?”


Hannah smirked “Something like that.”


They clinked glasses and Hannah held her breath...for a moment that never came. 




Arriving back at his house, JC kissed her deeply as they entered the bedroom. Hands to her waist, she stopped his roaming. 


“Mmm….Can we...You overfed me. Call it a night?” she smiled up at him.


JC pulled away slightly, a little confused. ‘Uh..Yeah...Yeah ok.”


She kissed him quickly before staring at him “Tonight was perfect. I’ll be here in the morning…” she smirked at him.


He grinned as he kissed her back quickly “Ok. Sweet dreams, birthday girl.”


Making themselves more comfortable, they peeled off their evening wear, cuddling up under the covers. Waiting for JC to fall asleep, Hannah let silent tears fall as she drifted off.


*****

JC rejoined Hannah on the dance floor, wrapping his arms over her shoulders as he handed her another cocktail. Lips to her neck, he waited for her to grab her drink before letting his hand fall to her hip. Hannah giggled as she turned to face him. 


“You’re cut off…” she teased.


He silenced her with a kiss before replying, a grin across his face “Ok...Wanna get out of here, then?”


Hannah giggled “Down, boy...Gotta make it to midnight…”


JC fake pouted. “FINE…”


Hannah laughed at him, moving to the music. Another Eric party wasn’t her ideal way to ring in the New Year, but he hadn’t left her side, and she was looking forward to catching up with Jade, who had been crazy busy since her show had been picked up for yet another season. Her dream had come true, and she was a star. Morning talk shows,magazines, and Emmy awards: Jade was part of it all now. It was well deserved and Hannah was thrilled for her, but she missed her best friend. They texted and made time for phone calls, but this would be the first time she had actually seen her in three months. JC casually grooved along with her before a voice caught their attention. 


“HANNAHHH!!” a female voice called, both of them snapping their heads in its direction. 


“OH MY GOD!” Hannah kind of squealed, causing JC to laugh as he trailed behind her.


Hannah made her way over to Jade, crushing her in a hug. “Ahhhh I misssss youuu…” Jade purred. 


She pulled Hannah over to an empty table and turned to JC as Hannah sat. 


“Hey you! Damn...Clean cut and everything huh? Nice work, girl…” she glanced at Hannah as she hugged JC.


JC chuckled as her hugged her back “Nice to see you too, Jade. Ya know...Not on a tv, I mean…”


Jade giggled as JC joined Hannah at the table. 


Hannah smiled. “SO, Long lost best friend...Catch me up! Obviously the show is..AMAZING, but what else? How’s Aaron? That going well?”


“OKAY. Sooooo…” Jade shimmied a little as she teased her next statement. “I actually wanted to tell you in person…” She held out her left hand, a round-cut diamond immediately catching the overhead lighting. Her face was stuck in a wide grin. 


Hannah felt her chest tighten, forcing herself to speak “OH MY GOD,” she shouted, grabbing her friend’s hand. “JADE..Wow...wow...Congratulations! When did this happen?” she forced the smile onto her face. 


Jade beamed “Christmas Eve. With his family. Can you believe it?!”


“I...This is amazing!” Hannah managed. “I’m so happy for you, girl!”


“Nice little rock, too…’ JC observed. “Congratulations.”


“Thank you…” Jade gestured. 


Hannah looked to JC, swallowing as she took a sip of her drink.


“SO...Obviously...Hannah...I want you to be my maid of honor...Please?”


Hannah smiled softly “Um...Yes! Of course. I’d be honored.”


“We haven’t set a date yet, though. Hell, you two will probably get there before we do,” she teased. 


Hannah’s eyes went wide, staring at her friend in warning. She had mentioned the ring to Jade on their last phone call, but Thanksgiving and Christmas had gone by without incident. Jade caught her meaning and caught herself in a breath. 


“I mean...You know how long I take to plan things sometimes…” She rolled her eyes in a cover-up.


Hannah laughed, forced, but apparently enough to convince JC “Sometime before we’re 40, please?” she joked. 


“Oh shut up!” Jade laughed. 


They caught up for a few more minutes, the rest of the conversation being far less awkward, but truthfully, Hannah felt the room closing in on her. She was genuinely happy for her friend, and Aaron was a great guy, but they had only been dating for 8 months. 8 months. Yet he had had time to make up his mind, buy a ring, and actually proposed. 


Jade excused herself to make the rounds, and Hannah took a breath. 


“I um...I need to use the restroom,” she smiled weakly at JC, getting up in a hurry to head toward the hall. She gulped in the new air as she closed her eyes


Opening them and sensing someone else near her, she turned to find JC standing there. 


“Annie?” he questioned, a look of concern on his face. “Are you ok?”


“You followed me?”


JC nodded. “I think I know by now when you’re upset. What’s wrong/” he asked as he stepped closer to her. 


Hannah sighed. “Nothing, Jace...It’s nothing.”


“It’s definitely something, Hannah...You don’t like Aaron?”


“No I...Aaron is great. They’ll be ...really happy. Jade deserves to be happy.”


“...Then what is it?”


Hannah felt her eyes start to sting. “They’ve been dating for less than a year…”


JC studied her “I mean, yeah...I guess that’s kind of quick.”


Hannah nodded “Yeah…” she looked down as realization hit JC.


“Shit...Annie…” he started.


“I found the ring, JC…” she looked back up at him, the words leaving her mouth before she could stop them. 


His eyes went wide “What?”


“In your sock drawer...Not the best hiding place.”


JC sighed “Hannah…”


“Um...Is it for...Did you buy it because...Is there someone else?” She felt herself going dizzy as she forced herself to ask.


“Annie...What kind of question is that? Of course I bought it for you.”


Hannah took deep breaths, her eyes getting watery. “...In 2010…”


JC looked down, his voice just above a whisper. ‘Yeah…”


“That’s...over a year ago...almost 2…”


“Yeah…” he breathed. 


“Did you...change your mind?”


“No,” his jaw was tight, eyes full of emotion “No, I just...Hannah we have a good thing going…”


“Three years...three years, Jace...You’re still not sure?”


His voice was shaky “I’m sure...I just...Hannah this isn’t an easy thing…”


Hannah nodded, a tear already having fallen. Wiping it away, she steadied herself “You’re not ready…”


JC sighed “No…Are you?”


Hannah swallowed back more tears, ready to give in. “I...didn’t think so...but when I saw that box…” she shook her head “Jace you made me think about it...a lot.”


JC opened his mouth to speak, feeling a bit numb as he could only wrap her in his arms. Hannah buried her head in his chest, letting herself cry for a moment. 


“Annie I’m not going anywhere. Nothing has to change.” he spoke, kissing the top of her head.


She sighed against him, pushing back in his arms “Except it already has…”


“I’ll get there, Hannah...I will…”


She shook her head. “I can’t…”


“Annie...don’t…” his breathing was thick as his eyes shifted, searching her face for relief. 


“I’m sorry…” she whispered, letting her eyes spill over. 


JC’s face twisted, instinctively moving to wipe the tears from her eyes as he fought his own. Holding her tightly to him, he closed his eyes, saying nothing. Catching their attention at the same time, they opened their eyes as they heard muffled voices; noisemakers. 


“...5...4...3...2...1...HAPPY NEW YEAR!” 


The cheers from the ballroom pierced the moment, both of them feeling like they had been punched in the chest. 


“We made it to midnight,” JC whispered, his eyes sad. 

 

Hannah nodded, her eyes amber and wet. Reaching her hand up to his face, she sighed softly, a confirmation, as she stretched up to his lips. He caught her hand in his, leaning down. Their lips met each other softly, slowly before they both pulled back, foreheads against each other. Holding each other silently, they enjoyed one last moment



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story