Author's Chapter Notes:

Short, but meaningful. Enoy!


Hannah entered the green room to a chorus of applause. Jade moved quickly to wrap her into a hug.  Hannah laughed, doing a cute little bow. 


“You guys this is just one signing.”


“Uh, NO, Miss Bestseller..It’s the FIRST signing and the start of you being the superstar we always knew you were.”


Hannah waved her off, turning red. “STOP. It took me long enough to write this one,” she laughed. 


JC stood in the corner, smiling as glasses of champagne were handed out. She was light on her feet, excited though she was being modest. Everyone in the room was treating her like the star she was, and her grace and humility was perfect. 


Hannah took a sip of her champagne and caught him in the corner of her eye. Walking over, she held up her glass to him “Cheers? Broken hearts club?”


JC grinned, clinking her glass. “Too soon, Hannah...Too soon,” he laughed.


“Thank you for coming.”


JC nodded. “This is amazing, Hannah...Really... I’m proud of you.”


She blushed “Thanks, Jace…”


“Hey um...Do you wanna have dinner later? It’s been so long I just-”


Hannah smiled, cutting him off. “That sounds fun.”


***

Jc studied her as he sipped his drink. Her hair was shorter, but it worked perfectly on her.

The same hazel eyes, but somehow they were deeper, more soulful. There was a wisdom there, undoubtedly from wherever life had taken her. It was gorgeous.


A casual smile as she matched his sip. Her energy was calm, confident. She had never been shy, but this was a new vibe on her. She was settled. Steady and sure.


“So...Did you read the book, or are you just stalking me?” she offered.


JC smirked, almost an admission. “What if it’s both?”


“In that case...I’d be a little impressed,” Hannah answered, taking another quick sip.


He smiled “I read the book, Annie...It’s amazing. The signing, well… Justin saw a flyer and sent me a picture...I’ll thank him later.”


Hannah laughed a little. “Always up to something, that guy...I’m glad you came. It’s good to see you…”


JC sighed “It’s good to see YOU…” 


He looked tired, but no less attractive. She stole a quick few moments to glance at the gray in his hair, the scruff on his face. Age had been very kind to him. ”How are you keeping yourself busy, Jace? Ya know...besides the movie...”


He grinned, blushing.


“You saw it?”


She smiled. “Curiosity got to me...It was...interesting.” She giggled.


“Too on the nose?” he teased.


Hannah laughed “Not at all, but it was a good time. I’d actually pay to see that show...”


JC laughed and shrugged. “It was fun to do…”


“It was good to hear your voice again...I was always upset that second album didn’t work out...Sorry,” she stopped herself.


A sad smile found his lips. “Yeah, me too. Things got...a little rough after that.” He sighed. “Probably why I wasn’t always the guy I wanted to be...With you...With everyone, really.”


Hannah nodded, a soft look in his direction. “Yeah...I get it.”


“The label just...didn’t get it..Or maybe I didn’t...I dunno. Things got tense. I should have opened up to you more about it. Instead I just...avoided it at home and took out my frustrations on Andy. We both did, on each other.”


“Andy?” Hannah questioned, sipping her wine.


“Yeah...Actually...You met him once..Andrew Collins...He was on the team then.”


Hannah almost choked. “Oh...Um...right. I uh...Yeah, I wish you had opened up more…”


She felt her cheeks go hott and her nerves race. Andy. Andy was part of the album?!


“Are you ok?” JC asked, noticing the look on her face.


“Yeah, uh...Wrong pipe,” she covered.


He smiled. “I’m sorry. Annie. I am. I’m lucky you’re even here right now.”


She sighed. “Let’s just...Enjoy this, yeah?”


JC smiled. “Yeah...Sounds good.”




A bottle of wine in, they both sat with full bellies. Hannah laughed as he finished remembering a botched date night they had had.


“I swear! That bird came from NOWHERE…” he laughed back.


“OMG Stop...I can’t…” she covered her face as she erupted into a fit of giggles.


He watched as her eyes half closed, the twinkle from her laugh barely visible. It was the same laugh he remembered.


“Hey uh...Do you wanna get out of here ..grab a drink somewhere ?” he asked.


Hannah smiled wistfully. “Jace I…” she sighed “Honestly...I would love to, but I have to get home…”


Jc nodded “Got it...Sorry I… didn’t mean to overstep…”


She shook her head “Oh! No...No that’s not it I...My daughter’s with a sitter…”


His brow shot up “Daughter…?! Oh...Oh! I..I didn’t know...I’m sorry, I…”


Hannah looked down, feeling the awkwardness settle in. 


“Liv… Um, Olivia… She’s 4…”


“Wow...Wow, Annie…” he smiled, before his eyes shifted as a thought danced in his head.


When was the last time he had seen her? The last night they had…

The room got a little warmer as he took a sip of his water. 


“Um...Her dad...Are you…”


Hannah took a breath, finding a small smile “Didn’t work out...ANYWAY...It’s getting late, so…”


“Yeah...Yeah..Listen um...Can we do this again? Maybe...not on a school night next time?” he charmed.


Hannah smirked. “Maybe...We can talk about it…”


“Okay…” he looked at her softly. 


There was a pause as they studied each other, neither one quite sure what to say. The bill came and they both reached for it, JC looking up at her. 


“Annie...I got it…” he pulled the check toward him.


“JC...Come on, no! I’m good for it…” she reached for her bag.


He shook his head “I invited you...It’s my treat.”


She offered him a half smile. “Thank you…”


Making their way out of the restaurant, they turned to say their goodbyes. 


“So...Caaaan I...get your number…?” JC stumbled, realizing how juvenile he must sound.


Hannah let out a half giggle. “You have it. It hasn’t changed…”


JC looked down, shoving his hands in his pockets awkwardly “Wow. Real smooth, dude” he laughed.


Hannah laughed and shrugged. “Not as bad as you think.”


She took one more look at him, her eyes now having a greenish hue.  JC smiled, taking a chance. Taking her hand in his, he moved closer to her, touching his lips to hers softly, tentatively. Hannah smiled against him, moving her lips over his slowly.


Pulling away slowly after a few minutes, his forehead rested on hers for a moment. 


“I uh...I have to go,” Hannah spoke softly, a glow still on her face. 


JC closed his eyes briefly, a lazy smile in reply “Yeah...I’ll call you tomorrow?”


Hannah nodded “Ok. I’ll talk to you later, Jace…”


“Goodnight, Annie…”


He let go of her hand as they parted ways, neither one of them able to see the other’s expression. Hannah’s full of happiness, nostalgia, hope…while JC was left in wonder.


Daughter. Hannah had a daughter. 4. The timing worked. Was there something she wasn’t telling him?


****

Hannah opened the door to her condo, smiling as she heard a small stampede before she saw it coming her way.


“Mommy!” an excited voice greeted her, running to throw her arms around her legs.


“Heyyyy baby…” Hannah smiled, lifting her up. 


“I’m so sorry,” Hannah’s sitter came trailing after Olivia. “She woke up when she heard the car. 


“It’s fine…” Hannah waved her off. “Thank you for staying later,” she set Olivia down and reached into her bag for cash to pay her.


“It’s not a problem...We had a good time, Right Princess Olivia?” she did a royal curtsy.


Olivia giggled and nodded. “Mommy did you have fun with books?”


Hannah grinned “I sure did...But I missed you!”


Olivia beamed before giving in to a yawn.


“Ok Princess Olivia...I think its time to go back to bed.”


The little girl shook her head “Nooo….not sleepy.”


“I think you are…” Hannah gave her a look.


“Mommy I thuuu-sty”


Hannah smirked. “No you’re not…”


“Uh huh…” 


“Ok...Tell you what,” she leaned forward with her hands on her legs “Go get in bed, and I’ll bring you some juice, ok?”


“Okay!” Olivia exclaimed as she disappeared up the stairs. 


“Thanks again…’ Hannah handed the cash to the sitter.


“Anytime...She’s my favorite. Honestly! “


Hannah smiled, proud of Olivia. “Good...Because I might need to call you again soon…”


The sitter gave Hannah a look, noting the glow on her face “I take it dinner went well?”


Hannah nodded “It did.”


“Just let me know,” a knowing smile was directed at Hannah before she left.



Kicking off her shoes, Hannah climbed the stairs up to Olivia’s room, finding her exactly as she knew she would, fast asleep on her bed. Carefully pulling the blankets over her, she kissed the top of her head and sighed. “Sweet Dreams, Livie…”


She took a minute to watch her sleep. So peaceful. This was her calm at the end of every day. She was the reason for every goal she set for herself, and the reason she could find joy in the smallest things. 


She thought about dinner. About JC. She hadn’t been sure she would ever see him again, and today had taken her by surprise. Her life was so different now, and he only knew a fraction of it. 

 

Would he really want to get to know who she was now; what her life was? So much had changed in 4 years, but right now, in this moment, she felt like a younger version of herself.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story