Hannah pulled her hair up into a messy bun, fending off the Los Angeles heat as she waited for Jade to arrive. Having lunch with her best friend was much more complicated these days, between her filming schedule, and the need for privacy. Jade had become a household name, and hanging out with her almost always meant a camera around the corner. She kept it at bay by giving polite sound bites and posing for usable photos until the paparazzi left her alone. 


As she sipped her iced tea at a semi-private patio table, she was interrupted by a slightly younger woman who had approached.


“Excuse me...Are you Hannah Martin?

Hannah peered out from her sunglasses, unsure the woman was talking to her.


“ME? Um...Yes?”


“OH MY GOD. I LOVE ‘Unattached.’” She pulled a copy of the book out from her bag. “It’s like...MY LIFE STORY...Would you mind if I got your autograph?”


Hannah’s jaw dropped slightly as she stared at the starstruck look focused on her. 


“Um...s-sure…” she found a smile “What’s your name?”


“Sara,” she replied.


“Do you...have a pen?” Hannah asked, a little embarrassed.


“Oh uh...Yeah, sorry…” Sara fumbled through her bag until she found a pen and handed it to Hannah.


Hannah smiled up at her before signing the book and handing it back “There ya go…”


“Thank you SO much...Hey, is it true you dated JC from *NSync? “


Hannah blushed “Uh...Yeah...Yes I did.”


“Wow,” Sara shook her head “That’s amazing. Um...Sorry to bother you. Enjoy your lunch!” 


“Thank you. Nice to meet you, Sara…” she smiled. 


Hannah blinked a few times to process what had just happened as Jade approached quietly, eyes following her as she did. Hannah smirked as she heard the whispers around her. 


“Ok...What’s with your face,” Jade looked at Hannah as she sat down.


Hannah bit her lip “I just signed an autograph.” she whispered.


“WHAT?” Jade whispered back, grinning from ear to ear. “Here?!”


Hannah nodded “Yep. Wow that was weird…”


“Kind of a rush, huh?” Jade smiled.


“Yeah...Ya know I didn’t think it would feel so cool…”


Jade giggled “It won’t after awhile. It will become normal...Still pretty cool, though. Always.”


“Well I’ll never be at your level.”


Jade shook her head and smiled “The way you write..You never know. ANYWAY..Let’s order so we can talk. I NEED to hear how it went with JC…”


**

As they ate slowly, the catchup session was focused mostly on Hannah.


“So ok where did he take you? What was he wearing?”


Hannah giggled “Nothing crazy. Private tasting menu...button down and jeans. Red boots.”


Jade shook her head “Yeah...nothing special…PRIVATE tasting”


“He’s shy...Food was amazing, though…”


“Yeah? Were there….ya know...sparks?”


Hannah blushed “Maybe...I dunno…”


“MAYBE? Look at you! You’re like a teenager!” Jade teased.


Hannah sighed “It’s just...been a long time. I had fun. I don’t get out much, you know that. And he looked...GOOD.”


Jade smiled. “Sooo..Your mom had Livie...Did ...Anything happen?”


Hannah smirked “He kissed me…”


“That’s it?!”


“JADE! We aren’t horny kids anymore. I HAVE a kid...I can’t just jump into bed with people.”


“He’s not ‘people,’ Hannah…”


Hannah sighed “Look, I have to be careful. He was a gentleman.”


Jade smirked “Boring...Speaking of kid, though...How does he feel about Olivia?”


Hannah smiled “He saw a picture of her. Said she was gorgeous.”


“Well, DUH...She IS..” Jade beamed.


“Asked if she was his…” Hannah bit her lip.


Jade choked on her food “You hadn’t told him she wasn’t?”


“I guess I didn’t realize I needed to…?” Hannah answered.


“HANNAH...You were with him for 3 years...And she happened...Well...Not that long after…”


Hannah sighed “Yeah, I know…He seemed...Disappointed?”


Jade coked her head to the side “Really?”


“Yeah...That was weird to me, too...but he seems ok with me as a mom,” Hannah smiled. 


“Did you tell him who Olivia’s father is?” Jade asked


“No...don’t think that’s exactly second date conversation. Besides, I don’t really know what’s going on yet. “


Jade grinned “What do you want to be going on?”


“I don’t know. It was nice. Hanging out again...Kissing him. I guess...I missed him.”


“No shit, Hannah…” Jade gave her a look.


“What does THAT mean…”


“WHO have you dated since him?”


“Ummmm...I don’t know if you remember, but I’ve been *kind* of busy being pregnant, having a child, being a single mother, and OH YEAH, navigating a career…”



“Uh huh...and EVERY guy you have gone out on ONE date with since then always has some sort of weird dealbreaker…”


“EVERY guy,” Hannah rolled her eyes “There’s maybe been 5…”


“Who were all apparently HIDEOUS,” Jade teased dramatically. 


“Jade…”


Jade grabbed Hannah’s arm as she gave her a soft look “I LOVE that little girl, and you are an AMAZING mom, but you’re STILL a woman and you deserve happiness…”


“I’m happy, Jade! Why wouldn’t I be? I have Olivia. I have a home. I’m doing what I always wanted to do.”


Jade took a sip of her drink “Just...Make some time for JUST Hannah, yeah?”


Hannah sighed “I’m fine…”


Jade smirked “He still as good a kisser as you used to tell me he was?”


Hannah blushed “Yeah…”


Jade grinned “You’re in so much trouble…”


**


JC sighed as he stared at his phone. He wanted to hear her voice, but he didn’t have a reason. 

They had only been out again 3 times, but who was counting. Having just gotten back into town from a vacation with his family, he found himself wanting to tell her about it. A tired smile finding his face, he decided to take a chance, and dialed her number.


“Hi Jace…” she answered, a hint of a smile in her voice.


“Hey Annie uh...Can you talk?”


Hannah looked down at her laptop, where she was taking notes for her next book. 

“Sure...Everything ok?”


“Yeah, um..I just got back last night…”


Hannah shut her laptop closed on the table in front of her. Olivia was busy with her crayons and weekend cartoons in the living room just off the kitchen. 


“How was Ireland?” she asked.


“Beautiful… I wanna go back…”


Hannah smiled “Nice. It’s on my bucket list for sure. How are your parents?”


JC smiled “They’re my parents. They had a blast, though… They remember you.”


“Oh yeah? My name came up?”


“Maybe…Is that a problem?” he grinned into the phone.


Hannah giggled softly “No...It’s not a problem.”


“What are you up to?” 


“Writing...Kind of...Trying to land on a solid idea…”


JC chuckled “How many do you have?” he asked, remembering her process. 


Hannah smirked “Three…”

“Are you outlining them?”


Hannah’s voice on the other end was a breathy chuckle “Yes…”


JC smiled “Sounds right. Can I see you this weekend?”


Hannah looked over to Olivia, crayon in hand as she carefully followed the dance lesson one of her shows was giving her. 


“Maybe. Olivia’s dad is supposed to have her tomorrow…”


“You don’t sound too confident…”


Hannah sighed “Just waiting for his excuse. I’m sorry...I wish I could give you a definite answer.”


JC bit his lip. “It’s fine. I get it. Why don’t we play it by ear...Come over...If you can. I’ll be here all day.”


Hannah smiled “I don’t wanna hold you up.”


JC grinned “Annie...Have you met me? I was gonna be here, anyway…”


“MOMMY LOOK!” Olivia’s voice interrupted them.


JC felt his pulse suddenly race. There she was. She was real. A tiny, adorable sound to remind him of how different Hannah’s life was now. 


“Livie..Mommy’s on the phone...Remember? Don’t be rude…” He heard her muffled voice. 


“Mommy, PLEASE look...I dance!” 


JC smiled to himself on the other end.


“HANNNAHHH…” he raised his voice so she could hear it. 


Hannah took her hand away from the bottom of her phone, speaking into it. 


“I’m so sorry…”


He grinned “You better go look. Sounds like she’s got somes moves.”


Hannah laughed “You have no idea. Can I call you and let you know about tomorrow?”


“You better…” he smiled into the phone. “Talk to you later, Annie.”


*****

JC smiled as he opened his front door to greet Hannah. He loved looking at her.


 She was dressed casually. Oversized flannel button down over skinny jeans and clean white low-top sneakers. Her hair was styled in messy waves, and she had just the lightest touch of makeup on her face and simple diamond studs in her ears. 


“Hey,” he grinned as she stepped inside. 


“Hey,” she bit her lip.  “Sorry it took me so long to get here.”


“Nah. Just happy you’re here. Everything go ok with Olivia’s father?”


Hannah rolled her eyes “It never does. She’s at his parents’ house. ‘Last minute thing’ he had to go to, so he is APPARENTLY going to meet her there. Whatever. His parents are good to her, at least…”


JC’s brow was furrowed. “Does he see her a lot?” 


Hannah sighed. “Not really. It’s always work or...some other excuse. When he does see her, it’s never for very long because she wants to come home.”


“I’m sorry, Annie…” he sighed. “That sucks.”


“Yeah well...You get used to it, I guess…”


He moved closer to her, wrapping his arms around her. “Sounds like you could use a day to relax.”


She smiled up at him and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. “Yes, please…”


JC grinned. “Can you have some wine, or…”

Hannah nodded “I’m cleared for a glass or two. She’s spending the night.”


JC smiled, leading her to his kitchen island, where a spread of sliced cheese, grapes, crackers and nuts was waiting next to a chilled bottle of red wine.


“Wooooow,” she teased “So fancy…”


JC laughed “Courtesy of Whole Foods….”


Hannah shook her head “Trying pretty hard, Jace…” 


“Maybe…” he smirked.


JC uncorked the wine, pouring them each a glass. They talked about his trip, and her ideas for a new book. Their conversation came easily, as if picking up where they had left off. 


Hannah nibbled on a piece of cheese, halfway through a second glass of wine, when the light shifted from the outside, bathing them in low light.


JC’s eyes caught the sun as it dipped in the sky. “Wanna go out on the balcony for a bit?”


Hannah’s lips twisted into a casual smile. An old habit of theirs. Hours spent catching sunsets as they enjoyed a simple moment with each other. 


“Sounds nice,” she answered. 


He smiled as he took her hand, leading her out and sitting next to her on the deck. 


Hannah closed her eyes as the late afternoon breeze hit her face, the familiar scent of jasmine filling her nose. JC smiled as the sun lit up her features.


“Still feels amazing out here…” she smiled. 


“Yeah...It’s a beautiful day,” JC agreed. 


They sat in silence for a few minutes, both of them in their own heads. JC was the first to speak, focused on how right it felt to be here with her, and the way she relaxed in the sun.


“Hannah...What happened to us?”


Hannah sat up a little straighter, turning to look at him. “What…?”


JC sighed, repeating his question “What happened to us? 5 years ago.”


Hannah’s smile was sad as she thought. “I don’t know, Jace...We were happy...Until we weren’t.”


JC nodded “Did we force things…?”


Hannah bit her lip. “I don’t know. I thought a lot differently then. Thought I was happy on my own...Then I met you…”


JC’s lips curved into a half smile “Same could be said for me…”


Hannah took a breath, letting out slowly “It’s embarrassing, ya know?”


“What is?” JC wrinkled his brow. 


“I knew you two seconds before we...God you must have thought-”


“I thought you were hott,” he admitted, a shy smile.


Hannah nodded. “Yeah, well...Feeling was mutual…”


“Annie, uh..You weren’t ever just...I mean...The sex was great, but it’s not why I kept coming back.


Hannah smiled “Yeah...Me neither. Not really.”


JC bit his lip “5 years. It’s a long time.”


Hannah looked down, sighing “Yeah...It is…I guess we missed a lot”


“I wanna hear about all of it, San Diego...the book...Olivia…”


Hannah smiled as she let out a long breath “Are you sure? It...might take awhile to tell…”


“I’ve got time, Annie…” His blue eyes were sincere, taking in every word she said.


She nodded, tears forming in her eyes. “It hurt, Jace...I didn’t want it to...It did…”


“What did…” JC was holding his breath. 


“When you said you weren’t ready…”


He sighed softly “Yeah...It hurt when you left…”


Hannah nodded “Well things got ...interesting after I did, so…”


JC bit his lip “Did he take care of you, Hannah?”


“Who?”


“Olivia’s father...When you-”


Hannah wiped her eyes as a few tears fell. “No…” she whispered. 


JC’s face was in his hands “FUCK…”


Hannah pulled his hand away from his eyes “That wasn’t your fault…Actually, it pushed me harder to finish my book”


JC smiled slowly “New York Times Best Seller…”


Hannah blushed “Signed an autograph the other day at lunch with Jade…”


JC’s grin grew “You’re famous, Hannah…”


Hannah giggled against her will, hearing that come from his mouth. “Hardly…”


JC nodded “I *might* know something about the subject, Annie...You’re a star…”


Leaning forward, he gently grabbed her face in his hands, hers moving to his face to match, He kissed her slowly; carefully, as she returned his touch. Their hands in each other’s hair, he pulled her into his lap, pausing to brush the loose strands out of her face. Her hand found the wave in his hair as she smiled softly. 


“Think you could fall for me again?” Hannah asked softly. 


JC’s grin was gentle, but deep “Annie...I already am…”


Hannah let out a soft breath, the world a bit fuzzy around her. She kissed him again, bringing his hands to her body. His mouth fell to her collarbone, nipping gently. Her hands gripped his arms as a light gasp escaped her. Looking up at her, his gaze was intense.


“Hannah…” his voice came just above a whisper. 


Her eyes were wild, focused directly into his. Biting her lip, she smiled and slowly nodded. She slid to stand as he got up, hands pulling up his t-shirt as he walked backwards through the balcony door into his house. Shirt off, his fingers made quick work of the buttons on her flannel, sliding it down over her shoulders. They made their way to the master bedroom, trailing clothing along the way. Reaching the bed, Hannah laid down slowly, sheets that immediately comforted her, as JC crawled to straddle her. 


Lifting his head, he took a moment to look at her. All of her. His lips moved down her body as she held her breath slightly. 


His eyes met hers and a smile found his lips “Annie...wow..” he breathed. 


She blushed as she looked away. “...A little different now…”


He kissed his way from just above her belly button to her lips, brushing some hair out of her eyes with his hand. 


“You’re beautiful…” 


 His eyes looked into hers as he kissed her again, softly this time. Hannah felt herself go warm, relaxing into his hands as they fell to her chest, circling every detail of her body. It was like no time had passed, yet so different. 


She remembered his hands. She remembered the way his lips felt as she met his mouth with hers. 


His hand went between her legs, his fingers sliding gently across and into her in rhythm. 


“Mmm” she softly responded.


JC grinned, nipping at her neck softly as he continued. She reached down, finding him ready, and carefully circled her wrist. They worked together, finding each other again.


His breath was hot on her skin as they lost themselves. After a few minutes, her head spinning, he quietly moved her hand off of him, removing his own fingers from her. Wrapping her arm around his neck, he slid her leg up at an angle, dipping his mouth to her ear, briefly. 


“I missed this... “ he whispered. 


Hannah nodded slowly looking up at him, feeling emotion wash over her. “Me too…”


He kissed just behind her ear, sliding carefully into her as he looked into her eyes. 


Hannah let out a satisfied sigh. It had been so long. He still knew every inch of her so well.


“Oh my God…” she breathed, her eyes fluttering closed. 


“Hannah….Ahhhh…”  He moved slowly, carefully, taking his time to feel her again. 


Hannah felt a rush as he moved, her whole body on fire, hands on his skin.


“Yes, Jace…” she breathed as her hips bucked up to meet him. 


She felt him go deeper, keeping the same pace, driving her into pure bliss. As she responded, JC felt his breath pick up. Unable to stop himself, his rhythm picked up, their bodies crashing together until they both let go. Collapsing gently on top of her, he let his head rest on her chest.


Hannah let herself be still, eyes closed, as she held him to her, taking in his breath as it brushed her skin.


“Mmmm I could get used to this again…” she smiled.

 

“Good...Cuz I kinda wanna keep you…” JC mumbled against her.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story