Hannah tiptoed around the room as she pulled herself together. As she grabbed her bag, she searched for a mirror to check her hair and makeup. She was convinced she looked a mess.


She silently cursed herself for falling asleep. Spending the night was something she tried not to do as a general rule.


She rubbed a smudge under her eyes as she heard him walking up.


“Shit,” she whispered to herself.


“MMMHey...Good morning…” he smiled as he lazily looked over at her.


“Morning,” she offered a weak smile.


“Heading out?” he smirked. It was a move he knew well.


“Yeah um...Last night was fun,,”


He smiled “Uh huh...Wanna leave me your number, honey?”


She blushed “Oh uh...Yeah let’s not...You don’t have to do that.”


Jc raised his eyebrows “Alright….well uh...Need me to call a car or something?”


“I got it...Thanks.” she nodded.


“Get home safe…” he smiled. 


It was awkward. They both felt it. Morning afters usually were. He knew enough not to make it worse. 


She offered him one last smile...more of a satisfied smirk, and made her way out.


Smiling, he sighed as he rolled onto his back. 


“Another interesting night…” he shook his head at himself.




Hannah turned her key carefully and slowly, pushing the door open slowly to avoid its tell-tale creak. 


She had barely set foot inside when a voice sent her jumping in her own skin.


“HEY HEY Party girl!” Jade teased from the couch as she sipped something from a mug.


Hannah grabbed her chest “JESUS, Jade…”


Jade laughed and glanced at the time on the cable box before surveying her roommate in last night’s clothes. “10 am, huh? Gonna take a wild guess that you had quite a night…”


Hannah sighed “Can we not do this?” 


Jade smirked “I’m almost getting used to it…”


“What does that mean?”


“HANNAH...RELAX...No judgement! I live vicariously…” she gestured dramatically. 


Hannah rolled her eyes. “Nothing stopping you, ya know…”


Jade shook her head “I don’t need to be known as a party girl before I eve…” She stopped herself, considering the implication of her statement “...Sorry Han...You know what I mean…”


Hannah nodded “I get it...I, however, don’t have to worry what people think of me.” She stuck her tongue out at her friend.


Jade smiled “Sooooo…?”


“Sooo What?” Hannah asked.


“Oh come ON, girl...You left with one fifth of *NSYNC...I get NOTHING? No details at all?”


Hannah laughed “He USED to be in *NSYNC...and...No...I’m a lady…” she teased over her shoulder as she made her way to her bedroom.


“HANNAH RAE MARTIN, YOU BRAT!” Jade followed her down the hall.

Hannah stared at Jade as she sat on her bed. “It was fun. Secret weapon rumors are true…” She wiggled her eyebrows.


“Oh my Gooooood…” Jade squealed “Jesus girl…” she shook her head. “You gonna see him again?”


“Probably not” Hannah shrugged “Didn’t exchange numbers or anything. It was just for fun.”


Jade sighed “One day someone’s gonna break you, girl...You can’t keep that wall up forever…”


“I can and I will” Hannah replied matter of factly “It’s easier. No one gets hurt.”


“Whatever you say, girl...Well...Next round in two weeks?”


“What?” 


Jade bit her lip. “There’s a thing at Eric’s house…”


“No…”


“HANNAH come ONNN...You know I hate going alone…”


“So find a date.”


“I have one...You!”


“Jade...people are gonna start to think we’re together…”


“Not if you keep leaving with pop stars…” she winked. 


Hannah rolled her eyes and laughed “UGH Fine...now go away...I need a nap.”


“Oh I’ll BET you do…” Jade teased.


**


Hannah shuffled out of the town car to follow Jade. She stared at the house in front of them.


“Well this looks suitably douchey…” she remarked.


Jade swatted at her and laughed. “Stop!” 


“I’ll be nice...Why are we here again?”


“It’s someone’s birthday.”


“Whose birthday?”


Jade bit her lip. 


“What?” Hannah asked.


“So I SWEAR I didn’t realize when I got the invite…”


“Jade…”


“It’s….JC...It’s JC’s birthday.


Hannah’s eyes went wide “TELL ME you are kidding…”


“I didn’t know!”


“I’m going to look...like a stalker…” Hannah sighed.


“No! You are here with me...Come on, it’s fine he knows we live together...He knows you’re my best friend…”


“He knows what I look like naked…” Hannah finished.


“That was YOUR choice…”


“Jade I’m gonna go...This isn’t my scene, anyway…”


“HANNAH COME ON! You know I don’t like coming to these things alone….PLUS what if I book a job?...Then you will look back on these hangouts fondly…” she pouted.


“EPIC guilt trip, Jade…” Hannah rolled her eyes. 


“Did it work?”


Hannah gave her best friend a tired look “Yeah...Let’s go…”


Jade clapped her hands together “Yay!”


The two women made their way to the backyard, where the party was already in full swing. Their arrival went mostly unnoticed, as they searched out where to get a drink. Spotting the bar, they made their way over, getting stopped by none other than Eric himself.


“JADE...Sweetie! You made it!”


“Hi Eric!” she smiled, offering him a short hug as he kissed her cheek.


Hannah’s skin crawled. 


“Hannah, hey there...You look nice tonight…” He surveyed her modest black maxi dress with subtle ruffle detailing. The August night had left her no other choice than to forego pants. Her silver, chandelier earrings with flecks of jewel-tone and hair up in a neat bun accented the look.


“Thank you.” She faked a smile. 


He gestured to the two drinks in his hand. “Well ...Make yourselves at home. Plenty to eat and drink. Gotta get this back to the birthday boy. Jade, my love...Let’s chat later!”


“Sure thing!” Jade smiled. “I’ll find you in a few…”


“To the whiskey!” Hannah sped up to the bar. Jade shook her head and giggled, following her best friend. 




Two and a half drinks in, Hannah and Jade had actually spent most of the night chatting and dancing around the party. 


“I should probably mingle a little….Find the birthday boy and say hi…” Jade smirked. 


Hannah looked just beyond Jade to something behind her.


“THAT birthday boy?” she pointed with her eyes.


Jade twisted her neck to look behind her. JC sat at a modern patio set, slightly hooded eyes, flanked by two women hanging on his every word. He looked relaxed, casually dressed in well fitted jeans, a black graphic tee, and a simple black fedora.The male portion of the posse sat perched on the matching lounge chairs, engaged in the same conversation, occasionally managing a look from the pre-occupied women.


Jade laughed lightly “Well looks like his night is going well...I’m gonna go say hi...You wanna join me?” she gave Hannah a suggestive look.


Hannah shook her head “I’m good. Gonna roam. Have fun…”


Jade shook her head “Sure you’re gonna be ok.”


“I’m a big girl...And I think I saw cheese on that table over there…”


Jade laughed and held up her phone “You know how to find me…”


Hannah nodded and winked at Jade, slightly tipsy herself “Mmmhmm...Go be a movie star…”



Hannah walked around the huge yard, mostly admiring the view as she nibbled on her plate of party food. She managed conversation with a few people whose faces she recognized, not knowing all of their names. She was good at making friends. Maybe that’s why Jade liked bringing her to these things. 


She sat on a deserted bench, just out of range of the center of activity as she sipped her drink. She had just popped a cheese cube in her mouth when a voice joined her.


“Tired, already?’ A scruffy face with light brown hair greeted her, sitting just next to her.


“Just enjoying the view…” Hannah smiled and looked out toward the Hollywood Hills.


“Not from around here?” the man chuckled slightly.


“I am” Hannah challenged him “You have to stop and appreciate the simple things sometimes…”


He studied her, amused. “I’m Andrew...Andy…”


“Hannah…” She raised her glass in greeting.


“You look like you could use another drink, Hannah...Can I help with that?”


Hannah sighed softly. “Sure.”


He was cute. She was bored. Following him back to the bar, they talked and drank. He was a record executive at Jive. He looked the type. Tailored pants and a chic button down to a party. Shined loafers and dress socks. In the middle of August in Los Angeles. He smelled expensive and floated between disinterested and effortlessly charming. 


“So your friend...She any good?” Andy continued the conversation


“She is! I think she’s close to getting a break...I can’t wait for the world to know who she is.” Hannah smiled.


“Well she’s got the look for sure...Too bad she isn’t a singer...Might be able to help…” He took a sip of his drink.


Hannah shrugged “Her voice isn’t terrible…”  


Out of the corner of her eye, she caught the face that matched the laugh she was hearing.


He threw his head back as the corners of his eyes crinkled. He was standing with Jade and a couple other people she didn’t recognize. Industry types, no doubt. She caught herself staring and looked down quickly when his eyes turned to the side, catching hers. He smirked, glancing quickly between her and Andy.


“Uh...Thank you for the drink...Would you excuse me?” she turned her eyes to Jade by way of explanation.


Andy followed her look “Uh...yeah...Yeah no problem...See you later maybe?”


“Maybe…” she smiled “Have a good night…”


She should really say “Happy Birthday,” right? Be rude not to. 


“Hannah! There you are!” Jade chirped. “Where you been, girl?”


Hannah smiled “Uh just ..mingling..” she shrugged. 


She looked toward JC. “Happy Birthday,” she said politely.


“Thanks, mama…” he tipped his drink in her direction.


Jade giggled under her breath. “UH...I need another drink...Excuse me..” she smirked as she walked off. 


Instigator.


The other two people Hannah had not recognized were engaged in a conversation of their own, leaving her alone with JC.


“I see you met Andy..”


“Uh...Yeah, I guess...Friend of yours?”


JC snickered and took a sip of his drink “Not exactly…”


Hannah shuffled on her feet. “Um...Okaaay...He seems nice, anyway...Friendly…”


“Uh huh” JC smirked.


“ANYWAY, uh...Having a good birthday?”


He smiled at her through slightly hazy eyes  “It may have just gotten better…” 


“Oh yeah?” Hannah snickered, a little past tipsy now. 


JC bit his lip lightly and looked her up and down. “Definitely…”


Hannah blushed against her will. “Uh...Well can I get you a birthday shot?”


JC grinned at her, before gesturing in front of him “After you…”



Downing his shot of Basil Hayden, JC winced slightly and turned to Hannah “Thank you…”


She giggled “Not a big whiskey guy, huh?”


He blushed a little “I like it...More a  wine or beer guy…”


“Red wine is nice…” Hannah offered. 


“Whiskey girl, though...It’s impressive…” JC smiled at her.


Hannah shook her head before licking a bit of whiskey remnant from her lips “You already got me in bed, Chasez...You don’t have to throw lines at me…”


JC grinned “Damn...you don’t miss a beat, huh?”


Hannah sighed “I’m honest. Saves everyone time…”


JC nodded. “Well...in the spirit of honesty...I wouldn’t mind you in my bed again…”


Hannah stared down at her empty shot glass, a smirk finding her lips as she avoided looking at him. “Repeats aren’t...usually my thing…”


JC smiled, leaning back on the bar a bit. He was feeling confident. There was no way he had imagined how good she was two weeks ago. From his side, she had enjoyed it quite a bit, too.”


“Well...Something to consider,” he gave her a polite smile before walking off.

 

Hannah shook off a smile as she watched him walk away. Damn, he really was HOTT.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story