“Are you ok-” he started, looking past her to see Andy. 


Hannah felt her lungs close in on her. 


“Andy…?!” JC stared at him. 


“Hooooly Shit…” Andy stared at him, a cocky smirk on his face. “Long time, Chasez…”


“Hannah...What’s going on…?”


“Oh shit…” Andy’s lips started to twitch into a smile.  “He doesn’t know…”


“Andy...Shut up…” Hannah narrowed her gaze at him.


“Know what…” JC looked between them. 


“Olivia’s mine…” Andy stared at JC.


JC’s eyes went wide, two shades disappearing from the color in his face. 


“Hannah…” He gave her a look. 


She closed her eyes, sighing. “Yeah...Yes…”


JC felt the bile rise in his throat, his brain pounding in his head.  A low rumble as he processed what he had just heard, he let a breath out, looking directly at Andy. 


“Then you can call later… She already told you she isn’t here. Take your hand off her property…”


Hannah’s eyes went wide as she looked at JC, almost holding her breath. “Jace…”


“Hannah...Are you letting him go get her right now?” he asked without looking at her.


She looked down “No. No I’m not.”


“Ok. Andy...You need to leave. “ His eyes were almost black as he stared back at the other man. 


A chuckle as he stepped back, Andy stared at Hannah. “Giving this one another go, huh...While you dumped off our daughter? Nice, Hannah...I’ll be back next weekend.” He glared at JC as he walked away, Hannah slamming the door shut as soon as he was off the porch. 


Turning around, she was met by JC’s stare, heavy breathing and eyes on fire.


“Hannah...What...the fuck…”


“Jace..” She started “Sit down…”


“I’m fine standing, actually…” his tone had changed.


“Fine. Then I need to sit down…” Hannah took a deep breath, sitting on the couch as JC followed her but remained standing. 


“So let me get this straight...Andy...Andy Collins...Is Olivia’s father?”


Hannah nodded, clearly uncomfortable “Yes…”


JC began pacing “Wow. WOW, Hannah…”


“JC...I didn’t know. You NEVER talked about that album with me. I tried so many times to talk to you about it, and-”


“DON’T do that.” he stared at her. 


Her heart was racing. “I didn’t know who he was…Not...Like that…”


“How long were you with him?”


Hannah turned bright red, swallowing hard before she answered “Once. I was with him once…”


JC’s head snapped back to her as he continued pacing. “What do you mean...once.”


“I MEAN ONE NIGHT, JC. I mean I finally got bit in the ass by a one night stand…” Her breathing was uneven as her head fell forward into her hands. 


“I...Hannah…” He was thrown off. 


“Say it. He’s a dick. I know he is. You don’t have to tell me I fucked up…”


JC sat down next to her. “Hannah...He...He knew we were together back then..”


“YEAH...I GET THAT NOW, THANKS…” she barked back at him. 


JC paused, taking a deep, slow breath to fight his disgust. “You didn’t date at all?”


Hannah got up, doing some pacing of her own “No. We- tried. He took me out. It was a disaster.”


JC nodded. “You don’t know what kind of guy he is, Hannah.. FUCK.” He ran a hand through his hair, his leg twitching. 


“Trust me...I do…” she looked at him “But he’s Olivia’s father. I can’t change that.”


JC stared at her, a dejected breath escaping him “I’m  gonna go.”


“Jace…” her eyes got watery. 


“Hannah...Not now…”


“Okay,” she nodded. 


“I need some time to think…”


“Yeah...I’m sorry…” she breathed.


“Don’t apologize to me...Not for this.” There was a look of pain and confusion on his face “Of all the guys, Hannah…” He rubbed the back of his neck as he got up. Pulling something out of the pocket of his jeans, he threw a picture on her coffee table. “I uh...I found that...Was gonna surprise you. Have a good night, Hannah…”


As he left, Hannah watched him, paralyzed by emotion. Picking up the picture slowly, she recognized the two of them, younger, happier- pre-front facing camera - smiling in an awkward selfie. 


Dropping the picture back onto the table, she let go, the tears coming hard and fast. 


***


Hannah sighed as Jade sat across from her at her kitchen island. 


“Jade...I’m fine. You didn’t have to come over. You have so much going on.”


Jade waved a dismissive hand. “Show isn’t filming and Aaron is being annoying…”


Hannah gave her a serious look “Are you guys ok?”


Jade laughed “Yeah...We’re fine. Marriage...I wanna throw him out the window some days, but he’s hott, so…” she teased.


Hannah smirked, shaking her head. “What’s in the bag?” she looked down at the tote Jade had set down on the island.

“Kettle chips, dark chocolate, gummy worms, and whiskey…” she smiled “Oh! And some Kinder egg things. They were Paw Patrol, so…”


Hannah smiled “Paw Patrol, huh?”


Jade nodded “Yeah those are for Livie, but I mean if they help…”


Hannah sighed “Thank you...but honestly...It’s fine.”


“Han...You’re wearing your sad sweater.”


“It’s just comfortable…”


Jade gave her a look “Uh huh...It’s comfortable EVERY time something has happened with a guy for at least the last 10 years. It’s ratty, Hannah...I don’t even know why you still have it…”


Hannah looked down.


“What exactly did he say…” Jade asked carefully.


“That he needed time to think…” Hannah said quietly, reaching for the bag of chips. 


Jade winced “Ahh...That sounds…”


“Bad, right?”


Jade took her time to answer, chewing carefully on a chip she had taken from the bag. “Not...necessarily...I mean, you kind of dropped a bomb on him.”


Hannah sighed “We weren’t together, Jade...and I DIDN’T KNOW who Andy was…”


Jade nodded “Girl...I know, but that doesn’t change the fact that they have history.”


“I know. God, I feel...Well I feel really stupid.”


Jade sighed “I know. I would, too, but you really didn’t know. At least its out in the open, now…”


Hannah’s eyes started to sting “Yeah...and this time he’ll be the one to walk…”


Jade took a breath “Maybe...But Hannah, if he can’t handle it...It’s better this happened now...Before ...Well before Olivia knows who he is…”


Hannah nodded. “She knows I have a new friend.”


Jade’s eyes widened a little bit “Does she know his name?”


Hannah shook her head “No…” 


“Well...There’s that…”


“Jade…”


“Yeah?”


“I still love him…” Hannah spoke just above a whisper before shoving a chip in her mouth.


Jade sighed “Oh Hannah...I know…”


They were interrupted by Olivia, having woken up from a nap.


“AUNTIE JADE!” She yelled excitedly, running over to her.


“HEY cutie!” Jade smiled, accepting her hug and lifting her up, sitting back down on a stool with her in her lap.


Olivia gasped as she looked at the island, Hannah having emptied the tote. “Is that candy?”


Jade nodded at her. “Yep!”


“Mommy can I have candy?!’


Hannah smiled gently, holding up the kinder eggs “Paw Patrol?”


Olivia’s eyes lit up “Yes, mommy!!” 


“Hey Livie,” Jade smirked, the wheels clearly turning in her head.


“Yes?” she looked up from unwrapping the chocolate egg Hannah had just handed her.


“What iffff...We went to see the big kitties at the zoo?”


“Really??” Olivia smiled.


Jade nodded “Yes! Just me and you...Auntie Jade and Olivia day...What do you think?”


“Mommy, Can I?” Olivia looked to Hannah, who was thrown off as she looked to Jade.


“Ummm…” Hannah hesitated.


“Hannah...Let me take my Goddaughter to the zoo, pleeeease?” she charmed, her eyes glancing at the whiskey and junk food suggestively. 


Hannah smirked, shaking her head at her best friend “Fine...Have her back before bedtime. 7 pm.”


“YAY!” Olivia wiggled in Jade’s lap, Jade helping her down.


“Livie, baby, go get your backpack, ok?” Hannah told her. 


Olivia made her way to her room.


“You’re ridiculous…” Hannah smiled at Jade.


“And YOU...need a break...and a drink,” she winked. “No soda, and ONE souvenir...I can’t promise I won’t give her fries, though…” Jade teased.


“HOW are you gonna go to the zoo, Jade?”


“Private tour...and security...Two. One for Olivia…” she smiled.


Hannah sighed “Thank you, Jade…”




Hannah closed the door behind Jade and her daughter, closing her eyes briefly. It was the first time she had been home alone in the two weeks since she had last seen JC- Since he found out who Olivia’s father was.


They had exchanged a few brief text messages, mostly checking in or saying hi, but things were strained. He hadn’t mentioned seeing her again, and she didn’t want to push.


She made her way to the kitchen island, pulling her sweater around her a little tighter. She picked up the bottle of whiskey, staring at it.


“Hello, old friend…” she spoke to herself. Grabbing a glass and twisting out the cap, she poured herself a generous two fingers and brought it to her lips, taking a sip.


It had been a while, and she winced slightly before letting out a satisfied breath. 


Grabbing the bag of chips, she made her way over to the living room, pulling a blanket over herself and flipping on the tv. 


***


Running a hand through his hair, JC sat barefoot on his bed, notebook and pen in hand. He had been fighting with himself for two weeks, holed up mostly at home; working through his feelings.


Things could have been so much different. If he had just asked...If he had just told her how he felt-How he really felt about her back then.


Even after they broke up, he stayed away. So had she. Except that one time. The one chance they had to change their minds.


He hadn’t wanted to ruin her chance at a career. He didn’t want to push her.


So much time wasted. Olivia could have been his. Instead, Hannah had been another of Andy’s victims. He hated the idea of her struggling to raise a baby on her own. He hated the idea of her with him, even once. The very thought of it made his skin crawl.


True to form, he was taking his frustrations to music, scribbling down memories and feelings in the form of lyrics. 


“You’re a grown ass man. Pull yourself together.Oh don’t go messing this up. Cause you’re making plans, giving me a hangover...Boy, when you talk too much. I ne-e-ever said I’m in love with you. But I ca-a-an’t take back all the things that lovers do…”


JC stared at the page. All the things that lovers do. Lovers. Hannah was so much more than that. She deserved to know that. And he wanted to be the one to tell her. The one to show her.


Then there was her daughter. Olivia was part of Hannah. She hadn’t asked for the father she got, but did he want to get in the middle of that? Would Hannah even want him to?

How could he be with her and NOT know her daughter?


Sighing to himself, he threw his pen down and made his way to the kitchen. Digging through a top cabinet, he found what he was looking for. It hadn’t been touched in years, but he knew it was still there. 


Pulling it down, he searched for a glass, settling for the first coffee mug he found and pouring himself a neat shot. He took a breath, shaking his head as he downed it, surprised at how smoothly it went down. Pouring himself another one, he pulled out his phone, scrolling down to her number, His thumb hovered above it as he took his second shot.


**

Hannah looked down from Netflix at the sound of her phone ringing. Setting the remote down, she picked it up and took a breath as she saw “Jace” flash across the screen. Thankful she had only had two whiskeys, she answered. 


“Jace?”


She heard a sigh on the other end “Hi Annie…”


Annie. Not “Hannah.” It was a promising sign.


Hannah bit her lip. “What’s up?”


“We should um...We should talk…”


Maybe it wasn’t as promising as she thought.


“Yeah...I guess we should.”


“When are you free?”


Hannah sighed. Not wanting to sound too eager, and full of junk food and feelings, she mentally scanned her week. Daycare days. Her meeting schedule was light this week, but she wanted to keep Olivia on a routine. 


“Tomorrow or Thursday. Olivia will be at daycare…”


JC nodded on the other end. “Ok. Do you wanna have lunch?”


“Is this a lunch conversation...or do you just wanna come over…”


There was a pause. 


“I can come over…” he reasoned.


**

Hannah answered her door with a breath, met by a slightly scruffy JC in a baseball cap, t-shirt, and jeans. He bit his lip as he stepped inside, handing her a fresh cut bouquet of flowers and a stuffed animal. 

“Hey…” he looked at her softly. 


Hannah fought and lost her urge to smile, soft eyes as she looked back at him. “Hey…”


“Hannah…” He found himself at a sudden loss for words, moving instead to wrap her in a hug, his head finding the crook of her neck. 


Gifts still in hand, she moved her arms up around to his back, closing her eyes as they embraced. “Jace…” she answered in an unsure tone. 


“I’m sorry I walked out...I...Well,” he took a breath “I freaked out…”


Hannah nodded “Understandable…”  


She held up the stuffed animal “Minnie Mouse?”


He grinned shyly, scratching the back of his neck “Uhhh...Yeah...That’s for Olivia…”


Hannah smiled “Thank you...Wanna sit down?” Hannah made her way to the living room as JC followed her lead.


Seated on the couch, Hannah was the first to speak.


“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about Andy...I was in a weird place and I-”


“Annie...Shh.” JC stopped her “It doesn’t matter.”


“It doesn’t?”


“No... Well, it does...But I’m not letting him ruin things for me again. It was a long time ago. I lost you once, Hannah. I’m not gonna lose you again…”


“You’re not?” Hannah blinked at him. 


JC shook his head, eyes looking into hers “No...Not if I can help it…”


Hannah’s breath caught in her throat as she fought back tears “You can help it…”


Smiling, JC leaned forward, one hand on her cheek as he moved in to kiss her. Hannah felt a tear roll down her cheek as she kissed him back, wiping it as she pulled away. 


JC’s expression was content as he moved her hand away from her face to get a good look at her. 


“Annie...I love you.”


Hannah grinned as one more tear fell. “I love you too, Jace…”


JC sighed, a happy sigh, as he considered his next words.


“There is one thing…” he started carefully.


“What’s that…?” Hannah held her breath. 


He bit his lip nervously before answering. “I wanna meet Olivia…”


Hannah’s eyes widened just a bit, her heart picking up at his words. It was a big step, and a lot to consider given what had just happened. 


“Jace...I want you to know her, but...Now?”


“Annie, look...She’s the most important person in your life. I know she has a father. I know it’s complicated. But now that I know,  I don’t wanna be the guy who is taking up her mom’s time behind her back.”


Hannah smiled “She’s 4, JC. She doesn’t realize…”


“Maybe not...But I do…”


Hannah stared at him, loving him a little more in this moment. She sighed, nodding at him. 


“Yeah... You’re right…”


“ I mean, not saying it has to happen tomorrow. I just...Would like to get to know her sooner rather than later…”


Hannah smiled as she considered it. “Yeah...I’d like that, too…”

 

Chapter End Notes:

The song JC is writing in this chapter is one he actually wrote! 

"Never Said" by Gostan

 

https://open.spotify.com/album/0NTbOQuvCqxJZPUTyxVGcs

 

It is featured on the soon to be shared "Annie and Jace" playlist. ;)



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story