JC smiled as he shoved a forkful of pancake into his mouth. It was earlier than he used to be up, and he was on his second cup of coffee, but he had no complaints. Weekend breakfast had become an easy way to spend time with two of his favorite ladies.


He glanced behind him to Hannah, focused on flipping another batch of pancakes and sipping her own coffee. Her hair was down and half wavy, no product, no styling, and her baggie tunic sweater, yoga pants, and slippers were the ultimate “mom” outfit. He smiled to himself as he lifted his coffee cup to his lips. She was comfortable. So was he. It had taken over a decade, but they knew where they were. They could be themselves around each other. Finally. He let out a soft sigh as he looked to the other end of the table, where Olivia was dancing in her booster seat to the music coming from the tv, her pink safety fork in her hand, dripping syrup onto the table.


“Livie bug…” he smirked. 


She turned her head to him, an inquiring look on her face.


“Eat your food...” he gestured to her fork. 


She shoved the dripping bite into her mouth, an innocent smile as she chewed.


Hearing him, Hannah smiled to herself as she flipped the last pancake and reached for her cup of coffee. She wiped her hands off after a rinse and sat down opposite JC. Glancing at Olivia’s plate and the syrup mark on the table, she stood back up with a sigh and made her way to the remote control on the coffee table. “Ok Livie...That’s enough tv. Let’s finish breakfast, ok?”


“Mommy I wanna watch it!” she pouted.


Hannah shook her head “You have a big day today, baby...Daddy is taking you to the museum!”


Olivia frowned at her. “Nuh uh…”


“YES, huh. It’s gonna be so much fun! You get to paint a car...and play dress up...and play games…”


Hannah was hopeful, but worried. Andy had finally committed to spending time with Olivia...a week off schedule. She had been hesitant to mess with her routine, especially with how many times Andy had flaked, but she didn’t want to be the reason Olivia didn’t have a relationship with her father. 


Olivia was quiet for a moment. “Can I paint it pink?”


Hannah smiled “Yes, baby...You can paint it pink…”


“You and Josh come too!” she reasoned.


JC sighed “Not this time, cutie. Just you and your daddy…”


Olivia looked to Hannah “Mommy…?”


Hannah bit her lip and crouched beside Olivia “Baby we can go somewhere NEXT weekend, ok? Your daddy is excited to see you.”


Olivia sighed in acceptance. “Ok. “


“Olivia... “ JC smiled softly at her. 


She looked up at him, sad eyes staring. 


JC puffed out his cheeks, crossing his eyes. 


Her eyes shifting, her face lit up as she giggled loudly. She mimicked his expression as he laughed with her. 


“THAT’S better…” he grinned. 

**


Hannah sat with Olivia on the couch, tv turned back on as they waited. Andy was 20 minutes late. 


Almost getting pulled into the story as he sat next to them, JC stared at the tv, annoyed that Andy was doing this to his daughter. Again. 


As all three of them silently gave up, Hannah looked up as she heard a car pulling up outside. 

Sighing, she stood up “Ok Livie. Backpack on, Daddy’s here…”


Olivia got off the couch slowly, lazily pulling the straps of her princess backpack over her shoulders.


“Mommy I’m tired…” she started. 


Hannah nodded. “You can nap in daddy’s car, ok?” She held out her hand for Olivia to take it, as JC looked on. 


“Bye livie bug...Have fun…” JC smiled at her encouragingly.


“Bye Josh” she answered him quietly


Hannah smiled softly back at him as she led Olivia to the door, opening it, they stepped outside as Andy approached the porch. 


“Hey baby girl!” he smiled, arms out for a hug Olivia silently declined.


“Hi Daddy,” she answered quietly, still holding on to Hannah’s hand.


“Ok Livie you got kitty?”


She nodded slowly. 


Hannah squeezed her hand gently. “Ok honey go ‘head. See you Monday, ok? Don’t forget you can call me if you need to, ok?”


“Mommy I wanna stay…” Olivia opened her eyes wide at her mom. 


Hannah sighed. “Baby it’s ok. You’re gonna love the museum…” 


Olivia stood in place, not moving any closer to Andy. 



“Come on sweetheart let’s go...Got a whole day planned!” Andy extended his hand with a weak smile. 


Olivia looked up at Hannah with puppy eyes and shook her head.


“Come on baby..Go with daddy...You are gonna have so much fun!”


“No! Josh!”


Hannah squatted to meet her at her level “Love, you’ll see Josh next week, ok?”


Olivia crossed her arms “No!”


Hannah looked at Andy, her eyes tired “She was expecting you last weekend...Give her a minute…”


Andy rolled his eyes ‘Hannah..I TOLD YOU...Something came up. I can’t just blow off clients.”


Hannah bit her lip to keep from saying what she wanted to say “Andy-  I SAID...Give her a minute. She’s 4.”


“We don’t have all day here…” he replied. “Olivia...come on...let’s go…” he grabbed for her arm suddenly, pulling slightly.


“NOOOO!!! “ She pulled back scared, losing her balance and falling onto the tile of the porch. 

She screamed as she held her scraped hand “MOMMYYYYY” The tears came fast and Hannah reacted. “Ok….Ok baby girl its ok come on…” She picked her up effortlessly, carrying her toward the house. 


“Hannah! Hannah come on! Olivia! Daddy’s sorry come on…”


JC’s eyes questioned as Hannah rushed inside the house. 


“What did he do….?” JC’s voice was low.


“Nothing. He just scared her…”


“Scared her how…” JC’s eyes widened.


“Josh!” she looked at him with thick tears.


‘Heyyyy livie whats wrong?” his voice softened.


“Josh...I..stay..here..” she managed between sobs.


“Ok...Ok…” he brushed back her hair…”


Giving Hannah a look, he started toward the front door “I’ll be right back…”


“JACE..DON’T…”


“Hannah…” his look warned.


Andy was climbing back into his car when JC made it to the driveway. “Hey! “


He looked up to smirk at JC “You won, man..I don’t have time for this shit…”


“Excuse me?”


“I show up to spend time with my daughter and you two have her trained to hate me...fucking bullshit…”


JC’s eyes narrowed “You did that yourself, man..”


“She’s not your kid...She’s MINE. I bust my ass to pay child support and I get here and she can’t even get in the damn car?”


“What the hell is your problem, man?!...You scared the shit out of her…”


Andy huffed “Scared...I’M HER DAD…”


“Then act like it. Maybe show up on time once in awhile.”


“Fuck you, Chasez! Some of us still have a career to manage. “


JC tightened his jaw, absorbing the blow of that statement. “Look, asshole...You can screw ME over all you want...You did a GREAT job of that. I’m a grown man. Don’t you DARE screw over that little girl. You don’t get to screw over your kid. I flipped a table at you once. DON’T make me do it again.”


“We’ll see who’s screwing over who…” Andy scowled “I’ll be back next weekend. Have fun with MY kid until then...and tell Hannah to drop the fucking attitude.”


“Get the fuck out of the driveway…” JC’s eyes were fire. 


Andy met JC’s stare, snickering to himself as he started the engine and drove off.




Inside the house, Hannah sat on the couch, worry on her face.


“Did you kill him?”


JC’s gaze was serious”Not this time…Where is she?”


“Taking a nap. That took a lot out of her …”Hannah looked in front of her. It was clear she was upset “Jace...You can’t do that…”


“Do what?”


“Threaten him like that...Yell at him...Whatever..”


‘The guy is an ASS, Hannah...You really want him treating her like that?”


Hannah sighed “Of COURSE I don’t...But I have years of dealing with him under my belt…”


“Well it doesn’t seem like it’s getting through to him…”


“Why do you care so much?”


“That’s a stupid question, Annie...You know it is…”


“Jace...She’s not your concern…”


“...I wasn’t my parents’ concern, either…” JC gave her a pointed look.


“DON’T do that.” She shot back.


“Hannah look I’m not just gonna do nothing…”


“I can handle it, Jace!”


“I didn’t say you couldn’t…Hannah I would NEVER hurt her...Ever. If I’m around she’s part of this …” he gestured between himself and Hannah.


Hannah sighed “I can’t change him. I’ve tried. I’ve tried SO hard..I’ve given him SO many chances to prove her wrong. And its MY fault. She didn’t ask for any of this…”


Her eyes were red, ready to spill over as her voice cracked.


“Annie…” he sat down next to her. 


“I’ve done a LOT of stupid shit, Jace...a LOT...But...HIM? That’s the stupidest thing I have ever done...But it gave me the best thing I have ever had…”


“I know…But it ISN’T your fault” he rubbed her leg softly. 


“I wish…” She was crying quietly now “Well...I just wish it was someone else...I wish she had the father she deserves…” 


“I wish she was mine…” JC spoke softly. They were words that fell out. Words that had taken him by surprise. 


Hannah looked at him, breaking, and nodded. She couldn’t speak as she collapsed into his arms. 


JC hugged her tightly to him as her whole body shook, fending off his own tears. “I’m here now, Hannah…”


Hannah slowed her breathing, pulling back to wipe her face “Sorry...I...Uh…” she blinked.


JC shook his head “Nothing to be sorry about…”


He stared at her, his expression changing as his eyes twinkled at her. “She changed you, Annie…”


Hannah smiled, wiping her face with the sleeve of her shirt. “Yeah...she did,” she nodded “She taught me how to love… really love... She saved me…”


JC smiled “I’m glad she did...You changed me, too…”


Hannah shook her head “No I didn’t...You’re just stubborn, Jace…”


“What…?”


“You’re afraid to love, too…”


He sighed, moving closer to her to softly grab her face. “Not anymore…” 

His eyes were stone, the darkest shade they got.


Hannah bit her lip. “So what did you say to him…?” she asked.


JC sighed “That he doesn’t have the right to scare and screw over his daughter...and to get the fuck out of your driveway…”


Hannah smirked “Really?”


JC remained serious “Yeah...It’s the truth…”


“You kicked him out of the driveway?”


“I guess I did…”


“Why…”


“Because he was upsetting both of you…”


“He was leaving, Jace…”


“Yeah, well...He was getting off too easily…”


Hannah smiled, noticing his tone. “Huh…” She stared at him in wonder.


“What…” His eyes were still on fire. 


“Protective…” Hannah whispered.


“Hannah-”


Her lips cut him off, crawling into his lap to kiss him deeply. He responded happily, pulling her into him as his hands gripped her sides. 


“Mmmm what are you-” he mumbled against her.


“Shutup” she whispered. “I don’t know…”


He pulled away swiftly, holding her at length briefly with flexed arms “Are you...Turned on because I yelled at him?” his eyes were amused. 


Hannah blushed “Maybe…”


JC grinned playfully “Noted.” He moved back to kiss her, shifting as his excitement moved south. Noticing his movement, Hannah grinned against him, grinding herself closer into him.

His hands moved down, brushing the inside of her waistband as hers slid up under his shirt. 

Time jumped as they pulled each other’s clothes off, JC pushing her gently back against the arm of the sofa. 


He wasted no time as he adjusted her leg to thrust into her, a low grunt as he closed his eyes. 


“Mami…” he whispered. 


Her arm shot up to place one hand over his mouth as her eyes opened briefly “Shhhhh….shut up…” Her eyes gestured upstairs, their deep green issuing him a quiet warning. His eyes smiled under her hand as he gently nipped at her palm. He bucked his head free and her hand fell to his shoulder, gripping tightly. Her head fell back slightly, mouth fixed in a silent scream, biting her lip as he sped up and pushed harder. 


Only able to respond with their bodies, they both leaned into the pleasure as they gave in to release. Locked up in each other, they breathed together in rhythm. 


JC found a grin as he settled in on top of her, quickly kissing her neck as he whispered in her ear “You haven’t changed THAT much, have you…”


Hannah’s mouth fell into a playful grin as she looked back at him “Not when you’re around…”


“Then I’m gonna have to stick around awhile…” he squeezed her side.


She laughed as she looked up at him “That’s the plan…”


They got dressed quickly as JC settled down on the couch next to her.



Hannah kissed him quickly before standing up. 


“I need more coffee. You?”


JC stood up, following her to the kitchen island. “Definitely.”


Hannah grabbed their mugs and made her way to pour them both a cup as JC watched her. Three months in, but on a second round. It didn’t feel like a new relationship, because it wasn’t. This was where they were always meant to be. He smiled softly to himself as he realized how much time they had both wasted being apart. He fought his own thoughts as a familiar creeping feeling sunk in. Fear. The same fear that had snuck up on him the first time he realized he was in love with her. The same fear that had kept him from moving things forward the first time. It was even stronger this time, and he sighed softly to himself as he realized it wasn’t fear at all...It was actually excitement. 


“SHIT,” Hannah’s voice broke him of his daydream. 

“What?” he grabbed his cup of coffee from her as she bit her lip. 


“Well...Andy was supposed to have Olivia. I have a meeting with my editor today, and…” she blushed “I’m meeting a publicist because Jade insisted I at least hear out the idea…”


JC grinned “Going big time, Annie…” He sipped his coffee as his eyes danced at her with pride.

Hannah let out a breath “Jace...I have to reschedule. I mean I can’t call my mom this short notice…”


JC set his coffee cup on the island. “I’ll watch her…”


“What? Jace that’s...It’s fine. They will understand.”


“Annie...It’s fine. Just a couple hours, right?”


Hannah’s eyes shifted in thought “Like...3 or 4?”


JC nodded. “Ok. I can do 3 or 4”


Hannah stared at him “...Really?”


JC chuckled “Hannah. She’s a kid, not a wild animal.”


Hannah laughed “Depends on the day…”


“Don’t you have like...a notebook?”


“What?”


“A notebook...or like...a book or something...You know like for babysitters?”


Hannah smirked “You watch too many movies...and yes…” She turned around to a drawer behind her in the kitchen and pulled out a black business folder. 


“Emergency contacts...Favorite things to watch...Things she doesn’t like. First aid kit is in the hall closet.”


JC smirked. “Uh huh…” He grabbed the folder from her.


“Hannah….” he stared directly into her eyes. “We’ll be fine. “


Hannah sighed as she grabbed the island with both hands. “Thank you…”


Truth be told, she was nervous. Olivia liked JC, but this was different. She would be alone with him for the first time. She wasn’t sure who would have a harder time. Still, if he was going to be around, it would have to happen eventually. She smiled as she considered how quickly he had offered, and how eager he seemed to step in and help.


“Don’t give her TOO much sugar, ok?”

 

“We’ll see what happens...Go get ready.” he smiled “And you should probably tell her…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story