JC smiled as he watched a now professional Hannah come downstairs with a half awake Olivia at her side. 


“Hey sleepyhead…” he teased Olivia. 


She rubbed her eyes as Hannah led her over to where JC was sitting. 


“So you’re gonna be a good girl while Mommy is at work, right Livie? “ Hannah looked at her.


“Yes, Mommy…” she yawned. 


“Olivia, I think we have time to watch a movie…” JC smiled.


Her eyes lit up as she smiled “TROLLS!”


JC chuckled as he looked to Hannah “Yeah? You like that one?”


Olivia nodded enthusiastically. “UH HUH!”


Hannah smirked “You wanna tell him who your favorite troll is…” She bit her lip, knowing exactly what she was going to say. 


“BRANCH!” Olivia shouted.


JC bit his lip “Oh really? Why is he your favorite?”


Olivia got a little shy, looking to Hannah before answering him “Um...Cuz the way he sings and dances…”


JC was beaming. “Ahhh ok. Yeah he’s pretty cool. Ya know...I’m friends with Branch…”


Hannah’s eyes went wide, and she covered her mouth to stifle a laugh. 


‘YOU ARE…?!”  Olivia stared at him, confused.


JC nodded. “I am...Maybe we can call him later…”


“But he’s a troll…” she reasoned with him.


JC chuckled “Kinda…Do you wanna talk to him?”


Her little jaw was on the floor “PLEASE PLEASE?!”


Hannah winked at him before smiling at Olivia “You have to behave, though, ok? “


JC grinned at her “Um...Yeah...He only talks to kids who behave…”


Hannah smirked at him. “Ok baby...Give mommy a kiss...I’ll see you later, ok?


Olivia stretched up to kiss Hannah’s cheek before she left. “Bye mommy…”


As soon as the door closed, Olivia turned to JC. “Can we call Branch now?”


JC grinned at her “After the movie, Livie Bug...:”


**

JC laughed quietly to himself as he watched Olivia jump off the couch to dance right along with Queen Poppy and the whole Trolls crew. Seizing the moment, he got up himself, setting the bowl of popcorn on the coffee table, and doing a two-step next to her. 


Olivia stopped for a moment to stare at him before giggling. “Ok jump!” she smiled at him, directing him to dance more like the characters onscreen.


JC chuckled as he did a little jump with Olivia, then clapped as the credits rolled. 


Olivia grinned up at him “Ok! Can we call Branch?”


JC chuckled. “You sure you’re ready…”


Olivia nodded “Uh huh…”


“Ooookkaaayyy… “ JC teased as he pulled his phone out of his pants and scrolled. 


Olivia watched him with wide eyes as he waited for an answer. 


“Hey...Yeah uh...Branch?” his eyes were on Olivia.


“Uhhh...Dude...You ok?” Justin’s voice questioned on the other end, pulling his phone away to make sure it was actually JC.


JC bit his lip “Yep. Just here with Olivia ...Hannah’s Olivia…” he clarified.


Justin grinned as he started to understand. “Ohhhhhh...Does she wanna talk to Branch…?” 


JC smiled as Olivia started to get more excited. “Uh huh...Are you busy?” he asked carefully. 


Justin chuckled on the other end “Mannnn...I hope this gets you serious brownie points...put her on…”


JC smiled at Olivia, hitting speaker phone and holding the phone out to her. “Livie bug...He wants to talk to you…”


Olivia was smiling ear to ear as she took the phone with both hands. “Branch?”


“Hello Olivia. How are you today?”


Olivia’s eyes lit up as she looked at JC” HI BRANCH! We watched your movie!”


Justin smiled on the other end “Wow! Thank you! Do you like it? What’s your favorite part?”


“Um...Um...When everything changes colors!” she answered.


“Oh that was fun. Olivia do you like to sing and dance?”


Olivia was practically bouncing “Yes! I can play piano. And um...and sing the song at the end…”


“Whoa! That’s pretty cool. Wanna sing it with me?”


Olivia gasped “Ok!”


“Ok...Sing after me, ok? Nothing I can see but you when you…”


“DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE” Olivia started to move her feet. 


Justin was beaming on the other end “All these things I shouldn’t do but you…”


“DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE…”


Justin started clapping. “WOW Olivia, you are a really good singer! “ He was met with Olivia’s giggling on the other end. “Olivia, are you a good girl?”


“Yes!” she answered.


‘Oh good...Well, listen...I have to go help Queen Poppy with something...Can I talk to you later?”


“Ok. Bye Branch!” 


“Goodbye, Olivia. Nice to meet you!”


Olivia smiled as she handed the phone back to JC. Clicking off speaker, he held the phone to his ear. 


“GAWD DAMN, C...She’s adorable…”


JC grinned “Yeah I know...Thank you, BRANCH...Call you later?”


Justin chuckled “You got it, man…”


JC hung up the call and found Olivia wrapped around his leg, hugging him “Thank you thank you thank you!” she exclaimed.


Reaching one hand down to brush back her hair, he smiled “No problem, cutie...What do you want to do now?”


Olivia stood back to think “Tea party?” she asked.


JC chuckled “Ok. Where should I sit?” he asked.


“On the couch…” she answered him matter-of-factly before running off to grab her tea set. She grabbed Kitty, propping the stuffed animal next to JC and putting a plastic cup in front of her, and then set to work pouring a pretend cup of tea before handing it to JC and smiling.


JC held the plastic cup up to his lips. “Mmmm...this is good tea…”


Olivia smiled “No! It’s wine! Like mommy”


JC choked on air “WHAT?!”


Olivia giggled at his face “Like mommy drinks. Wine juice!”


JC grinned “Wine juice, huh…? What color?”


“Ummmmm...red...No pink!”


JC chuckled and made a mental note to pick up a few bottles of Rose. “What else does mommy like?”


“Ummmmm...ME!” She held her hands up in presentation.


JC laughed “Yeah.” He nodded “What else?’


Olivia got a cute look on her face “Mommy likes you!”


JC felt himself melt “Well guess what...I like mommy, too…”


“You DO?” she chirped. 


He nodded. “I do...a lot.”


With all the seriousness and focus of her age, Olivia stared at him for a second before gasping “YOU WANNA MEET MY DOLLIE?”


“Of course I do!” JC exclaimed.


Olivia walked over and picked up one of her dolls, a smiling Barbie type doll in a glittery pink dress with a tiara on top of her curls. . 


“Who’s this?” JC smiled.


Olivia giggled. “Princess!”


JC smiled. “Does she have a prince?”


Olivia nodded emphatically and ran to pick up the matching Prince doll. 


“He loves her,” she exclaimed, holding up the doll for him to see.


JC smiled, a thought entering his head. It was something he had been thinking about for a few weeks. Something he knew he needed to do, but he couldn’t do it if Olivia wasn’t ok with it.

Watching her now, with her dolls, he bit his lip, considering how much she really understood about a prince and a princess. He took a deep breath, deciding to test the water.


JC gently took Olivia’s hands in his as he looked her in the eye.


“Olivia...Did you know I love your mommy?”


Olivia smiled and nodded adorably  “Yes!”


JC grinned back at her “Well what if I wanted to make mommy MY princess?”


Olivia studied him before replying “Can we live in a castle?!”


JC laughed “Maybe not a castle...but my house is way up on a hill…”


“Cool!” Olivia jumped up and down.


“Livie-bug...Can I ask your mommy to be my princess forever?”


“Like Cinder-ewwa?”


He smiled “Yeah sweet girl...Like Cinderella…”


Olivia nodded and went to hug him “Oh! Yes! Okay!”


JC held her to him and let the breath he had been holding out, smiling from ear to ear. 


“Okay…”


**

JC leaned back on the couch as Olivia poured him and her dolls a second “round of wine juice.” 

He wasn’t sure how he was going to explain having “happy hour” with her to Hannah, but she was the cutest little hostess he had ever seen. 


“Thank you, Livie…” He smiled as she handed him an empty cup. 


She set the plastic teapot down and took a sip from her own cup before looking at him.


“Josh...When is mommy coming back?” she asked.


“Uhhh…” he checked his smart watch “Should be pretty soon…” he answered with a soft look on his face.


“When?” she repeated.


JC bit his lip. “When she finishes work, cutie...Not too much longer.”


“No...now…” her breathing started to pick up.


“Livie bug, I promise, she’ll be back soon.”


JC watched her get fidgety as her mouth turned downward into a frown. 


Her voice was quiet as her lip started to pout...“I want mommy…”


JC’s eyes widened as he looked at her. He had seen this before, though he had never been alone for it.  As he opened his mouth to speak, her face twisted and it happened.


“Livie…”


“I….WANT...MOMMMMYYYY….”


JC froze. What was he supposed to do?


Olivia was in full wail now. Thinking quickly, JC scanned the room and spotted kitty where she had left her on the other end of the couch. He moved quickly to grab her favorite stuffed animal and knelt down to hand it to her.


“Heyyy...Hey its ok..Mommy is gonna be back soon, I promise.” He offered the stuffed cat to her as a peace offering. She quickly snatched it and stopped crying briefly to look at him before starting again.


Burying her face in kitty, her small body shook with sobs and he did the only thing he could think to do, hugging her carefully. 


“No! Mommy!” She wiggled away.


“Ok...Ok!” he put his hands up. “Livie...Livie bug ...Hey...Hey can you look at me?”


She shook her head defiantly, screaming louder “MOMMY!”


JC took a breath, steadying himself against his racing heart. He felt himself in an almost dizzy panic. Hannah was gonna kill him. If Olivia didn’t kill him first.


Placing a tentative hand on the back of his neck, he had an idea.


“...I’ve got sunshiiiine….on a cloudy dayyy…” he sang softly.


Olivia’s sobs slowed as she pulled her head just above kitty to study him.



“...When it’s cold outsiiide...I’ve got the month of Mayyy…..” he continued. 


Olivia hiccuped, her cries turning into measured breathing, as she tried to figure out what he was doing.


JC smiled, calming down “Iiii guess...You say...what can make me feel this wayy...My giiirrrrl…..”


“I’M YOUR GI-RL?” Olivia looked up surprised.


JC laughed, tickling her arm. “Yeah livie bug...You’re my girl…”


Olivia giggled as he tickled her again. “More singing!”


“Talkin’ bout...myyyyyy giiiirrrrl” he sang louder, holding his arms out to invite her for a hug.


Olivia moved kitty to one hand as she shuffled toward him and wrapped her little arms around him. Picking her up to move to the song with her he continued.


“I’ve got soooo much hoonnney...the bees envy me…”


Olivia shook her head “NO BEES!” She looked at him with wide eyes.


He was caught off guard, grinning at her “Ok...No bees…”


***

Half an hour later, Hannah let herself into the house, a slight panic washing over her. Why wasn’t he answering her texts or calls?! Had something happened?


Dropping her bag and heading into the living room, her breathing returned to normal at what she saw. 


She stopped to stare at them on the couch. JC slumped against the left couch cushion, a curled up Olivia nestled into his side. Both of them passed out. 


Hannah felt the sting in her eyes as they filled up, silently mocking herself. She had never been this sappy before becoming a mom.


The coffee table was a mess, covered in popcorn and toys, but right now she didn’t care. 


She walked over slowly, lightly squeezing JC’s shoulder.


“Jace” she whispered.


He stirred but didn’t wake up.


“JC…” she tried again. His eyes slowly blinked half open.


“Hmmm…? Oh...Hey…” he smiled lazily, whispering back to her. Looking down at the weight on his body his mouth twisted into a smile “She wore me out.”


Hannah heard herself giggle quietly “She does that. Was she...ok?”


He smiled “We had a little meltdown but...yeah...she’s fine.”


Hannah’s eyes went wide “What happened?”


JC opened his eyes a little more to look at her “She just missed you. I took care of it.” He was quite proud of himself.


Hannah smirked. He was so cute. 


“Oh yeah? What did you do?”


“Sang to her” he beamed as he looked down at Olivia, who was still knocked out.


Hannah’s eyes glistened as she smiled “Well now she’ll love you forever…”


“I hope so…” he trailed off. 


“Maybe I will too...Thank you for watching her…” She sat down next to him and kissed him softly.


JC grinned “Is that my payment? Best gig ever…”


Hannah grinned “Partial payment. Kid friendly version...I’ll take her up to her room.”


JC shook his head lightly “I got it…”


Hannah blushed “You sure?”


“Yeah...We’re buds…”


JC shifted slowly, sliding himself away from Olivia as he adjusted his arms to cradle and lift her into him. Hannah watched, trying not to breathe as she scrunched her face, just waiting for Olivia to wake up. Her eyes popped open briefly, and they both paused as she mumbled something softly and fell back asleep in his arms. JC’s mouth twisted into a smile as he carefully made his way up the stairs to her room. 


With one hand, he pulled back the comforter on her bed, sliding her carefully inside before he pulled it up over her. A satisfied sigh, he smirked as she slept soundly. 


“Pretty sure I love you, Livie…” he whispered.


“And I love you…” a whisper came from behind him. He turned to find Hannah in the doorway. 


He smiled softly as he walked toward her, closing the door behind him as they made their way into the hallway.


“That little girl…” he shook his head as he slid his arms around her.


“What about her?” Hannah grinned.


“She’s...a little you, Annie…” 


Hannah giggled “Yeah, well...Thank God, right…”


“Yeah,” he smiled before dipping his head to kiss her. 


“Come on...You look like you could use a nap yourself,” she took his hand, leading him toward her bedroom “...And there’s the matter of payment.”


JC grinned “Both sound perfect…”


They made their way to the bed, hands finding each other as they deepened their kiss. 


“Mmm...How did your meetings go?” JC asked her.


Hannah smiled. “They were good. Editor is liking what she sees...just some minor tweaks…”


“...And the publicist?”


Hannah let out a breath “She’s really nice...professional...knows her stuff...I just don’t know if I’m ready for that, yet...or if I even need one. Feels a little overwhelming.”


JC kissed the top of her head. “You got this, mama. Whatever you’re comfortable with, but I’ve read your stuff...You’re gonna be someone people know. I mean, they already do…”


Hannah blushed as she looked at him. “Maybe...That’s not really me, though…”


“I know…” he smiled at her softly. His eyes were half open, lulling her into relaxation with them.


“Jace…” she yawned. “I’m beat…”


“Shhh,” he smiled as he pulled her into him. “Me too.” 

 

Hannah smirked softly at him as he watched her eyes close. Feeling himself not too far behind, he buried his head in the pillow next to hers, smiling as he remembered Olivia’s blessing from earlier. This was how he wanted to spend the rest of his life: with her and her daughter. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story