Hannah smiled as she hopped into the passenger seat of JC’s jeep. Leaning over for a quick kiss hello, she smiled at his messy waves and sunglasses.


“‘Sup, Wipeout…?” she teased.

JC ripped off his sunglasses to stare at her “You did NOT just…”


“Would you prefer Clarence?” she smirked.


He gave her a side look as he pulled out of the driveway “I’d prefer you shutup…” he smirked back, staring at her own loose waves and maxi dress. “Doing a photoshoot at the beach, Annie?”


“WEAK,” she laughed “I look cute and you know it…”


A slow grin spread across JC’s face as he reached one hand over and quickly pulled loose the top ties of the bikini Hannah had on under her dress.


“HEY!” she squealed as she reached her arms up to catch them.


JC’s laugh was satisfied. “Keep talking, Hannah…”


Passing the usual exit to the beach, Hannah snapped her head in JC’s direction.


“Um...You missed the turn…”


JC smiled softly “No I didn’t…”


“Jace...Where are we going?”


“The beach…” he replied simply.


“Which beach…” Hannah narrowed her eyes a little.


“One that has water…” he smirked.


“Jace…”


“...And seals …”


“SEALS?” Hannah gave him a confused look.


“Uh huh...seals…” he repeated. 


Looking toward the road, Hannah looked ahead of them, scanning the road signs as they blurred by. They were on the 405.


Hannah’s jaw dropped open as the corner of her mouth twisted up. “Jace...Are you taking me to San Diego?”


JC grinned softly “Maybe…”


Hannah fell back against the seat, smile plastered on her face. 


“Why?” she asked softly.


JC shrugged, eyes still on the road “Because I know you miss it, and because I meant what I said...I want to know about everything I missed…”


**


Hannah took a deep breath in as she closed the passenger side door. She closed her eyes as the salty ocean air brought back memories. Walking to her side of the car, JC slid his arms around her from behind. 


“Whatcha thinking?” hs spoke softly near her ear. 


“Been awhile,” she smiled. “Feels the same, though...But now you’re here…” she squeezed his hand.


The sound of seals barking interrupted their thoughts.


“And so are they…” JC gestured his head toward the sound. 


Hannah grinned back, pulling his hand toward the rocks. “Oh my GOD...I love those guys!” 


They stood at the railing, and JC was grateful for the slightly overcast day that made the beach not so crowded. Hannah’s eyes were lit up watching the seals and sea lions do their thing. 


“Pretty cool they can just hang out like this…” JC smiled.


“Yeah…” Hannah bit her lip. “Used to come down here all the time as a little girl…”


“With your dad,” JC finished her thought “I remember…”


Hannah blushed, nudging his shoulder with her head. “Came here a few times when I moved, too...Great for clearing my head.”


JC smiled “It’s gorgeous…”


They laughed as the seals shuffled around, oblivious to any humans snapping pictures of them or children imitating their calls. Silently enjoying the scenery and each other’s company, it was peace they had both been craving.


“Wanna take a walk?” JC kissed the side of Hannah’s head.


“Okay…” she breathed. 


They made their way along the sea wall, Hannah sliding off her sandals to feel the sand in her toes. JC chuckled. She was like a kid, so carefree. He slid his hand into hers as they came closer to the carved rock cove. 


“Wanna check out the caves?” JC’s eyes were dancing. 


Hannah grinned. She hadn’t gone under the cove in years. 


“Absolutely!”


After paying the small entrance fee at the gift shop, they made their way carefully down a small set of wooden stairs onto the rocks below. There were gentle waves lapping up into the clearing as JC held Hannah’s hand. 


“Wow…” she breathed, looking out as the afternoon sun hit the arch they were standing under. The ocean sparkled as they looked at it. With no one else around, JC pulled her close, lips brushing hers. Her arms went around his waist as she kissed him back, smiling against him. 


“Turn around…” she whispered, reaching for her phone. 


JC grinned as he did, moving his arm around her shoulder as she snapped a selfie with the water in the background. Their silhouettes were cast in shadow as Hannah captured the moment.


Turning back around to listen to the sound of the seagulls and the waves, JC leaned against the wooden railing in front of them. 


Speaking softly, he looked out in front of him.


“Hannah...Are you happy?”



She smiled, a slight blush in her cheeks “Jace…”


“I mean it...Are you happy...with me?”


“You’re asking NOW...In this PERFECT place?” She shook her head “You have me at a disadvantage.


He chuckled lightly. 


“Yes...I’m happy right now. I’m happy with you.” Her smile was lazy but deep, her eyes matching his gaze.


Reaching one hand into the pocket of his shorts , he pulled out a small box and placed it in her hand.


“Good…” his eyes looked down at her hand.


Hannah’s heartbeat picked up as she looked at it.


“J-Jace…” her eyes went wide. 


“Open it…” he whispered.


With shaking hands, she popped the box open, covering her mouth as the light caught the pear shaped diamond inside. A diamond she’d seen before. 


“Jace…” she shook her head, unable to find her voice. “Is this...You kept this?”


He nodded, answering her question without speaking. He brushed the hair out of her face, looking directly into her eyes before he slowly got down on one knee in front of her.


Grabbing her hand, he spoke. “Hannah Rae Martin… I love you. I’m so sorry it’s taken me this long to realize just how much. I love your daughter. Fatherhood is never something I even considered...until I met her. I wanna be a family, Annie…”


Hannah wiped the tears that were falling from her face, trying in vain to contain them “I...Jace....I love you…”


“We don’t have to do anything big. Just us. Just the three of us...and whoever you want there...Marry me, Annie…”


Hannah looked into his eyes, the bluest she had ever seen them. She looked at the man who was supposed to be a one night stand. The man who never wanted marriage. The man she had walked away from once. She had been the woman who never wanted marriage, either. But things were different with him…


Hannah sniffed back the flood on her face, pulling him up to kiss him with her tear stained lips. “Yes, Joshua Scott Chasez...YES…” she nodded “I’ll marry you…”


JC grinned against her lips as he held both sides of her face in his hands “I promise, Annie...I’ll never hurt either of you...ever…” He took her hand in his as he slid the ring carefully out of its box and onto her finger. 


Hannah kissed him over and over before beaming “We have to tell Livie…”


He smiled back at her. “She knows…” he whispered.


Hannah’s heart stopped for a moment. “What…”


His grin was playful “I asked her if I had her permission...She thought it was a great idea…”


“Oh  my God...Jace…”  Collapsing into his chest, she breathed him in, letting the tears fall. Overcome by emotion, this all felt like a dream. She felt every ounce of love and gratitude she had for him in her chest as he held her tight, head buried in her hair. He closed his eyes as he smiled, his own eyes starting to fill. Hannah took a breath and stood back, looking down to her finger to admire the ring. She giggled suddenly.


“What?” he smiled.


“Well..It fits...Um...After...Olivia...my fingers changed…” she blushed “Wouldn’t have fit me before…”


JC’s eyes crinkled into amusement “Timing is everything…”


“I guess so,” Hannah chuckled. 


“You wanna get some lunch?” he took her hand.


Hannah nodded “Lunch with my fiance sounds great…”


“Oh Lord here we go…” he chuckled.


“What?” Hannah smirked. 


“Don’t get all girly on me now, Annie…” he laughed. 


She squeezed his side playfully “Maybe just a little…”


***

JC and Hannah sat at a sunlit table overlooking the beach. Both of them lost in the moment. 

JC took a sip of his drink as he looked at Hannah. The sun was catching the flecks of green and amber in her eyes. He smiled under the rim of his glass as she stared at the ocean. 


Turning back to him, she smiled as the sun bounced off his own blue gaze, making his eyes almost transparent. 


“This is ...the most perfect day. Thank you…” she breathed as she tore a piece of bread to nibble.


He reached a hand out to grab hers “Glad you gave me a second chance…”


Hannah bit her lip “I’m just sorry it took this long…”


JC gave her a thoughtful look “You know what? I’m not…”


“What?” Hannah cocked her head slightly, confused by his sentiment.


JC looked right at her “Hannah...We were headed...nowhere. You had a whole career path and the truth is, “ he sighed “I wasn’t taking things seriously. Not really. You had to leave. I understand that now.”


Hannah smiled “It’s not exactly like I had my shit together either, Jace...and then there’s Olivia...If I hadn’t left ...I mean maybe…”


JC shook his head “Don’t...You were meant to be a mom, Annie. It’s obvious...You were meant to be HER mom…”


Her eyes started to water as she looked back at him. “Thank you…” she choked out, wiping her eyes. 


JC considered his next words “I’m...out of my element here...I mean...Marriage...a kid I...You said you didn’t change me, Hannah...but you did...Thank God you did…”


Hannah squeezed his hand “I’d take you either way, Jace.”

 

“I’m holding you to that…” he grinned.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story