Hannah yawned as she shuffled to her mailbox in pajama pants and a robe. It was a lazy Saturday, and she planned to take full advantage of it. Both her and Olivia had slept in, which was rare, and she hadn’t checked her mail in two days.


Shuffling through a couple pieces of junk mail and a utility bill, she stopped when she got to a very official looking envelope with a “Time sensitive” stamp on it. 


“Probably just another credit card offer…” she muttered to herself. 


Sitting down at the kitchen table as she carefully opened it, she froze as she read the document in her hand.


Petition to File for Joint Custody


Was he SERIOUS? Andy certainly earned enough income to have a case, but his track record proved absolutely nothing about his parenting skills. She felt her throat closing as she stared at the filled out form. He couldn’t do this...Could he?


Glancing over her shoulder, she saw Olivia happily engrossed in the tv as she munched on the apple slices Hannah had cut up for her. 


Sighing, she got up to grab her cell phone and tuck into the kitchen.


Hitting his number, she could already feel the hair on the back of her neck standing up.


“Hi Hannah…” Andy answered.


“Andy...What the hell…” she whispered “Joint Custody??”


There was a sigh on the other end of the phone “Hannah...It’s not unreasonable. She’s my daughter.”


“Yes she is...Your daughter who you can never see.”


“I need her for longer periods of time. I’ve told you my schedule fluctuates. If I had her for longer I could plan around it.”


“You realize that makes NO sense, Andy…”


“What makes no sense is the fact that you are keeping her from me…”


“I’M NOT…” she closed her eyes as she caught herself raising her voice. “I’m not keeping her from you. I have given you SO many chances to prove me wrong...SO many, and you flake every time.”


“Hannah. My parents want to see her more, too…”


“They can see her any time they want to. They have my number…”


“Hannah, look, I’m not trying to uproot her life. I just wanna see my kid. I want that right, and I want the same chance you have to get to know her...on a schedule that works.”


“She LIVES here, Andy, and my life literally revolves around her. It’s NOT the same thing.”


“Revolves around her? Or revolves around her and your boyfriend?”


“What the fuck does any of this have to do with him, Andy?”


“Well you have him watching her, don’t you? What happened to your mom? Or her other grandparents? You have some stranger watching our kid, Hannah…”


“He’s not a stranger, and you know it…” her tone was icy.


“Whatever. I don’t think I’m comfortable by leaving her well-being up to the guy you’re seeing…” he scoffed.


“My fiance, actually…” Hannah replied firmly. 


“I’m sorry-What?!” Andy questioned.


“I said...My fiance. We’re engaged. So yeah...I trust her with him.”


“You’re MARRYING him?” Andy balked.


“Yes...I am. And he’s amazing with her. He actually WANTS to spend time with her.”


“He’s not her father, Hannah…”


“Never said he was…” she answered in a cool tone. 


“Look...I’m doing this, Hannah. My lawyer has been consulted. I suggest you do the same. Beyond that, I’ll see you in court.”


Hannah pursed her lips together, trying desperately to keep her cool “I guess you will….” she responded before hanging up abruptly.


Hannah stared at her phone briefly before scrolling again to another number.


He answered in two rings. 


“Hey Annie…” she could hear his on the other end.


“Jace…” she breathed. “I hate him…”


“What? Who? What’s going on, mama?”


“Andy...He filed for joint custody..”


“He WHAT...Are you serious?”


“Unfortunately I am. Court date and everything…”


“Hannah…Wow…” 


“Yeah...Jace he can’t...win this, can he?”


There was a pause. “I don’t know...but you can’t let him do this…”


“I don’t know what to do…”


“Neither do I...but I’m coming over. We’ll figure this out.”


**


Hannah fell back against her door after saying goodbye to her lawyer. JC sat, elbows on knees on her couch, staring at her. 


“Sounds promising…” he encouraged.


Hannah rubbed her forehead in her hand. “It’s not gonna work…” she whispered.


“Don’t know until you try…” JC smiled softly as he walked over to her, massaging her shoulders gently. 


Hannah’s lawyer, who had pointed out that Andy had a weak case based on his record of visitation- or lack thereof- had suggested a mediation of sorts ahead of the court date.

Hannah had every box checked as a stable place for Olivia to live, and as the only home- and parent- she had ever known. The idea of a two parent home, she had noted, would also be appealing to the judge.


Hannah’s mind was racing. It’s not that she didn’t want Andy to see his daughter. She just didn’t his motives or his ability to be there for her. Hannah had given every part of herself to that little girl, and the idea of letting go and being part of the reason she got hurt was making her dizzy.



Hannah leaned into his hands, head rolling back a bit as she realized how tense she was. 


“No...But I have a pretty good idea…”


“Hannah. Call him. Worst case he says no and you have a great case in court, right?”

“Yeah...As a soon to be married woman, apparently…”


“Noooo...As her mother and the person who has raised her her entire life…” JC corrected her. 


“When am I even supposed to do this?”


“You have tomorrow free don’t you?”


Hannah thought. “Yeah...but Olivia-”


JC smiled as he turned her around to face him “Do I have to say it?”

Hannah bit her lip “No...You sure?”


“Stop asking me that. Package deal…” he smirked.


Hannah laughed “No refunds…”


JC shook his head “I’m a satisfied customer, Annie…”


** 


A week later, Hannah waited nervously at the table, taking tiny sips of her latte. She was nervous, and slightly nauseous. This HAD to go well. This would determine whether or not she had to fight for her own daughter; the child she had given birth to and basically raised on her own for the past 4 years. With each passing minute,she began to doubt her ability to provide, and if the court would believe whatever Andy told them. Would he lie? He could certainly afford a top-notch lawyer-One who might be willing to paint a not entirely accurate picture of Olivia’s living situation. 


She had arrived early, hoping to calm herself down, but it wasn’t working. She was going to have to compromise a little bit, and she was terrified it would do more harm than good.


He wasn’t late. Yet. She took a deep breath, expecting him to be, when he arrived in front of her.


“Hi Hannah…” he made himself at home across from her as he sat down.


“Andy...Hi…” the surprise was written all over her face, and Andy couldn’t help but smirk. 


“You said noon, right?”


‘I- did. Thank you for being on time…”


Andy gave her a small smile “Well...This is important.”


He had been coached. That much was clear. Minding his P’s and Q’s so the court would warm to him. Damn.. His lawyer was good. 


Andy pulled his phone out his coat pocket, hitting a button. 


“Mind if I record this?”


Hannah swallowed a hard knot in her throat. “No problem.”


Behave, Hannah, she thought.


“Great...So...What did you wanna discuss, Hannah…”


“Well…” Hannah took a minute to emphasize her point. “Olivia is your daughter, too, Andy. I recognize that. You have a right to spend time with her. We are two reasonable parties, right? I think between us both...We can come to some sort of agreement.”


Andy tilted his head to stare at her. “I’m listening…”


“You’re going to have to earn her trust. What I say...doesn’t matter. It matters that she is comfortable...and well taken care of…”


Andy nodded. They were both choosing their words VERY carefully. “Ok…”


Hannah cleared her throat. 


“I’m open to ideas. When and where do you want to see her, Andy?”


Andy’s eyes had become intrigued, thrown off. Without a word, he reached for his phone, shutting off the recorder before grabbing it.


“Are you being serious?”


“Yes.” Hannah replied matter-of-factly. “Try me.”


Andy took a breath, reaching into a folder in front of him. He slid a paper across the table. 


“This is my schedule for the next 3 months. Just the next 3 months. My assistant has been instructed that this cannot change.”


Hannah scanned the calendar in front of her, eyes shooting up to him. “Andy…”


Andy held his hands up, sighing. “I...get it, Hannah. I need to make time. “


Hannah bit her lip “What happens after 3 months.”


Andy nodded “We re-evaluate. Make sure it’s working.”


“Did your lawyer come up with this?” Hannah asked, feeling bold.


Andy snickered. “I did, actually. You did it, Hannah. I heard you.” He looked down, his jaw tense. “She’s lucky you’re her mom. I mean it.”


Hannah looked away. “She didn’t get much of a choice, did she?”


“Look, Can we just...Talk about it?”


“Talk about what?” Hannah looked at him. 


Andy sighed “About that night, Hannah…”


Hannah felt herself go a little numb. “I don’t really think we need to…” she swallowed.


“I think we do...Because I owe you an apology…”


Hannah’s jaw dropped. “You...What…”


Andy nodded “We don’t even really know each other, do we? I mean...We...hooked up...We had Olivia...and...Well...That’s...really all, right?”


Hannah tightened her jaw and cleared her throat “Did you ever WANT to know me, Andy?”


He sighed “No. Not like that. I...I liked what I saw. I’m sorry.”


She nodded before whispering “I liked what I saw, too...I wasn’t in a good place.”


Andy nodded “Yeah, well...I know...and that should have stopped me…”


Hannah shifted in her seat “I mean...me too…” she sighed. “But why now? This all just came to you?”


He smiled wistfully “When you um...When you told me you were engaged...I’m happy for you...I’m...happy for Olivia. The truth is...I’m pretty lonely, Hannah-”


“Andy-” she started.


“Let me finish…” he held up a hand. “I’ve lived my whole life for my career. Every decision I make, everywhere I go, how I spend my down time, how I spend my money-It’s all lifestyle. I’m not a kid anymore...and all I have to show for it...is a bad reputation and an empty apartment.”


Hannah stared at him, trying to process his words. “Isn’t that...what you want?”


Andy shook his head “No. I mean, who wants to be alone?”


“Andy, I don’t understand…” Hannah spoke softly.


“When you got pregnant,” he struggled “I...Well I certainly wasn’t planning for it...A kid..a whole OTHER thing to be responsible for. I wasn’t ready. I know how to live my life. It’s like autopilot now. I don’t know how to have a kid, Hannah. I still don’t…”


“Yeah...No shit…” she crossed her arms in front of her.


He sighed “I want to. She’s 4. I don’t want…” he closed his eyes “I don’t want her to hate me.”


Hannah blinked. “You...Are you fucking kidding? She doesn’t HATE you, Andy...She MISSES you…”


The color drained from his face as he stared back at her “She...misses me?”


“YES! She misses you. Jesus Christ, you’re her DAD. She’s 4! You think she cares what you do for a living, or how much money you make, or if your CLIENTS are happy?” 


Andy sighed, looking down “She likes him, doesn’t she…”


Hannah took a breath “You mean JC?”


“Yeah…”


Hannah nodded “He’s good to her, Andy...He loves her…”


Andy’s jaw tightened “I want another chance with her, Hannah…”


“How can I trust that you won’t hurt her?” Hannah looked at him sternly.


“You can help me,” he breathed.


“Excuse me?” 


“Just the first couple times. Come with us...Leave notes. Give me ideas. I don’t care. Then it’s like you’re there the whole time.”


Hannah stared at him, considering his idea “That’s actually not a horrible idea…”


“Whatever it takes. “ His eyes were resolved. 


“And the court date?” Hannah challenged him. 


Andy sighed. “I can get us out of that.”


Hannah’s eyes went slightly wide, relieved though suspicious “Why would you…”


“Let me try again, and we can do this your way…”


Hannah bit her lip, getting an idea “You should get a puppy…”


“What?” he looked confused.


“A puppy.” she repeated “It’s practice. They are a LOT like babies...and...Olivia has always wanted one.”


Andy smiled “Would be good company…”


**


Olivia sat at the kitchen island, swinging her feet in her booster chair as she stared at JC.


“Josh, Can I have cookies?”


JC smirked as he gathered ingredients to make lunch.


“Livie...Let’s have some lunch first, yeah?”


“And then cookies?” she charmed.


“Maybe…” he smiled at her. 


“Mommy said I could have soda…” she sat straight up as she looked at him.


JC placed both hands on the island, leaning close to her. He shook his head gently “No she didn’t, silly…”


Olivia nodded her head “Uh huh! She said so um...at my house…”


JC chuckled. “Nice try, Olivia. Besides...milk goes better with this” He held up a jar of peanut butter and her eyes lit up.


“PBJ?” She gasped.


JC grinned “Yeah. I can’t really cook, Liviebug...Do you like PBJ?”


She nodded excitedly “Yes please!”


“Ok! One PBJ coming right up”




The two of them sat on JC’s couch eating. He had flipped past some sort of sesame street marathon on PBS, leaving it to play when Olivia had shouted “Elmo!”


He smiled to himself as he recognized older episodes, his eyes going wide at one in particular. 

Knowing what was coming, he smirked as he waited to see if Olivia would notice.


Olivia was transfixed as Elmo announced “And now, Sesame Street presents...some guys who really have it together...They’re *NSync…”


He blushed and bit his lip as he watched himself run onto the screen with the rest of his former band. A sweet little melody started and they started singing 


“Oh you can be what you wanna be...See what you wanna see...Believe in yourself…Just believe in yourself”


He tried to keep his cool as Olivia sat up suddenly, her head turning quickly toward him.


“Josh!” she pointed at the tv with wide eyes. “THAT’S YOU!”


JC nodded “Yes it is. And those are my friends- Lance, Justin, Chris, and Joey…”


She was all smiles as she bounced to the song “DID YOU MEET ELMO?”


JC grinned at her “Yes I did. He was really nice. Big Bird is really funny, too…”


Olivia giggled “I like that song…”


“Yeah?”


Olivia nodded. “Uh huh. You can sing it…”


JC laughed. “You got it Livie...After lunch, ok?”


Olivia turned to her sandwich, taking a big bite as she made a face. JC but his lip nervously.


“Livie...Something wrong with your sandwich?”


“It doesn’t taste like mommy’s…” she mumbled with a full mouth.


JC smiled “Well...Different can be good, yeah? Do you like it?”


Olivia nodded. “It’s weird.”


JC laughed a little “As long as it’s good weird.”


Olivia shrugged and kept eating, as JC turned to his own plate. He hadn’t had peanut butter and jelly in awhile, and he had to admit it still held up. The raspberry jam was a nice touch, he thought.


A few minutes later, a wheezing sound caught his attention as he turned his focus to Olivia. She sat, plate on her lap, coughing as she tried to catch her breath, bits of sandwich flying out of her mouth.


“Olivia...What’s wrong…” His eyes went wide as he got up to sit next to her.


She took a gulp of air as her hands went to the bottom of her chin near her neck. “It’s...itchy…” she croaked through a slightly hoarse voice.


“Ok...Ok…” he gently grabbed her hands. “Let me see.” Her face had started to go red, and he could see a rash forming on her neck.


His heartbeat picked up as he swallowed “Livie...Does it hurt?”


She shook her head as she continued to wheeze.


“Ok..ok…” He got up and paced, then ran to the folder in the kitchen, frantically searching for any allergy lists. Nothing. 


He glanced around the room, finding nothing that should have caused this reaction. His brain went to her comment. “Weird.”


He crouched down in front of her “Breathe slowly ok...Listen to me, Livie Bug...Do you know what mommy puts in PBJ?”


Olivia stared at him with scared eyes “Um. Peanut butter.”

“Uh huh...and…”


“Purple stuff…”


JC sighed. Grape jelly. 


He grabbed the rest of her sandwich, showing her the raspberry jam. “Have you ever eaten this….?”


She shook her head no.


“Shit…” he whispered. 


Olivia’s eyes went wide. “Bad... word!”


JC rubbed his forehead “I’m sorry, Livie….Listen...We have to go to the doctor ok...So you won’t be itchy…”


“No…” Olivia protested as she started to scoot away.


“Livie...It’s ok. I’ll be right there, ok…” He grabbed his phone to dial 911, his fingers shaking as he tried not to panic.


***


Hannah smiled, a huge weight lifted off her shoulders as she realized her and Andy were going to be able to come to an agreement.


“Can I see her next weekend? I’ll come to your place. You can stay the whole time. I blocked off the day…”


Hannah took a breath “Maybe. Can I think about it?”


Andy nodded, looking down “That’s fair…”


Before she could say another word, her phone rang. 


“Hey Jace, how are- What...OH MY GOD. Is she ok? ...Ok...Ok...I’m leaving now…” 


Pulling some cash out of her wallet quickly, she dropped it onto the table. “I’m sorry...I have to go. We will talk. Tomorrow. We will figure this out.”


The panic in her eyes made Andy stand “Hannah...What’s going on…”


Hannah sighed, wondering if she should tell him. He was her father, after all, and if they were going to work together, maybe she should try, too.


“Olivia had a reaction to something. She’s on her way to the emergency room.”


Andy grabbed his folder as he pushed in his chair. “I’ll follow you…”


“Andy…” Hannah warned. 


“HANNAH...I’m her father. You just said emergency room…”


Hannah closed her eyes briefly. “Fine...But please be nice…”


“Nice?” he looked at her confused before recognition set in. “SHE’S WITH HIM?”


“Andy...Not now. We gotta go…”

 

Hannah practically ran out of the coffee shop, with Andy scrambling to follow her.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story