Hannah sighed as she stood at the bottom of the porch, staring at the door one last time. She tossed her set of keys, now off her keychain up and down in her hand. 


She was moving. Again. A sad smile crossed her features as she realized it would be for the last time. Her condo had sold much more quickly than she had planned for, but it also didn’t surprise her. It was an amazing place. A place where her whole life had changed. A place she had made big plans for. Plans she had rapidly outgrown when JC showed up again. 


Her eyes stared in wonder as her mind finally brought her into the present. 


The Hills. She was moving into the Hollywood Hills. Her daughter would know a much different life than she ever did growing up, but it all felt so normal now. He made it feel so normal. 


An arm wrapped around her lower back from the side, Olivia holding his hand on the end of the other one. 


“You ready?” He smiled as he kissed her temple. 


She nodded, blowing out a meaningful breath that vibrated through her lips. “Yeah...Yeah let’s go…” 


“If it’s too soon, Annie…”


“It’s not…” she smiled up at him “Plus, this isn’t my place anymore. Legally.”


“I’d just buy it back…” JC smirked. 


“Uh huh…” she laughed quickly “You’re gonna be my husband...We should probably live in the same house.”


JC grinned, the corners of his eyes scrunching up “I think that’s the first time you’ve actually said that…”


“Well…” Hannah shrugged as she bit her lip. 


“Can I sit in the front?” Olivia peered up at JC as she tugged his hand to get his attention. 


JC moved to pick her up into his arms. “That’s up to your mommy…”


Hannah smirked. JC knew she wasn’t tall enough to be out of her booster seat. It WAS kind of a big day in her life, though. 


“Tell ya what…Just this once. But you have to wear your seatbelt ALL THE WAY and hold on, ok?”


Olivia  clapped her hands together in excitement “OK! I PROMISE MOMMY…”


Hannah gave JC a look “If you drive over the speed limit, there won’t be a wedding…”


JC grinned wide “I mean I’m cool with city hall too, mama…”


“That isn’t what I---Shut up…” she teased back.


**

JC turned the knob of his front door, stopping just short of opening it all the way. He looked back at Olivia, smiling as he bit his lip. 


“Ready to see your castle, Princess?” 


Olivia giggled and nodded “I wanna see.”


Hannah grinned at JC as he stepped aside to let Olivia run in. Her eyes darted in every direction as she took in her new home. 


“Woowww…” she breathed, walking over to the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the balcony. “Can we go out there?”


JC’s brow furrowed a bit, knowing the low wall would keep her safe, but looking back to Hannah to make sure.


Hannah smirked, reading his mind. “A little later, ok baby? Let’s see the rest of the house first!”


Olivia settled for her mother’s idea. “Ok…” She ran off in one direction as JC and Olivia followed her.


“Hey! Careful!” Hannah called through her amusement. 


She reached the stairs and slowed down as she climbed them.


“Hey Liviebug...Come here…” JC smiled as he took her hand and led her through a door to one of the bedrooms. “Welcome home, cutie…”



Olivia’s jaw dropped as she dragged kitty along with her, stretching her head to look all around the room.


“This is MINE?” she stared back at Hannah and JC.


JC beamed “Sure is! All yours! “


Hannah’s eyes landed in the corner of the room, where a brand new, child-sized, pink baby grand piano and matching bench sat. 


“Jace…” Her eyes melted as she looked at him and Olivia noticed the instrument.


He shrugged, hands shoved in pockets “She wants to learn, so…” 


Hannah wrapped her arms around him, laying her head on his chest with a sigh. “You…”


Olivia gasped as she pressed a few of the keys. “OH MY GOSH”


“Livie can you say thank you?” Hannah smiled.


Jumping up off the bench, she ran to JC, hugging his legs tightly “Thank you Thank you Thank you!”


“You’re very welcome…” he beamed as he kneeled down to hug her back.


Surveying the rest of the room, her next focus was on the walls. 


 “Mommy can I have my stars?”


Hannah smiled “Of course! We brought those with us!” she reassured, referring to the star string lights that had lit up her old bedroom. 


Olivia was smiling so wide it nearly came off her face “It’s BIG! “ She looked to Hannah.


“Mommy we need a baby!”


Hannah felt herself choke a little “Um what? Livie...You’re so silly!” 


Olivia shook her head emphatically “We need a baby cuz there’s lots of room! And mommies and daddies have babies!”


JC knelt back down to her level “We have a baby,” he tickled her arm lightly “We have a Livie…”


Olivia giggled “I’m not a BABY!”


Hannah laughed “No...You’re a big girl...So you get a big girl room!”


Olivia got serious “I’ll take care of a baby!”


“Oh...will you?” Hannah laughed. Olivia nodded and smiled.


“How about a puppy? Puppies are babies…” JC teased.


“Nooo...a BABY baby…” Olivia insisted. 


JC looked to Hannah, his eyes shifting. “Ya know what Livie Bug...Maybe…”


Hannah smiled, looking back at him in answer “Yeah...Maybe.”


***

JC let out a breath as he walked into the master bedroom from the en suite, fresh from the shower. Hannah noted how relaxed he looked with a towel around his waist, damp curls doing their own thing as he made his way to a drawer for a pair of joggers and a t-shirt. 


“I’m beat…” He smiled as he climbed into the bed next to her. 


“Me too…” she smiled “Thank God we hired movers. I’d be even more dead.”


“Mmm...But you’re HOME…” he bit his lip as he wrapped an arm around her to pull her close.


Hannah blushed “Yeah...We are…”


“Feels much better...Having you both here...All the time.”


“It’s night one, Jace...You might change your mind…” she teased. 


“Not a chance…” his eyes crinkled as he dipped his head to kiss her. Reaching a hand to his face, she returned the sentiment, finding her way deeper into his lips. His hand moved down to her side, gripping the skin between her cami and her pajama pants.


Pulling away slightly Hannah paused, focus in her eyes. 


“Wait…” she whispered...pointer finger in the air. “Liv…”


JC grinned, lips to her neck as he chuckled against her. “Annie...She was out cold. She’s asleep…”


Hannah shook her head “Rookie mistake, Jace...Give it a minute…”


JC sighed, kissing her quickly “Fine…”


Heads on pillows, they laid silent, eyes matching their ears as they held their breaths. More than a few moments passed, and JC grinned. “See…”


Hannah bit her lip, smiling as he moved to kiss her again, his hands moving under the comforter. Her hands slid up his bare chest, roaming his arms as the kiss got deeper. One hand under her elastic waistband, JC moved down the top of her thigh.


“MOMMMYYYYYYYYY…..” a voice pierced the mood.


JC’s hand jolted to a stop, eyes popping open, as Hannah couldn’t help but laugh. 


“...Told you…” 


JC’s sigh was audible as he rolled onto his back, one hand covering his face. 


“Garrgghhhaahh” his groan was unintelligible. 


“Welcome to being a parent, Jace…” she kissed his shoulder in sympathy. “I’ll be right back,” she breathed with a slight giggle.

**

Andy waited, somehow nervous. He had stayed true to his word, having shown up on time and hung out with Hannah and Olivia three times in the last two months.  Olivia had clung mostly to Hannah, but they were making progress. 


This would be his first time having Olivia for an entire weekend since their agreement. Everything had to go well, or he could lose his chance to stay in his daughter’s life. He also knew JC would be dropping her off, with Hannah being wrapped up in her second book, which had officially been picked up to be published. 


He sat on his doorstep, too anxious to wait inside, lifting his head as he heard a car door slam.

 

He spotted Olivia first, watching her wait for him. JC climbed out of the driver’s seat, accepting Olivia’s hand as she reached out for him. His heart dropped as they made their way up the drive. 


“Hey sweetie!” Andy smiled at her. Olivia looked up to JC, then back at Andy. “Hi…”


“You wanna come inside? We’re gonna have fun this weekend.”


Olivia grabbed the straps of her backpack, looking down.


“Hey, Livie bug...You hear that? You get to have a whole weekend of fun! “ JC encouraged. 


She looked up at him, not convinced. “Ok…”


“Hey, uh...Andy...Didn’t you say you got a new puppy?” JC gave him a look, remembering part of a conversation he had overheard between him and Hannah.


Andy smiled, a bit relieved. “Um...Yes. Yeah...You wanna meet him, baby girl?” he looked at Olivia. 


“Is it a big doggie?” she asked, suspicious. 


Andy smiled “No, honey...He’s a little doggie...And he’s fluffy…”


She lit up. “REALLY?!”


He nodded, relaxing a little. “Really...He needs a name, though. Maybe you can help me with that?”


“Okay!” she jumped a little. 


Andy laughed back. “Ok. Hey Olivia, How about you go inside. I’ll be right there,” he said, eyes on JC. 


JC looked down to her, crouching down. “Ok. Go inside, Livie. I’ll see you in a couple days, ok?”


She looked unsure as she nodded at him. 


“Hey...I promise. Two sleeps, ok. Can I have a hug?” he opened his arms, wrapping her in a hug when she made quick work of wrapping her arms around him. 


“Ok...Love you, Livie Bug...Go have fun.”


Andy took her backpack, letting her inside safely before turning back to JC.


“Uh...Thanks, man.”


“For what…” JC remained stoic. 


“Dropping her off. Being good to her. Putting up with me taking some of Hannah’s time…”


JC nodded.  “Same team, right?”


“Yeah... You’re amazing with that kid.”


“She’s a great kid.”


Andy sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets. “And you’re a great guy, JC.”


JC smirked. “Okay.”


Andy took a deep breath “I meant what I said. To Hannah.  To you. I’ll keep trying harder. For my daughter.”


“That’s all any of us want, man…” JC looked at him. 


Andy nodded. 


“Hannah’s gonna come get her...Sunday night.” JC reminded him before turning to leave.


“JC... “ Andy called after him.


“Yeah?”


“I have some artists I’m working with...Could use some help...Maybe a producer?”


JC gave him a half smile. “We’re not there yet, man…”


Andy nodded. “Uh...Right. But ya know, if…”


“I’ll think about it, man…” he looked toward the house “Go name that dog…” he smiled.


Andy smiled, waving JC goodbye as he pulled out of the drive. He sighed, turning to join Olivia inside. 

 

She was sitting on the couch, looking around, backpack still on.


“You can take that off, sweetie…” Andy sat next to her. 


Staring at him for a second, she slowly pulled the straps down her arms and handed the backpack to him.


“Where’s the doggie?” she asked him innocently. 


Andy smiled “In his kennel. You wanna meet him now?”


Olivia nodded slowly.


“Ok..Come on..” he motioned for Olivia to follow him. 


They reached a small cage, where a ball of fluff got on its feet, shuffling to the front of the cage to prop his front paws up. He issued a noise somewhere between a squeak and a bark.


Olivia jumped back a little, and Andy tried to reassure her. 


“It’s ok, Olivia. He just wants to say hi.”


“Hi doggie…” she waved one hand, the other behind her back.


Andy carefully unlatched the door, scooping up the puppy in his arms. 

“You wanna pet him? He’s really soft.”


Olivia tentatively reached out her hand.


“Ok. Slowly, Olivia. Pet him on his back”


She softly touched the puppy’s fur and smiled as he twisted in Andy’s arms to lick her as a greeting. Olivia pulled her hand back and giggled.


“He licked me!”


Andy laughed. “Yeah...That means he likes you.”


Olivia was all smiles now. 


“What are we gonna name him, baby girl…”


“Ummmm” Olivia thought “Puppy!”


Andy grinned “Are you sure? Puppy the puppy?”


Olivia frowned a little “Oh...No ok Ummmm….CHASE!”


Andy stared at her for a second confused, finally remembering the cartoon he had watched with her at Hannah’s place. 


“Oh good name! Chase. I like it. What do you think, buddy?” he asked the puppy. There was a tongue hanging out followed by a short bark as an answer as Olivia laughed.


“I think he approves."


Andy set Chase down as Olivia found a chew toy and threw it for him to chase.


Looking on, Andy felt himself relax. The day was going well. Feeling his own stomach rumble after a couple hours, he suggested lunch.


Sitting at his dining room table, Olivia was quiet as she picked through her macaroni and cheese. He noted the difference in her personality. When Hannah or JC was around, she was bubbly and full of life. Sighing, he swallowed as he spoke gently. 


“Olivia...You really like Josh?” Andy looked at her, resigning himself.


Olivia looked at him with shy eyes, nodding. 


He sighed. “What do you like about him, baby girl?”


Olivia stared down at her food, not saying a word. 


“It’s ok, honey...You can tell me...Is he nice to you?”


Olivia nodded, playing with a noodle.


“Is he nice to mommy?”


“He loves mommy…” she whispered. 


“Does he love you?” 


She nodded again, smiling a little.


Andy took a deep breath. “Do you love him…?”


Olivia looked up at him, fidgeting in her seat.


“It’s ok, honey...Do you love Josh?”


She nodded. Andy sighed.


“Olivia, sweetheart...Look at me. That’s GOOD. Okay? I am glad Josh is nice to you and you love him. Honey...Do you know I love you, too?”


Olivia looked at him, a sweet look on her face. “You do?”


He softened, his heart twisting a bit. “Yes. I love you, baby girl.”


He watched her lip quiver as fat tears fell from her eyes. She cried in heaving breaths as he hurried around to her, pulling her to him. She scooted into him, crying a little louder as he rubbed her back.


“ Oh my God. Oh Olivia… Baby Girl, I am so, so...sorry…” he choked before smoothing her hair back and kissing the top of her head. She calmed down a little, hiccuping as her tears subsided.


“Um...when mommy and Josh um…” she started.


“Get married?” Andy finished.


“Uh huh...Um that...Are you still my daddy?”


Andy slowly let out a breath, looking down before looking at her “Yes, Olivia. I’ll be your daddy always.”


“What about Josh?” she looked at him with wide eyes. 


Andy felt the pit in his stomach grow. How was he supposed to answer this one?


“Well…” he paused. “You’re gonna live with mommy and Josh...I want you to listen to him ok? Be a good girl?“


Olivia nodded “Ok, Daddy.”


Andy stared at her for a minute, holding back his own pride. “Baby girl...You call him whatever you want...Ok?”


Olivia nodded. “Daddy?” she whispered.


“Yeah?”


“I love you.”


Andy cleared his throat, feeling a flood of emotion he had never experienced before. He didn’t know why it had taken him this long to try. He knew he was lucky she would still give him a chance. He knew life as he knew it was over now. This was it. No turning back now.

 

 A smile finding his whole face, he hugged her again. “I love you, too my Olivia…”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story