A quiet night at home, Hannah, JC, and Olivia were settling in to the end of their first week in the same home. It had been a long one, with plenty of adjustments, but it was in the little, every day moments that both adults found themselves perfectly content to be worn out.




Hannah smiled down at JC from the top of the stairs. “You’re up…”


He grinned “This gonna be an every night thing now?”


“I guess so...You started it” she beamed.


He stood from the couch, kissing the top of Hannah’s head as he made his way to the bedroom to sing Olivia to sleep.


He knelt next to her bed. “What do ya wanna hear tonight, Livie-bug?”


She shrugged her shoulders “Ummmmmm...I dunno…”


He smiled “So its a surprise…”


She smiled and nodded “Yes, daddy, sing!”


JC’s heart clenched in his chest as he sighed. “Olivia...We talked about this, you have a daddy, sweet girl…”


She shook her head and looked at JC with eyes that were suddenly older “He said I can call you whatever I want…”


JC’s breath caught in his throat “He...did?”


Olivia nodded. 


A slow sigh as he tucked her comforter tighter around her, he smiled. A thought crossed his mind as he bit his lip. “...What about…’Dad’?”


She smiled back at him “Ok. I love you, dad…”

JC felt his eyes get watery “I love you too, sweetheart…”


Clearing his throat, he went off the cuff to sing an original, on the spot lullaby. 


“Sleep tight, star bright...Princess Olivia...Close your eyes, rainbow skies, Sweet Livie Bug…” 


Olivia giggled as her eyes started to fall.


Tickling her favorite stuffed animal, he continued “Kitty needs her rest, Princess Livie is the best…”


JC grinned as he watched Olivia’s eyes close, smile on her face as she drifted off.




Hannah smiled as JC walked back down the stairs. 


"How'd it go?" She asked.


"She's asleep..." he said, soft expression on his face.


“Good Job,” Hannah grinned, eyes falling on the table in front of her where two glasses of wine sat.


He grinned back, taking a seat as he sat next to her, hand lazily falling to her thigh as he picked up one of the glasses.


“What are you watching?” he smiled, hearing the tv as he turned to look at it. 


“Guilty pleasure…” Hannah blushed.


JC’s smile grew “Annie..This isn’t guilty..This is a classic…” 

He focused on Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey on the screen.


Hannah sighed “It’s just...so...romantic…”


JC smirked “Romantic, huh? Hannah Martin...Have you gotten sentimental on me…?”


She playfully shoved him “Yeah that ship sailed AWHILE ago,” she giggled. 

JC’s eyes danced as he looked from her to the tv and back “Okay...Come here then…”


“What?” she looked back at him as she took a sip of wine..


“Dance with me…” He said in time with the movie, holding his hand out.


Hannah snorted, playing along “Here?”


JC nodded “Here…”


Hannah bit her lip as she got up and let him wrap his arms around her. He dipped her back and around as “Cry to Me” played.


She giggled as she buried her face into the crook of his neck. “Jace…”


“Shhh…” he laughed lightly. “Go with it, mama…” 


She looked up to him as he pulled her in closer, both of them holding each other in a full embrace as they swayed back and forth. Hannah softly placed a few kisses on his neck and he rolled his head into her lips to kiss her back. 


Foreheads touching, they shared a fit of giggles. 


“Got a bit of practice to do that hold at the end…”


JC shook his head “You have a death wish…”


Hannah laughed, letting her arms rest around his lower back. “No...My wish came true…”


JC bit his lip “Mine too…” 


His eyes seemed thoughtful suddenly.



"What's wrong..." Hannah asked, noticing the change.


"Um...Not wrong just..."

"What is it?" 


"Well...Livie...called me...Daddy..." he looked at Hannah.


"Oh...Um...I mean..." Hannah stammered.


JC nodded "Yeah I know I...I've been around a lot..."


"Gonna be around even more."


"Yeah," he agreed.


"Jace ...Just...We can tell her not to do that. I'm sorry..."


"No it's not that...It's just...I'm...not? I just don't wanna step on any toes...What with Andy or...You..." 


Hannah sighed, smiling softly at him. "You're not...What did you tell her?" 


"Just that...She has a daddy?...and...That maybe I could be...Dad?"


Hannah bit her lip. "Well...You kinda are..."


JC smiled, then let out a slow breath "Wow...Yeah I mean...I guess so..."

 

"You're pretty damn good at it, ya know..."


JC blushed.  "Nah..."


"Yes." Hannah said matter-of-factly.


He leaned over to kiss her quickly "Would you trust me with another one?" 


Hannah grinned "Yeah I would..." 


"Annie..." 


She nodded "Me too. I think Livie was right. That room's too big for just her." 


Bending down slightly to pick her up into his arms, he kissed her temple as she gasped lightly. Hannah blushed as he whispered in her ear  "Practice makes perfect..."

 

****

Hannah spoke from behind a curtained off area in a larger dressing room. Her heart was racing and the silk robe she had on seemed to be heated to 100 degrees. Her nerves were getting the best of her. Or maybe it was excitement. Either way, after 2 hours, a handful of fruit, half a bagel, and one glass of champagne, her hair and makeup was done, and it was time to step into her wardrobe for the day. 

 

“Jade…?” she called.

 

There was a happy squeak as she heard a chair shift. “You ready?” she asked.

 

“Yeah,” Hannah bit her lip “It’s dress time…”

 

“We’re coming…” Jade called back excitedly. 

 

Stepping through the curtain with Hannah’s mom and Olivia, Jade gasped.

 

“Oh...Hannah…” she breathed, hand over her heart. 

 

Hannah smiled, avoiding Jade’s eyes to keep from crying “Stop...It’s just a little makeup. All smoke and mirrors…”

 

“No, my love...YOU are ...the most beautiful bride I have ever seen..” her mom grabbed both of her hands, full tears falling from her eyes.

 

“Mom…” Hannah blushed. 

 

“WOW...MOMMY...YOU ARE SO PRETTY…” a small voice came from just next to Jade. 

 

Hannah moved her eyes down to look at her daughter, already dressed and ready to go.

 

“Ohhh...Oh Livie… come here…” Her eyes started to water as Olivia climbed up onto her lap carefully.

 

Pushing a piece of her hair back into place, Hannah took her in. “You are so grown up, baby...You look...perfect…”

 

“Mommy I’m pretty…” she giggled.

 

“Yes. You are! Do you wanna see Mommy’s dress?”

 

She nodded enthusiastically as she carefully made her way back to standing. 

 

“Oh no you don’t…” Hannah’s mom spoke up. “You, pretty girl...Get to do the first look...Just like Josh…” she beamed.

 

Olivia looked to Hannah and Jade, confused. 

 

“It means you get a surprise after Mommy gets dressed!” Jade did her best to sell it.

 

“Oh cool!” Olivia smiled. 

 

Hannah’s mom winked as she took Olivia’s hand to wait in another room. 

 

Jade turned back to Hannah, rubbing her arms “You ok?” she asked, seeing Hannah’s face.

 

“I’m...overwhelmed…” Hannah confessed.

 

Jade nodded “Yeah...I remember that. Then again, I didn’t wait 5 years to marry the love of my life..”

 

“Jade…” Hannah gave her a look.

 

Pointing at her with a smirk, Jade responded “A HA! See...There. There you are. That’s all you have to do today. Enjoy it...And ya know...some vows or whatever...Make it official and all…”

 

Hannah bit her lip “Have you seen him yet?’

 

Jade shook her head “No Ma’am...No spoilers.”

 

Hannah laughed as her makeup artist and assistant carefully brought over her dress in its garment bag and hanger. She stared at the custom wire hanger her mom had given her. 

 

"Mrs. Chasez"  was carefully twisted into neat script along the edge.

 

“When do you think I should tell my mom I’m keeping my last name?” she smirked at Jade.

 

Jade sighed as she shook her head “Probably never…”

 

They shared a giggle as Jade helped her step into the dress.

 

Zipping and buttoning it up, she stared at Hannah over her shoulder to their reflection in the mirror.

 

“You deserve this. “ she smiled, eyes slightly glazed as she echoed Hannah’s words to her at her wedding. “I love you…”

 

Moving one hand back to squeeze Jade’s shoulder, Hannah took a breath “Thank you. I love you too…”

 

 

A grin spread across Jade’s face. “Now let’s go get you married to that gorgeous man…”




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story