Chapter 19


The next few days flew by. It was Friday, and Nicki was on shift, still volunteering at the hospital. She’d been switched to working more with the nurses, but Parker was still around her a lot. He’d sit with her at lunch if she was by herself. He’d given up trash talking Justin, but still had her in his sights. 


Nicki had gotten more comfortable doing things she used to do, having more hands on training with the nurses. She was hoping to soon be ready to come back from her paid leave and be working instead of volunteering. 


Nicki was in a room checking on a patient when she heard a call for Code Blue in the next room. “I need a crash cart, stat!” she heard. She rushed into action, getting the cart and any necessary supplies. A patient had stopped breathing, pulse rate low. She prepared the defibrillator. The doctor took the paddles, and she gave the charge. They did this a couple more times as the child didn’t respond. 


Nicki closed her eyes tight. Come on, you can do this sweetheart. We’re here.  After the last shock, the child’s heart rate returned to normal and breathing resumed. She had gone into full nurse mode that she hadn’t looked at who the doctor was that needed her help. She looked up, and it was Parker. They were both out of breath, and the connection of working together to save a child’s life made a switch go off in her head. He had been so calm, ready for whatever needed to be done, and so had she. She felt this electricity between them in the moments after reviving their patient. 


He asked her to come with him to get something for a patient, leading her into a closet. They looked into each other’s eyes, before Parker kissed her intensely. Nicki didn’t try to resist, feeling the connection and electricity between them. Their hands in each other’s hair, tongues dancing between open mouths. Parker pulled back. 


“I’ve been wanting to do that for so long,” he said.


“I need to thank you, I think after that I’m ready to come back full time,” she said. 


“You wanna go out to dinner tonight, to celebrate?” he asked. 


“Sure,” she blushed. “That would be nice.”


“What about Justin?” he asked. 


“It’s nothing serious,” she replied. A smile spread across Parker’s face. 


“Excellent,” he said. “I can change after my shift, then swing by your house so you can change. Nothing fancy, but still go out to dinner.”


“I’ll see you around, then later tonight,” Nicki said. 


They left the closet, the other nurses watching Parker closely. 


Nicki pulled out her phone and texted Justin. 


I made plans with a friend from work. I’ll call if I can after. 


She thought to herself, it’s not a lie, I’m just leaving out that it’s Parker. They seem to hate each other. Besides, I don’t know that the kiss with Parker meant anything, we’re just going out to celebrate me coming back to work. 


She continued her shift, the rest of the nurses glaring at Parker as they crossed paths. 


What’s their problem? he asked himself. Even if they saw us come out or go into the closet, she wanted it. They just wish it was them instead of her. 


Their shifts ended for the day. Parker went into the locker room, took a quick shower and changed clothes. He had a grey polo, black slacks, and black shoes. Even off duty, a doctor has to look good, he said as he looked at himself in the mirror. 


Nicki waited in the hall opposite the locker room, leaving with Parker. They made small talk on the drive to her place. Once Parker pulled up, Nicki got out and unlocked the front door. He waited while she got ready, which seemed like no time at all. She wore a sage green top, dark jeans, and tan ankle boots. She had a black jacket on over the ensemble. 


She got back into Parker’s car. “Any ideas on dinner?” Parker asked. 


“Do you like Chinese? I know this great place,” she replied. Parker nodded and Nicki led the way. They walked into the little restaurant, waiting in line to order. As they waited, a young man with 2 big bags came through. 


“Delivery for Justin, seems like he’s having some friends over,” he said, heading towards the door. 


Nicki’s phone buzzed. I ordered Chinese food from your favorite place. Hoping you can come by and have some. Justin 


Shit, she thought. That was close. I’m glad he called for delivery instead of coming down here to pick up. I see no harm in what I’m doing, but them together in one place could get ugly. 


Sorry, we just grabbed food. Maybe another time?  Her heart sank a little disappointing him after seeing how much food there was. 


They ordered their food and sat down at a table. “To returning back to work,” Parker said, raising his fork full of food. Nicki nodded replied in kind. 



Justin read the text from Nicki, feeling stupid for getting so much food without knowing she was coming over. He replied with maybe you can come over and we’ll have it for lunch? You know this stuff is great the next day. 


His phone buzzed, it was Heather calling. “Have you seen Nicki? She’s not here and she didn’t text me.”


“She texted me, she’s with a friend from work. I tried inviting her over for Chinese, but they’d already grabbed food. If you’re hungry you can come over, I kinda got a lot hoping she’d be here…”


“I think I might. See what movie night at Justin’s is like.”


“Basically the same, just different furniture.”


“Don’t you have your own theater room? That’s a big difference than my dinky tv.”


“Whatever. Come on over, it’ll be fun.”



Parker and Nicki talked about the incident earlier in the day, the feelings she had of being back in the swing of things at work. 


“It was like a switch went on in my head, I knew what to do and just did it,” she said.


“That feeling after was pretty great, too,” Parker smiled. “That electricity between us, the endorphins of everything, that emotional high of succeeding.  Then there was that kiss…”


“Yeah, it was good,” Nicki smiled. 


“Just good?” Parker asked, tilting his head. 


“I mean, we had just saved a child’s life. The kiss was nice, but that feeling of saving a life…”


That kiss was nothing compared to Justin. Nice, a definite moment, but not exactly a romantic buildup like with Justin, she thought. 


“Well, we were also in a closet. Not exactly a romantic place,” Parker admitted. 


“I’m glad I was able to help, with the code blue. I’m excited to go back on full duty.”


“Did they say when you can officially come back?” Parker asked. 


“No. I’m sure there’s something about making sure I’m fully competent again, hopefully I can be given more responsibility so that it’s closer.”


They finished their food. Nicki had a look on her face like “now what?”.  “Can I take you out to a movie tomorrow night?” Parker asked. 


“Sure, that sounds nice,” Nicki smiled. 


“We can grab some ice cream or something and walk around a bit, if you want,” he suggested. Nicki nodded, so they left and headed to his car. 



Heather and Justin were watching Men in Black II, eating some of the Chinese food. 


“I forgot how great this movie is!” Heather said as they laughed at a scene. 


“Will Smith is kinda my idol on being an actor and singer,” Justin said. “He’s just so damn talented.”


“Yeah, cause you are lacking in the talent department… I’ve known you for HOW long? Oh right, back to your MMC days…”


“If you can call that acting…” Justin scoffed. 


“For kids it wasn’t bad,” Heather said.


“I think this is the first time we’ve hung out, just the two of us. We’ve always had JC or Nicki around, or I’d been at your place waiting for Nicki where it didn’t really count. I’m sorry it took so long, you’re good company,” Justin admitted. 


“A compliment from Justin Timberlake? How unexpected.”


“It’s not like I’m mean to you,” Justin replied, a little hurt.


“No, you’re right. We just don’t interact that much. I’ve just been along for the ride with JC or Nicki.”


“I’m sorry you feel that way. I’ll try and make more of an effort to really get to know you.”


“You can start by getting me more of the chow mein. I know Nicki can’t stand it, so I’ll help you eat it.”



They opted for coffee instead of ice cream, sitting in the coffee house for a while talking. They stayed until closing, getting refills while they could before walking around the shopping center. They people watched as they walked, their pace slow. Parker reached for her hand, she held his hand, but didn’t interlock his fingers with hers. 


This feels nice, I guess. He doesn’t seem like the guy people have made him out to be. He’s cute, but he’s certainly no Justin. But Justin being a celebrity, I don’t know if I could handle the scrutiny and his schedule. He was on tour for a year. How would we make that work? she thought. 


Parker watched her intently. “Whatcha thinking about?” he asked. 


“What a nice time I’m having,” she answered. 


“Glad to hear it.  It’s getting late, let’s get you home,” he said, taking her towards his car in the parking lot. He drove her home, parking out front as usual. 


“I had a nice time,” Nicki said nervously. 


“I did too,” Parker smiled. 


She leaned in to hug him, instead feeling his lips on hers again. She softened her posture, leaning into the kiss. It was more tender than the kiss they shared in the closet. She felt herself hum in enjoyment against his lips. She slowly pulled back. 


“I’ll text you tomorrow on when to pick you up for the movie?” Parker said, almost asking a question, his voice lifting at the end, like he was asking for permission. Nicki nodded before getting out of the car and heading into the house. 


“Heather, you here?” Nicki asked. 


“Yeah, I just got home myself about 5 minutes ago,” she called from down the hall. 

 

Nicki got into bed, thinking back on her night out. I had myself convinced Parker was this bad guy, then today and tonight I felt this connection. That kiss in his car was so much more tender, romantic. I’m not sure what I’m feeling for him, but I feel like I deserve to find out.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story