Chapter 25


Nicki’s alarm went off, too early in her opinion. She trudged through getting up, missing Justin already. She felt a little better once Parker picked her up, seeing his smile, hearing his voice, but Justin was still on her mind and in her heart. 


On her lunch, she went to the ICU to find Dr. Hanover. “I was wondering if I could talk to you, as a patient to her doctor, not as coworkers.”


“Absolutely.”


They sat at a table, fairly isolated for privacy. 


“I need some advice. I’m somewhat seeing two men since getting released from the hospital. One of them is super romantic, thoughtful, I think I might be in love with him. The other just tried to get in my pants.  He’s sweet, but recently it’s like he has one agenda. I thought I knew him, and I want to give him a fair shot, but I keep hearing things about him from people, warning me that he’s not a good guy. What should I do?”


“Well, if you’re in love with the one guy, why give the other a chance?”


“Because I’d promised him another date, and I want to give him another chance in case there is something there.”


“I guess, if you have to, sure.  But don’t give him too much of a shot if you aren’t sure your feelings for him are anything less for the man you think you’re in love with.  Don’t lead him on if you’re going to go for the one you already love.”


“Thank you, doctor.  I needed some outside opinion, everyone else was too close to the situation.”


“Glad I could help,” Dr. Hanover said.


A few minutes later, Parker got a text. 


Hey, Nicki just came to me asking for advice. Good news bro, she thinks she’s in love with you. Your date this weekend is gonna knock it out of the park!  


...


The next few days seemed to crawl by for both of them, only talking by phone calls and texts. Nicki was glad he changed his mind on keeping in touch. 


It was now Wednesday, Nicki’s movie night test. She’d already talked to Heather about what she was doing, why she’d want to watch that movie again. 


Parker walked in with Nicki after their shifts. He looked around the townhouse. “Not too bad,” he said, judging the interior. He sat down on the couch. “So, what’re we watching and eating?” he asked, putting his feet up on the coffee table. 


“Uh, I don’t know about food, but I picked out 50 First Dates. I guess it was one of my favorites before the accident.  Any ideas for dinner?”


“Something quick, I’m starving. Heather could have made something,” he said in an annoyed tone. Heather was in the kitchen listening in and wanted to strangle him. 


“Heather, you ok with pizza for dinner?” Nicki called into the kitchen. 


Heather walked into the living room. “Sure. Hawaiian, like usual?”


Parker made a face. “Ick. I’ll pass.”


“Ok…” Heather said. “Sausage with olives and mushrooms?”


Heather and Nicki both looked at Parker. “Whatever,” he snapped. 


Not off to a great start, pal, thought Heather. 


They started watching the movie while they waited for the pizza. When the pizza arrived, Parker didn’t even offer to pay for any of it, despite ordering to try and please him. 


They got to the scene showing her accident. Nicki flinched, turning in towards Parker. 


“What’s wrong, I thought you’ve seen this movie a bunch of times,” Parker said. 


“Not since the accident,” Heather lied.


“Oh. Well, it’s almost over, it’s just a movie, whatever.  You have most of your memories back, so you’re not like her.  Your accident wasn’t that bad.”


“I’ll be right back,” Heather said, going into the kitchen. She got out her phone and texted Justin. 


Parker’s over. We’re rewatching 50 First Dates and he’s doing TERRIBLY!  He had the balls to say her accident wasn’t ‘that bad’ and it shouldn’t bother her because she has most of her memories.


Mother fucking piece of shit. He definitely doesn’t deserve the chances she’s giving him. If I ever see him again…


I know. He also said I should’ve had dinner ready when they got there, and he had a bad attitude about what pizza we got. 


I know I don’t like Hawaiian that much, but at least let you guys get it. 


I can’t wait for him to leave. At least you’re not stuck at home with him. I gotta go, I’ll try to have Nicki call or text you later. 


They watched the movie, Parker trying to put his hand on her upper thigh, toward her inner thigh.  Nicki would move to hold his hand instead, but he kept up his pursuit. 


“I’m trying to watch the movie, just enjoy it,” Nicki whispered. 


“Just trying to get you in the mood for later,” he whispered back. 


Nicki sighed loudly in response. “Sorry, no ‘later’ tonight. We have our shift in the morning.”


Parker huffed a little, his body tensing up next to her. She’s just playing hard to get. Come Friday night, she’ll be mine, for the night. 


As soon as the movie was done, Parker got up and ready to leave. 


“Don’t you want to stay a bit longer?” Nicki asked, still sitting on the couch. 


“Nah, I’m good. I’ll see you in the morning,” he said as he walked across the room to the front door. 


“God, what a DICK!” Heather said in disgust. “I’m sorry, but he was nothing but rude. Why do you keep giving him chances?”


“Our next date is likely our last if he doesn’t change. I chalked it up to an off day or two, but he didn’t even try to be understanding, especially when I told him nothing was happening after the movie.  Then to say my accident wasn’t that bad? Who knows what Justin and my relationship would be like if it had never happened.”


I have a pretty good idea based on that ring I saw, Heather thought. “I tried to warn you…”


“That’s not helping right now, but you’re right, you and everyone else I know warned me. I even asked Dr. Hanover for his opinion. He said to give the other guy a shot, but don’t put too much into it and lead him on if I’m in love with someone else.”


“So you admit you’re in love with Justin?” Heather asked. 


“Pretty sure, yeah,” Nicki laughed a little. “Like you said, all my feelings about him and things I’ll do with Justin on a date that I won’t let Parker, because I feel so safe with him.”


“You slept with him last night, didn’t you?” 


“It was my choice. I asked him, but yes. It was perfect, almost right out of The Notebook. I’m Allie and he’s Noah. We’ll find our way back together in the end.”


“Or you can just be with him now…”


“Again, not helping. He’s being very understanding and I don’t deserve it. Thankfully I’ll know in a couple days, not months or years.”


“I’m going to bed, I’m glad you’re keeping a more realistic view at this point, not just pushing Parker’s crap to the side.”



It was Friday night.  Parker dropped Nicki off at home to shower and change before going out to dinner. “I’ll pick you up in an hour, our reservations are at 7:30,” Parker said.


Nicki took a quick shower, washing the day off her without washing her hair and needing extra time. 


“Heather, can you help me figure out what to wear? He said someplace fancy, the name sounded familiar.”


Heather sighed. “Only because I’m hoping tonight is the last time you need me to do this.”


She decided on a blue dress, between a royal and navy, bold but somewhat dark. Her hair pulled half up, the rest in soft curls. She did a natural smoky eye to look dramatic without being over the top. 


She was finishing her makeup when Parker arrived. Heather opened the door. “She’s almost ready.”


Parker huffed. “How long does it take to get ready?”


“Do you have some giant stick up your ass?!” Heather said forcefully. 


“Excuse me?!” Parker barked. 


“The last few times you’ve been here you’ve been nothing but rude to me and Nicki. You’re lucky she’s giving you the time of day.”


Nicki coughed as she came down the hall, signaling to Heather to stop. “Hi,” she said, walking into the doorway. 


“Ready to go?” he asked. Nicki nodded. Parker glared at Heather before walking towards his car. He got in, leaving Nicki to get in by herself. She’d done it on her way to work, but figured for a date he’d be more polite. 


“You look nice,” Nicki said, looking at Parker in a basic black suit. 


“You do too.  Sorry about that,” he said halfheartedly. “It’s hard to get reservations and I hate being late.”


As they pulled up to the restaurant, Nicki felt things get more familiar. 


“I’ve been here before. I can’t remember what for, but I’ve been here before…” she said. 


As they walked in, she waited to check her coat. “I’ll have them bring me to the table,” she said. 


Their table was ready, so they seated Parker right away. Nicki soon followed, their hostess looking confused. 


“Would you like your regular table? It’s available at the moment,” she offered. “Much nicer than this one.  Parker and Nicki looked at each other confused, but nodded. They were seated at the new table. 


Their server came to get their drink order. “Hi Nicki, it’s been a while. We thought we’d see you here for Justin’s birthday…”


This is JUSTIN’S table… Parker groaned to himself. 


“Who is this? Someone you’re coordinating with for the wedding?”


Nicki’s jaw almost dropped to the floor.  


“W-wedding?” she asked in amazement. 


“You and Justin are still engaged, aren’t you? He proposed the last time you two were here…”


It was like a light came on in her head. 


“It all makes sense now. Why he was so dressed up at the hospital, why he’s been SO patient and everything with me. I knew it was a date, but not a DATE…” Her mind was going a million miles an hour. 


“You…” she looked at Parker. “Did you know?” she said accusatorily. 


“About being engaged, no.”


“How long were Justin and I together? How often have we come here?” she asked the server. 


“Birthdays, two anniversaries, other dates just because, and the engagement last month.  What happened?”


“I have to leave,” Nicki said, standing up. 


“Nicki, please, let me explain…”


“Outside, not that there’s much to explain.”


She walked outside, getting out her phone. Parker caught up to her, taking her hand.


“I knew you two were together, but I thought you

loved me, that’s why you agreed to go out with me. All the time we’d spent together at work, our dates last weekend…”


“You took advantage of my memory loss to try and get laid! Once I agreed to go out with you that’s all that’s mattered.  I liked you, a little, and wanted to give you a fair shot compared to what literally EVERYONE around me said about you!  I don’t love you! You need to leave. I never want to see you again.”


“I drove you here…”


“I’ll walk if I have to. Go, NOW!”


Parker stomped back to his car and drove off. 


Nicki got out her phone and texted Heather. 

 

What’s Justin’s address? I need to see my fiancé.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story