Chapter 6


Heather approached Nicki’s hospital room.  She knocked on the door, opening it a crack, and asked, “Can I come in?  It’s Heather.”


“Sure, Nicki said.  “My roommate, right?”


“I’m also your best friends, if I say so myself.”


“Are those guys with you again?” she asked eagerly.


“No, just me today,” Heather said.


“Who are they?  Friends of mine?  They were cute! Especially the one with the longer hair. “


“That’s my brother, he’s off limits.  You used to think he was cute, so that tracks at least…”


“What made me stop?”


“It’s not that you STOPPED, per se, but thought someone else was better…”


“Was it the other guy?  You said I was with him last night, before the accident.”


“I’m not sure how to answer that…” Heather hesitated.


“Honestly, please.  If you’re my best friend you wouldn’t keep stuff from me, right?”


“Not unless I had a REALLY good reason, no.  I don’t want to make you feel you have to be who you were before, if you really don’t remember.  I don’t want you to [pretend to be happy to please US, we all want you to be genuinely happy.”


“Was I on a date with him last night?” Nicki asked again, her voice demanding an answer.


“Damnit, yes,” Heather sighed.


“Do I like him?” Nicki continued.


“How did you feel seeing him here last night?”


“There was something I couldn’t explain.  I felt happy, but had no idea why.  He’s very handsome, I could see why I went out with him last night.  Was it our first date?”


“It was special, I’ll say that.  Have you had any other visitors?  I let our friends know what happened.  Not sure if any were able to see you yet.  I know it’s still early though.”


“No, just people here.  I’m a nurse here?”


“Yes, you work in pediatrics, with little kids.”


“I have no idea what to do.  How can I go back to my job if I don’t know how to do it?” Nicki panicked.  “I’d hate to let the kids down, but I don’t remember much of anything…”


“Talk with the doctors here, I’m sure you can at least volunteer so the kids can still see you.  Go to school, learn it all over again.  One step at a time, ok?”


“Is this why you’re my best friend, you know how to calm me down?” Nicki asked.


“One of many reasons, yes.”


“How did we meet?”


“We were roommates in college.  We had a lot in common, got along well, so we moved into our place after graduation.”  heather knew to leave JC and Justin being in *NSYNC out of the story.  When Nicki found out Heather’s last name was Chasez, related to JC, she had been super excited.  Heather didn't mind listening to their CDs, but he was just Josh, her brother.


“How long have you known Justin?” Nicki asked.


“I met him somewhere around ‘93, so like 12 years now?  He became friends with my brothers, so I saw him from time to time.”


“Are they best friends?”


“Yeah, more like brothers.  They’ve been through a lot together over the years, they had a close knit group of friends.”


“Did you ever think Justin was cute?” Nikci pressed.


“Heather swallowed hard.  “Just an innocent crush early on.  Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t kick him out of bed, but he’s so close to my brother, it’d be weird.”


“I wouldn’t mind going on a date with him once I’m home, get to know him.  I’m guessing he’s a nice guy if you let me go on a date with him.”


“I’ve never told you who you should or shouldn’t date, but yeah, he’s a sweet guy.  Down to earth once you get to know him.”


“If he has your stamp of approval, then I’m not opposed to the idea.”


“He’ll be happy to know that,” Heather smiled.


“Don’t say anything, I want to surprise him.  Can you have him visit me soon?”


“Sure.  You know you have his number, right? You can call him.”


There was a knock at the door.  A nurse walked in.  “Hi, we need to run some tests on you Nicki, help see what we need to do to help you get out of here soon.”


“I’ll leave you to it then.  Give him a call, he’d like to hear from you.”


After Nicki was gone, Heather went through Nicki’s bag the hospital had put her things in.  Along with her wallet and keys, she found the ring.


“Damn, must have cost a fortune,” she said out loud. I’ll give it back to him so he has it to propose again, someday, she thought.


She got out her phone and texted Justin.


Good news, J.  She thinks you’re cute ;) Come see her in a few hours, they’re running some tests right now.  I told her to call you, hopefully she does.  I’m heading home, see you soon.


Justin’s phone buzzed.  His eyes widened and softened, a smile spread from ear to ear.


“Glad you’re smiling,” JC said.  “What’s up?”


“Heather texted me.  Nicki said she thinks I’m cute!”


“See.  She may not have memories of you, but you can make new ones together.  Learn from any mistakes you made before and be a better version of you,” JC encouraged.

 

She thinks I’m cute, things will be back to normal in no time…



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story