Summer 2010

"I'm coming, I'm coming! Hold your damn horses!" Teddi called, as she raced down the stairs and for the front door, almost breaking her ankles along the way. Whoever it was would not stop ringing her doorbell. She couldn't wait to confront whoever it was, and bitch slap them. "I'm coming!" She yelled again, before reaching the door. She yanked open her front door and was met face-to-face with none other than JC Chasez. If it wasn't for those crystal-clear blue eyes, silky brunette hair, and gorgeous white smile, she would've gladly smacked hit.

"Hey buddy," JC greeted, with a shit-eating smile.

"Jace," Teddi sighed, she stepped aside to let him in. "Seriously dude, you almost got the shit smacked out of you. Why were you incessantly ringing my doorbell, where's your key?"

"Yeah, about that," JC said, walking through the foyer of Teddi's home.

"What about it?" Teddi asked suspiciously. She shut the wrought iron door and followed behind him. JC made his way to her living room. He plopped down on the expansive, plush, cream colored sectional, and kicked his feet up onto the coffee table. Teddi swiftly knocked his feet back down as soon as he'd propped them up and sat down next to him.

"Rachel didn't like that I had a key to your place," JC replied.

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel.... Teddi wracked her brain, trying to put a face to the name. JC had dated so many interchangeable tan, slightly exotic brunettes that she couldn't keep up. "Didn't you break up with that chick like months ago?"

"Yeah, well when we were together, she didn't like that I had the key to another woman's house, so I took it off my key ring to appease her." JC explained.

Teddi's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "JC that makes no sense. You have a key to Autumn's place! Did she make you take Autumn's house key off your key ring?"

"No, but that's different."

"How?" Teddi questioned. "I'm a woman. Tum's a woman!"

"Yeah, but Autumn's with Matt, and they're basically as good as married."

"Ugh! So, she's threatened by our friendship?!" Teddi exclaimed.

"Was," JC corrected.

"Right, was. So, where's your key, then?"

"I misplaced it," JC whispered.

"Misplaced it?"

"I mean, I put it up somewhere, where I thought I would remember but..."

"You don't remember," Teddi said, finishing his sentence.

JC nodded, and began to laugh.

"You're unbelievable, you know that, right?" Teddi asked, laughing too.

"And you love me," JC responded. He leaned his head on her shoulder, and Teddi's heart skipped a beat. He smelled like fresh soap and Armani men's cologne.

"That I do," Teddi smiled. She rubbed her fingers through his hair, eliciting a groan from him.

"Hmmm, that's feels so good," JC moaned, closing his eyes as her nails gently scraped against his scalp. "What time are you headed out tonight?" He asked, looking up at her.

"Five," Teddi replied.

"But the party doesn't start until eight," JC said.

"I know."

"Then why-"

"Because if I tell you five, you'll get here at six. With LA traffic we'd make it right at eight o'clock!"

"Damn, you know me so well," JC chuckled. 

"Yep."

"So why are both single, again?" JC asked.

"Shut up!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Later that day, Teddi was in her room, getting ready for the party. Jimmy Iovine was throwing his annual summer get together at his villa in the Hollywood Hills. Each year, he'd ask certain artists to perform and showcase their new music. This year, he'd reached out to Teddi and asked her showcase three songs from her upcoming album. Of course, she agreed. So many important industry people would be there. All week, her stomach had been in knots about performing for Jimmy's party. Not because of the industry execs, but because of JC. The songs she was performing were ones that she'd written and composed without JC. He hadn't even heard them. For the past seven years, JC Chasez had been her security blanket in more ways than one. Now, at twenty-five she was finally beginning to come into her own as a woman and she'd expressed that in her music. What would he think when he heard the songs? How would he react? Teddi tried desperately to push those thoughts to the back of her head.

Sitting down at her vanity mirror, she focused on applying her makeup: eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, foundation, blush, lipstick, and setting spray. She'd gone for a simple, classic look. Lately, she'd grown more comfortable in her own skin, no longer relying on heavy fake eyelashes, raccoon eyeliner, and cakey foundation that she thought hid her every imperfection. Recently, she'd discovered that less was more, and that imperfections were beautiful. Satisfied with her makeup, Teddi walked to her closet. She'd picked out the Alexander Wang dress that she had saved for this night. It was a dusty pink viscose, long sleeve mini dress that hit right at the thigh. The long V-neck showed just enough cleavage, but not too much. The dress was embellished in silver sequins, and the fabric was thin and airy, perfect for the hot July weather. She paired it with her never-before-worn silver and dusk blue Romy 100 Jimmy Choo pumps. The fireball silver glitter of the shoe would perfectly accent the dress. To accessorize, she chose a pair of four carat, white gold, diamond drop butterfly earrings, which had been a gift from an ex, custom made by Jacob the Jeweler.

After getting dressed, Teddi stood in the mirror to perfect her hair. Instead of the shocking dramatic jet-black color she used to dye her hair, she'd gone back to her natural color, a light caramel brown. Instead of waist length extensions, Teddi opted for her natural length, with her hair falling right at her bra strap. She styled her in deep side swept waves, all brushed to the right, with a side part to the right, and a pearled hairclip clipping back the right side of her hair.

With one final touch, she sprayed herself with Princess by Vera Wang. She checked the clock on her bathroom wall, 5:45. She smiled to herself. Still no JC. She expected him to arrive at no earlier than 6:15 pm. She couldn't wait to see what he was wearing. While he did make some questionable fashion choices, he'd mostly reserved those experimental looks for America's Best Dance Crew. Whenever they were to attend a star-studded event, JC would dress to the nines, always looking like an Old Hollywood movie actor. After seven years, she should be used to his classic good looks, but every time she looked at him, she felt like a fifteen-year-old girl all over again. Unfortunately for her, she wasn't someone who had the luxury of falling in love with her best friend. He was her co-writer, her collaborator, her musical soulmate. She wouldn't jeopardize that for anything in the world, so she had to keep her feelings in check at all times. More than that, he'd been her shoulder to lean on. When she was eighteen and had nothing, he was there for her. He had become her family. Sure, it was painful to see him date woman after woman, but she'd rather have JC in her life as a best friend, then to not have him in her life at all. And if that's the price she'd had to pay, then that was something she was willing to accept.

I fly like paper, get high like planes

If you catch me at the border, I got visas in my name

If you come around here, I make 'em all day

I get one down in a second if you wait

Teddi was startled by the sound of her ringtone. She walked from the bathroom and into her bedroom and retrieved her iPhone from the nightstand by her bed where it had been charging. What is it now, JC? She thought to herself. Reading the caller ID on her phone, Teddi realized that she didn't recognized the number. The number had 718 area code- Brooklyn. Thinking nothing of it, Teddi decided to answer the call. Perhaps it was someone from Geffen or Interscope's East Coast division. Quickly, she tapped on the green call button to answer the phone.

"Hello, Teddi Windsor speaking."

"Teddi?"

Teddi's blood ran cold at the sound on the other end of the phone. She could spot that voice from anywhere, and usually that was never a good thing. "Travis?" It was Travie McCoy, her rapper ex-boyfriend and lead of the Rap/Rock group Gym Class Heroes.

"Yeah, it's me. How have you been?"

"Travis, why are you calling me? How did you get this number?" Teddi had made it clear to him three-and-a-half years ago that he was never to contact her again, and that she wanted nothing to do with him.

"I miss you Teddi, and I just had to hear your voice," Travis said.

Teddi squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block him out. This could not be happening. "Travis," she sighed.

"I know. I know we didn't end on good terms, but I need to talk to you."

Teddi was stunned. How dare he? How dare he call her up out of the blue after everything had transpired between them? Her knees weak, Teddi collapsed onto her bed. "End on good terms? You pushed me down a flight of steps!"

Her heart raced a mile a minute as those thoughts came flooding back to her. Travis in a drug induced haze, Teddi trying to get him to go to rehab after staging an unsuccessful intervention. Everyone in his life had put everything on the line to try to convince him to go. The members of Fall Out Boy: Pete Wentz, Patrick Stump, Joe Trohman, Andy Hurley. His own bandmates, his cousin- rapper Tyga, his parents, his brother Tim. They'd threaten to cut contact, the band threatened to drop him, Pete Wentz who owned the label the band was signed to threatened to drop him from the label and replace him in Gym Class Heroes. Nothing worked, they'd fought for hours. They were in his apartment, and when she followed him upstairs, he'd gotten so upset that he pushed her the stairs, causing her to dislocate her shoulder. This caused a fight between him and all the guys, and Pete ended up taking her to the hospital that night. That was the last time she saw him. She left him, and never looked back. She changed her number and moved from her apartment in Venice to a more tightly secured one in West Los Angeles. That was early 2005. It had been five years.

"Teddi, I am so sorry," Travis apologized.

Teddi was at a loss for words. For the last five years she'd thought of all the things she would say to him when it came time to face him again. But now that it was happening, everything had gone out the window.

"Travis, I don't know what to say."

"Say you forgive me."

"Travis, listen I appreciate you calling to apologize, but I don't know what more you want from me." Teddi could hear Travis sigh on the other end of the phone.

"I'm not asking anything of you," Travis replied. "I just... I want a fresh start."

"A fresh start?" Teddi scoffed. "A fresh start to what?"

"I was hoping that we could get to know each other again."

"Travis," Teddi sighed. "That door shut a long time ago. There's no reason for us to be talking again."

"Listen I know I fucked up; I've thought about us every single day for the past five years. That's why things didn't work out with Katy," Travis explained, mentioning his ex-girlfriend, pop star Katy Perry. "I'm gonna forever regret the way I treated you, and I would give anything to make it up to you."

Teddi felt her heart drop. She felt sorry for him, but the feelings were just no longer there. The young, naïve girl that she was at twenty, wasn't who she was now. She refused to ever go back down that road. "Travis, I feel that you're being sincere, and I appreciate your transparency. I don't hold resentment for you anymore. I wish you nothing but the best, but there is no more us. I've let go, and I think it's time that you let go too."

"So, this is it, huh?" Travis asked sadly.

"Yes," Teddi said soft, yet firmly, standing her ground.

"I just want you to know that you're the one who got away."

Teddi snapped her head back and blinked back the tears threatening to fall from her eyes and ruin her makeup. This could not be happening tonight of all nights, she thought. "Please don't say that." Travis, when he was sober, was an amazing man. He was kind and caring. An empath. It's what made her fall for him in the first place. If he was finally clean, and getting back to himself, she didn't down that he would find his soulmate. He was a great guy. Just not her great guy. "Travis you're a great guy. Really. You're gonna find the perfect woman who you'll want to spend the rest of your life. When you meet her, you'll just know."

"So, I guess this is goodbye?" Travis said, sounding defeated.

"Don't view as a bad thing. Think of it as new beginning," Teddi encouraged.

"Well, I guess I have no choice but to accept it."

"Goodbye Travis," Teddi said, letting a tear escape and roll down her cheek.

"Goodbye Teddi," Travis replied before finally hanging up.

Teddi stared down at her phone, dumbfounded by what had just transpired. Another tear fell. Great, now she had to go and touch up her makeup. One good thing about being best friends with JC Chasez? He was never on time. Teddi got up form her California king bed and rushed into the bathroom to touch up her makeup. Her phone rang again, and she answered it, placing it on speaker phone.

"Hello?"

"Where are you guys?" It was Autumn.

"I'm at home. As for JC? Who knows," Teddi replied, as she picked up her beauty blender and dampening it under the dripping faucet. She brought the blender to her face and began to blend in the foundation she had reapplied.

"He probably got distracted," Autumn assumed.

"Probably," Teddi agreed, swiping blush onto the apples of her cheeks. "Are you guys there already?"

"Oh God, no. We're on the 101 stuck in traffic."

"Ugh! Joshua you better hurry your ass up!" Teddi groaned.

"I mean it is a good thing you're performing last, I'm sure you'll make it by then," Autumn joked.

"Oh haha. You'll never guess who just called me," Teddi said, changing the subject.

"Hmm, don't tell me... Ashton Kutcher!"

"If you could only see the look I'm giving you right now," Teddi stated, with her eyes squinted and her lips twisted.

Autumn laughed. "No seriously, who?"

"Travis."

"What?!" Autumn shrieked.

"Yeah, I know, right?!"

"You're not-"

"No, no, no! No way in Hell," Teddi assured her.

"What happened?" Teddi could hear Autumn's boyfriend ask in the background.

"Eyes on the road babe," Autumn snapped. "Good" Autumn said this time to Teddi.

"I was caught so completely off guard. He asked if we could start over," Teddi explained.

"Shut up!" Autumn gasped. "Wait, how did he even get your number?"

"That's exactly what I want to know."

"Creepy."

"Right?!"

"So, what did you say?" Autumn asked curiously.

"I told him as politely as I could that that chapter was closed. There is no longer an us, and that I've forgiven him and moved on, and he should too," Teddi said, summarizing her conversation with Travis.

"You did the right thing," Autumn assured her.

"I know. I just... Gaahh. Now he's all in my head, and it's totally throwing me off," Teddi admitted.

"Don't let it," Autumn responded. "You're gonna do great tonight, you always do. Just think of Josh when you're up there singing."

"Autumn, please not this again." Teddi sighed, as she placed all of her makeup and brushes back into her makeup case.

"Anyone with eyes can see it," Matt yelled into Autumn's phone. "Even people without eyes can see it. Hell, Stevie wonder can see it."

"Matt!" Autumn exclaimed.

"Geez, it's not like he's here!"

Teddi laughed. What would she do without them in her life?

"You're crazy about Josh and he's crazy about you," Autumn said. "And yet you two insist on doing this high school like dance, both refusing to be the one to make the first move. I'm giving you guys exactly a year. If you're not together by then, then I'm kidnapping the both of you and locking you in a cozy romantic cabin somewhere in Tahoe until you guys finally come to your senses and get together!"

"You know sometimes, I don't even know what to say to you," Teddi chuckled.

Ring, ring.

Saved by the freakin' bell, Teddi thought. "That's JC now, gotta go. See you soon."

"Speak of the JC, and he shall appear!" Autumn quipped.

"Bye," Teddi laughed.

"Bye."

Teddi hit the red end button and made her way downstairs.

Ring, ring.

The excessive ringing really was getting annoying. Teddi made a mental note to get JC's key replaced. Hitting the last step, Teddi made her way through the foyer and to the front door. She opened it and came face to face with JC. There he stood in all his glory, clad in a crisp black button down, fitted dark wash True Religion jeans, black leather boots. His short dark hair coifed to perfection, and simple silver cross pendant necklace hung from his neck. Even in such a simple outfit, the man radiated sex. Whoa, Teddi thought. Breathe girl, breathe.

"Whoa," JC said, staring at Teddi. He stood in the doorway taking her in. She looked like a vision in the pink mini dress she wore. It stopped right at her toned thighs and showcase the right amount of cleavage. She looked beautiful in minimal makeup, and her hair tossed to one side. How was he supposed to be able to resist her?

"What?" Teddi asked self-consciously, bringing a hand to her cheek. "D-do I have something on my face?"

"No, no. It's just that you look amazing," JC replied, regaining his composure.

"Wow, thanks," Teddi replied, relieved. "I can say the same about you."

"So, are you ready?" JC asked, brushing off her compliment.

"Yeah, hold on," Teddi replied. She shuffled down the foyer to grab her keys and silver clutch from the foyer table. She retrieved them and walked back to the door. "Ready," she said to JC.

"Alright, let's do this!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~

"So, when are you gonna convince this guy to release another album?"

"I've been trying to," Teddi said pointedly, staring up at JC. Jimmy Iovine's party was in full swing, and Teddi and JC were conversing with songwriter and music producer, Ron Fair. OneRepublic was currently performing.

JC stared down at his boots. Teddi and Ron stared at him. "Umm, I think that ship has sailed," JC finally said.

"Not according to your fans," Teddi countered. "They constantly tweet me asking about you. When are you gonna get on Twitter anyway?"

"Do I need a Twitter? I have a Myspace," JC replied.

"You still have a Myspace page?" Ron asked, smirking.

"JC, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no one is on Myspace anymore," Teddi said clapping hand on his shoulder.

"So, it looks like we need to backtrack," Ron surmised. "First things first, get your social media in order and then start working on that album. John, I need to talk to you buddy," Ron called, as record executive John Janick walked past them. "Catch up with you guys later," Ron said, leaving Teddi and JC alone.

"He's right you know," Teddi said. "Social media is the future and I think you're underestimating your fanbase."

"I thought tonight was about you," JC said to Teddi.

"You always do that," Teddi stated.

"Do what?"

"Brush off compliments. You're too humble for your own good."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," JC said dismissively.

"You're doing it again!"

"What time is your set again?" JC asked, desperate to change the subject.

Teddi decided to play along. "In about an hour."

"Are you- Oh hey, what's up?" JC was cut off midsentence when Nicole Scherzinger came up and wrapped her arms around JC's torso from behind.

"Hey," Nicole said seductively into his ear. She unwrapped her arms from around him and faced both he and Teddi. "Hi Teddi," she greeted, embracing her in a hug.

"Hey Nicole," Teddi smiled. "I loved your set."

"Thank you," Nicole said, her speaking voice low and sultry.

Nicole had this thing about her, this aura. She was out-of-this-world beautiful, and phenomenally talented. She was sexy without trying to be and was an incredibly nice human being. She was the total package and Teddi could totally understand why JC previously had a fling with her.

"I can't wait to hear your new songs," Nicole said sweetly.

Suddenly, the tension between the three of them began to grow thicker. Teddi needed an out. "Actually, I'm gonna go talk to Tony," Teddi said, referencing the sound engineer. She quickly walked off without looking at either of them.

Teddi headed for the open bar. She and JC frequently took turns being the designated driver, and since she was performing songs that he hadn't heard she decided she needed a little liquid courage. Since it was JC's turn to drive, she figured one more drink wouldn't hurt her. As she rounded the corner of the spacious backyard, she collided with a rock-hard body. Strong arms reached out to steady her, preventing her from falling.

"Whoa, Theodore, watch your step!"

Teddi felt a familiar rush at the sound of his voice and looked up to see Tyson Ritter, one of her exes. When they dated, he used to playfully call her Theodore, despite the fact that Teddi was her legal name, and not a nickname. She used to hate it at first, but eventually it grew on her. Sometimes he'd even call her Theo. She hadn't realized how much she missed being called that until this very moment.

"Oh my God! Tyson, it's so good to see you!" Teddi exclaimed, wrapping her arms around him. He wrapped his arms around her waist, embracing her in a hug. He still smelled just as good as she remembered.

"Good to see you too." Tyson smiled, finally letting her go. "How's life been treating you?"

"Well I'm still clumsy, as I'm sure you can see," Teddi joked. Tyson laughed. His smile warmed her heart.

Tyson had been her first boyfriend after moving to LA. She'd met him backstage at the House of Blues after he'd finished performing with his band, The All-American Rejects. They'd formed an instant connection. Their relationship was easy. Smooth sailing. In fact, he was the best ex she had. He was kind and considerate, faithful, and trustworthy. He was great when it came to date nights and romantic gestures, and the long distance hadn't been a problem. They never fought. Ever. He was like the textbook perfect boyfriend. After a year of dating, they decided to split amicably and always remained on good terms.

"So..." Tyson dragged unsure of what to say.

Teddi smiled. She always loved his adorable awkwardness. It was so endearing. "So..." she pried.

"Are you seeing anyone?"

Teddi laughed.

"Sorry, that was too forward wasn't it?" Tyson asked. He brought his hand to the back of his neck and began to scratch. One of his nervous ticks.

"No Tyson, I'm not seeing anyone," Teddi replied.

"Wow, really?" He asked. "I just thought that by now that... I mean you and... Never mind."

"What?" Teddi asked curiously.

"I just thought that you and JC would be together by now," Tyson said honestly.

"Me and JC?" Teddi asked incredulously.

"I mean, yeah. You always seemed so perfect for each other, and you guys did show up together tonight, and I guess I just assumed..."

"Wow," Teddi stated, taking everything in. "Tyson JC and I aren't together. We never have been, never will be. We're just friends." Why did she feel the need to convince him? Why did it matter?

"Okay," Tyson said simply.

"You don't believe me," Teddi gasped.

"All I'm saying is that there's a reason I walked away."

"Wait? What?!" Teddi asked, shocked. "I thought our split was amicable!"

"I mean, it was to an extent. We were great together."

"Yeah!"

"But I could tell I wasn't your forever, and I didn't want to prolong anything, knowing it was only going to end in heartbreak," Tyson admitted.

For the second time that night, Teddi was left speechless. What was this? Ex-boyfriend night? "I-I..." she stammered. "Tyson, I wasn't going to break your heart." God, now she felt horrible.

"You were amazing Teddi. Are amazing," he corrected. "And all I wanted was to see you happy."

"I was happy with you," Teddi replied. "Very happy!"

"But I knew it wasn't always going to be that way. Your heart belonged to someone else, and I didn't want to be the one to get in the way of that, so I made the difficult decision to step aside."

Teddi stared at him, stunned by the revelation. "Tyson. I don't know what to say." Did she have feelings for JC? Sure, but she didn't want that to get in the way of her relationships. Any hope that she was holding out for she and JC was nothing more than a pipe dream. Wishful thinking. She'd never seriously explore her feeling for JC or pursue anything with him. He was her best friend.

"It's okay," Tyson smiled. He reached for her hand and interlaced his fingers with hers. "You don't have to say anything. We're still good, right?"

"Of course," Teddi smiled back. "Always will be."

"Great. That's all I care about."

Teddi leaned into Tyson and placed her head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her, embracing her in a hug. She hadn't realized just how much she missed him. "Maybe we should hang out some time," she suggested.

"I'd like that," Tyson replied.

Teddi could feel his chest vibrate as we spoke. "Tandoori Hollywood on the couch? Just like old times?"

"And Dude, Where's My Car?" Tyson responded.

"Sounds perfect," Teddi smiled, looking up at him.

"I'll even let you eat all the naan."

"Is that a promise?" Teddi asked hopefully.

"Promise," Tyson assured her. "You still have my number, right?"

"I never lost it!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*

JC watched from across the yard as Teddi stared up at Tyson Ritter. His arms were wrapped around her waist, and she was tight in his embrace. It was past 9:00 and the sun was starting to set. Red Chinese knot string lights illuminated the yard, creating an orang-y glow. From where he standing, to JC it looked like they were happy.

"Hey dude, what's up?" JC turned to see Autumn.

"Hey Tum," JC greeted her. "Where's Matt?"

"In the bathroom. He ate salmon puffs after I explicitly told him not to."

"TMI," JC cringed.

Autumn followed JC's gaze and spotted Teddi and Tyson. "Do you think they should get back together?"

"Huh?" JC asked.

"Do you think they should get back together?" Autumn repeated. "They were good together."

"Yeah, they were," JC said flatly.

"Or maybe the operative question is, do you want them to get back together?" Autumn pried.

"Why should I care?" JC scoffed. "Teddi's love life is none of my business."

"But you wanna make it your business," Autumn presumed.

"Autumn," JC groaned.

"JC," Autumn mocked.

"Don't start with this again."

"You're an idiot," Autumn said.

"Excuse me?"

"Just do us all a favor and tell you love her. Idiot!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A little while later, Teddi sat next at a table with JC, Autumn, and Adam. They were by seated close to the stage, and they watched as Fergie wrapped up her set.

"Alright, let's give another round of applause to the Dutchess herself- Fergie," Jimmy Iovine called into the microphone. The audience clapped and cheered. Fergie took another bow before exiting the stage. "Up next, we have a two-time Grammy award winner."

Teddi felt JC place his hand on her knee underneath the table. She took in a deep breath and Jimmy began to introduce her. She wasn't nervous to perform for all the industry executives in attendance. She wasn't nervous because she ran into Tyson. She was nervous to perform her new songs in front of JC. He would be hearing them for the first time along with everyone else. Usually, he was always the first one to hear her songs whether they were in the studio, or at one of their houses. Just the two of them. He could always read her so well, and she was afraid of how he'd react to her songs.

"Everyone give a big round of applause as I welcome our next guest, Teddi Windsor!"

"Well here goes nothing," Teddi mumbled before standing.

"You've got this," JC assured her.

Teddi walked to the stage and met Jimmy at the microphone. He gave her a big hug. Teddi was met with loud claps and cheers. "Thank you having me Jimmy," she said graciously into the microphone. Jimmy smiled and slightly bowed his head to her, before exiting the stage.

"Good evening, how's everyone doing tonight?" Teddi asked the audience. They cheered back at her. "This first song is an oldie, and hopefully you all know it. If not, then maybe I think a little too highly of myself," she joked, and the audience laughed. She looked back at Calvin Harris, who was deejaying. She nodded her head, indicating that she was ready. He started the first track. And Teddi began to sing Tattoo, a song from her previous album. She'd written it about Brody. She smiled when she realized the audience was singing along with her. At the climax she held her microphone out to the audience and let them sing the lyrics:

I can't waste time so give it a moment

I realize nothing's broken no need to worry bout everything I done

Live every second like it was my last one

Don't look back got a new direction

I loved you once

Needed protection

You're still a part of everything I do

You're in my heart just like a tattoo

Teddi finished out the song and was received with a round of applause.

"Thank you. So, you guys do actually know that song! These next few songs however, no one knows. Yet. They're on my upcoming album, and I wrote all three of them myself. This first song is called I Bruise Easily, and I hope you all like it."

Calvin started up the next track, and the mellow sound of the track filled the yard. After the intro, Teddi sang into the microphone.

My skin is like a map

Of where my heart has been

And I can't hide the marks

But it's not a negative thing

So I let down my guard

Drop my defences down by my clothes

I'm learning to fall

With no safety net to cushion the blow

 

I bruise easily

So be gentle when you handle me

There's a mark you leave

Like a love heart carved on a tree

I bruise easily

Can't scratch the surface

Without moving me underneath

I bruise easily

I bruise easily

As she sang, Teddi though of what Autumn told her earlier; Just think of Josh when you're up there singing. And that's exactly what she did. After all, she did write it about him. All of the things she'd longed to say to him over the years. She had gotten her heart broken a fair share of times, and after each heartbreak, JC had been the one to pick up the pieces and put her back together again. She wanted to badly to confess her love to him. To tell him that he was the one for her.

I found your fingerprints

On a glass of wine

Do you know you're leaving them

All over this heart of mine too

But if I never take this leap of faith

I'll never know

So I'm learning to fall

With no safety net to cushion the blow

JC stirred in his seat, every word hitting him like a tidal wave. He had known Teddi long enough to know where her lyrics came from. He could read her like a book, and in some ways, he knew her better than she knew herself. He could deny it to Autumn, and to whoever else, but he couldn't deny it to himself. Teddi was singing to him. The words she had written were meant for him.

Anyone who can touch you

Can hurt you or heal you

Anyone who can reach you

Can love you or leave you

 

So be gentle...

JC felt his chest tighten as he paid close attention to the words she sang. Teddi closed out the song, singing the chorus for a final time. She took a bow and the audience clapped.

"I admit I was a little nervous to sing that one," she said. "It took a lot for me to write it, and I never thought I'd let anyone hear it. This next song is just as close to my heart, and comes from a vulnerable place, so I hope you all can appreciate it."

JC braced himself, waiting for Teddi to sing the next song. He hadn't expected to feel the way he did after the first song, and if this one was coming from an equally vulnerable place, he wouldn't know if he could handle that much honestly in one night. He listened as the sound of guitar strings filled the speakers.

Incompatible, it don't matter though

'Cause someone's bound to hear my cry

Speak out if you do

You're not easy to find

Is it possible Mr. Loveable

Is already in my life?

Right in front of me

Or maybe you're in disguise

Who doesn't long for someone to hold

Who knows how to love you without being told

Somebody tell me why I'm on my own

If there's a soulmate for everyone

 

Teddi's voice was raw and piercing. Taking JC's breath away.

 

Here we are again, circles never end

How do I find the perfect fit

There's enough for everyone

But I'm still waiting in line

Who doesn't long for someone to hold

Who knows how to love you without being told

Somebody tell me why I'm on my own

If there's a soulmate for everyone

If there's a soulmate for everyone

Most relationships seem so transitory

They're all good but not the permanent one

From her place on the stage, Teddi let the words she'd written pour out from her. JC would know how she felt, even if it was indirect, and this way, she never had to tell him. Being up there and singing these songs, especially in front of JC was cathartic for her. As she brought the song to an end, she was blown away the audience's reaction and was overcome with emotion she received a standing ovation. She stepped away from the microphone and turned her back toward the audience to quickly wipe her tears.

She turned back to face the audience and leaned into the microphone. "Oh my God, wow! I was not expecting that, like at all!" Teddi exclaimed. "Thank you guys so much, you're all so amazing!" She took a moment to compose herself before speaking again. "Okay this next song is not as sappy, I promise! It's called These Words, and I hope you all like it."

Calvin started up the next track, and an up-tempo drum beat filled the yard. "Everyone clap your hands," Teddi commanded, as she clapped her own overhead. The audience followed suit. She took the microphone from the stand and walked around the stage as she began to sing.

Threw some chords together

The combination D-E-F

It's who I am, it's what I do

And I was gonna lay it down for you

Try to focus my attention

But I feel so A-D-D

I need some help, some inspiration

But it's not coming easily

 

Teddi thought back to when she began writing the song. She wanted to express her love for JC in a song, but no matter how hard she tried, lyrics wouldn't come. She'd wanted nothing more than to call him up and ask for help. But she couldn't. The song was about him. The song took her weeks to finish.

Trying to find the magic (Woah oh)

Trying to write a classic (Woah oh)

Don't you know, don't you know, don't you know? (Woah oh)

Waste-bin full of paper

Clever rhymes, see you later

These words are my own

From my heart flow

I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you

There's no other way

To better say

I love you, I love you

 

JC bobbed his head along to the rhythm, the lyrics not lost on him. I love you. She loved him.

Read some Byron, Shelley and Keats

Recited it over a Hip-Hop beat

I'm having trouble saying what I mean

With dead poets and drum machines

JC's favorites poets. He thought back to when she was nineteen, and they were working on her first album. She'd had a raw talent for songwriting, that needed polishing and refining. She was frustrated that couldn't perfectly articulate her feelings into lyrics, so JC had lent her some books with poems by his favorite poets. He loved watching her grow into the artist that she was now. She'd gone from being a sheltered and naïve teenager to a self-assured and confident grown woman.

You know I had some studio time booked

But I couldn't find a killer hook

Now you've gone and raised the bar right up

Nothing I write is ever good enough

Teddi thought about how expressive JC was. He was so cerebral, and every song he wrote was its own masterpiece. In the seven years that she had known him, Teddi wanted to be just as good as him, and for him to be proud her. She wanted to be good enough for him, in more ways than one.

I'm getting off my stage

The curtains pull away

No hyperbole to hide behind

My naked soul exposes

Teddi was removing her filter. She liked to crack jokes, and hide behind her humor. Now, she was being honest, and laying her heart on the line. Teddi repeated the course twice, and sand the last lines in a sing-speaking style:

These words are my own

From my heart

I love you, I love you

That's all I got to say

Can't think of a better way

And that's all I've got to say

I love you, is that okay?

Teddi received another standing ovation. Her heart was full. She did it. She sang her most vulnerable lyrics in front of the person they were intended for. "Thank you!" Teddi cheered into the microphone and took one final bow. She turned her head in JC's direction. He was standing and clapping, with a smile on his face a mile wide. Her heart nearly exploded. JC liked it, and that was all that mattered to her.

*~*~*~**~*~**~*~*

It was 2:00 am, and JC and Teddi were finally on their way home. The party was a success and so was Teddi performance. As she sat in the passenger seat of JC's black Mercedes E-Class, she rode the wave of post-performance endorphins. With one of JC's old jackets draped over her shoulders, Teddi turned up the radio, and leaned back into the passenger seat, making herself comfortable. Traffic was heavy, as per usual on a Friday night in LA, so the ride would be long.

JC glanced over at Teddi. She looked adorable being swallowed up by his jacket. Her eyes were closed, and her head rested against the headrest. He smiled at how peaceful and angelic she looked. He wished he could take a picture of her just like that.

"Stop staring at me Jace," Teddi sighed, her eyes still shut.

"I'm not staring at you," JC replied, fighting off the urge to laugh.

She opened her eyes and met his, his gaze on her intense. Her heart dipped to her stomach. "So, what do you call what you're doing now?"

"Not staring... observing."

Teddi grinned and closed her eyes again. "Smooth Mr. Chasez, real smooth." She could feel the car slowly pull forward. Traffic had started to move forward, and they were headed onto the interstate.

A comfortable silence washed over them, as music began to play on the Sirius XM station.

"Ooh turn that up," Teddi demanded, when You Sang to Me by the Marc Anthony began to play. It was hard for her to pinpoint a favorite song when she was asked, but if someone put a gun to her head and she'd have to choose, without hesitation she would say You Sang to Me was her favorite.

"Seriously?" JC smiled and rolled his eyes but obliged anyway. "You know I actually used to like this song before you played it to death," he said conceding to her wishes. He turned up the radio and Marc Anthony's voice filled the car.

Teddi sang along. "I just wanted you to comfort me, when I call you late last night you see I was falling into love, yes I was crashing into love..."

JC rolled his eyes as Teddi emphasized every word.

"You know why I never share this song with any of my boyfriends?"

"Why?" JC asked curiously.

"Because if I ever made this a song in a relationship, when they inevitably break my heart, I wouldn't be able to listen to it, anymore, and I cannot imagine my life without out this song in it."

JC felt sad for her. Much like him, music was Teddi's driving force and she like to attach certain songs to certain parts of her life. He hadn't realized just how much the song meant to her. He listened as she began to sing the chorus.

"All the while you were in front of me, I never realized, I just can't believe I didn't see it in your eyes," Teddi sang. "Ugh, this song is just so beautiful I have to have Marc Anthony sing this at my wedding someday! JC sing," Teddi encouraged.

"Uh-uh, no way," JC chuckled.

"Please," Teddi begged. "For me?" He had the most beautiful voice on earth and hearing him sing those lyrics would make her night. Hell, it would make her life! "Please..."

JC could never say no to Teddi. Very few people had that power over him. Hell, his mom was the only other person who had that power over him.

"Josh, please..."

JC relented, and belted out the second verse, "Just to think you love inside of me, I had no idea how this could be, now I'm crazy for you, can't believe I'm crazy for your love. The words you said, you sang to me, and you showed me where I wanna be, and you sang to me, ooooh you sang to me...."

Teddi watched as JC sang the verse with such passion and vigor. Butterflies swirled in the pit of her stomach as she imagined that he was singing the words to her.

"Happy?" He asked her.

"As can be," Teddi smiled.

An hour later JC had pulled in front of Teddi's house. He drove up to the gate and rolled down his window to enter in the code to her security gate. Once inside, he creeped up the cobblestoned  driveway to the Spanish style villa. He drove her all the way to her front door.

"Thanks JC," Teddi said, breaking the silence.

"For, what?" JC asked.

"For... everything." Teddi replied, choosing her words carefully. The bit down on her bottom lip and mulled over what she was about to say. "For always being there for me, for never failing me."

JC stared at Teddi, his heart swelling. "That's what friends are for."

Friends. That word turned over and over in her mind.

"JC," Teddi spoke again.

"Yes?"

"My songs," she replied.

"What about them?" JC asked nervously.

"What did you think of them?" Teddi asked.

"I thought they were great," JC answered honestly. "They showed much growth and maturity. I think they should be the first three singles on the new album."

Teddi sighed. That hadn't been the answer she'd been looking for. Maybe she should just leave it alone. But there was something nagging at her, and she wouldn't be satisfied until she spoke her mind. "JC. You know those songs are about you, right?" She bowed her head, too afraid to look at him.

A moment of silence passed between them, but it felt like an eternity. When JC hadn't spoken, she finally turned to look at him. He seemed to be deep in thought. "JC? Say something, please."

"I know," JC sighed.

Teddi took a deep breath. It was all out there. She anxiously waited for him to say more.

JC's mind raced a million miles a minute. He knew those songs were about him. He knew how she felt about him, and he'd be lying if he said he didn't feel the same. But he also saw the way she looked at Tyson tonight. How in love she looked. Tyson had been her most stable boyfriend. The only one he had approved of. He was a great guy, and Teddi had been so in love with him. The way she looked at him tonight was the same way she looked at him all those years ago back when they were together. He couldn't take that chance with her if there was someone else. If he was gonna have her, he wanted all of her, not just a piece. Most of all, he couldn't risk losing his best friend.

"I can't go there with you Teddi," JC finally said. He looked out his window, not wanting to see her face when he said those words.

JC's words hit Teddi like a ton of bricks. All these years that she'd been falling for JC, and she was almost sure he'd felt the same. Had it all been in her head the entire time? Oh my God, she thought. I am such an idiot. "Are you really telling me that you don't have feelings for me?"

"Teddi, you are one of my closest friends, and I love you more than anything. I just... I don't love you in that way," JC lied. He was trying to convince himself more than anyone else. It hurt to say those words, so he couldn't imagine how much they hurt Teddi. His heart shattered at the thought that he was breaking hers. He finally turned to look at her. She was wiping away tears. "Teddi I-"

"No. It's fine JC. I'm fine. You don't have to explain yourself, it's okay." Teddi reached into the backseat and grabbed her clutch. She took off his jacket and tossed it in the back. She opened the passenger door and put one leg out. Before she could get out of the car, JC reached for, grabbing her arm.

"Are you really gonna leave things like this between us?" he asked.

"I don't know what you want me to say," Teddi replied.

Say that we're okay, please JC thought. "So, you're going to pretend like this isn't happening?"

"Now that I know how you feel, yeah," Teddi responded coldly. "This is all my fault I never should have said anything. Goodnight JC." Teddi got out of the car, and slammed the door shut behind her.

JC watched as she unlocked her door and waited until she was safely inside. He sat outside of her house for a while contemplating everything that had just taken place. He felt the urge to walk up to the door, ring the bell, barge in, and tell her that he'd made a mistake. That she was the love of his life, and that he didn't want anyone else but her. It took everything in his power to pull out of her driveway that night. Teddi had put her heart on the line, and all JC had to do was not break it, and he failed. He ruined everything.

 

Anyone who can touch you

Can hurt you or heal you

Anyone who can reach you

Can love you or leave you

 

Chapter End Notes:

Song Credits

Paper Planes- M.I.A.

Tattoo- Jordin Sparks 

I Bruise Easily- Natasha Bedingfield

Soulmate- Natasha Bedingfield

These Words- Natasha Bedingfield

You Sang to Me- Marc Anthony



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story