March 01, 2014

It was the week of Autumn and Matt's wedding and their entire friend group had been running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to make their special day as smooth as possible. Autumn's and Matt's families were in town which had been a big help. Teddi was so grateful for April, Autumn's sister being the maid of honor, which meant she got to take a step back. Hallelujah! Now, all she had to do was focus on her song.

Autumn had requested that both she and JC sing at their wedding, individually and as a duet. At first, she was nervous to sing at a wedding with JC. A wedding, knowing how she felt about him. Weddings were the place when all the singles reevaluated their lives and the loves in them. She didn't know if she'd be able to handle it. But after Valentine's Day she was hit with a rush of inspiration. That night after the Justin's show was the best night of her life. JC had taken her back to his place and they made love. It was the most intimate, romantic, passionate time of her life. She hadn't wanted it to end. She never thought that she and JC would ever do such a thing. It was far beyond what she'd ever dreamed up. Waking up in his arms the next morning felt so right; she was exactly where she was supposed to be. She hadn't wanted to leave, and he asked her to stay. She spent the entire day his T-shirts, which were oversized on her small frame. They showered together and spent the entire day making love. Only stopping eat and use the bathroom. They couldn't keep their hands off of each other. They'd waited so long for this, and it felt so right.

JC and Teddi decided to take things slow. They hadn't put a label on it yet. They were too afraid to make a mistake, so they decided to move their relationship at a snail's pace. They wouldn't let anyone know they were together until they made it official. If they were going to do this, then they were doing this on their own terms. So, what if their nosy ass friends had a problem with it?

Sitting in her basement studio, Teddi sat at in a chair with her acoustic guitar in her lap. She was rehearsing the song she'd written for Autumn and Matt's reception. She smiled as she read over the lyrics. JC hadn't heard the song yet, and she hadn't heard what he had written either. They only thing they'd worked on together was the duet they'd written together.

"C'mon aren't you gonna show me what you're working on?" JC had pressed her for information about her song.

"Nope," Teddi replied smugly.

"Okay fine, then you won't get to hear what I wrote until the night of the reception."

"Okay, deal?"

"Deal."

She was so excited to present the song. Initially when Autumn asked her to write a song for the wedding, she had a severe case of writer's block. After Tyson, she hadn't as so much looked at another man. Her love life rivaled the Sahara. But that night with JC after Justin's concert, a fire had been lit within her, and the lyrics just came pouring out. For the first time in a long time, she allowed her mind to wander with endless possibilities of she and JC and where they could go. She allowed all of her wildest dreams to run free, and it resulted in a perfectly composed ballad. Teddi had a deep feeling that it would reach more than Autumn and Matt.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

On the other side of town, JC was at Don Giovanni's an upscale menswear store picking up his suit and shoes for the wedding. After spending Valentine's Day and the following day with Teddi, he was feeling optimistic about the events happening over the next few days. Sometimes, he hated Justin's stunts and affinity for the dramatics, but this time he owed him, and he owed him big.

"Will this be all sir?" The sales associate, a young brunette asked.

"Yes, that'll be all sweetheart," JC replied, and the young woman instantly blushed.

JC followed the sales associate to the cash register. As he stood in front of the counter, he listened to the music over the sound system. The store had been playing instrumental Bossa Nova style music, when suddenly a familiar song started to play; You Sang to Me, by Marc Anthony. Teddi's favorite song. JC smiled to himself. It's like everywhere he went there was always a piece of her with him. As the young woman rang up his order, and processed his credit card, for the first time he really took time to listen to the lyrics.

All the while you were in front of me, I never realized

I just can't believe I didn't see it in your eyes

I didn't see it (see it)

I can't believe it (believe it)

Oh, but I feel it (feel it)

When you sing to me

The words pierced him like a shot to the heart as he came to a startling realization; It was Teddi, and it had been Teddi all along. He felt like such an idiot that it took him so long to realize it. He felt foolish to ever question her feelings for him, his feelings for her. Where would they be by now if hadn't turned her down all those years ago? There was a reason why it hadn't worked out with Kathryn or Rachel or Eva, and why for Teddi it hadn't worked out with Tyson, Travis, Brendon, or any of the others. JC and Teddi belonged together. She was the one.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

4 Days Later

"Okay, I know I can be an asshole sometimes, but I promise to keep it sweet!" The audience erupted in laughter. The wedding had gone off without a hitch, and now Autumn's sister, and maid-of-honor, April was giving her speech at the reception.

The outdoor reception was beautifully designed. The Fig House in Hollywood had been transformed into a lover's paradise. Strings of white lights hung from the branches of the weeping oak trees, each table had a beautiful floral arrangement of carnations and peonies in the center, and each tablecloth was a beautiful satin ivory, accented in lavender- Autumn's bridal party color of choice. No detail was spared, and there was even a step-and-repeat at the entrance where guests could take red carpet-like photos.

"Autumn, you've been in my life ever since I could remember. I didn't have a choice."

Everyone laughed.

"With you being only eighteen months younger, you were practically my shadow, so I had to get used to you. But once I did, we became the very best of friends. We shared everything together, secrets, clothes, boys. I have some of the best memories I have are with you. We've been through so many ups and downs over the years and I know that I would not have made it through some of my most trying times without you by my side." April started to tear up. She turned her head away from the microphone stand and quickly wiped her tears, before speaking again.

"When Matt entered the picture, there was a little friction between us in the beginning. I cannot lie and say that I wasn't jealous. You were only twenty-three, and every other guy had some and gone but this guy-" April looked at Matt pointedly and grinned. "This guy stuck around. I was determined not to like him, but Matt has a way of getting under your skin in the best way possible. His laughter is infectious, and his personality is incredible. I don't think I've ever met a more positive person in my life. It's incredibly difficult to be sad or angry when you are around Matt. Matt, when I saw how much you cared for and loved my sister, my mind was made up. You were meant for her, and you were meant to be a part of our family. I am so happy to call you my brother, and I wish you both many, many years of happiness, and lots of babies! God bless!"

April received a round of  applause and there was not a dry eye in the house. JC looked across his table to Teddi, was wiping away tear. He caught her eye, and she mothed shut up, knowing he was silently mocking her. He smiled back. Unbeknownst to her, he was not mocking. He was admiring her beauty. She looked radiant in her satin off the shoulder lavender bridesmaid's dress, her hair pushed out of her face by a flower crown made of white lilies and her long hair falling around her shoulders in spirals. He wished he could get away with taking a picture of the sight before him.

April stepped offstage and walked over to the main table to hug Autumn, who was crying, as well as Matt. Sam, a family friend of Matt's, who was chosen to emcee the reception, stepped up to the mic. "Now that was beautiful. Everyone give April another round of applause!" The audience clapped one again.

After April's speech, Matt's brother, made his Best Man speech followed by Autumn's and Matt's parents. Soon, it was time for the first dance. You and Me by Lifehouse. JC and Teddi looked across the table at each other. Teddi looked back to Autumn and Matt in the center of the dance floor. Love radiated off of them, it was so infectious. They looked so at peace. The kind of peace that you only found when you knew you were with your soulmate. That indescribable feeling that Teddi felt every time she looked into JC's eyes.

The night went on, and the drinks continued to flow. Everyone was basking in the flow of Autumn and Matt's love. JC danced with his ‘date' Francesca, and Teddi danced with hers, Danny. Francesca was and old friend of JC's from his hometown of Bowie, Maryland. Danny was Teddi's gay best friend. With JC being a groomsman and Teddi being a bridesmaid, there was already a certain level of attention on them and the ‘will they or won't they' question. So, they decided to play it lowkey by bringing ‘dates'. When they thought no one was watching, they'd sneak glances and winks at each other, assuming no one would notice. But Autumn noticed, and she couldn't have been happier. She first noticed at the rehearsal dinner. She wanted to be the ‘I told you so' friend but decided to keep her mouth shut until after the wedding. She'd just married her soulmate and took vows to spend a lifetime with him, and now her two best friends were finding out for themselves how incredible that feeling was. The night couldn't have been more perfect.

It was now time for JC and Teddi to sing the songs they'd written for Autumn and Matt. They had wanted to be surprised when hearing the songs, so JC and Teddi rehearsed with the  band in the absence of Matt and Autumn. To compound that, JC and Teddi wanted to surprise each other with their songs, so aside from the duet, they both practiced their individual songs with the band separately.

Sam introduced Teddi first. She walked onto the stage, and in front of the microphone. "Good evening, how's everyone doing tonight?" The crowd clapped lightly. "What an honor it is to be here and to witness two amazing people make a lifetime commitment to each other. I've known Matt and Autumn for a very long time, and to have them in my life has been such a blessing. I'm so humbled and honored to be a part of their story. I wrote this song to honor the love they share. I love you Matt and Autumn, and I hope you like the song!"

Autumn threw Teddi a kiss from the middle of the dance floor, and wrapped her arms around Matt.

The electric guitar started the song, followed by the slow tempo drum beat and acoustic guitar simultaneously. The band played a few bars of a soulful introduction, and Teddi began to sing, her sultry voice perfectly complimenting the soulful sound.

Hey love when I look into your eyes

I get butterflies

Almost every time

(There will always be those butterflies)

Hey love, every time we meet

Boy I get so weak

I can't even speak

Oh no

I wish you could be here all the time

Oh, 'cause baby you belong at my side

Hey, (hey) what more can I say

I'm always thinkin' of you

You make it so easy to love you (you)

Baby baby babe (babe)

It's never too hard to

Revolve my world around you (you)

Hey, (you) you make it so easy to love you

 

Teddi looked out into the crowd past Autumn and Matt, who were completely entranced in their own forcefield of love and found JC. He was slow dancing with Francesca, but his eyes had been fixed on Teddi the entire time. When Autumn asked Teddi to write a song for the wedding, Teddi sat down with the express intent of writing for Matt and Autumn, but when she thought of love and wedding vows and eternity and soul mates, the only person she could picture was JC.

 

Every night we spend

I don't want it to end

Let it start over again

Say, love

With you I feel at ease

Things that seemed important don't seem that important

Don't seem that important

'Least that way to me

Boy you know I hate when you leave

Oh won't you please just stay here with me

Hey, what more can I say

I'm always thinkin' of you

You make it so easy to love you

Baby baby babe

It's never too hard to

Revolve my world around you

Hey, you make it so easy to love you

When Teddi finished the song, the crowd cheered. She watched as Autumn wiped away a tear and Matt waved his arms at her in a bowing gesture. Teddi smiled grateful that they loved the song. "Thank you all so much! Autumn, Matt, I love you guys. Always and forever!" Teddi exited the stage and walked onto the dance floor. She was embraced in a hug by both Matt and Autumn, who each kissed her on either cheek. "Aww, Mom and Dad!" She joked.

"Wow, that was beautiful, thank you Teddi!" Sam said into the microphone. "That's surely a tough act to follow, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the next singer is up for the job. Everyone put your hands together for the, the only, JC Chasez!"

The crowd erupted in loud roars and cheers. Especially, the drunk women, who screamed at an ear-piercing decibel as if no time had passed since the *Nsync days. "Don't worry, he's all yours," Autumn whispered into Teddi's ear. She just couldn't resist.

Teddi turned to look at Autumn, her eyes wide.

"I already know," Autumn smiled.

"How?"

"Shhhh, JC's about to sing!" Autumn completely dismissed Teddi's question and redirected her focus back to the stage.

"Autumn, we've been best friends for over fifteen years now. We've had so many incredible ups and downs together. Laughter, adventures, reality checks, and late-night cry sessions. You've been there through it all. What an honor it is to call you my best friend. Matt, when you started dating Autumn, and it became clear that you were the one, you became my friend as well, and now I'm proud to consider you one of my very best friends. I couldn't think of a more perfect couple and I'm so glad to be able to witness your unconditional love for each other. I wrote this one for you guys!"

"May I have this dance?" Teddi turned around and found Danny with his hand extended, she took it and he spun her around playfully. "We'll just sway back and forth while JC serenade's you- I mean Autumn and Matt, yeah we'll go with that," he winked.

You say you'll be down in five

The smell of your perfume

Is floatin' down the stairs

You're fixin' up your hair like you do

I know that I'll be a mess

The second that I see you

You won't be surprised

It happens every time, It's nothin' new

When JC started to write the song, he thought about all the nights they'd gone out together: to clubs, award shows and industry events. How he'd wait for her on her couch while she primped and pampered herself to perfection. How when she walked down the stairs, finally ready, she'd always take his breath away/

It's always on a night like tonight

I thank God you can read my mind

'Cause when you look at me with those eyes

I'm speechless

Starin' at you, standin' there, in that dress

What it's doin' to me, ain't a secret

'Cause watchin' you is all that I can do

And I'm speechless

You already know that you're my weakness

After all this time I'm just as nervous

Every time you walk into the room

I'm speechless

He looked out into the crowd and locked eyes with Teddi. Danny's back was to the stage, so that Teddi could face JC.

Nearby, Autumn and Matt danced to the music. Autumn watched as JC serenaded Teddi with his heartfelt words. She knew that JC had written this song for her wedding, and it was one of the most beautiful songs she'd ever heard. She couldn't have been more grateful for him and for Teddi and their artistic abilities. But she wasn't stupid. She knew that only Teddi and JC's love for each other could inspire such heartfelt and sentimental lyrics. JC was clearly singing to Teddi and she didn't mind it one bit. She'd found her love, now it was time for her best friends to find each other.

It started when you said hello

Just did something to me

And I've been in a daze

Ever since the day that we met

You take the breath out of my lungs

Can't even fight it

And all of the words out of my mouth without even tryin'

And I'm speechless

Starin' at you, standin' there, in that dress

What it's doin' to me, ain't a secret

'Cause watchin' you is all that I can do

And I'm speechless

You already know that you're my weakness

After all this time I'm just as nervous

Every time you walk into the room

I'm speechless

Yeah, baby

It's always on a night like tonight

I thank God you can read my mind

'Cause when you look at me with those eyes

 

Teddi could read his mind loud and clear, and she was right there with him.

I'm speechless

You're standin' there in that dress

Girl, it ain't a secret

'Cause watchin' you is all that I can do

Ooh ooh, I'm speechless

You already know that you're my weakness

After all this time I'm just as nervous

Every time you walk into the room

I'm speechless

Oh, you know it baby

 

Teddi buried her face into Danny's shoulder and cried uncontrollably.

"Oh, Baby Doll, that man loves you so much," Danny soothed her and rubbed her shoulder.

"I have to get it together," Teddi said, wiping her tears and fanning her face. "We have a song to sing together. Lord Jesus, how am I gonna make it through?!"

"Baby girl, you got this," Danny assured her. "Now get up there and sing to your man!" Danny kissed both of her cheeks and gave her pat on the butt as she made her way to the stage.

"And now, Teddi and I would like to sing a song that we wrote together," JC said into the microphone. He extended his hand as Teddi walked toward him, and she clasped her hand with his.

"That was incredible," Teddi whispered into his ear, and it sent a chill down his spine. She was handed an extra microphone from one of the backup singers, and with a nod from JC, the band started to play. With their fingers interlaced, JC looked directly into Teddi's eyes and began to sing.

I found a love for me

Darling, just dive right in and follow my lead

Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet

Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me

 

'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love

Not knowing what it was

I will not give you up this time

But darling, just kiss me slow

Your heart is all I own

And in your eyes you're holding mine

Teddi held their gaze the entire time. Feeling every word JC sang to her. As far as she concerned, there was no one else there but them.

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark

With you between my arms

Barefoot on the grass

Listening to our favourite song

When you said you looked a mess

I whispered underneath my breath

But you heard it,

Darling, you look perfect tonight

Teddi lifted her microphone and began to sing her verse.

Well, I found a man stronger than anyone I know

He shares my dreams, I hope that someday we'll share a home

I found a love to carry more than just my secrets

To carry love, to carry children of our own

We are still kids, but we're so in love

Fightin' against all odds

I know we'll be alright this time

Darling, just hold my hand

Be your girl, you'll be my man

And I see my future in your eyes

JC and Teddi sang the chorus together.

Well, baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms

Barefoot on the grass while listening to our favorite song

When I saw you in that dress looking so beautiful

I don't deserve this, darling, you look perfect tonight

The instrumental played, and the acoustic guitar joined in. JC lifted Teddi's empty hand up to his lips and gave it a kiss. It was all she could do to not melt right there in the stage. She began to cry, a well of emotions overflowing. She pulled it together just in time for the ending.

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms

Barefoot on the grass, while listenin' to our favorite song

I have faith in what I see

Now I know I have met an angel in person

And she looks perfect, and he looks perfect

No, I don't deserve this

You look perfect tonight

The music stopped. The crowd roared. JC and Teddi took a bow and exited the stage.

"Are you okay?" JC turned and asked her. He brought his hands up to her face, to wipe her tears away. She took his hands in hers.

"Yeah," Teddi smiled, more tears falling. "I need a minute okay?" She let go of his hands and walked off to a nearby bathroom on the facilities.

Once in the bathroom, Teddi shut herself in a stall and collapsed to the floor in a heap of tears. She wasn't sad. She was overwhelmed with emotion. Emotions of love. True, actual love. JC didn't need to say it; she could just feel it. She could feel it in the way he made love to her, the way he stared at her with a gaze so intense it almost unnerved her. The way he held her hand, the way he kissed her. All of the years of picking her back up again. It was him, and it always would be. Years and years of everything she felt for him was coming to the surface and exploding all at once. For the first time in twenty-nine years, she finally knew what true love felt like.

JC waited nervously for Teddi, hoping that he hadn't scared her away. His worst fear was that she'd run from him. He was finally in a place of accepting that she was the one for him, and he'd been terrified that right as he decided to go for it, something would prevent that from happening. He was snapped from his thoughts when he saw Teddi walking back onto the dancefloor. She'd washed all the makeup from her face, which to him, made her all the more beautiful.

"Sorry," Teddi apologized. "It's just- I- weddings..."

"Don't be sorry." JC replied, he brought a hand to her cheek and gently caressed it.

The band stopped playing and the DJ took over. JC and Teddi laughed when they heard the electric guitars.

"That damn Justin," JC laughed.

"He always has a way of interfering, doesn't he?" Teddi asked.

JC leaned into Teddi, and their foreheads touched. "May I have this dance?" Teddi smiled and nodded, and JC led her to the dancefloor. He wrapped his arms around her waist and clasped his hands beneath her lower back. Teddi placed her arms around his shoulders, and they danced to the sound of Justin's voice.

 

'Cause I don't wanna lose you now

I'm lookin' right at the other half of me

The vacancy that sat in my heart

Is a space that now you hold

Show me how to fight for now

And I'll tell you, baby, it was easy

Comin' back here to you once I figured it out

You were right here all along

 

"What are you thinking?" Teddi asked, staring into JC's eyes.

JC searched her eyes, before finally answering. "I'm thinking about how stupid I was on that night four years ago, to lie to you and tell you I never loved you. How foolish I was to think you were only a friend. I've waisted so much time, baby. I love you Teddi, I always have, and I always will. You're it for me. Whatever this is, now? I want to put a label on it. I want all the strings; I want to be tied to you and only you. You own me Teddi and I'm not afraid to say it. Will you be mine Teddi, please?"

Teddi's breath caught in her throat. She'd been longing to hear those words for over a decade. She never thought she'd ever hear JC say what he just said to her. It almost didn't seem real.

"Teddi?" JC asked anxiously, worry clouding his eyes.

"Yes JC, yes!" Teddi cried. She buried her face into his chest, wetting up his suit. "Yes, yes, yes, yes! I love you so much!"

"Baby look at me," JC whispered. His index finger lifted her chin so that she was looking up at him. He wanted her to see him when he said these words. "I love you more than anyone else on this earth, and I promise you that you'll never have to hurt again." JC leaned down to kiss her, and they held each other in an embrace. He had the love of his life in his arms, and now that he had her he was never letting go. Everything was perfect.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Song Credits:

You Sang to Me- Marc Anthony

You and Me- Lifehouse

Easy to Luv You- Stacie Orrico

Speechless- Dan+Shay

Perfect- Ed Sheeran

Mirrors- Justin Timberlake



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story