May 2018

"Josh, can I take the blindfold off yet?" Teddi huffed in frustration.

"Not yet Babe, just a sec," JC laughed as he led her down the hallway of the second floor of their home.

"How long is this gonna take?" Teddi snapped. "My back is killing me!"

"Yikes, someone's grumpy!" JC quipped.

"Sorry Babe, it's just-"

"Pregnancy hormones," JC and Teddi said in unison and shared a laugh.

One week into her third trimester, and Teddi was more impatient and anxious than she had been in the last seven months. The first trimester had been never ending morning sickness. The second trimester, never ending hunger. Now the third trimester? Constant mood swings! Fortunately, JC had the patience of Job, and she was surprised that he hadn't run for the hills.

JC smiled at his wife as an expression of annoyance crossed her face. She was growing more and more impatient by the second. He led her to the doorway and stood behind her. "One," he began to count as he untied her blindfold. "Two..." he dragged.

"Joshua Scott!" Teddi snapped.

JC snickered. "Three!" He ripped off the blindfold, restoring Teddi sight.

"Oh my God!" Teddi exclaimed. "It's perfect!" She turned to JC and wrapped her arms around him. "I love it," she squealed, placing kisses all over his face.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah!" Teddi walked into the room and did a slow three-sixty turn. She observed every inch of the room. She'd had her doubts, but JC really pulled it off down to the last detail. Three of the walls were the exact floral white that she wanted, with the back accent wall painted in the specific shade of blue; a cross between teal and cornflower- called Paradise Sky. The blue accent wall was monogrammed with the initials JSC in white and was positioned right above the crib that was colored the exact seashell white she wanted. The ridiculously expensive crib in which Teddi had insisted on, that had to be imported from Cortina, Italy. Reading horror story after horror story about cribs malfunctioning, Teddi decided that she wouldn't settle for anything but the best for her baby boy.

Teddi walked around the room, taking in every detail. JC watched her every reaction anxiously. Teddi marveled at the wicker baskets, the rustic ash grey chest of drawers and the six-foot stuffed draft leaning against it. She sauntered over to the ivory changing station and read the sign that hung above it; "Of all the things my hands have held, the best by far is you." Teddi felt JC wrap his arms around her to cradle her stomach.

"Josh, this is absolutely perfect," Teddi said gratefully. She brought a hand up and reached behind her to caress his cheek.

"Yeah, well nothing but the best for our baby boy," JC replied sweetly, kissing Teddi's cheek. As if hearing the conversation, Teddi and JC felt their son kick.

"It looks like he agrees," Teddi laughed.

JC took her by the hand and led her across the room. He sat in the rocking chair next to the crib, and Teddi sat in his lap. They rocked back in forth.

"Can you believe it?" Teddi asked. "We're actually married, and we're having a baby. A baby Jace! We made a whole human!"

"I know, right?!" JC replied, continuing to rock. "If someone would've told me fifteen years ago when you walked into that conference room, that you'd be the wife and mother of my child, I wouldn't have believed it."

"So?" Teddi asked, searching his eyes.

"So, what?"

"Fifteen years later, what are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking that I'm happy beyond my wildest dreams," JC replied, staring into her eyes. " I'm happy on a level that I could never conceive of achieving. I love every second of doing this life with you, Ted. And I cannot wait to finally hold our baby boy in my arms. Our child, that was created from our love." Joshua Jr. began to kick again, interrupting them.  JC caressed Teddi's protruding belly, as their son kicked up a storm. JC and Teddi were so overwhelmed with the love they had for their child already. A part of her, and a part of him. "Everything is perfect Teddi," JC smiled. "Picture perfect."

 

 


Completed
Ashley Loves JC is the author of 20 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story