JC sat on the hospital bed, his legs hanging over the side. Lance was sitting next to the bed, quietly waiting for the others to return. Or the nurse to bring JC's discharge papers. Whatever came first.

After two whole days, both he and Chris were being released from the hospital. Currently, Chris was being instructed on how to operate the crutches he would have to use to keep the weight off his leg as it healed from the gunshot wound. Joey and Justin had gone with him under the guise of wanting to hear exactly what the doctor said about any limitations Chris would have in the coming weeks, but JC knew they'd really gone for a change of scenery.

Joey, Justin, and Lance had spent almost all of the last two days in the hospital with him and Chris. When they did leave, they did it in shifts so they could shower and try to grab a couple hours of sleep at the hotel. Though, they usually ended up falling asleep in the uncomfortable chairs situated in the room. So while he and Chris may be the ones just getting out of the hospital, JC was sure the others didn't look much better than them.

As had been the norm the last two days, they had refused to leave him alone. He suspected that was why Lance had stayed behind with him. Despite knowing this, it didn't make the silence in the room uncomfortable. Honestly, JC was happy for the quiet as it helped soothed his nerves and help him to focus on mentally preparing himself for their long trip back to Orlando.

Lance and Joey had checked them out of the hotel earlier that morning, having rounded up the small amount of stuff they'd all brought with them. After JC and Chris were discharged, they would be heading straight for the airport. It'd been agreed upon that leaving as soon as the doctors gave the okay was best given the lingering, albeit thinned out, media presence. Not to mention the general need to put this whole thing behind them.

Lance's phone rang, cutting through the quiet. He pulled it out of his pocket and glanced at the display. "It's Johnny," he said, already rising from his chair. It was hospital policy that you couldn't use your cell phone in the patient rooms. He stood, staring at JC for a moment. "Will you be okay if I step out for a minute?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine," JC said. He refrained from reminding him of their bodyguards that were still stationed throughout the hospital, including outside the door. That'd only been part of Lance's question.

Lance gave a little nod and stepped outside. JC heard his quiet footsteps move further away, growing softer with distance until he couldn't hear them any longer. With Lance gone, JC let his shoulders slump forward as he sighed heavily.

Even though the doctors had reassured them all that every trace of the poison was gone, JC was still feeling the effects from the whole ordeal. He hadn't done much but sleep the last two days - even in spite of his worry - and yet he was still exhausted. He also felt weak and shaky. Though, he did his best to hide it all from the guys as he was tired of them worrying about him.

"Looks like you're luckier than my brother was."

JC froze, though his heart began pounding painfully against his chest. He jumped off the bed, and his legs nearly buckled beneath him from the sudden weight. But he forced himself to remain upright and turned to the door where Tommie stood.

"You don't look too surprised to see me," Tommie said, stepping further into the room and pushing the door shut behind him.

"I'm not," JC said. He swallowed roughly, trying to force back his nerves. As much as he'd expected this moment to happen, it was another thing actually being face to face with the man that'd tried to kill him just a couple days ago. "I know you're here to kill me. To finish what you started."

Tommie quirked an eyebrow. "Is that so?"

"Why else would you be here?" JC asked.

"You wanted a meeting with me, didn't you?"

JC started a bit at that. "Yeah, but..."

His voice trailed off, not brave enough to vocalize the thoughts running through his head. I didn't think you would actually come. I told Lonnie I'd changed my mind. Now that you're here, I'm realizing what an idiot I was to want this.

Tommie moved closer, his hands clasped behind his back as he walked. JC tensed, trying to prepare himself for the worst but not knowing what to expect. To his surprise, Tommie walked right past him and stopped in front of the window, looking out through the narrow slats in the blinds.

"I'm not here to kill you," Tommie said at last.

JC stared at him in surprise and more than a little disbelief. Nothing about Tommie had made him think there was a merciful side to the man. It was largely why he hadn't been able to relax the last couple days. And now he was supposed to believe that the very man that had poisoned him just days ago no longer wanted him dead?

Tommie turned from the window to smirk at him. "It's shocking I know, but you could at least say thank you. I didn't go out of my way to come here and talk to myself."

Even though JC could tell the gang leader was amused, he could also hear the truth in his words. Whatever his reason for coming, he didn't want to piss the man off and make him change his mind. So JC shook himself and took a deep breath, trying to steady his nerves.

"I-I don't understand," JC said.

"I don't exactly understand it myself," Tommie admitted. "I don't usually let people off the hook, especially when they make a deal with me. But you surprised me."

JC frowned. He couldn't think of a single thing he had done that could've surprised the gang leader. Other than surviving the poison, which really wasn't a credit to him at all. That was more on the guys refusing to leave him behind, and Lonnie showing up to save the day. "I did?"

"You gave up your life for your friends and their guaranteed safety," Tommie said. He looked away from JC, shaking his head. "Even though Marc was my step-brother, I loved him. I took him under my wing and looked out for him. But I never..." Tommie paused and then looked JC in the eye as he finished, "If it had come down to my life or his...I'd let him die, and I wouldn't have had a second thought about it."

JC blinked, surprised by the confession but even more so by the glimmer of respect he caught in Tommie's eye. He didn't know why Tommie was telling him all this; he was still waiting for the man to whip out a gun and just shoot him. But he knew he couldn't remain silent - once again, he needed to come up with something to say so as not to piss Tommie off.

"And I would do it again," JC said.

"For a pop star, you're brave," Tommie replied. "Foolish, but brave."

Once again, JC was flummoxed and didn't know how to respond. This conversation hadn't gone at all like he'd thought. Never in his wildest dreams had he thought Tommie would just let it go and leave him alone. Yet, that appeared to be exactly what was happening as Tommie started walking to the door, seeming content to leave their conversation there.

"That's it?" JC asked.

Tommie paused, glancing at him. "That's it."

"But I thought you wanted revenge. For Marc," JC said, the words pouring out of his mouth before he could stop them. His mind screamed at him, demanding to know what the hell he was doing. He cursed himself for not keeping his big mouth shut, but it was too late and all he could do was wait for Tommie's response.

There was a pause before Tommie spoke. "I already did." JC frowned, thinking about how he'd been willing to kill him just a couple days ago even though he'd sworn that Marc's death was solely Sabrina's fault. Tommie noticed and continued, "What I told Sabrina was true. I'd had her followed shortly after Marc died and within a year had found out she'd been the one to kill him. Originally I'd thought she'd had help or was motivated to do it because of her relationship with you."

"I never would've asked her to kill someone just to be with me," JC said. "I'd actually tried to break it off with her when she'd told me about Marc, that she wasn't divorced yet. But she'd made me believe the paperwork was in process and it wouldn't be long. It wasn't until I saw what she'd done to Marc that I'd realized how much she'd been manipulating me."

Tommie let out a humorless chuckle. "She was such a bitch, wasn't she?"

JC gave a little nod. It was a sentiment he agreed wholeheartedly with, and yet, everything in him battled against those feelings. As a kid he'd overheard his parents saying that you didn't speak ill of the dead, and he could hear their voices now playing in his head. Though, he honestly couldn't think of a single good thing about Sabrina.

Tommie glanced at his watch. "I have to get going. Enjoy your life." JC watched as he turned and walked to the door only to pause just before opening it. Tommie looked over his shoulder at him. "Oh and JC? I don't want to see you or your friends caught up in any of my business again. Because if I see you again I might not be so generous."

"Believe me, you won't have to worry about that," JC promised.

Tommie just gave him a nod and then disappeared out the door. JC sighed in relief, sitting heavily on the bed as his shaky limbs felt incapable of holding him up any longer. He didn't get any time to recover though because as soon as Tommie walked out the door, his friends rushed into the room.

"What the hell's wrong with you?" Chris demanded. "What the hell did he say to you?"

"It's over."

JC thought the simple statement would suffice, but Chris was still caught up in his anger and it kept him from hearing the truth JC said. "It never should've happened to begin with, but you need to tell us what he said."

"He's not going to kill any of us," JC said, looking Chris in the eye. Then he glanced at each of the other guys, making sure they all understood him. He repeated, "It's over."

"Are you sure?" Justin asked.

JC couldn't help but laugh. All the guys had done the last couple days was try to convince him that it was over, that Tommie wouldn't come after him. Now he here was finally agreeing with them, saying it was over and they were having trouble believing it.

"If Tommie wanted me dead, I don't think we'd be having this conversation right now."

"What did he say exactly?" Lance asked.

JC could hear the words that Lance didn't say - the ones that they were all thinking. How do you know he won't change his mind? It was a fair question, but it reminded JC that none of them had truly believed it was over; they'd just wanted him to let it go. Otherwise, they wouldn't be asking all these questions now.

"He got his revenge for Marc by killing Sabrina," JC said. "So he said as long as we don't interfere with any of his business again, he'd leave us alone."

Chris crossed his arms over his chest. "And you trust some gang leader to keep his word?"

JC paused, unsure how to answer. Trust was a funny thing, and he wasn't sure he could say with absolute certainty Tommie would keep his word. But at the same time, he didn't see the point in Tommie letting him go now only to kill him later.

He didn't have to try to vocalize any of these thoughts though because Lonnie's voice cut into the room. "I'll be making sure he does."

They all looked at him, JC twisting his body on the bed so he could see Lonnie standing just inside the room.

"How?" Joey asked.

"I'll be staying here," Lonnie said. "I'm rejoining Tommie's crew."

They all looked at him in surprise. Chris had already been questioning Lonnie's allegiance to them, but with this sudden announcement, JC feared the others were second guessing Lonnie as well.

"You don't have to," Lance objected.

"Yes, I do. Besides, it'll be better this way. I'm not wanted here anymore." Lonnie looked at Chris, who had been the most vocal about him leaving.

Chris sighed, his arms unfolding and his posture loosening. "You don't have to do this." He glanced at JC and then looked back at Lonnie, "JC still trusts you."

"But you don't," Lonnie said, his eyes still fixed on Chris. He then continued before anyone could say anything. "It's okay. You're not the only one, and this way...well, it's like I'm still keeping an eye out for you boys."

JC got off the bed, Joey and Justin stepping out of his way so he could move around the bed and face Lonnie. "You don't have to do this, Lonnie."

"I know," Lonnie said, nodding. "I want to though. Let me protect you the way I should've before."

JC stared at Lonnie, frowning. He hated that Lonnie felt this was the best option for him - that he felt it would be impossible to stay with them. Not that he blamed the guys exactly - he was sure he would feel differently if he hadn't been manipulated by Sabrina into being someone he wasn't. He could see the guilt JC felt reflected back at him in Lonnie's eyes, and he understood this was Lonnie's way of redeeming himself for his role in the whole thing. So while he may not like Lonnie's decision, he understood it.

"Keep in touch," JC said. Then he stepped forward and hugged Lonnie. As he often did, he seemed to draw strength from the larger man. Though, he hoped that his hug had helped to ease some of the guilt Lonnie had been feeling since the kidnapping.

"I will," Lonnie promised.

JC stepped away, allowing the others to say their goodbyes. They all hugged Lonnie - except Chris. Though, Chris did shake his hand and offered him a nod of understanding. He may not have forgiven Lonnie completely, but it seemed like he'd begun to recognize the hard position he'd been put in.

As JC watched Lonnie leave, he couldn't help the small bit of jealousy that began to creep up in him. Lonnie had managed to find a way to make up for what he'd done - or at least an honest attempt at it. But JC had no clue how to do the same. He'd been lying to the guys for years - even longer than Lonnie had lied to them - and this whole situation was his fault. He had no idea how to make it right.

The nurse came in then, carrying his discharge papers and interrupting his thoughts. He barely listened as she went through home care, signing his name on all the lines she indicated. All his mind kept going back to was the same thought. How the hell would he make this up to them?

He had no ideas, and he worried that there was nothing he could do. Even worse was the thought that they wouldn't accept any attempt to make things right. JC was certain they had realized he wasn't the man or the friend they'd thought he was, and it was something that just made him feel even more guilty. It also made him realize just how much Sabrina had taken from him, and how fast she'd sunk her claws into him after they'd met.

The memory of the first time he'd met Sabrina was one JC had been fighting revisiting the last couple days in the hospital, particularly when he'd close his eyes and see her dead body. But he'd pushed any of those thoughts away, refusing to let them come to the surface. He continued to do it now as he allowed the guys to lead him out of the hospital, but once he was seated in the waiting car and they were on the way to the airport, he finally lost control of it.

JC was sitting on the ground, his back resting against the brick wall behind him. The sun was shining down as it did nearly every day in LA, and he reached a hand up to wipe sweat from his brow. He desperately wanted to rip off the long sleeved, white button down shirt he was wearing along with his black slacks and trade them for shorts and a t-shirt. But of course, that wouldn't be happening anytime soon. He was only halfway through his shift and had just been asked to stay on until closing - an additional five hours.

His stomach growled loudly, but like most days, he ignored it. Even though he worked at a restaurant, he never ate there on his lunch or dinner breaks. He couldn't afford it, even with the slight discount that employees received. And every day he thought about quitting and becoming a waiter at the diner that was closer his small apartment. He'd thought he would make better money at a more expensive restaurant, more likely to get better tips. Some people did give him a generous tip, but most seemed to give him the bare minimum no matter how good his service was. On occasion he even got stiffed and when this happened he couldn't help the bitter thought "And that's why the rich stay rich" from crossing his mind.

The only thing that kept him from quitting was that it was so close to the few different clubs he performed in as often as he could. It usually only amounted to maybe once a week, but the close proximity made it easier for him to just go straight there from work. Something he would surely be doing tonight. The restaurant closed at ten, and he was due onstage at a nearby club at 10:20. It would give him just enough time to change in his car and walk over.

JC sighed at the thought. He loved to sing, but when he worked extra long shifts he usually lacked energy to do anything. Something he fixed by going home and making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But since he was scheduled to sing that meant he wouldn't get home until at least one in the morning. He didn't know how he was going to make it through the day without eating, especially since the slice of toast he'd eaten this morning had burned off hours ago.

He sipped the free glass of water he always got on his breaks, watching people go by. From where he was sitting along the side of the building, he was able to see everyone as they walked by. Most people ignored him completely, and he didn't bother to even try to offer a smile or make eye contact with anyone. The restaurant was just on the edge of Beverly Hills, which meant he wasn't anywhere close to meeting the social status of the majority of the people who roamed the neighborhood.

There was a tall, thin girl pacing anxiously nearby that caught his attention. She kept stopping every so often, peering up and down the street. She was obviously looking for someone, and considering she was standing in front of the restaurant's main door, she was meeting someone for lunch. Someone who was running late apparently. Or was a no-show. JC couldn't believe such a pretty girl would get stood up, but it was certainly looking like that was the case.

She turned and their eyes met for a second before he quickly looked away, embarrassed that she had caught him. He hadn't meant to stare; what would start as a quick glance would morph into an unfocused look as his thoughts drifted and carried him away. Often he wasn't truly seeing anything, but he knew to other people it seemed like he was staring.

JC was in the middle of drinking more water when he heard footsteps come towards him before stopping just next to him and a smooth female voice said, "Excuse me."

JC looked up and nearly choked on his water. The girl he had been observing had come over, and he felt his stomach churn. Oh god. She had come over to bitch him out about staring at her, hadn't she? He tried to head her off by saying, "Look, I'm sorry I-"

"Sorry for what?" she asked, cutting him off. "I came over to ask if you wanted to eat lunch with me."

JC stared at her, brow furrowed. "What?"

"I know it's probably a foreign concept to you considering how skinny you are, but see, lunch is one of the three meals people eat in the course of a day. Usually between the hours of eleven and two." Her tone was light and teasing, and he couldn't help the blush that appeared on his cheeks. She smiled down at him. "And I'm inviting you to eat with me."

"Why?"

JC knew he sounded like a moron, but he couldn't figure this woman out. Why on earth would she approach someone she didn't know - had never even met before - and invite them to eat with her? People didn't do that. Certainly not people in LA anyway.

"Is it really that much of a hardship to eat with a pretty girl?" She didn't wait for an answer as she said, "My friend was supposed to meet me, but it looks like she stood me up. And I hate to eat alone."

JC still couldn't figure her out. Most people if they were stood up would just go home or pick somewhere else to eat, some place that wouldn't judge you for eating alone. They wouldn't walk over to a stranger and invite them to eat with them. But that was exactly what she'd done, and she seemed to be waiting quite impatiently for his answer.

"Well, I am on break, but it'll be over soon. I don't know how much time-"

JC didn't get a chance to finish what he was saying as she grabbed onto his arm and yanked him to his feet. All the while she said, "Well, c'mon then. My reservation has been ready and we're wasting time."

The first couple of steps she was practically dragging him towards the entrance, but he quickly got his feet under him so he was walking just behind her. She didn't release his hand though. She checked in with the hostess, who JC knew to be Kayla. She raised an eyebrow at him but otherwise didn't say anything, just led them to a small table towards the back of the restaurant.

As soon as they sat down and they gave their drink orders to the waiter (Eric - a guy JC didn't get along with particularly well), she started talking. "Thanks for joining me. My name's Sabrina."

JC gave her a tentative smile. He was still trying to figure her out. It wasn't that he hadn't met any nice people since he moved to LA, but they certainly weren't the norm. Not in this neighborhood. "JC."

"JC," she repeated. He thought she was going to ask him how he got the name because most people did, but she accepted it without question. She smiled at him. "So, JC, what's good here?"

JC's mind blanked. He of course couldn't offer any personal recommendations since he'd never eaten any of the food, but he had seemed to have forgotten all the specials he'd had memorized at the beginning of his shift. "I don't know."

She raised an eyebrow. "You don't know? You work here and you've never eaten the food?"

"No," JC said, looking down at the menu in his hands. He could feel her knowing gaze on him, and he felt his cheeks warm with embarrassment again. This had been a terrible idea. He should've ripped his arm out of her grasp and finished the rest of his break behind the building.

"Well, we'll just have to try a little bit of everything then, won't we?"

JC continued to look at the menu, pretending he was perusing the selections. "I was actually just going to get a side salad," he murmured. He didn't have a ton of cash on him, and that was basically all he could afford. No way did he have the money to try several things off the menu, even if they split the bill.

"JC." JC refused to look up, sure she had him all figured out and was pitying him - or judging him. He was thinking he should just excuse himself and bow out before this got any worse when she grabbed his arm. Her touch made him jump, and it was only when he raised his eyes to look at her that she spoke again. "I asked you to lunch, so I'm not going to make you pay. Your company will be enough payment for me."

Eric returned then, and she removed her hand from his arm, leaning back in her chair. Before JC could say anything, she rattled off a whole list of dishes. It ended up being a couple different appetizers and two entrees with sides that came with salad and a loaf of bread. Once Eric scribbled the order down on his pad and walked away with the menus, JC looked back at Sabrina with a frown.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because I didn't want to eat alone." She looked him in the eye. "And because I can tell there's something different about you. You're special."

"How can you tell? You don't even know me," JC said.

"Not yet," she replied. JC started at her boldness, and she just smiled at him. He'd figured this was just a pity thing, but those two words seemed to indicate otherwise. Nothing about this woman was making sense to him.

"You sound pretty sure of yourself."

"Oh I am. I know what I want, and I always get what I want," she said with a saucy grin.

They'd talked a bit, sharing a couple of appetizers and eating their salad. It'd taken everything in him not to wolf down the food as hungry as he'd been, and he hadn't even gotten to eat the whole meal with her. He'd been just about finished with his salad when he'd looked up and saw his boss peeking out of the kitchen doors, his firm gaze telling JC that his break was up and he needed to get back to work pronto. So JC had apologized to Sabrina and offered to pay at least something, but she'd waved him off.

He'd left the table with great reluctance and had immediately jumped back into waiting on tables after clocking back in. It'd been harder than he'd thought it would be as he'd been distracted with her sitting there eating the rest of the meal by herself, especially since he passed the table every time he went into the kitchen for something. She caught his eye each time he passed and offered him a small smile, which he genuinely returned. They hadn't talked about much during the small amount of time they'd had, but it was enough to allow him to lower his walls. At least a little.

It was when he was in the middle of taking an order that he'd heard her scream. He'd looked up as other customers looked her way, while Eric rushed over to her table asking what the problem was. She'd said she found a roach in her food, relayed her outrage, and insisted she wasn't paying for the meal. Something that JC's boss was called over to approve, and she'd walked out without paying a cent.

From day one Sabrina had known how to manipulate him - and other people - to get what she wanted. Even if he hadn't realized it at the time. It wasn't until they'd been together for a while that he'd put together what she'd done the day they'd met. It was a trick she pulled in a couple restaurants they'd eaten at, slipping a dead bug into her food when no one was looking. One that he'd despised and had been incapable of stopping her from doing.

Looking back, JC wasn't sure how he'd allowed himself to be so weak with her - to allow her to convince him that the stunts they'd pulled weren't wrong. She'd had a rationale for everything, and some part of him had wanted the city and its awful citizens to pay for how badly he was often treated. He'd allowed her to turn him into someone he wasn't.

Since then, JC had done his best to put everything behind him while never forgetting how easily he'd been manipulated. He'd spent the last few years perfecting keeping a watchful eye on the people around them while also appearing like he was too tired to pay attention. His moral compass was in tact again, and he'd tried to make up for all the wrong he'd done with Sabrina since then.

He just didn't know if it was enough.

JC glanced at his friends, each of whom were quiet like they were wrapped up in their own thoughts. He hadn't been straight with them and had hidden a big piece of himself from them. Something he wasn't sure they would forgive. How could they when he'd deceived them for so long?

It was a question he couldn't answer, but one that he needed to know. He had to finally take responsibility for everything that'd happened and give them the choice of whether they wanted to still be friends with him or not. And JC was more than a little afraid of what their answer would be.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Ugh, I am the absolute worst. Again, so sorry for the delay! I think I  underestimate how insane summer is. Only one more chapter after this. Thanks for reading and reviewing, everyone!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story