“Goodnight NYC, I love you!” he said to the screaming crowd before walking off stage. 


“That was AMAZING!!” she said. “Thanks again for the tickets. I’ve never been so close before.”


“D, you’re my best friend. Who ELSE would I bring but the biggest Justin Timberlake fan I know?  I’m just sad we didn’t get VIP or bar, but Jonathan would’ve killed me if I spent that much…”


“I was within 25 feet of him, I’ll take it. The seats I got for a few days from now are basically nosebleeds. Still not used to you and my brother, though…” she sighed. 


“It’s been 6 months, D… Even then, we were together back in high school.”


“Yeah, it was weird for me then, too. I almost wanna tell him you let all those guys buy us drinks during intermission…”


“As long as it’s just drinks, he doesn’t care.”


“You’re the most beautiful woman everywhere we go, you always get stuff like this. I’ll be honest, maybe it’s the alcohol talking, but I wonder if you only like my brother again cause he’s a doctor, making VERY good money, long hours…”


They started walking towards the exit. “You know it’s not like that. We had plans after I graduated, but he got that great offer with the Army. All that medical training, was lucky enough to never see combat, and now junior partner in his practice.”


“That’s not official yet…”


“As of last week it is. He took me out to celebrate…”

 

“I know what that means, and as much as I’ve lived vicariously through the men you’ve dated and slept with, my brother is NOT one I want to hear about.”


“You make it sound like you’ve never dated…”


“Not recently.”


“Hey, I’m glad Paul is out of your life. He cheated on you over and over again, you deserved better.”


“I know.  But it was nice to be with someone, someone that actually found me even somewhat sexy.”


“He took advantage of your low self esteem to get you into bed…”


She sighed. “Yeah. I felt awful after the first time. But better than the alternative, being a fat woman, pushing thirty, and still a virgin.”


“You’d done other stuff with your ex.”


“That was 5 years ago Dani. I spent 3 years single, living through you and your love life until then.”


“Just saying, you settled instead of waiting for the right guy.”


“I WAS engaged, remember? I thought I HAD the right guy; glad I didn’t sleep with him and be more of a mess.”


“You make it so personal…”


“I TRIED just doing the casual sex thing with Paul. A year and a half later and he was talking about marriage.”


“An OPEN marriage, and only so you wouldn’t leave after finding out he cheated on you.”


“You and my brother aren’t casual, I hope not, and at the same time still don’t want to know.”


“No, once he came back into town it’s been only him. I couldn’t do that to him, to you.”


They walked out of the arena, heading towards the nearest subway station. They were only heading down a couple stops, but it was cheaper than a taxi and easier than walking. 


“Paul wasn’t supposed to turn into anything, I didn’t even plan on sleeping with him, it just kinda happened one night. Once I realized what I’d been missing out on, I tried to keep it casual, but then my heart got in the mix. I’m not cut out for that.  I need something real.”


“You knew that the whole time you were together, had plenty of times to end it after he’d cheat.”


“Sex with a cheater is better than no sex at all,” she sighed. “It was AMAZING, so I put up with everything because it was better than the alternative.”


“D, you’re worth MORE than that. You know it.”


“Dani, try telling that to the guys I’d meet online. One or two dates and that would be it. Some would just straight up ask if I’d be DTF, and would block me once I said no. Once guys saw me in person, they’d want nothing to do with me. I’m 35 now Dani, not holding out much hope.”


“There’s someone out there for you, he could be around any corner in this city.”


“You make it either sound super easy, or impossible to find him.”


“I’m just saying you might already know him, or you’ll meet him soon. Come with me to karaoke tomorrow. DON’T bail on me. I know you met Paul there, but it’s been 3 months and I KNOW you miss it.”


“Yeah, I miss everyone else there.”


“Maybe you’ll meet someone at karaoke. Someone to make beautiful music with…”


They got off at their stop and walked up to their apartment. Really more Deana’s than Danielle’s. She’d all but moved in with Jonathan, still paying Deana rent. Danielle crashed on the bed in her room, Deana got ready for bed, torn between the high of being so close to her favorite singer, and the painful realization that it was another night alone. 



Deana’s alarm the next morning went off what she felt was way too early, despite changing her shift from opener to mid shift. She knew she’d be tired from the concert, but still needed the hours.  She got out of bed, showered, and got dressed.  She looked at herself in the mirror.  Khaki pants, black polo tee, hair pulled back into a high ponytail, brown rimmed glasses on.


“Another day of giving the world their coffee,” she sighed.  “Like I’ll ever meet and attract someone with coffee…”


She had a quick breakfast before going to work.  She put in her headphones, her Justin playlist started to play. It got my hyped for the concert last night, maybe it’ll help me ride that high for a while, she thought. 


She soon reached her store, greeting the customers and coworkers inside. She put her apron on and was ready to start her day. 


“You’re all smiles this morning,” her coworker said. 


“I was 25 feet away from Justin Timberlake last night at the Garden,” she hummed. 


“You’ve taken his order, made his drinks before, you’ve been closer than that…”


“That’s just coffee.”


“Whatever.”


He’s right, though. I’ve been closer than I was last night, but it’s totally different. Seeing him perform compared to giving him coffee. 


She was on bar, the mid morning rush kicking in. She was a few drinks in and hitting her groove. She could almost do her job blindfolded. She’d thought about attempting it if it could help her make more in tips. 


She called out drink after drink, making eye contact with the customers picking up. “I have a grande green tea with honey for Justin,” she called. 


She was glad she’d put the cup down before she looked up. There he was, right in front of her. She blinked in shock. 


“Not your usual order,” she said. 


“Yeah, trying something out,” he said. His voice sounded different somehow. 


“Great show last night,” she blushed. 


“Thanks. Gotta get going, thanks Michele,” he said, raising his cup.


Michele, that was her work name. It was easier to pronounce correctly, she’d wished she had a more normal name, or at least better spelling.


“Justin,” she called as he turned to leave, “not sure if this will help, but when my throat hurts I drink a little dill pickle juice. Sounds weird but I swear it helps. Something about the spices or the vinegar.”


“Thanks,” he smiled softly, turning to leave. 


Holy shit, I just had a real conversation with him!! she screamed internally. She knew he came around while he was in NYC, but not enough to be a full regular. She hoped she’d see him a bit while he was in town for a couple shows. Her mood perked up even higher than just listening to his music. Not like I could get someone like Justin, though.



Justin stepped out of the coffee shop towards his suite. His vocal trainer and personal doctor would be coming over soon. Something hadn’t felt right the night before, worse when he woke up that morning. 


He saw a little corner store, stopping inside. He looked down the aisles until he found what he was looking for. He grabbed a couple jars of dill pickles. 


If this doesn’t work, he thought, at least I have something to snack on.  Michele is always so great. I know she’s a fan, but she’s always treated me like a regular person. 


He walked through his front door, putting the pickles on the counter. He flopped onto a couch, doing his best to relax, sipping the tea. The warmth helped his throat, but it was a taste he’d have to learn to like. 


There was a knock on his door, his doctor and vocal trainer arrived together. They heard the raspiness of his voice and started figuring things out. His doctor did an initial exam, making sure it wasn’t something higher up before checking his vocal cords. 


Justin hated this part, he’d gone through it before. They put a scope down his throat to check his vocal cords. 


“I was afraid of this,” his doctor said. “Bruised vocal chords. The tour is just too much strain right now. I’m recommending vocal rest, no talking, not even humming. I know it’s gonna be hard, but it’s this or another surgery, possibly the end of your career.”


Justin’s heart sank. “I get it. I’d rather postpone dates than cancel the whole tour. Fans will be disappointed, but it’s for a good reason.”


“This starts immediately, for at least 2 months. Well check in 6 weeks, but we’re looking at around 8-10 on the safe side, IF you follow orders,” his doctor continued. 


“I hate to say it, but no alcohol.  No coffee, tea is fine, I see you had some already. What’s with the pickles?” his vocal trainer asked. 


“A recommendation I got. Worth trying.”


“Vocal rest and lots of liquids is best. Sorry Justin, but that’s where we’re at,” his doctor said.  “I’ll contact Johnny, he’ll put out a statement and figure out dates. Postponed is better than canceled and done for good, so stick to the plan. I’ll send over more notes as far as foods, drinks, etc. that won’t hurt your progress.”


Justin nodded, silently thanking them. He closed the door as they left, going back to the couch. He didn’t want to move. 


Well, fuck, he thought. 



Deana got home from work, popped dinner in the microwave, and plopped down on her couch to watch some TV. She ate dinner while checking her phone. It buzzed and a notification popped up at the top. 


I’m picking you up at 9, you better be ready. Love you. Dani


I’ll be ready, don’t worry, she replied. 


She watched a little more TV, starting to get ready at 8. Nothing overly dramatic, she’d worn a simple graphic tee the night she’d met Paul. She went with a purple short sleeved shirt, a light grey long sleeved shrug, dark wash jeans and black ballet flats. Simple makeup, eyeliner and mascara, and a lot of mousse in her hair to give her hair more curl and less wave. She felt she needed more than most people, but was pleased with the look. 


She sprayed a little of Victoria’s Secret Angel perfume, her favorite scent. Danielle buzzed her to announce she was there. Deana made her way downstairs, only needing her wallet, phone and keys.


“You look great D, you won’t regret coming out tonight.”

 

“We’ll see,” Deana said. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story